PDA

View Full Version : Is this a white tail or a mulie

Logan
07-31-2017, 10:49 PM
Hey everyone, just looking for a little input. I shot a whitey in a spot near Kamloops last year and decided to go put a game camera there this year, and I've got deer on it but I cant see their tails and I don't know if its a whitetail or a mule. If anyone could give me some insight based on this picture of its face that would be awesome! I wanna know i'm in white tail area before I put work into bringing in feed and building a blind. thanks a bunch!

Also I have a couple moose on the cam too but I cant get the pictures small enough to upload at the moment. Will upload them later if I can figure it out

mastercaster
07-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Mule deer,,,,ears are too large for a WT.

Buckmeister
07-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Don't be like my friend who trys to identify deer by looking at their rear end. He saw a bunch of muley does once, noticed the whitish rump and he called them whitetails. Whitetail does where in season at the time. Good thing he had forgotten his trigger lock key at home that day otherwise I would have had to turn him in for shooting a deer out of season.

So yes, the only info in the photo you post is the ears. Big "MULE" type ears on that deer. Suggestion, do you have a setting on your camera that takes photo bursts? Or X amount of photos every so many seconds? I like to set my cameras to take 2 or 3 photos every 5 to 10 seconds apart once the motion sensor is triggered. I get alot of pictures that way, too many actually. But I get at least one good photo of any deer that walks into the frame instead of just a crappy blurry one, on one of it looking the wrong way, or whatever happens that usually spoils a picture.

walks with deer
08-01-2017, 05:34 AM
Hmm if you harvest a whitetail there their will normally be more..that said deer in the picture is a mule deer.

mastercaster
08-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Don't be like my friend who trys to identify deer by looking at their rear end. He saw a bunch of muley does once, noticed the whitish rump and he called them whitetails. Whitetail does where in season at the time. Good thing he had forgotten his trigger lock key at home that day otherwise I would have had to turn him in for shooting a deer out of season.

The thing with WTs, you'd never know they had a white tail unless they flag. When it's calm and relaxed,what you see is brown and triangular in shape compared to the whispy tail of a mulie.

Fella
08-01-2017, 08:15 AM
I think of whitetails as having flat tails when they're at ease and mulies having a more "rounded" looking tail, almost like it resembles the hangy ball at the back of your throat in a way.

todbartell
08-01-2017, 10:17 AM
id say mulie

Logan
08-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Excellent, thanks for the info! Do you think there is any way to lure the whites to my camera?? Maybe corn or some of that mineral feed stuff they sell at wholesale?

VFX_man
08-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Also I have a couple moose on the cam too but I cant get the pictures small enough to upload at the moment. Will upload them later if I can figure it out

FYI -- After photobucket started charging - I switched to this site for photo hosting.

www.imgur.com

After you upload the photos, there is an option to "copy link" for BBCode [Bulletin Board].

Will preview at huntingBC in Advanced mode - - - If the image it too big, I just scale it to what I want and do a screen capture, then upload to imgur.com

WaterFowlin
08-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Ears for days. Mulie!

dd3boss
08-01-2017, 06:39 PM
Excellent, thanks for the info! Do you think there is any way to lure the whites to my camera?? Maybe corn or some of that mineral feed stuff they sell at wholesale?

Just common water softener salt works wonders for attracting deer. And moose. And elk. And bears. Put a gallon bucket's worth down.

HarryToolips
08-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Mule deer,,,,ears are too large for a WT.
Yup....and WT's you will see a white ring around their eyes, or raccoon eyes, and white on the throat, although in that pic it's hard to see the throat..

HarryToolips
08-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I think of whitetails as having flat tails when they're at ease and mulies having a more "rounded" looking tail, almost like it resembles the hangy ball at the back of your throat in a way.
Yes mulies rope like tail with black tip, WT's will still have that white perimeter around their bushy tail, then all white on the underside...

Logan
08-01-2017, 10:39 PM
I have read about using corn and sweet apples to get the whities around the cam.... does anyone have experience with this? Also still working on uploading the pictures of the moose, its a really good one

Salty
08-02-2017, 09:03 AM
mule- adult left juvenile right
https://windmill12.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/mule.jpg

white tail-adult left juvenile right
https://windmill12.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/whitetail.jpg

VFX_man
08-02-2017, 09:30 AM
With a quiz at the bottom.

https://windmill12.com/2012/07/18/the-difference-between-mule-and-whitetail-deer/

dereke
08-09-2017, 08:53 PM
I have found that anything with a ton of flavour and you'll end up with deer sometimes but the bears will show up and camp until it's gone. Water softening salt works wonders, loose blue cobalt is effective and trace mineral blocks have all worked at my cams. I'm fairly new to the game so others may have more insight but these have been my most effective at my sites so far. Come September the game changes again, it's a fun chess match and great way to stay out in the bush all year round as a hunter.

Dannybuoy
08-10-2017, 06:38 AM
With a quiz at the bottom.

https://windmill12.com/2012/07/18/the-difference-between-mule-and-whitetail-deer/
Pretty easy test .... I have seen some photo,s that make me have to think , none of those had any doubt.