PDA

View Full Version : quail in Abbotsford?

hoochie
07-30-2017, 06:57 PM
in the back yard....

http://imgur.com/K9ZJcwB

IslandWanderer
07-30-2017, 07:38 PM
Photobucket isn't working without the $400.

hoochie
07-30-2017, 08:59 PM
so only I can see my post.
lame. will repost later

walks with deer
07-30-2017, 09:09 PM
I can see it are those quail?

walks with deer
07-30-2017, 09:10 PM
Look more like a partridge??

Wild one
07-30-2017, 09:18 PM
Can't see the pic but any quail in Abbotsford most likely escaped on someone

IslandWanderer
07-30-2017, 09:19 PM
I can see it now. Those are juvenile pheasants.

kevan
07-30-2017, 09:34 PM
in the back yard....

What part of Abbotsford Hoochie ?
We have seen similar around Fishtrap Creek Park and lake...

HappyJack
07-30-2017, 09:41 PM
They have quail in Kelowna so why not in Abbotsford?

hoochie
07-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Im on the east side of abby between sumas exit and watcom exit.
never seen birds like this around here before.. wasnt sure what they are.
Its been a very strange year, we have a few bucks that come around, a few does, a piebald... wife said she saw a bear.
I guess things are getting pushed down from the mountain with all the construction.

I could hear a noise, and it sounded sort of like a squirrel. then i looked over and saw 6 or 8 of these guys walking through the yard. I had to grab the camera so I would have proof

1/2 slam
07-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Those appear to be Bobwhite Quail.

hoochie
07-30-2017, 10:53 PM

I think so too.

Blainer
07-31-2017, 04:52 AM
Nice capture, look like Quail to me.

Wild one
07-31-2017, 05:58 AM
in the back yard....

Those are bob white quail

Salty
07-31-2017, 08:53 AM
I know they're on the south island and I've seen them in Vernon but whether its normal for them in the fraser valley I do not know. Cool pic hoochie thanks for sharin

Big Lew
07-31-2017, 09:04 AM
There have been quail in the Fraser Valley off and on since I was a kid in the fifties.
Our neighbor raised them for gun clubs in the Fraser estuary, along with pheasants.
He was also the fellow that is in the books as introducing chucker partridge to the
Interior as part of a government program.

Ride Red
07-31-2017, 10:07 AM

Those are Bobwhite.

VFX_man
07-31-2017, 10:48 AM

That is my thought as well. Looks like there was an introduction into BC and in the states of WA, OR, ID

http://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/AlienSpeciesinBritishColumbiaHistoricalRecords.htm l#Birds

"Bob-white Quail (Colinus virginianus (L.))According to the Game Department records, Bob-white Quail were first introduced to British Columbia by the BC Forest and Stream Club in 1899 and planted at various points on the Lower Mainland. One hundred and fifty-six birds were released. One hundred and thirty were released near Ashcroft in 1900, thirty-two near Shuswap in 1905, and thirty-five at the Coldstream Ranch near Vernon in 1907. In 1922, additional birds were released on Vancouver Island. The species is said to have been present on South Pender Island in 1886, when the first settlers arrived, but there is no record of this early introduction.
Present status of Bob-white in British Columbia: Said to have done well for a period of years in the southern interior, but the latest authentic record for that area is listed as January 1912, by Munro and Cowan (1947). Several flocks survived near Huntingdon on the US boundary, but were exterminated in the severe winter of 1947-48. There are no recent reports from Vancouver or Pender Island. It appears that Bob-white introductions to the province were unsuccessful."

Click on the range map on this page.
http://tnwatchablewildlife.org/details.cfm?displayhabitat=&sort=aounumber&typename=tennessee&uid=09042710063558954&commonname=northern%20bobwhite

Wild one
07-31-2017, 11:10 AM
That is my thought as well. Looks like there was an introduction into BC and in the states of WA, OR, ID

http://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/AlienSpeciesinBritishColumbiaHistoricalRecords.htm l#Birds

"Bob-white Quail (Colinus virginianus (L.))According to the Game Department records, Bob-white Quail were first introduced to British Columbia by the BC Forest and Stream Club in 1899 and planted at various points on the Lower Mainland. One hundred and fifty-six birds were released. One hundred and thirty were released near Ashcroft in 1900, thirty-two near Shuswap in 1905, and thirty-five at the Coldstream Ranch near Vernon in 1907. In 1922, additional birds were released on Vancouver Island. The species is said to have been present on South Pender Island in 1886, when the first settlers arrived, but there is no record of this early introduction.
Present status of Bob-white in British Columbia: Said to have done well for a period of years in the southern interior, but the latest authentic record for that area is listed as January 1912, by Munro and Cowan (1947). Several flocks survived near Huntingdon on the US boundary, but were exterminated in the severe winter of 1947-48. There are no recent reports from Vancouver or Pender Island. It appears that Bob-white introductions to the province were unsuccessful."

Click on the range map on this page.
http://tnwatchablewildlife.org/details.cfm?displayhabitat=&sort=aounumber&typename=tennessee&uid=09042710063558954&commonname=northern%20bobwhite

very interesting lived in Abbotsford and inlaws were in the Huntington areas for many years. Never heard any past or present sightings of quail so assumed only possibility was escaped birds.

The above info makes me wonder if they have just gone unnoticed or unreported in small numbers

boxhitch
07-31-2017, 11:32 AM
escaped or released, should be Sched C

boblly1
07-31-2017, 11:56 AM
i can see those bob white quail just fine

j270wsm
07-31-2017, 03:34 PM
Seen what looked like california quail at my sisters house in grand forks this morning

Surrey Boy
07-31-2017, 04:02 PM
escaped or released, should be Sched C

I love Schedule C!

No closed season, no bag limit, no tags, no method restrictions, and it's not even legally "hunting".

Wild one
07-31-2017, 04:12 PM
Seen what looked like california quail at my sisters house in grand forks this morning

There is a well known population in grandforks

Squamch
07-31-2017, 05:22 PM
I know they're on the south island and I've seen them in Vernon but whether its normal for them in the fraser valley I do not know. Cool pic hoochie thanks for sharin

California quail on the island, not bobwhites

Salty
07-31-2017, 07:08 PM
There's bob whites too, according to VFX' post back there they were introduced on the island in 1922

DStewart
08-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Seen some quail in the UBC research forest so not surprised. Thanks for sharing!

rustybarrel
08-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Those are Bob's...I am the guy who also posted about Bob's being seen at SFU recently.
I got some lame responses to my post... telling me about what was planted 60 years ago...blah,blah.
I am 55 and have lived/fished hunted in BC for a long while.I have never heard of Bobs in the lower mainland unless in a pen.
If the Bobs at your place,and at SFU,or in Pitt Meadows are not coincidental escapees from a pen(60km apart), well this is now getting interesting.
Would love to hear from someone who may actually have an educated thought.... CO/s ?

ForestWalker10
08-02-2017, 04:43 PM
i thought i seen quail when i was walking around one day! I think it looks like Mearns's quail (cyrtonyx montezumae), aka harlequin quail, painted quail, montezuma quail.

hm...maybe not now.

badgreenbird
08-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Those are Bob's...I am the guy who also posted about Bob's being seen at SFU recently.
I got some lame responses to my post... telling me about what was planted 60 years ago...blah,blah.
I am 55 and have lived/fished hunted in BC for a long while.I have never heard of Bobs in the lower mainland unless in a pen.
If the Bobs at your place,and at SFU,or in Pitt Meadows are not coincidental escapees from a pen(60km apart), well this is now getting interesting.
Would love to hear from someone who may actually have an educated thought.... CO/s ?

check out this reference: http://www.birdatlas.bc.ca/accounts/speciesaccount.jsp?sp=NOBO&lang=en

the BC breeding bird atlas is an excellent source of information, compiled over 5 years by thousands of volunteers and reviewed by many experts.

Basically Northern Bobwhites aren't native to BC, but have been introduced repeatedly over the years.. recent efforts are ... 'independent'. Local introductions may hang on for a while if conditions are good, but they won't survive long or spread far.