PDA

View Full Version : Moose rut up north

flyboy
08-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Just looking to hear from some guys on past experiences with the timing of the rut up around Dease Lake
Is the end of Sept beginning of Oct getting to late??

Tks

bigredchev
08-03-2017, 06:13 AM
It's never "on" when I've gone. Last week of September and first two of Oct. That's when it supposed to happen, although if you are fueling up in dease and see a lot of trucks heading south with large racks then it might be too late.

Best of luck, if you hit the nail on the head it would be something else

dmuth
08-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Three of the 8 trips that I have taken last week of Sept first week of Oct out side of Dease lake have had very vocal bulls that came to calls, raking of bushes or just movement!

two-feet
08-03-2017, 06:58 AM
Last week of Sept, first week of Oct will work. There is some activity outside of those dates but if you go then you should be able to make it work. Last 2 years i have got moose on the 28th of Sept, coming in to calls.

Ltbullken
08-03-2017, 08:51 AM
1st week of Oct should get you in the ball park.

Sitkaspruce
08-03-2017, 07:45 PM
I have called and shot more moose last week of Sept. Bulls are out looking for love and are pretty active. First week of Oct is much the same.

Cheers

SS

Takla
08-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Depends how far north,further north the rut starts earlier...Prophet river /muncho lake/Smith river our moose were down and dead by sept 18th like clockwork
Further south Ft st james/PG a bit later around the 28th of Sept on average

takla

browningboy
08-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Another for first week of October

Darksith
08-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Historically most moose in region 6 are bread right around Sept 28. I would say Oct is simply too late. Its all about the amount of light, and in Kamloops I would put the moose rut on Oct 1-7, in Burns Lake I would put the moose Rut Sept 25-Oct 3, in Dease just by geography I would say Sept 20-30. I have guide friends that think hunting the BC Yukon boarder, you should be there Sept 13-20 or there abouts. October might be more of a second rut...just my 2 cents.

srupp
08-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Hmm another vote for Oct 1..15th..
Most northern moose..Yukon border..Sept 28..ish
Yet still remember a Oct 15th bull
2 years ago Oct 1..Williams lake
Last year Atlin..Oct 4, Oct 7..all vocalization
All responded to cow call, no long shots
Steven
Stupp

300rum700
08-04-2017, 10:39 AM
We always shoot for the last 5 days of September and first 5 days of October when we went to Dease for Moose. Seems they're really moving looking for cows around that time.

Rupert Retired
08-04-2017, 11:47 AM
The best clue to this is the 400 meter moose road closures - Sep 25 - Oct 10. I would say, the CO service knows exactly when they are rutting, and this is why those roads are closed at that time. Yes, it varies year to year, but these dates I think are the long time average. Good luck!

elknut
08-04-2017, 02:23 PM
I always found that the bulls up northern BC come from the 17-18th till the 25th ...Then they are with cows and will not really want to leave a cow ...Just before the cows come into heat the boys are ready the girls not...Just my two bits ..Shot them in Smith river during the 17-25th ..Mostly the first day there...Then the long trip home ....Dennis

tomahawk
08-04-2017, 03:22 PM
As noted earlier the rut is triggered by the amount of light/dark in a day. Further north you go the earlier it gets but were not talking big changes. In the 1980's Ken Child, wildlife biologist, headed a govt experiment and found moose that were vocal in the PG area in late august till Nov. But these were young immature bulls and cows and there form and intensity of rut is weak. Mature breeding bulls start rutting later then the young bulls and peak in the PG area last week of sept and first of Oct. This doesn't mean you wont be able to call them outside these dates, its just the most intense during that 2 week period.

Personally Ive arrowed 2 bulls coming to the call on Sept 19th (both immature breeders of 2 and 3 yrs old). Called lots of youngsters in opening day on Sept 10th when I had no LEH. The biggest I called in and shot was Oct 11th, he was interested and responsive but he wouldn't cross an old cut to come to me so I could stick him so he fell to 180 grains at 220 yds. Last 6 bulls weve taken the last 5 yrs were all shot less then 40 yds except my grandsons 120 yd shot in the last week of sept.

moosinaround
08-04-2017, 03:31 PM
I've shot a few moose over the years, opening day right through to closing day! The prime rut is usually the last week of September through to the third week of October. The last 2 years, I have called in numerous moose, one shot Sept 27, one the 29th, and another shot Oct 1or 2? But I have had luck calling them from second week of Sept, right through to end of Oct. Most of the spike forks I have seen/killed have been either early or late. Of course this is all just my experience, so take it with a grain of salt, and ALWAYS apply the 10% bullshit factor to anything on HBC, we all know how hunter/fishermen embellish!! moosin