PDA

View Full Version : Why spike fork?

uncledillers
08-15-2017, 03:48 PM
I was just thumbing through the regs and was looking in 7A. It has moose open to OTC tags in areas, but only spike fork. That doesn't make scenes to me. Most other animal species it is older mature animals that are OTC, not young. For instance Elk in 7A are 6 point or more, Sheep generally are full curl, Deer are 4 point at the beginning of rifle season.
I don't get why target young male moose?

Frank grimes
08-15-2017, 04:14 PM
I always thought it was just a money grab. I'm starting to think they don't exist.

Rhyno
08-15-2017, 04:26 PM
To increase hunter opportunity with minimal impact on populations.

emerson
08-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Because it is impossible to hunt for 1 specifically. Very low success rate. Almost like people who look for a life partner online.

todbartell
08-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Easier to identify than a 10pt+ bull, and lots of 1.5 year old bulls will be 3pt+

HarryToolips
08-15-2017, 09:09 PM
The last 3 answers are all true...

40incher
08-15-2017, 09:31 PM
How about ... "It's the bureaucratic dream child". Too bad so many bulls end up shot and wasted to fulfill that dream!

two-feet
08-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Dont forget the deliciousness factor

Timbow
08-16-2017, 06:35 AM
I know a lot of guys in region 5 that would love the opportunity to have a moose season even if it was the spike fork.
I read somewhere that roughly 17% of the moose population falls in this spike/fork combination.

Stresd
08-16-2017, 06:43 AM
I have found that there are certain areas that seem to produce a lot of spikers. Come to the conclusion that genetics seems to play a big part. In an area we hunted over a 40 year period in 5-04 we were always taking tastey big bodied spikers. The dentist in our group says the teeth were at least two year olds plus on a lot of them that we shot. A buddy of mine hunts up around Gwyneth lake area and is almost always coming home with his spiker. Another area out of 100 mile seems to also have a genetic predisposition to regularly produce spikers for another buddy of mine.

BCBRAD
08-16-2017, 07:57 AM
My understanding is that a spike fork is considered a non-breeder, this does not have an adverse effect the 'herd' as much as a breeder.

The criteria of no more than two tines per side may indicate that these animals may not have premium genetics as the same age 3x3 .

It is difficult to discern a +/- 1" sticker in the field, need excellent optics or being very close to be sure......then that sticker could be an inch and a quarter.....depending on who/how it is measured.

If the idea of allowing spike fork hunting is to get more opportunities for hunters, no matter how slim, then that is good if it is a hunt, different story if it is a harvest.

Much prefer a 3x3 season as the result in the management sense would be similar or at least allow a sticker that can be better seen such as 3". This, to me, would make better sense as greater certainty on to shoot or not would be had.

steel_ram
08-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Better than no hunt at all. Often works out well if one person gets an any bull draw for the same area and a friend wants to come along and still be in the game.

HarryToolips
08-16-2017, 12:18 PM
I know a lot of guys in region 5 that would love the opportunity to have a moose season even if it was the spike fork.
I read somewhere that roughly 17% of the moose population falls in this spike/fork combination.
17% of the bulls??

HarryToolips
08-16-2017, 12:22 PM
My understanding is that a spike fork is considered a non-breeder, this does not have an adverse effect the 'herd' as much as a breeder.

The criteria of no more than two tines per side may indicate that these animals may not have premium genetics as the same age 3x3 .

It is difficult to discern a +/- 1" sticker in the field, need excellent optics or being very close to be sure......then that sticker could be an inch and a quarter.....depending on who/how it is measured.

If the idea of allowing spike fork hunting is to get more opportunities for hunters, no matter how slim, then that is good if it is a hunt, different story if it is a harvest.

Much prefer a 3x3 season as the result in the management sense would be similar or at least allow a sticker that can be better seen such as 3". This, to me, would make better sense as greater certainty on to shoot or not would be had.
That's what I heard too, that the cows usually want to breed with the more mature bulls.....IMO, certain areas they should do away with any bull LEH, and on top of the current spike fork season, open up a week long bow only bull season for maybe spike forks again, or maybe 10+ pointers?? Or maybe 3x3's only like your suggesting...as long as our bull:cow ratios in these areas are fine of course..

BornNRazed
08-16-2017, 12:41 PM
I have harvested a few in the last eight years, two of them where pre rut just when the cows start to group up. I found a few light cow calls kept low key will bring them in if your patient. The other was with a large bull post rut following him around, Again it took a long time for him to come out of the bush, probably a good 5 minuits after the large bull ran off.

Timbow
08-17-2017, 04:50 AM
17% of the bulls??

Yeah, I will try and find the study and post a link.

bigredchev
08-17-2017, 06:34 AM
I hear from a CO that it was around 11 percent. Either way they are not common.