PDA

View Full Version : Driving Kamloops to Whistler

heybert
08-11-2017, 05:33 AM
Morning folks. Wanted to see if anyone can shed a light on driving conditions from Kamloops to Whistler. I was looking at heading to Cache Creek, then Lytton, then Hwy 12 to 99. Or should I head to Merritt, then Lytton, then Hwy 12 to 99? Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

ryanb
08-11-2017, 06:41 AM
www.drivebc.ca

heybert
08-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Thanks. Already on there. Traffic cams only give you so much.

Stroodle
08-11-2017, 08:05 AM
The route you mentioned is the one that we just did and some friends as well - no issues with that one - the Lytton to Lillooet section is a bit narrow and windy so it is not a fast route but is just fine.

patbrennan
08-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Several years ago I took the route thru Lillooet to Whistler. Scenic, but pulling a trailer was not my idea of fun. I'd not be too keen to do that again with a travel trailer behind me!

Bugle M In
08-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Duffey lake road is hard on trucks/trailer combos.
Lots of pulling uphill, with sharp turns, and hard acceleration.
Lots of downhills, sharp turns and constant braking.
Beautiful and scenic drive.....but not lately with the fires....you can't see anything at times up there,
so what is the point if you cant see much.
If you just have a truck or car...or better yet...motorcycle, it's a nice drive....
I just came back thru there, and with a truck with camper and trailer...
I won't do that again...too hard on the truck.
(mind you, I drive it pretty hard)

Harvest the Land
08-13-2017, 02:50 PM
The Duffy is intense if you haven't driven roads with lots of switchbacks before. Be prepared to smell your brakes getting really hot, and make sure your brakes are in good shape before you go (they will take a beating). Beautiful drive - enjoy it!

grovecdn
08-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Awesome route.......if you are on two wheels. ;)

Bugle M In
08-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Awesome route.......if you are on two wheels. ;)

Exactly....that is the best way to travel that trail!

Pemby_mess
08-14-2017, 12:41 PM
I've been "commuting" over the duffey for about the last 10 years. It's been vastly improved in the last few. Most of the one lane wooden bridges are gone, have been replaced, and the worst hairpins re-engineered. I now consider it a thoroughly enjoyable drive with any number of wheels underneath me, or behind me.

in my observations of watching tourists driving it, I'll say they go slow (good) but quite often they ride their brakes down the hills (bad). Your brakes are much more effective with strong intermittent pulses. Riding them may give the driver the impression of control, but heat is always building up without time to dissipate. Worst case scenario is getting something called "brake fade". Of all the roads in the province, I can't think of anywhere more likely for it to happen than coming down the Duffey's west slope. Best to gear down, and pulse the breaks on and off. Set your trailer brakes appropriately and test them periodically as you proceed.

heybert
08-14-2017, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the info. Took the route through Cache Creek and down to Lytton, through Lilooet, then Whistler. Temp was as high as 41 degrees. Saw 2 fires from the road and a few sheep along the way. Ther wasn't much traffic when we went through, but some people (e.g. Tourists) shouldn't be driving this route. I still remember when the Duffy wasn't much better than an FSR