PDA

View Full Version : Guide Outfitters rep makes a fool of himself

bogtrotter
08-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Heard someone from the Guide Outfitters today on the CBC protesting the end of trophy grizzly hunting. He made some reasonable points then pissed all over himself claiming that " a lot of deer hunters like to collect the trophy horns ".

Here's a guy supposedly representing the hunting industry in BC and he doesn't know the difference between horns and antlers.

Just give him a red nose and some big shoes !!

bearvalley
08-14-2017, 08:55 PM
I've heard the word "horns" applied to moose, elk, caribou and deer a lot more than the word "antlers".
There must be a lot of us dumb shits out there.

Gamebuster
08-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Anybody have a link to the cbc broadcast? Couldnt find it online

chickenfarmer
08-14-2017, 10:08 PM
He's at least representing the hunting industry. What have you done? Other than piss all over yourself!

Jagermeister
08-15-2017, 12:26 AM
He's at least representing the hunting industry. What have you done? Other than piss all over yourself!

It's a good thing he is representing the guides. An asinine statement like, "" a lot of deer hunters like to collect the trophy horns "" is certainly not beneficial to the guides nor is it helpful to the resident.

Pioneerman
08-15-2017, 06:46 AM

Better to have no rep than one that does damage or appears to be incompetent

dakoda62
08-15-2017, 07:43 AM
But what about the mention in the synopsis where it states Antlers must accompany.

northernguy
08-15-2017, 08:05 AM

Seems like I see a post like this in almost every thread. Constructive and helpful :roll:.

monasheemountainman
08-15-2017, 08:07 AM
It's a good thing he is representing the guides. An asinine statement like, "" a lot of deer hunters like to collect the trophy horns "" is certainly not beneficial to the guides nor is it helpful to the resident.

bingo thats not helping anyone! soon we will have to leave antlers in the bush too

brian
08-15-2017, 08:12 AM
What a bone headed move for an entirely different reason. The general public does not like trophy hunting and that is the idea that a hunter is killing exclusively for the trophy. Even a lot of hunters dislike trophy hunting. On the ladder of social acceptance trophy hunting is about one rung up from dog fighting. Yet almost everybody is good with the idea of subsistence hunting and meat hunting is a rung below that. If you want to present a trophy hunt in a good light to the public then you must bring it into the realm of a meat hunt or it is DOA. But there is absolutely no gain equating a meat hunt with a trophy hunt. That just gives more fuel for opponents of hunting in general.

bearvalley
08-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Hunters are probably the biggest critic of the word trophy.
We really need to pull our head out of our ass, quit differentiating ourselves into different classes of hunters and move forward.
If we left every horn or antler in the bush there would still be a movement to shut down some form of hunting.
You got to remember when you pull the trigger.....you just shot Bambi.

Stroodle
08-15-2017, 09:39 AM
What a bone headed move for an entirely different reason. The general public does not like trophy hunting and that is the idea that a hunter is killing exclusively for the trophy. Even a lot of hunters dislike trophy hunting. On the ladder of social acceptance trophy hunting is about one rung up from dog fighting. Yet almost everybody is good with the idea of subsistence hunting and meat hunting is a rung below that. If you want to present a trophy hunt in a good light to the public then you must bring it into the realm of a meat hunt or it is DOA. But there is absolutely no gain equating a meat hunt with a trophy hunt. That just gives more fuel for opponents of hunting in general.

^^^bone headed^^^ good one - covers both antlers and horns i'd say :smile:

brian
08-15-2017, 10:27 AM
That made me laugh

finaddict
08-15-2017, 11:05 AM
I have to admit I have a problem with people referring to antlers as "horns" .

bogtrotter
08-15-2017, 02:39 PM
I never twigged on the "deer trophy" aspect being so open to negative interpretation as people pointed out above. It is probably a bigger gaffe than the "deer have horns" comment.