PDA

View Full Version : haida gwaii

primmed99
07-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Has anyone ever used a meat packing/shipping service for fish and possibly game on haida qwaii.......Obvi there will be a place that does fish just seeing what you recommend

Bowzone_Mikey
07-30-2017, 06:20 PM
I have used Baru in QC city for Deer

as far as fish goes I only have fished from a lodge on HG so they did all the wrapping and freezing for me

Xenomorph
07-30-2017, 07:55 PM
There's a big place to process your fish and if you need deer cut as well it's possible. I know a few people, Barry Windecker being one of them.

IslandWanderer
07-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Could a person have the deer cut then transport it home using a freezer in the bed of the truck with either an inverter or generator? I'd love to go up there, but not sure how to get the meat home.

Surrey Boy
07-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Could a person have the deer cut then transport it home using a freezer in the bed of the truck with either an inverter or generator? I'd love to go up there, but not sure how to get the meat home.

It's illegal to remove evidence of sex until you bring it home or drop it off at a licenced butcher.

It would be pretty easy to set up a grinder and freezer at camp and go all Sweeney Todd on the deer.

IslandWanderer
07-30-2017, 08:13 PM
It's illegal to remove evidence of sex until you bring it home or drop it off at a licenced butcher.

yes, have the deer cut at a licenced butcher.

Surrey Boy
07-30-2017, 08:18 PM
yes, have the deer cut at a licenced butcher.

Then it's totally viable to put a couple of chest freezers and a generator in the box of your pickup. Just keep your paperwork handy.

IslandWanderer
07-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Then it's totally viable to put a couple of chest freezers and a generator in the box of your pickup. Just keep your paperwork handy.

Awesome, thanks. Long season up there, and it's much less expensive of a ferry trip off-season. 15 deer (retriever sized) limit, Lol.

S.W.A.T.
07-31-2017, 08:15 AM
Awesome, thanks. Long season up there, and it's much less expensive of a ferry trip off-season. 15 deer (retriever sized) limit, Lol.

Person can drive a long ways for what it costs to take that ferry.

trebreklaw
07-31-2017, 07:00 PM
15 deer is correct but possession is 5 at a time. Also in Nov BC ferries has a half price sale for vehicles.

IslandWanderer
07-31-2017, 07:05 PM
15 deer is correct but possession is 5 at a time. Also in Nov BC ferries has a half price sale for vehicles.

Good point, 5 x 12 lbs of meat per deer, Lol.

IslandWanderer
07-31-2017, 07:06 PM
Person can drive a long ways for what it costs to take that ferry.

For sure, but I think it would be a cool adventure.

brownmancheng
07-31-2017, 09:15 PM
Good point, 5 x 12 lbs of meat per deer, Lol.

5 in possession. once they are at your ordinary residence or dropped at a cutter/packer they are no longer in your possession. much like guys do when they go salmon fishing up there.

5x12 lbs is pretty close to accurate hahaha!

brownmancheng
07-31-2017, 09:18 PM
For sure, but I think it would be a cool adventure.

Great adventure, we drove up end of January. The drive was half the mission. Had a blast we ended up stranded on the island due to a storm but those last days ended up being the best!

IslandWanderer
07-31-2017, 09:18 PM
5 in possession. once they are at your ordinary residence or dropped at a cutter/packer they are no longer in your possession. much like guys do when they go salmon fishing up there.

Nice! I like that even better.

pro 111
08-06-2017, 10:12 PM
For sure, but I think it would be a cool adventure.All you off islanders are the same . lol. Killing all our bambies and too lazy to get out of the truck for a walk. See it all the time. We watch a family of deer grow up on the side of the road all spring then some fancy new ford raptor shows up and fills the cooler with fawns. Those of you who know how to hunt blacktails properly just disregard this message. The rest of you should just stay home . Its way cheaper.

Surrey Boy
08-06-2017, 10:56 PM
All you off islanders are the same . lol. Killing all our bambies and too lazy to get out of the truck for a walk. See it all the time. We watch a family of deer grow up on the side of the road all spring then some fancy new ford raptor shows up and fills the cooler with fawns. Those of you who know how to hunt blacktails properly just disregard this message. The rest of you should just stay home . Its way cheaper.

That's just a challenge to murder more bambis. I look forward to harvesting wildlife in your locality. Veal venison sounds great.

Darksith
08-06-2017, 11:03 PM

Are you sure about that?

IslandWanderer
08-06-2017, 11:09 PM
All you off islanders are the same . lol. Killing all our bambies and too lazy to get out of the truck for a walk. See it all the time. We watch a family of deer grow up on the side of the road all spring then some fancy new ford raptor shows up and fills the cooler with fawns. Those of you who know how to hunt blacktails properly just disregard this message. The rest of you should just stay home . Its way cheaper.

I look forward to hunting on the Haida Gwaii. How many fawns fit into an average sized cooler?

russm
08-06-2017, 11:26 PM

I'll balance out the cost of the ferry and just bring the commuter car, save myself some gas money and I can fit a couple coolers in the hatch for my 40 lbs of meat.

pro 111
08-06-2017, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=IslandWanderer;1925124]I look forward to hunting on the Haida Gwaii. How many fawns fit into an average sized cooler?
about ten i would guess . lol.. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

IslandWanderer
08-06-2017, 11:52 PM
[QUOTE=IslandWanderer;1925124]I look forward to hunting on the Haida Gwaii. How many fawns fit into an average sized cooler?
about ten i would guess . lol.. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Do they require butchering, or can they be folded neatly into a crockpot?

Wild one
08-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Some truth in this post ^^^

I hear all the time how QCI deer are so tiny by many who travel to hunt there. But I have also met some ex locals to QCI and who seem to have no issue shooting good size deer. They all say the same thing most don't put in the effort to look beyond the deer next to the road. World record Sitka black tail comes from QCI

Not saying guys need to stay home but might get more bang for your buck hunting harder

brownmancheng
08-07-2017, 09:26 AM

I am going to have to disagree. Us "off islanders" travelled a long ways and spent a lot of money in your community to hunt LEGALLY AND ETHICALLY.
It was hardly the barrel shoot it is hyped to be. We were there for 10 days and although we did come back with 5 deer between the two of us, I see many more deer in our local spots. Good luck road hunting them those deer were running for their life the second they heaed a vehicle. We had to grind it out to be successful. I will admit the first deer I Killed was small so I i didn't have point of reference. I felt really bad about it but I had only heard all the stories about how small they were. But it was LEGAL! I suppose anyone that hunts cow calf season are evil too.

What did we find? hundreds of carcasses along every fsr from animals that had been shot and left to rot. This is not the "off islanders" killing your bambi. Over half of you living up there are only there to pillage the forest. Not that I am against logging but most of the island is one huge clear cut . The LEGAL seasons are what they are to promote ALL bc residents to come and assist in a large scale cull of a non-native species that is detrimental to the primary industry of YOUR island.

These comments made from someone with sheep horns on your avatar. I am not against sheep hunting at all but did you get those on YOUR island? I am sure there is some one out there not happy yo see you come to their community.

Fact is wildlife belongs to BC residents and as long as everyone is hunting legally, why are they being flamed on a BC Hunting website? If you don't want to hear about my bambi stew perhaps don't read.

I will say most locals we met were awesome and did not come across any haters, they were happy for us to come.suppprt their businesses at a slow time of year. We had a great time and met a lot of interesting people hanging at the Yak pub!

pro 111
08-07-2017, 04:05 PM
I am going to have to disagree. Us "off islanders" travelled a long ways and spent a lot of money in your community to hunt LEGALLY AND ETHICALLY.
It was hardly the barrel shoot it is hyped to be. We were there for 10 days and although we did come back with 5 deer between the two of us, I see many more deer in our local spots. Good luck road hunting them those deer were running for their life the second they heaed a vehicle. We had to grind it out to be successful. I will admit the first deer I Killed was small so I i didn't have point of reference. I felt really bad about it but I had only heard all the stories about how small they were. But it was LEGAL! I suppose anyone that hunts cow calf season are evil too.

What did we find? hundreds of carcasses along every fsr from animals that had been shot and left to rot. This is not the "off islanders" killing your bambi. Over half of you living up there are only there to pillage the forest. Not that I am against logging but most of the island is one huge clear cut . The LEGAL seasons are what they are to promote ALL bc residents to come and assist in a large scale cull of a non-native species that is detrimental to the primary industry of YOUR island.

These comments made from someone with sheep horns on your avatar. I am not against sheep hunting at all but did you get those on YOUR island? I am sure there is some one out there not happy yo see you come to their community.

Fact is wildlife belongs to BC residents and as long as everyone is hunting legally, why are they being flamed on a BC Hunting website? If you don't want to hear about my bambi stew perhaps don't read.

I will say most locals we met were awesome and did not come across any haters, they were happy for us to come.suppprt their businesses at a slow time of year. We had a great time and met a lot of interesting people hanging at the Yak pub! Ya Ya! Just dont kill the fawns and things will be OK. LOL. You say theres more in your area , yet you support killing bambies because there introduced here. So technically we should all be able to head up to your neck of the woods and shoot five of your fawns??? If your saying your deer population is healthier than ours? Just because the regs say so doesnt really make it right all of the time.. I have noticed a huge decline in moose numbers in certain spots in the interior in the last few years with no change to the seasons in these areas. I am not a moose expert though so I could easily be wrong.

pro 111
08-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Also I had to get out of my truck to get those Sheep Horns lol. Lets not forget about that now. And there were many comunities I had to travel through and back again. Again just leave the bambies alone and life is good. LOL..Youl figure it out , u just need a pair of Meindl boots .
Ya Ya! Just dont kill the fawns and things will be OK. LOL. You say theres more in your area , yet you support killing bambies because there introduced here. So technically we should all be able to head up to your neck of the woods and shoot five of your fawns??? If your saying your deer population is healthier than ours? Just because the regs say so doesnt really make it right all of the time.. I have noticed a huge decline in moose numbers in certain spots in the interior in the last few years with no change to the seasons in these areas. I am not a moose expert though so I could easily be wrong.