PDA

View Full Version : Share your wolf hunting tips to help the ungulates

Golddust
08-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Hi guys,

I've talked with a regional gov biologist as well as listening to what people on here have to say as well as information from other sources. What people are saying about hunting predators is true; we need to do it to help our ungulate populations. Predator hunting this year is even more important as the fires are devastating important habitat for our vegetarian buddies (the ungulates).

Anyways, enough backstory on why we need the information, but how would you more veteran predator hunters go about hunting wolves?

Lets see some posts. Lets get some information. Lets help out the animals we love to hunt.

hunter1947
08-07-2017, 05:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be_BOhOnuUU

LBM
08-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Hi guys,

I've talked with a regional gov biologist as well as listening to what people on here have to say as well as information from other sources. What people are saying about hunting predators is true; we need to do it to help our ungulate populations. Predator hunting this year is even more important as the fires are devastating important habitat for our vegetarian buddies (the ungulates).

Anyways, enough backstory on why we need the information, but how would you more veteran predator hunters go about hunting wolves?

Lets see some posts. Lets get some information. Lets help out the animals we love to hunt.

Some funny stuff there "Lets help out the animals we love to hunt" all your trying to do is change how does the killing of the ungulates
nothing to do with conservation.
The people that get on the kill the predator kick to save things quit often are causing more of a problem.

Wild one
08-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Some funny stuff there "Lets help out the animals we love to hunt" all your trying to do is change how does the killing of the ungulates
The people that get on the kill the predator kick to save things quit often are causing more of a problem.

Its called balance if you are going to take prey you should limit predators as well

Really simple but most today don't realize it.

Wild one
08-07-2017, 07:04 AM
As for predator hunting tips I suck at it but not bad a trapping so will do my part that way

604ksmith
08-07-2017, 07:41 AM
I don't actively hunt wolves, but have had shooting opportunities on three separate occasions being successful on one. Out of my three experiences, my tips are:

1) Wolves tend to patrol longer distances than bears, or at least quicker than bears. Find moose or cattle populations and stay in the area, wolves will circle back daily, or close to it. (x2)
2) Calling for moose has called in more wolves for me than small game or wolf calls. (x3)
3) Stay incredibly still. Once you hear wolves find cover and stay upwind. (x3)
4) Don't take the first shot that presents itself, patience is key and more wolves will emerge if you stay still and upwind. (x2)
5) If wolves spot you and decide to investigate, one wolf will approach head on, while others circle. (x2)
6) If a shot is taken, be prepared for chaos as wolves will run in all directions. BE CAREFUL OF SHOOTING LANES! (x1)
7) If a wolf is killed the other wolves will eventually return to investigate. Secondary shots are possible, but likely at the edge of thick timber. (x1)

These tips are just my experiences from the Chetwynd, Tumbler Ridge, and Kamloops areas. The "x's" above indicate out of three experiences how many each tip occurred.

Golddust
08-07-2017, 07:53 AM
LBM - "Some funny stuff there "Lets help out the animals we love to hunt" all your trying to do is change how does the killing of the ungulates
The people that get on the kill the predator kick to save things quit often are causing more of a problem."

LBM its not funny stuff; its serious. Populations of mule deer as well as moose are, in general, on the decline. I talked to an ungulate biologist about the issue. Due to fragmented deep timber habitat these animals are having a difficult time "hiding" from predators. They use our roads, railways, ect as highways to wherever the ungulates are quickly and are - paraphrased from the biologist himself. I was also told by the biologist that doing our part in reducing predator numbers to assist the animals in recovery. I'm not saying killing predators will fix the problem. It won't. As with any real life issue there are a number of factors that are involved with the declining populations and we, as hunters, are conservationists as well; if the biologists say that we need to help them by managing predator numbers than we should play our part. Instead of critiquing with uninformed uneducated opinions do something pro-active and make a difference.

Golddust
08-07-2017, 08:06 AM
For the guys trying to teach those with less experience, thanks for the tips and keep them coming!

Wild one
08-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Many seem to forget that in the past predators were target a lot harder by hunters and trappers. Trapping alone was a lot more active in the past do to higher fur value and traplines were not going inactive as they are now. Govt has basically ignored there own regulations keeping lines active making it difficult for those who wish to trap. Only a small number of lines have been auctioned off recently with many still siting inactive. Lots of guys try to get into it and lines are in demand but many give up after years of not being able to find one.

Many of the old time hunters shot preds on sight not as common now. Talk to old ranchers and many also went out of there way to thin predators

Than add in the use of poison in the past

Predators in BC have rebounded to a much higher population than the past because of all the changes to what once impacted their numbers

HarryToolips
08-07-2017, 08:20 AM
What are you on about, taking preds at any time is a good thing, and definitely not detrimental to ungulates unless your destroying habitat in the process..

LBM
08-07-2017, 08:40 AM
What are you on about, taking preds at any time is a good thing, and definitely not detrimental to ungulates unless your destroying habitat in the process..

I disagree, what falls under the list as a predator to you.

gcreek
08-08-2017, 11:54 PM
For the guys trying to teach those with less experience, thanks for the tips and keep them coming!

Be be ready and shoot when you see them. Most don't stand there gawking like we humans do.

bloody bellies
08-09-2017, 09:24 AM
shoot a ungulate, stake the remaining carcass to the ground, and wait, go early morning or late evening, then bang. Or set up a blind, sleep all day, get up eat dinner, sit in the blind all night and wait, also stake some meat to the ground.

ursusbait
08-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Great idea Golddust! I'll be learning as well.

Linksman313
08-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Can we please move the "should we kill preds" to a new or umpteenth million existing thread on the subject and let the OP's intent of actually learning how to hunt wolves continue? Keep the tips coming, Wolves already appearing around the Moose stand cams mid August!

IronNoggin
08-09-2017, 04:30 PM
... The people that get on the kill the predator kick to save things quit often are causing more of a problem.

This is truth.
Although it may "feel good" to you to shoot a wolf or two, in fact what you are often doing is splintering the pack in question, which in turn creates more breeding pairs, more litters, and thus more wolves. Hunting has never, and will never have much of a positive impact in reducing overall numbers. Simply the way it is.

Trapping and poison were the effective tools of the trade in keeping their numbers within reason. Today trapping is a mere shadow of what it once was, and poison is out of the question.

If it lets you feel like you are making a difference, go ahead, shoot as many as you can. But realize that by doing so, you are most likely contributing to the very problem you suggest you wish to address.

What we need is a dedicated program of removal, undertaken by professionals that know what they are doing.
Unfortunately I do not see this occurring under the present, nor really any government's rule... :frown:

Sadly,
Nog

Golddust
08-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Agreed, linksman. Please, I (along with other newer hunters) just want some tips from some guys with experience hunting them.

LBM
08-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Can we please move the "should we kill preds" to a new or umpteenth million existing thread on the subject and let the OP's intent of actually learning how to hunt wolves continue? Keep the tips coming, Wolves already appearing around the Moose stand cams mid August!

The thread says "share your wolf hunting tips to help ungulates" so a tip was given, read ironnoggins post will explain it a bit.

LBM
08-09-2017, 07:40 PM
This is truth.
Although it may "feel good" to you to shoot a wolf or two, in fact what you are often doing is splintering the pack in question, which in turn creates more breeding pairs, more litters, and thus more wolves. Hunting has never, and will never have much of a positive impact in reducing overall numbers. Simply the way it is.

Trapping and poison were the effective tools of the trade in keeping their numbers within reason. Today trapping is a mere shadow of what it once was, and poison is out of the question.

If it lets you feel like you are making a difference, go ahead, shoot as many as you can. But realize that by doing so, you are most likely contributing to the very problem you suggest you wish to address.

What we need is a dedicated program of removal, undertaken by professionals that know what they are doing.
Unfortunately I do not see this occurring under the present, nor really any government's rule... :frown:

Sadly,
Nog

Good post some good points but doesn't just happen with wolves shooting the wrong cat and possible bear can cause more problems as well.

albravo2
08-09-2017, 07:46 PM
As someone else said, be ready to shoot quick unless they are coming in to your call. If you get a glimpse it likely won't last long.

snipersights
08-09-2017, 08:01 PM
I hunted them last year up in cowichan with a rabbit distress call and a vibrating rabbit decoy. I never saw any it was my first time but I'll tell ya it was fun. Tons of snow tracks everywhere heard some howling. I'll be back up there this winter in full force once deer season is over.......... if we get a deer season

srupp
08-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Oct. .near Teslin lake called in almost as many wolves as bull moose with cow calling..
Shot 3..in the group of hunters..2 moose..lol
Steven

Linksman313
08-11-2017, 01:32 PM
The thread says "share your wolf hunting tips to help ungulates" so a tip was given, read ironnoggins post will explain it a bit.

So still waiting for your tips on pred hunting there LBM instead of your thread killing attitude, maybe you can step aside and let people share their methods of pred hunting instead of trying to hijack and shut down someone else's genuine question?

No disrespect Noggin or your truth, but along with identifying issues with untrained or green pred hunters, it sounds a lot like you are discouraging fellow hunters for going out and trying to make up for the shortfalls of the "professionals"? Any solutions you can think of or tips to help us out?

gcreek
08-11-2017, 10:46 PM
As someone else said, be ready to shoot quick unless they are coming in to your call. If you get a glimpse it likely won't last long.

Patience can be a virtue also. A quick kill with one shot and find a nice place to sit without moving far. Most times another pack member or more will show up to investigate. Be ready......

snipersights
08-11-2017, 10:57 PM
I'm no wolf expert so this is a question. ooo buck be a good idea for wolves? With the close range and all?

Huntfarm2
08-12-2017, 06:44 AM
I've had success howling near denning areas as well as howling after finding fresh tracks or a kill. Howl an sit

gcreek
08-12-2017, 08:06 PM
I'm no wolf expert so this is a question. ooo buck be a good idea for wolves? With the close range and all?

You likely won't see them that close unless you are in a helicopter

Golddust
08-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Awesome tips guys. When's the best time? I was thinking of hunting them primarily in the winter (starting in Dec.) Just because that's when I'll have more time to get out.

Are they responsive to howling at all times of the year?

nature girl
08-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Probably saw about 4 or 5 wolves in my life you see them they see you and they are gone. Like a flash. So always expect the unexpected.
Until last year was out deer hunting look up the road and there are like 6 or 7 wolves walking towards me the one at the back came to the front crouching so that is the one I shot. And it was the greatest feeling ever. I always wanted a wolf. And yes if I had the chance again I would definitely shoot another wolf.
The taxidermist did say if you shoot a wolf gut it right away as it can go green. As wolves have a lot of bacteria in them and it can make the hair slip.
And pack and wear gloves while gutting the wolf.

steveo
08-13-2017, 01:58 PM
It wouldn't hurt to spray the pelt down really well with raid and put it in a garbage bag for a few hours either.

BigfishCanada
08-14-2017, 03:35 PM
wolf are thick in my area, thicker than the past 20 years by 10x easy

mr eagle
08-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Agree with BigfishCanada, his are a has become infested with wolves. Would be a good area for a wolf hunt?

Outcast
08-28-2017, 09:06 PM
32 posts and some info...but more BS...reminds me of the old timers who say hey you shouldn't be able to own that gun, only the military should have that. The bottom line is there is a season for wolf, some regions have limits while other have NBL. So if you have something to offer regarding wolf hunting, great. If you want to go off about how it's hurting the elk, moose, blah blah... then start your own thread on why we shouldn't hunt them so I can avoid that thread.

Im looking forward to getting out and trying some things out and hoping to hit a wolf, and maybe a cougar.
Hopfully some good info comes in.