PDA

View Full Version : what now?!

Julian2606
08-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Hey guys,i really need some help :( i wanted to go out to Mt.Woodside in kent with my GF tomorrow for snowshoe hare,we both just made our CORE and really want to go oit to just take a walk with our .22 's.I checked the regs and the maps,found the service road and checked all out,then i called the number on the fraser valley map just to be 100% sure that we are allowed to shoot there and bam....they changed the law a couple weeks ago,no more shooting on mount woodside -.- now i'm sitting here,all my stuff in the car,my girlfriend is excited like hell and i have to tell her the bad news when she is coming home in a few minutes...Does anyone know a spot,even just a service road we can go tomorrow morning to try to find some rabbits.I'm really desperate i have to say,we where looking forward to that trip the whole week and now i'm really unsecured we i am allowed to go and where not,not even with checking the regs i can be sure now cause they just change laws and dont update the stuff. I would be really happy to just read a name from a service road where we could go.
Thank you already so much guys
Best regards
Julian

longwalk
08-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Is the area closed for shooting or hunting?

Julian2606
08-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Both,only with a special permission you are allowed to shoot there :(

Fella
08-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Go up west Harrison or something or chehalis. Don't know if there's snowshoe up that way but there's probably eastern cottontail which are schedule c so you can shoot as many as you want. Make sure you bring lots of ice to cool any meat down and learn how to properly gut and skin a rabbit before shooting something so that you don't waste it.

Julian2606
08-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Thank you for that,can you recommend a special area for cottontails? I'm butcher,so gutting and skinning is done in seconds :)

lip_ripper00
08-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Any of the local FSR 's this week end will be nuts!! Watch for the ATVs doing Mach 1 around corners ect. Drive VERY carefully.

Fella
08-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Thank you for that,can you recommend a special area for cottontails? I'm butcher,so gutting and skinning is done in seconds :)
Rabbits come out first light and dusk. Although with this heat they'll probably be hunkered down pretty good. They seem to like hanging out on the side of the road where the grass is growing.

Boner
08-04-2017, 06:31 PM

You sound like a good guy to know!

walks with deer
08-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Cottontails you will find along the fraser in shotgun zones. Not up the mountain..

Not alot of hares on the north side of fraser valley..
Chilliwack seemed to have more.

Fella
08-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Cottontails you will find along the fraser in shotgun zones. Not up the mountain..

Not alot of hares on the north side of fraser valley..
Chilliwack seemed to have more.

Yes you will find them along the Fraser but I've seen and shot my fair share up the mountain sides in the Fraser valley

walks with deer
08-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Interesting i have seen hares but not cottontail..

Sumas mountain has tonnes of both but bow only

Hillerbillyvan
08-05-2017, 01:18 AM
Not sure what you read about mt woodside specifically but thought I would point out that the new laws regarding backroad shooting do not apply to lawful hunting

Julian2606
08-24-2017, 04:43 AM
I called them and the lady told me that also hunting is only allowed with federal permission up there :(

Drillbit
08-24-2017, 09:11 AM
^ can't you get permission then?

Livewire322
08-24-2017, 05:13 PM
I called them and the lady told me that also hunting is only allowed with federal permission up there :(

Smells like she didn't really know....

I can't see why the federal government would be regulating hunting for small game, which is provincially regulated last I checked.

Julian2606
08-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Actually i could not find anything online about that new law,the only thing i found was that the paraglider guys where complaining about the shooting.but a direct law against shooting or hunting.......i've seen nothing.i guess i call them again cause the spot itself looked pretty nice to me :D

Boner
08-24-2017, 08:52 PM

Sorry, who did you call?

I'd phone a CO and ask him or her. Tell them specifically that you went online to check the regs and you couldn't find any reason not to hunt there.

Julian2606
08-25-2017, 04:27 AM
Sorry, who did you call?

I'd phone a CO and ask him or her. Tell them specifically that you went online to check the regs and you couldn't find any reason not to hunt there.
On the fraser valley map it says for district of kent call this and that number......