PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cam: Big score, not

VFX_man
08-08-2017, 11:42 AM
So bummed, checked the camera after 5 weeks . . .

This is on private property well back from the FSR and way up the FSR . . . but am concerned that someone tampered with it.

When I got to the spot, there was a dried piece of wood [like a walking stick] on the trail pointing right at it with 4 large pieces of tree bark in a square arranged around the stick. This was not there before.

The card was totally image free, and it always nabs a couple of me when I set it up and I know it was on when I left it last time with 50% battery life [filled with 24 AA batteries].

The camera is dead and will not power up, I see some internal rusting [it's waterproof].

My instinct says someone found it, copied and wiped the card, took a piss inside of it to short it out and re-hung it - yes, seemed hung better than I remembered.

Switched in a new "dual" camera set-up - then took and verified there are images on the card so will know if something is rotten in Denmark if it happens again.

Did get this female Jackalope after a 48 hour wait. ;)

Got 10 additional cameras deployed this weekend in some prime habitat, so can't wait to see if they capture anything . . . and stay put.

-VFX

http://i.imgur.com/2xhWgl8.jpg

HarryToolips
08-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Aliens.........lol jk that is annoying isn't it...I had an SD card stolen once, very bummed...

VFX_man
08-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Aliens.........lol jk that is annoying isn't it...I had an SD card stolen once, very bummed...

Yes, bummed. Hopefully the 10 new ones will fare better. They are spread over a 113km loop . . . so chances are good they will be ok.

buckshot
08-08-2017, 04:47 PM
So if it's waterproof, someone pissed inside, upon opening the door did you get wet?

VFX_man
08-08-2017, 05:16 PM
So if it's waterproof, someone pissed inside, upon opening the door did you get wet?

It had some rust spots inside . . . thinking it was a "add liquid" "short it out" then "shake it off". There has been no rain up there since I deployed it . . . so one wonders

Squamch
08-08-2017, 06:30 PM
That's why mine are in steel security boxes.
Hope you don't have any more tampered with.

Harvest the Land
08-08-2017, 07:49 PM
^^^^This^^^^

I have 10 cameras spread out in 2 different hunting spots (reg 2 and 3) and eventually every single one of them had a bear trying to chomp on them, and if I didn't have them protected in security boxes they would have been toast.

Hopefully you'll get some action on your next card pull

dereke
08-09-2017, 08:23 PM
As said boxes and cable locks do wonders. If they go further than that ie. cutting the tree down they need the cam more than I ever will.