PDA

View Full Version : 6-20 Zone A Spatsizi Caribou LEH

sharpshoot
07-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Hello All

I was drawn this year for a Bull Caribou hunt in the Spatsizi (as the title suggests 6-20 Zone A) and I haven't the faintest clue how to go about it. Caribou is not something I have hunted before and so I would love to hear some wisdom from some of you on hunting this particular beastie, and possibly (from those familiar with the area) where to look for them. I have a pretty small window of actual hunt time (three days) so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Caribou_lou
07-29-2017, 11:27 AM
You'll want to look into the condition of the rail grade. Ive heard rumours of it being washed out. Possibly not passible by Quad. If that's the case. Fly in is the only other option.

northof49
07-29-2017, 01:38 PM
3 days is not enuf for travel both ways, access and hunting....better off to do something else

Blainer
07-29-2017, 01:43 PM
Save your money, time and effort if you only have 3 days. Day in, Day out. It's tough hunt that requires time and $1000's in gear, prep and planning and likely a flight.

Salmon Belly
07-29-2017, 07:59 PM
No offence but these questions should be asked before you put in for LEH. I've hunted in there and three days is not enough.

SB

sharpshoot
07-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Sorry I should specify, when i said three days to hunt that means after the two days to get in

Magnumb
07-31-2017, 07:05 PM
I've had the same draw... fly in. You may want to check out the threads on here about fly in hunts, gear, and tips/hints. 3 days is still a short window.

boxhitch
07-31-2017, 08:00 PM
3 days in is better than days of regret. Its about the experience

Salmon Belly
07-31-2017, 08:18 PM
It's not a hard draw to get, compared to lots of others. Put in again, plan the trip, and go for a longer time. Rushing hunts with too few days leads to lots of tag soup.

I get what Boxhitch is saying about the experience but it's such an incredible area three hunting days is selling yourself far short.

SB

Ajsawden
07-31-2017, 08:22 PM
Gonna be tag soup if he doesn't go at all. Lots of animals shot on first day, and he has three!

Salmon Belly
07-31-2017, 08:57 PM
Sure, I'm not saying don't go, just go with a better plan -- just my opinion. Cost of gas to drive up, fly in, gonna be same if you go for 3 days or 8 days. Like I said, it's incredible country - having been there, there is no way I'd go for a 3-day hunt. It's big, wide open country. Give yourself the time to explore and hunt it with no regrets of leaving early having seen the animals you're looking for one ridge too far for your time.

SB

northof49
07-31-2017, 10:31 PM
3 days is waste of time unless you got money to burn for sight seeing

digger dogger
07-31-2017, 11:59 PM
3 days is waste of time unless you got money to burn for sight seeing
^^^^this here^^^^
Get the draw again, and spend at least a week in the park.
Ive spent probably, 40-50 nights in the Spatsizi, sometimes 10 days wasn't enough time.
Weather can be a serious bitch up there.

boxhitch
08-01-2017, 07:55 AM
My biggest 'bou ever was a last ditch single day attempt in a spot I had never been. Almost stayed in the cabin due to morning fog, but got up high, skies cleared, spotted by noon, back for breakfast the next morning.
Sometimes the gift is just waiting........

but then again, it would have been easier not to go

boxhitch
08-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Sure, I'm not saying don't go, just go with a better plan -- just my opinion from seeing that movie more than once. Cost of gas to drive up, fly in, gonna be same if you go for 3 days or 8 days. Like I said, it's incredible country - having been there, there is no way I'd go for a 3-day hunt. It's big, wide open country. Give yourself the time to explore and hunt it with no regrets of leaving early having seen the animals you're looking for one ridge too far for your time.SBThat can happen on the last day no matter how long has past.

Anyone else ever been successful on a short hunt?

Rotorwash
08-01-2017, 08:21 AM
What can a person expect for weather in the park late august?

Stew
08-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Rain
hail
snow
sun
and really hot with a ton of skeeters
all in the same day.
Every day is different in mu 6

walks with deer
08-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Took me half a day to pack a bpu out after shooting the afternoon before...

Rotorwash
08-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Any tips on gear or items that make life there easier?

wiggy
08-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Any tips on gear or items that make life there easier?
Was watching the thread. I agree that anything is possible 1 day or 20 1 thing for sure is you have to be there or its notta for sure
as for the last post; are you kidding? If you don't have that figured out or at least the gear you know you will need i question if you know what your doing?

Salmon Belly
08-01-2017, 08:47 PM
The point is not that it's possible to shoot an animal in one day -- I shot a moose in Spatsizi 3 hours into first day after flying in night before. And even with that experience I'd never go in there for a three day hunt. Anyone who has been in there would be hard pressed to say otherwise.

Hey if you want to go all that way and put the effort in for a three day hunt, knock your socks off. Spatsizi isn't a weekend destination to be experienced fully. It's just my opinion, but if you're considering putting in for LEH there do a bunch of homework in advance and carve out a good chunk of time.

I hope whatever OP chooses, he posts up. I notice he hasn't chimed in since first post.

SB

BearSupreme
02-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Hey Sharpshoot, did you end up getting out there?

Rhyno
02-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Hey Sharpshoot, did you end up getting out there?

Hasnt signed in since a week after the OP.

warnniklz
02-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Still holding out for that big bull maybe?