PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Hunting

buckeye14
08-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Thinking of buying a BOB Ibex bicycle trailer to head into the backcountry this fall. Anyone with experience/tips? Thanks in advance.

toad
08-02-2017, 06:07 AM
Build your own trailer

Wrayzer
08-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Great idea.

buckeye14
08-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Build your own trailer
Is that because of a quality issue with the BOB trailers?

Ron.C
08-02-2017, 08:44 AM
I just picked up a bike trailer at a garage sale for $20. It's one of the ones that is designed to pull a large dog. Should be no problem to modify it for hunting.

Before that I have hooked up my Sasquatch game cart to my bike. I pull the front portion off and replaced it with a single bar that attached to my bike. Worked well and can carry more weight than I am capable of pulling, but it is also way heavier unloaded.

Lots of options if you are creative.

Timberjack
08-02-2017, 08:38 PM
The single wheel bob trailers are strong enough, but with just the one wheel they become very unstable with the weight of a whole deer. Like speed wobble with out the speed. I suggest a dual wheeled setup similar to a chariot kid hauler.

TJ

Ohwildwon
08-02-2017, 09:43 PM
About to purchase a Wike flat bed bike trailer...

They are made in Canada out of aluminum, 14lbs!

The other trailers that I've found, although half the price, weigh twice as much on up to 40lbs!

I've designed a hunt where I will be biking in, climbing 1200ft over 9km...

Then ditch the bike/ trailer and climb 2200ft to the alpine..

Going to do a test run before hunting season, set up cameras..

Hoping to harvest an Elk, if not, a beauty buck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N24IJYZ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I23WFN085RPUDG&colid=2FIPE4I01RC56

buckeye14
08-03-2017, 01:02 AM
About to purchase a Wike flat bed bike trailer...

They are made in Canada out of aluminum, 14lbs!

The other trailers that I've found, although half the price, weigh twice as much on up to 40lbs!

I've designed a hunt where I will be biking in, climbing 1200ft over 9km...

Then ditch the bike/ trailer and climb 2200ft to the alpine..

Going to do a test run before hunting season, set up cameras..

Hoping to harvest an Elk, if not, a beauty buck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N24IJYZ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I23WFN085RPUDG&colid=2FIPE4I01RC56
Did you find a distributor that sells these in Canada? Or are you buying it out of the states directly? The link you posted from Amazon says they don't ship these to Canada.

Ohwildwon
08-03-2017, 07:30 AM
You can buy them factory direct, google the name...

Laurp99
08-03-2017, 07:46 AM
I recently purchased a fat tire eBike just for the purpose of getting out deep into the wilderness for my hunting and fishing pursuits.
The 1000W motor and battery is capable of 100km per charge and I have four batteries, top speed on motor alone is over 50km/hr.
I already have a rifle scabbard and a fat tire trailer is on order from Amazon, more pics to follow once everything is set up! :)

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album81/20170722_121313.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81cgcaRGjcL._SY355_.jpg

buckeye14
08-03-2017, 08:38 AM
That looks like a great setup!!!

I recently purchased a fat tire eBike just for the purpose of getting out deep into the wilderness for my hunting and fishing pursuits.
The 1000W motor and battery is capable of 100km per charge and I have four batteries, top speed on motor alone is over 50km/hr.
I already have a rifle scabbard and a fat tire trailer is on order from Amazon, more pics to follow once everything is set up! :)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81cgcaRGjcL._SY355_.jpg[/QUOTE]

albravo2
08-03-2017, 08:51 AM
That looks like a great setup. I've been wondering when I was going to hear about hunting on e-bikes. Iirc, they still qualify as bicycles because they are pedal-assist.

Does it have clicky hubs? That noise when descending without pedalling sounds cool on a mountain bike trail but would drive me nuts hunting.

buckhunter76
08-03-2017, 07:04 PM
I bought a kids tow behind trailer for a pedal bike for 50 bucks cause it had a ripped top it was a more expensive version so it had a good frame on it, I gutted it and put some sides on it and big mountain bike tires. It's light and barely noticeable while peddling. I also tow it behind my baja mini bike in a few areas we go where's it's boat access only to get to the logging roads, trailer has withstood many deer in it, the most was 2 black tails on the trailer and two guys doubling on a mini bike...... if someone saw us they would have died laughing haha. Just an idea though little bit of redneck engineering you can build a Cool light trailer for cheap

toad
08-03-2017, 08:07 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N24IJYZ/_encoding=UTF8?

coliid=I23WFN085RPUDG&colid=2FIPE4I01RC56

That trailer is like mine, but mine is made at home. Mine has taken out half a elk. And I'd put more on if I had to. That's the design I'd go with

buckeye14
08-04-2017, 12:49 AM
I THINK THIS IS THE PLAN I'LL GO WITH. THANKS FOR THE IDEAS!!

QUOTE=buckhunter76;1924253]I bought a kids tow behind trailer for a pedal bike for 50 bucks cause it had a ripped top it was a more expensive version so it had a good frame on it, I gutted it and put some sides on it and big mountain bike tires. It's light and barely noticeable while peddling. I also tow it behind my baja mini bike in a few areas we go where's it's boat access only to get to the logging roads, trailer has withstood many deer in it, the most was 2 black tails on the trailer and two guys doubling on a mini bike...... if someone saw us they would have died laughing haha. Just an idea though little bit of redneck engineering you can build a Cool light trailer for cheap[/QUOTE]

4blade
08-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Has a 1000w motor does this disqualify it for roads non motorized vehicle restriction

bornhunter
08-06-2017, 04:42 PM
I have a set up with a Wike trailer, it works well and it is made in Canada. It can haul up to 125 lbs.

steveo
08-06-2017, 04:50 PM
I have a set up with a Wike trailer, it works well and it is made in Canada. It can haul up to 125 lbs.
Where does the reach of the trailer attach to the bike, on the bolt of the back hub some how? I have been researching mountain bikes and trailers for the last couple of months and I will not buy a bike until I find a suitable hunting trailer for it, this is interesting.

Salty
08-06-2017, 08:14 PM
That's a cool looking Ebike there buck, I was tempted by a few fat tire bikes in the market and researching bikes last month, but ended up going with a conventional mountain bike. I ended up with a GT Aggressor Sport, found a last years model for a good deal. I was in to mtn biking for a spell back in the day but hadn't ridden in 20 yrs to speak of. Man, bikes have sure come a long way. I've just ripped around town and some bike trails nearby but really liking this thing so far, disk brakes are the bomb. Don't think I'll go with a trailer but did just pick up a rear rack so maybe saddle bags in the future for hunting.
http://media.gtbicycles.com/media/catalog/product/cache/13/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/1/g17_g28317m_27.5_m_aggressor_sport_blk.png

bornhunter
08-06-2017, 08:51 PM
I chose this one because it attaches to the rear wheel axle. You just easily install a bracket and attach and detach the trailer as needed with a pin. The mount is made of a durable rubber that can take a lot of abuse. I have used the trailer for two years now and its pretty rugged. It can be seen on my profile picture all loaded up.

bornhunter
08-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Where does the reach of the trailer attach to the bike, on the bolt of the back hub some how? I have been researching mountain bikes and trailers for the last couple of months and I will not buy a bike until I find a suitable hunting trailer for it, this is interesting.

I chose this one because it attaches to the rear wheel axle. You just easily install a bracket and attach and detach the trailer as needed with a pin. The mount is made of a durable rubber that can take a lot of abuse. I have used the trailer for two years now and its pretty rugged. It can be seen on my profile picture all loaded up.

Squamch
08-07-2017, 09:32 AM
What do you guys do on hardcore climbs? When I raced XC I loved grinding out a big climb, but some of the roads I walk up for access woukd have killed me back then, let alone now, early in the morning, in the rain, with a trailer!

bornhunter
08-07-2017, 11:16 AM
What do you guys do on hardcore climbs? When I raced XC I loved grinding out a big climb, but some of the roads I walk up for access woukd have killed me back then, let alone now, early in the morning, in the rain, with a trailer!

When I come to a big hill, especially a rocky one, there is no choice but to walk it and haul the bike and trailer along. The only plus side is riding on the way down takes a fraction of the time it would to hoof it down.

Ohwildwon
08-07-2017, 07:18 PM
When I come to a big hill, especially a rocky one, there is no choice but to walk it and haul the bike and trailer along. The only plus side is riding on the way down takes a fraction of the time it would to hoof it down.

Bingo!....

Especially if your lucky enough to be packing out 100lbs plus of meat, with your pack on your back...

grizzly550
08-07-2017, 08:03 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81cgcaRGjcL._SY355_.jpg
Thats sounds like a pretty sweet set up bud...let us know how she works out later this year.

slowjo
08-09-2017, 06:40 AM
Has a 1000w motor does this disqualify it for roads non motorized vehicle restriction

Motorized bicycles used in road closures must be pedal assist only. That is, the motor only comes on when you are pedaling. They must not even have an option to run the motor on it's own without pedaling. Make sure you do your research!

Laurp99
08-10-2017, 09:50 PM
That looks like a great setup. I've been wondering when I was going to hear about hunting on e-bikes. Iirc, they still qualify as bicycles because they are pedal-assist.

Does it have clicky hubs? That noise when descending without pedalling sounds cool on a mountain bike trail but would drive me nuts hunting.

No, it's Ninja silent. :-D
The only real noise is the noise generated by the 4" fat tires, sounds like a killer swarm of locusts on pavement but should be fairly quite on dirt roads.

My trailer should arrive tomorrow! I really need to test everything before hunting season. Damn forest fires, they just might close all the roads to the backcountry, in that case I'll just ride around Metrotown or Stanley Park, with my .308 in the Scabbard and a deer carcass on the trailer! :mrgreen:

toad
08-11-2017, 05:17 AM
http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/tobypryndik/media/elk%20on%20trailer_zpslgawzjcr.jpg.html]http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y428/tobypryndik/elk%20on%20trailer_zpslgawzjcr.jpg~original[/URL]

Ron.C
08-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Motorized bicycles used in road closures must be pedal assist only. That is, the motor only comes on when you are pedaling. They must not even have an option to run the motor on it's own without pedaling. Make sure you do your research!

slowjo, that makes sense. I've sent a question a week ago to the conservation officer service about the legality of e-bikes in vehicle closed areas for hunting. I received an email yesterday stating they are looking into my query and will get back to me with a response. I'll post the response when I get it.

Toad, love that picture!!!! That area looks very familiar

Squamch
08-11-2017, 06:55 AM
No, it's Ninja silent. :-D
The only real noise is the noise generated by the 4" fat tires, sounds like a killer swarm of locusts on pavement but should be fairly quite on dirt roads.

My trailer should arrive tomorrow! I really need to test everything before hunting season. Damn forest fires, they just might close all the roads to the backcountry, in that case I'll just ride around Metrotown or Stanley Park, with my .308 in the Scabbard and a deer carcass on the trailer! :mrgreen:

Why the fat tires? We ran 3" Gazzy's way back when and they made it AWFUL to pedal. Tirning wasnt so groovy either. I keep seeing these fat tire bikes around, aren't those tire and wheel set ups heavy as all hell? Why not run a typical 2.1 Or 2.3?

Not trying to hack you guys down, I'm just curious about something that doesn't make sense to me.

Laurp99
08-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Why the fat tires? We ran 3" Gazzy's way back when and they made it AWFUL to pedal. Tirning wasnt so groovy either. I keep seeing these fat tire bikes around, aren't those tire and wheel set ups heavy as all hell? Why not run a typical 2.1 Or 2.3?

Not trying to hack you guys down, I'm just curious about something that doesn't make sense to me.

Would you be able to ride on snow, sand and soft mud with those thinner tires? The answer is yes you can but with the wider tires, you have more traction and a firmer grip in the challenging areas. Like I mentioned previously this bike when fully loaded is over 70lbs, with the assistance of the 1000W motor those 4" fat tires and the weight are invisible to me. When the tide was out I rode the bike a over a km out in the soft sand by Comox, no normal pedal bike would have been able to do and go where I did, I floated over the soft stuff and I didn't have to deflate the tires for better traction, all this on a 70lb + bike. You can easily spend $5000 and more on normal pedal bike with the bells and whistles and no motor. I just turned 54yo and I have the normal aches and pains of an aging old fart, having that motor is the so called "Cats Ass"

I can probably go where Quads can't with this bike, but I like hiking with my rifle the most and this bike is going to get me there!

Ron.C
08-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Hi guys, I contacted the CO service and was forwarded to Regulations and Policy Analyst of the F&W branch. It appears that there is no legal definition yet and it is open to interpretation.

Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 6:38 AM
To: Conservation Officer Service ENV:EX
Subject: Definition of a Motor Vehicle (E-Bikes in Vehicle Closure Areas)

Good Morning,

Could you please provide me with some clarification on the definition of Motor Vehicle in the BC Hunting and Trapping Synopsis. More specifically, how battery powered E-bikes/scooter are interpreted under this definition.

Is a mountain bike that has a batter pack/electric motor "e-bike" fall under the definition of a motor vehicle? And can they be used inside Vehicle closed areas? These bikes can be propelled by human pedal power or propelled solely by an electric motor. The same question for battery powered scooters that can be propelled by pedals?

I frequently backpack or mountain bike into vehicle closure areas to access backcountry hunting and I'd like to find out the correct interpretation and not speculate.

Very much appreciated

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
Hello Ron,
Thank you for your email dated August 4, 2017, regarding the use of E-bikes within areas where the operation of motor vehicles are restricted. Your enquiry has been forwarded to me for response.

In the provincial Wildlife Act a Motor Vehicle is defined as:

"motor vehicle" means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which isdesigned to be self propelled, and includes an atv or snowmobile, but does not include
(a) a devicedesigned to be moved by human, animal or wind power,
(b) a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks, or
(c) a boat propelled by motorized power;

E-bikes are not specifically referenced in this definition, and to my knowledge there has been no precedence set through the courts on the subject, as such it is difficult to provide a clear answer to your question. This response is solely based on my interpretation of the regulation as it is currently written.

E-bikes are designed to be both self propelled and moved by human power; they meet the definition of a motor vehicle (designed to be self propelled), and are not included in the definition of motor vehicle (a device designed to be moved by human power). I don’t think the law makers of the day considered that devices would be designed in the future that both meet and are excluded from the definition. Further complicating the matter are the various designs of E-bikes/scooters and their relative reliance on either battery or human power.

There are variables that could be factors in determining whether these types of vehicles could be used within an area subject to motor vehicle restrictions/prohibitions. For example, if a bike is not capable of propelling itself without the use of human power (i.e. the battery is charged by the rotation of the pedals) it may not be considered “self propelled” and may not meet the definition of a motor vehicle. However, if a bike does not require human assistance to move it (i.e. the battery is charged at home and the pedals simply augment the movement of the bike) it could be considered “self propelled” and meet the definition of a motor vehicle.

I’ve used terms like “may” and “could” liberally, as described above there is no clear reference to these types of devices in theWildlife Act. However, I’ll take the liberty of more certainty when speaking to the objectives of these motor vehicle regulations. There are numerous types of motor vehicle restrictions/prohibitions in the province, but they can be put into two categories: year round/seasonal motor vehicle prohibitions and motor vehicle prohibitions for the purpose of hunting.

Generally (if not always) a full prohibition on the use of motor vehicles, either seasonally or year round, is in place to protect habitat. These can apply to specific lines (i.e. roads, trails) or polygons (i.e. watersheds, alpine areas). Whenever operating a vehicle/device in the province the operator should be These hybrid vehicles probably don’t compromise the objective of these regulations to any great extent, provided the device is operated in a manner that takes habitat values (soils, vegetation, etc.) into consideration.

The rational for Motor Vehicle for Hunting Closed Areas is generally social or to reduce harvest pressure in a specific area. In some areas access has increased in recent years which makes wildlife more vulnerable, motor vehicle for hunting closures are a tool in these situations to reduce hunter access into these areas that were previously inaccessible by a motor vehicle. They are also in place to provide a diversity of hunting experiences (i.e. a road where they can walk, bike, or horseback into without seeing a quad every couple of kms). These E-bikes may compromise the objective of these regulations.

It is my recommendation that an E-bike not be used in areas where motor vehicles are prohibited or restricted, however I am unable to state whether they are prohibited by law.

Regards,

Laurp99
08-29-2017, 08:11 AM
It is my recommendation that an E-bike not be used in areas where motor vehicles are prohibited or restricted, however I am unable to state whether they are prohibited by law.

That is exactly what the Fire Chief told me, if it has a motor then the same rules apply to you!

BTW my trailer arrived, I'll be getting the racks, rifle scabbard and the trailer outfitted on my bike next week!
Here's a pic of a 7 gallon water jug and my 10ft rod case on the trailer, lots of room for all my gear and 100+ lbs of meat!!

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/album81/20170812_111056.jpg

VFX_man
08-29-2017, 10:35 AM
Thinking of buying a BOB Ibex bicycle trailer to head into the backcountry this fall. Anyone with experience/tips? Thanks in advance.

Just need to keep an eye on the downhill if you are pulling a heavy load on the trailer. Unless there is a separate braking system, things could get nasty fast.