PDA

View Full Version : Sock liners? Yes or no?

ajr5406
08-13-2017, 07:53 PM
How many of you guys use sock liners with your hunting boots?

I saw a recent Randy Newberg video on sock and boot systems and the guys at Kennetrek (obviously experts in the boot system) recommend them. The Argument is that any friction is happening between the sock liner (synthetic) and the sock (merino), NOT between the sock and the heel.

Whats the verdict for HBC folks? If you wear them, what ones do you recommend. If not, why not?

Frank grimes
08-13-2017, 08:02 PM
I use the helly Hanson polypropylene ones when it's cold out in my work boots. I wear a thick wool sock over top and use unisulated boots. But I doesn't get that cold in Kamloops. Never got any blisters though, and my feet didn't get too sweaty.

Big Lew
08-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Yes, I use sock liners in boots, especially if I'm doing a lot of walking and climbing etc.
I use 'wick away' material made by several manufacturers for my inner socks, and either
another pair or wool depending on the boots for the outer. Since moving away from
cotton or just one sock I've not had any foot issues at all.

Hunt'n Guide
08-13-2017, 08:32 PM
I wear Wright sock stride right double layer socks as liners under wool socks. Never get blisters.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Absolutely. Never get blisters. My feet seem lost without them.

The Smell they can generate is a whole other subject.

SSS

IslandWanderer
08-13-2017, 08:33 PM
I wear these, and only these, every day of my life. Hunting, work, anything. Double layer, wicking, low friction.

https://wrightsock.myshopify.com/

I never wear boots for hiking and hunting, only mid-height approach shoes that cover my ankle bone. I think that the notion that boots provide 'ankle support' is a myth.

IslandWanderer
08-13-2017, 08:34 PM
I wear Wright sock stride right double layer socks as liners under wool socks. Never get blisters.

Lol, I posted the same before I even read your post.

bigbuzz
08-13-2017, 08:58 PM
yes, always in my hunting boots, Scarpas and now hanwag, no blisters or sweaty feet.

Seth
08-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Yes. I use the Fox River merino wool liners. Wouldn't go without them now.

Big Lew
08-13-2017, 09:16 PM
I wear these, and only these, every day of my life. Hunting, work, anything. Double layer, wicking, low friction.

https://wrightsock.myshopify.com/

I never wear boots for hiking and hunting, only mid-height approach shoes that cover my ankle bone. I think that the notion that boots provide 'ankle support' is a myth.

Not only have I done a lot of hiking, mostly in mountainous terrain, I used to take youth
groups as well. Many times over the few years of taking those youths I had to address
swollen and twisted ankles because of poor or no ankle support. Tape and mole skin were
'must have' items even on fairly short trips. Although mature people that have experience
and many trips under their belt are far less likely to twist an ankle when wearing low light footwear,
it does happen. With the huge variety of light hunting and hiking boots with ankle support
available now-a-days, it's good insurance against such injuries and the difficulty of getting back.

IslandWanderer
08-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Not only have I done a lot of hiking, mostly in mountainous terrain, I used to take youth
groups as well. Many times over the few years of taking those youths I had to address
swollen and twisted ankles because of poor or no ankle support. Tape and mole skin were
'must have' items even on fairly short trips. Although mature people that have experience
and many trips under their belt are far less likely to twist an ankle when wearing low light footwear,
it does happen. With the huge variety of light hunting and hiking boots with ankle support
available now-a-days, it's good insurance against such injuries and the difficulty of getting back.

Lol, short of a ski boot or leg cast, no leather (no matter how tight) can compete with weight of a human being rolling their ankle. Wear high boots if they're comfortable, but I believe that the key is being agile and able to feel the loss of traction/support under the shoe so there's a chance to react. However, ankle coverage does provide protection against impact- which is great.

Big Lew
08-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Lol, short of a ski boot or leg cast, no leather (no matter how tight) can compete with weight of a human being rolling their ankle. Wear high boots if they're comfortable, but I believe that the key is being agile and able to feel the loss of traction/support under the shoe so there's a chance to react. However, ankle coverage does provide protection against impact- which is great.

"being agile and able to feel the loss of traction/support under the shoe so there's a chance to react."

That's true for sure, but in my experience, including being a CSO for big construction related companies
for many years, even someone that's in great shape and agile sometimes can't react in time if they step
on something that rolls, steps into a deep hole or crevice covered by foliage etc, or onto something very
slippery like a hidden slimy branch or root. That's why WorkPlace BC insists on footwear with ankle support
on many jobsites. I will concede though that even with heavy duty logging boots, sometimes there's ankle
injuries anyway.

Treed
08-13-2017, 10:17 PM
The wright sock is the right sock. I have used the double layer socks but now just use the single layer in my boots. Never had a hotspot with them. Even double as dress socks. Best socks I've ever owned. Think I have 10 pairs currently! Under bamma boots in my caulks, alone in everything else. They are great.

IslandWanderer
08-13-2017, 10:21 PM
"being agile and able to feel the loss of traction/support under the shoe so there's a chance to react."

That's true for sure, but in my experience, including being a CSO for big construction related companies
for many years, even someone that's in great shape and agile sometimes can't react in time if they step
on something that rolls, steps into a deep hole or crevice covered by foliage etc, or onto something very
slippery like a hidden slimy branch or root. That's why WorkPlace BC insists on footwear with ankle support
on many jobsites. I will concede though that even with heavy duty logging boots, sometimes there's ankle
injuries anyway.

Worksafe lists both abrasion protection and ankle support as reasons for high ankles.

Check this out. It would seem to explain what I've noticed first hand in construction and recreationally.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943374/

IslandWanderer
08-13-2017, 10:24 PM
The wright sock is the right sock. I have used the double layer socks but now just use the single layer in my boots. Never had a hotspot with them. Even double as dress socks. Best socks I've ever owned. Think I have 10 pairs currently! Under bamma boots in my caulks, alone in everything else. They are great.

Also, the wright sock is durable and made in the U.S.

srupp
08-14-2017, 12:45 AM
Hmm I've used the fake silk socks. .poly? As a base layer under wool socks..
What store sells Wright socks?
Thank you
Steven

ajr5406
08-14-2017, 05:57 AM
Thanks all for the comments and recommendations.

where in BC can you buy the Wright Socks???

IslandWanderer
08-14-2017, 06:22 AM
Thanks all for the comments and recommendations.

where in BC can you buy the Wright Socks???

I buy mine at MEC. I buy the largest ones (x-large, I'm a 12 shoe) as I find they fit snug. Can order them online from mec as well. About $12 a pair but last for a very long time. I think they have different socks- I get the gray ones as I think they seem stronger.

IslandWanderer
08-14-2017, 06:25 AM
Hmm I've used the fake silk socks. .poly? As a base layer under wool socks..
What store sells Wright socks?
Thank you
Steven

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5026-380/Double-Layer-Coolmesh-II-Quarter-Socks

Glenny
08-14-2017, 07:17 AM
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5026-380/Double-Layer-Coolmesh-II-Quarter-Socks

Thanks for the link. I may just have to order a pair or two.

RiverOtter
08-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Bought smart wool liner socks a few years ago, but have never used them for anything other than keeping foot funk out of my down sleeping bag at night. 😀
Not that liners don't serve a purpose, but since I switched to Thorlo Extreme Trekking socks, I've never felt the need for a liner. Sprinkle a bit of foot power inside the sock each morning and my feet smile all day long.

For me, anything other than wool and it goes no where near my feet. Synthetic anything is a recipe for horrendous stink. If/when I get a wear spot in the heal of my boot, I simply get the local cobbler to stitch in a leather strip from the top boot seam to the heel bed; stitched up top on existing seam and glued below, so the gore-tex liner isn't compromised.