PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the Alaska hwy!

1 shot 1 kill
08-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Its been 30years since i was north of Dawson..
Used to go every year growing up till i was 13.
Been plannimg to go the last 2 yrs with my family of 5 and going to bring my parents as well for a 3 generations trip.
Looking forward to it, no plan or itinerary
Just follow the road and see where we land along the way. Might hit the Yukon not sure yet.
Have 21 days to do the trip should be interesting for the kids.
Bringing along the toy hauler so will bring rifles and 1 quad(if no bans get put in place in the peace) incase we do a lil hunting along the way.
Not the main goal, like it was growing up but a nice option. If any bulls are seen ill be hoping our 11yr old gets the shot��
Leaving the 16th 1st night around Dawson then heading up to sikini chief area for few days then venture lil more north.
Kids are getting excited..
Good ole times
I know its changed massively in 30years but should be a good trip.
Any good spots to camp or hike fish etc along the way were open to ideas? Will prob bring the aluminum as well. Lol
All but the kitchen sink so parents are comfy and tine is enjoyed��

S.W.A.T.
08-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Hot springs are a must, most dug out water holes along the road towards profit river are stocked and good for a little fish. Toad river is a nice spot, try the cinnamon buns. Many river side pull outs as well.

Linksman313
08-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a great adventure with a few generations along!! Have a great time

walks with deer
08-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Fish any pool along the toad with a spinner or minnow pattern for grayling. Muncho has huge trout and great scenery.. learn the maps to undersrand where and what you can hunt..

1 shot 1 kill
08-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Fish any pool along the toad with a spinner or minnow pattern for grayling. Muncho has huge trout and great scenery.. learn the maps to undersrand where and what you can hunt..

Yes been mapping lately..know what i can hunt and area
Looking forward to taking kids to catch grayling like i used to do when i was a kid.
Heading out tomorrow for last 8 day stint at work then off we go.

scoutlt1
08-07-2017, 10:43 AM
It will be a great trip I'm sure! 21 days too! :)

Try and time it so you can stop in at Jack's place and feast on the best breakfast going....Double G Service at Muncho Lake.

moosinaround
08-07-2017, 11:54 AM
replied to PM, Like I said, if there is anything else shoot me a PM. Have fun, I'm jealous, your seeing some beautiful country! Moosin

1 shot 1 kill
08-07-2017, 11:55 AM
replied to PM, Like I said, if there is anything else shoot me a PM. Have fun, I'm jealous, your seeing some beautiful country! Moosin

Sounds like a place to visit..
I remember going to Mays kitchen for a treat dinner an fresh baked bread when we hit town lol so to speak

Surrey Boy
08-07-2017, 12:25 PM
You're in for an awesome time. I'm envious.

Big Lew
08-07-2017, 02:15 PM
I've thoroughly enjoyed travelling that hwy many times, including the whole road by bicycle.
The hwy is now a modern well maintained paved hwy, not the always winding gravel and mud
road with many steep hills that it was the first few times. Were you not also hoping to get in some
hunting, driving to Dawson City, and then crossing the river to drive the 'Top of the World Hwy'
into Alaska is a great trip. Driving the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik is another very scenic trip but
needs special attention as there are very limited facilities except Eagle Plains.

1 shot 1 kill
08-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Well its not what it used to be thats for sure.
But its been a great trip so far.
We drive up to ft nelson hit the Andy/baily for couple days night hunters made us leave early..wanted to go to komie but lil far in for family so instead
Took family up to ft liard in the NWT for a overnight stay beautiful area.
Didnt make muncho as my dad an bro wanted to hunt the old haunts so went back to buckinghorse for 4 days saw 3 cows but no calves few caribou..great scenery in the redfern! Awsome trip in..saw a huge grizz standing up on hinds about 80yards off in the alder as i hiked thru to meet my wife on quad on the other side .
Hit the sikanni now last couple days seen 2 more cows no calves..5 caribou got some nice pics of 2 that played around in front of me following along..lol
Managed to get a trip into trimble lk yesterday..lots of guys there hunting off horses got 3 bull moose last couple days
Hiked the sikanni falls..
Now spending day with lil ones grayling fishing caught 12 so far catch n release, making kids rabbit lunch from this morning.
Looking to head to chetwynd for 4-5days tomorrow now try for any bull there if theres much left around there.
See what happens..
Ill set up an imgur? Account i think it was to post pics up once home.

1 shot 1 kill
08-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Well its not what it used to be thats for sure.
But its been a great trip so far.
We drive up to ft nelson hit the Andy/baily for couple days night hunters made us leave early..wanted to go to komie but lil far in for family so instead
Took family up to ft liard in the NWT for a overnight stay beautiful area.
Didnt make muncho as my dad an bro wanted to hunt the old haunts so went back to buckinghorse for 4 days saw 3 cows but no calves few caribou..great scenery in the redfern! Awsome trip in..saw a huge grizz standing up on hinds about 80yards off in the alder as i hiked thru to meet my wife on quad on the other side .
Hit the sikanni now last couple days seen 2 more cows no calves..5 caribou got some nice pics of 2 that played around in front of me following along..lol
Managed to get a trip into trimble lk yesterday..lots of guys there hunting off horses got 3 bull moose last couple days
Hiked the sikanni falls..
Now spending day with lil ones grayling fishing caught 12 so far catch n release, making kids rabbit lunch from this morning.
Looking to head to chetwynd for 4-5days tomorrow now try for any bull there if theres much left around there.
See what happens..
Ill set up an imgur? Account i think it was to post pics up once home.