PDA

View Full Version : Gutless Method- evidence of sex and species

264mag
07-30-2017, 02:57 PM
I have been using it for the past few years and love it. Have mastered the trap door tenderloin trick by cutting through the back 3 ribs and flipping the spine back and cutting them out. (YouTube).

i always debone my meat at the kill site and game bag then contractor garbage bag the meat before packing.

i keep a testicle attached but have only ever kept one piece of hide attached to a quarter.

Reading the regs again my interpretation is that each individual piece of meat must have hide attached.

I am am curious as to other opinions of this regulation.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

plumberjustin
07-30-2017, 03:20 PM
4Anyone who possesses or transports thecarcass or part of the carcass of the follow-ing animals must leave naturally attached tothe carcass or one part of the carcass in theperson’s possession the following listed parts:

I've used the gutless method quite a bit and I only leave evidence on one piece. The rest get skinned out and game bagged.

dakoda62
07-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Be cautious in the use of plastic, it will trap heat and moisture.

264mag
07-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Thanks, I just use the plastic for transporting it in my pack, keeps the blood stains off the pack.

trebreklaw
07-30-2017, 06:58 PM
My processer would not accept mine without evidence of sex and hide on each piece. Contacted CO and he saw the 4 quarters and gave OK.
In discussion he said the front and hind should be left attached to each other WTF
Getting crazy, I have had meat processed for 50 years no problem with piece of hide on each until last fall.

IslandWanderer
07-30-2017, 07:29 PM
My processer would not accept mine without evidence of sex and hide on each piece. Contacted CO and he saw the 4 quarters and gave OK.
In discussion he said the front and hind should be left attached to each other WTF
Getting crazy, I have had meat processed for 50 years no problem with piece of hide on each until last fall.

Lol, front and back attached? I'd like to see him pack out a moose that way. Maybe look into other meat cutters.

....attached...dafuq?

Edit: does he think one of the quarters is from a legal harvest and the other three are from a different animal? Lol, if so, where'd the other legal quarters go? Won't the meat soon be in many pieces after its cut?

hurley16
07-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Had similar experience - For deer I use gutless and leave hair on testicles and have antlers of course and never had issue with CO's until Last Fall CO's came into camp and said I was non compliant because I didn't have un-skinned tail attached. Gave me free pass because it was a new reg.

Pleaded ignorance and later after reading reg on page 20 i still think I met reg unless cutting off antlers doesn't constitute as "portion of the head " that bears antlers???

furthermore leaving tail attached using gutless is not easy. Lots inconsistency around this topic.

whitlers
07-30-2017, 09:29 PM
Leave the un skinned tail and evidence of sex on one quarter and your good.

Antlers removed from the carcass does not constitute evidence of sex.

mastercaster
07-30-2017, 11:00 PM
I leave a one inch patch of hair on each quarter, evidence of sex on one of the hind quarters, and the tail tied up in a plastic bag on one of the quarters (don't want the hair getting on the meat, hence the plastic bag). But I butcher the animal myself. That being said, I guess you never know when you could get checked so it's worth the little extra time to do these things to make sure everything is above board.

walks with deer
08-09-2017, 10:49 PM
I was insoected by the region 7 bioligist..animal was deboned but one peice had balls,tail,and a chunk of fur. She was beyoind satisfied..she stopped me ti check out the sweet rack.

mastercaster
08-09-2017, 11:04 PM
I was insoected by the region 7 bioligist..animal was deboned but one peice had balls,tail,and a chunk of fur. She was beyoind satisfied..she stopped me to check out the sweet rack.

Sweet rack, eh? This thread could go south in a hurry with that comment! LOL

ActionJackson017
08-10-2017, 07:18 AM
FWIW, I agree with hurley16 that section 2(a)(i) gives a one "or" the other definition and by leaving antlers attached to your male deer, you should have met the condition. It's section 2(b) that is different with the "and" definition.

Bugle M In
08-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Even if I debone to pack out, I leave a 1 inch piece of hide on each quarter.
Back straps/tenderloin etc you can't obviously.
Evidence of sex on one quarter AND, now the tail.
I also try to wrap up just the hide area in some extra cloth to avoid hair on meat.
Remember, the cleaner the meat, the better it is for you, and butchers are more willing to accept to hang and process.
You would be surprised how "dirty" some meat comes in to butchers, who then refuse to touch it....