PDA

View Full Version : Off-roading banned

Fisher-Dude
08-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Off-roading banned

Colin Dacre - Aug 4, 2017 / 11:07 am | Story: 203499

https://www.castanet.net/content/2017/8/832017-55746_17_bccampfire_orv_map_prohibition_info_20170 804_1201_p3240357.jpg
Photo: BC Gov
A maps of areas closed to off-road use

The provincial government is banning off-road vehicle use in the backcountry across most of Southeast B.C.

In response to extreme fire risk, recreational off-roading is banned in the Cariboo Fire Centre, Kamloops Fire Centre and Southeast Fire Centre. In addition, all on-highway vehicles must remain on defined road surfaces.

“The operation of any off-road vehicles in these regions during the current wildfire situation creates a potential wildfire risk,” a news release reads “While jeeps, trucks and other on-highway vehicles are permitted on designated roads, they are not allowed off-road.”

The ban does not apply to private lands or national parks, nor does it apply to emergency responders or commercial/ industrial users who operate vehicles for farming, emergency response or business purposes.

The BC Wildfire Services says they will be continually monitoring conditions and the prohibition may be expanded or rescinded as needed.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/203499/Off-roading-banned

tipper
08-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Finally! A little late though since a ton of people are already out camping with the toys!

rimfire
08-04-2017, 11:42 AM
I'm assuming this is for ATV's and UTV's only?

I assume that does not affect FSR's for trucks?

Can we still do some scouting in a pickup as long as we stay on the "defined road"?

J_T
08-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Can we still do some scouting in a pickup as long as we stay on the "defined road"?
As I understand it, ORV's (ATV's etc) are not allowed in the bush. At all. Vehicles (trucks cars) are still allowed on the roads.
To answer your last question. Yes, but you might not see much.

warnniklz
08-04-2017, 12:10 PM
You aren't even allowed to mountain bike or hike around WL

stan
08-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Frick just stay outta the bush for a couple weeks.

The Hermit
08-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Come on rain!!! Lets all dance!!

rimfire
08-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Frick just stay outta the bush for a couple weeks.

Come on Stan. We are heading to the FV and plan on doing some hiking and fishing but we have to go up a couple FSR's to get there. Chill out dude. Also, hunting season opens in less than a month in many parts of the province and for those of us who work, weekends are at a premium to do some looking around in non-fire burnt areas such as the FV or the Similkameen.

HarryToolips
08-04-2017, 12:34 PM
^^^exactly...I will be doing the same with a vehicle on forest service roads only...then hiking from there..

stan
08-04-2017, 02:18 PM
City dwellers I'm sure most of ya nothin to worry about when fires start most likely.bunch a internet cowboys .

stejacr
08-04-2017, 02:28 PM
“The operation of any off-road vehicles in these regions during the current wildfire situation creates a potential wildfire risk,” a news release reads “While jeeps, trucks and other on-highway vehicles are permitted on designated roads, they are not allowed off-road.”

I have a bunch of friends that got stopped and turned around when heading to to the Wipsaw trail today. It sound like even pickups are banned from FSR!

Linksman313
08-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the official info and post FD.

I guess it will be hiking off FSR's in the morning and sitting in the Granby all afternoon with the wee one this weekend, hoping to get off trail and camp but as most agree it's just to risky, read a story this morning of a woman whose empty cooler bottle caught her grass on fire in town!

Spread the word!
stay frosty
Links

139grainsofhell
08-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Even trucks are banned unless on a paved road

exv
08-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Hey guys. Does a FSR that goes threw crown land considered to be crown land itself?. Could you still ride a street legal bike with a spark arrestor on an FSR but just not in the bush (i.e single track or atv trails)?

DISCLAIMER: I will NOT be and have not been taking any of my ORV'S into the bush lately. The west kootenays is a tinder box ... bad!!

emerson
08-04-2017, 05:40 PM
My cousin is shut down logging in Houston. Rough on the budget. Hopefully this doesn't last a couple months.

tipper
08-04-2017, 05:46 PM
This is false information.

J_T
08-04-2017, 06:22 PM
My cousin is shut down logging in Houston. Rough on the budget. Hopefully this doesn't last a couple months.My son is north of Ft St James. Still working. Full crew. In the EK both my neighbours work in the bush and are still cutting and skidding.

J_T
08-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Even trucks are banned unless on a paved road Where the F is that coming from? No such ruling. But Trump is probably looking for a new communication fabricator.

S.W.A.T.
08-04-2017, 07:29 PM

I live on a dirt road, not allowed to leave?

139grainsofhell
08-04-2017, 07:54 PM
My son is north of Ft St James. Still working. Full crew. In the EK both my neighbours work in the bush and are still cutting and skidding.
CBC written by Rihanna schmunk ( jeeps trucks allowed on paved roadways but not the back country)this is what I read I'd post it if I could no need to be a douche JT

eric
08-04-2017, 08:20 PM
139, that explains it all....written by CBC

Cyrus
08-04-2017, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately this probably is a about 3 days too late. Imo a complete backcountry ban should be implemented in the bad areas. The tourists can come up here start a fire and drive home...then our homes burn...not sure why anyone would want to vacation in an active fire area

uraarchr
08-04-2017, 08:56 PM
FSR's are" designated" roads so it sounds like its ok with a regular hwy vehicle .

tipper
08-04-2017, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately this probably is a about 3 days too late. Imo a complete backcountry ban should be implemented in the bad areas. The tourists can come up here start a fire and drive home...then our homes burn...not sure why anyone would want to vacation in an active fire area

100% agree. Like I said earlier a lot of people were already on their way camping before Fridays ban came into affect.

08-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Found this...

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions/faq_orv_restrictions_aug_4.pdf

• Jeeps, trucks and other on-highway vehicles are permitted on designated roads under this prohibition, including forest service roads. However, they are not allowed to go offroad.

• Travelling cross-country off of a travelled road surface in a Jeep, truck or 4x4 is not permitted.

• Driving an ATV on a forest service road or designated trail is not permitted.

• People who are going camping at a recreation site — so long as it is not in the Cariboo Fire Centre — may travel on a forest service road.

j270wsm
08-04-2017, 10:06 PM
People have been posting on Facebook that campers are being " evicted " from their crown land camp sites all around koocanusa.

papaken
08-06-2017, 12:41 PM
139, that explains it all....written by CBC
Don't put much stock in what I hear from the Can't Be C​ertain misinformation station!

btridge
08-06-2017, 01:54 PM
People have been posting on Facebook that campers are being " evicted " from their crown land camp sites all around koocanusa.

People that like to camp on crown land that is NOT a recognised camp site, are breaking the off road travel ban as soon as they pull off the FSR, I would suspect that this is why they are being " evicted".

fireguy
08-12-2017, 08:59 AM
Here is the thing about this ban. There is a way around it. Hire a guide to take you out on your ATV. It's happening all over in the banned areas. It's a commercial business so ATV tours are still going.

A call all in to officials confirmed they are allowed.

Salty
08-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Ya that example stinks a little but in the big picture it makes sense to me. We need as few people as possible in the back country until this weather breaks. To get there limiting recreation is not a big deal to society but stopping commerce and people's livelihood is a big deal. So you strike a balance. I'm sure if we got to a firestorm apocalypse complete with zombies you'd shut commerce down too.

Avalanche123
08-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Good logical post Salty. Well said.

btridge
08-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Ya that example stinks a little but in the big picture it makes sense to me. We need as few people as possible in the back country until this weather breaks. To get there limiting recreation is not a big deal to society but stopping commerce and people's livelihood is a big deal. So you strike a balance. I'm sure if we got to a firestorm apocalypse complete with zombies you'd shut commerce down too.

We are not taking any bookings for high country eco tours as a result of the extreme fire rating. Sometimes it is not right to do something just because you are legally allowed too. Due Diligence for our company dictates that the risks far outweigh the benefits.

tuner
08-12-2017, 03:30 PM
We are not taking any bookings for high country eco tours as a result of the extreme fire rating. Sometimes it is not right to do something just because you are legally allowed too. Due Diligence for our company dictates that the risks far outweigh the benefits.
This is a very admirable stance, good on you.

Salty
08-12-2017, 04:39 PM
I like the way you think btridge good call. Similarly we had a boat camping trip planned for the better part of a year Arrow lakes way I'd be there now but we cancelled. Even though there's no fires in the area its just too crazy dry in the woods there. Anywhere in the south half of bc right now is not worth messing with IMO.

Whonnock Boy
08-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Risking millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of dollars in timber and private property so small business can make a few bucks is very short sighted in my mind. Adding in the fact that those who can afford to pay to play get access, while others do not, does not sit well with me. The likelihood of a client starting a forest fire is just as high as a regular, lowly resident.

Avalanche123
08-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Risking millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of dollars in timber and private property so small business can make a few bucks is very short sighted in my mind. Adding in the fact that those who can afford to pay to play get access, while others do not, does not sit well with me. The likelihood of a client starting a forest fire is just as high as a regular, lowly resident.

I respectully disagree. The level of accountability with a business is considerably higher. You have to appreciate that not all of us BC residents have the same of of respect/acccountabilty as a BC business....From a risk management perspective the "likelihood" is much different however the consequence is the same.

Business can choose to mitigate the risk in several ways. The best way is to not go. Others include not taking customers that smoke, packing extra water, fire extinguishers etc thereby reducing the likelihood. Gov't takes it a step further to reduce the risk by closing the backcountry to reduce the "oh ****" factor...
Sorry to say but all of us non-commercial users are lumped into the same category. It could be worse....Cheers
Cheers.

Whonnock Boy
08-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Your position is understandable, but even the most cautious people make mistakes, or simply, $hit just happens. Are they willing, or more importantly, able to pay for simple bad luck or circumstance? Very doubtful. It's simple not worth the risk in my opinion. Cheers...
I respectully disagree. The level of accountability with a business is considerably higher. You have to appreciate that not all of us BC residents have the same of of respect/acccountabilty as a BC business....From a risk management perspective the "likelihood" is much different however the consequence is the same.

Business can choose to mitigate the risk in several ways. The best way is to not go. Others include not taking customers that smoke, packing extra water, fire extinguishers etc thereby reducing the likelihood. Gov't takes it a step further to reduce the risk by closing the backcountry to reduce the "oh ****" factor...
Sorry to say but all of us non-commercial users are lumped into the same category. It could be worse....Cheers
Cheers.

J_T
08-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Anyone notice the number of person caused fires going down since the ORV restrictions?

ellenbill
08-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Do the guides take the horseshoes off the horses to prevent sparks from igniting a fire? I doubt it.

elch jager
08-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Was going to do some scouting in 3-42 this weekend... seems like I should leave the quad at home... and no marshmellows or weenies...