PDA

View Full Version : Any bow hunters/archers looking to pass on some knowledge?

KBC
07-29-2017, 09:48 AM
Hey,
I'd like to get into archery but I haven't shot a bow in over 20 years since I was in Scouts. My level of knowledge is that I know what they look like.

Anyone in the Mission area looking for a student that you might let shoot your compound bow a time or two to see if I like it? Maybe give me a few pointers on technique, what kind of money I need to spend to get set up reasonably well etc?

I'm a member of Mission Rod and gun, so we could shoot there or?

greybark
07-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Hey KBC , Ridgedale 3-D Aug 11 , 12 and 13th . Lots to look at and advice .
Cheers

KBC
08-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks I will keep it in mind. Anyone else out there?

SWD
08-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Go see Wayne at Big Game Archery.

He could measure your draw length and set you up with your own bow.

Get him to go over your anchor and release.

I am the last finger shooter with a compound.

I go to some shoots and hunt with a bow.

I could try to give you some help.

Sheldon

KBC
09-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Well I spent a bunch of money at big game archery. Wayne said my bow should be ready on Tuesday. Hopefully I don't suck too bad hahaha.

Wild one
09-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Focus on your form consistency is the key to be accurate with a bow. Don't worry about pushing how far you can shoot and work on tight 20yard groups for starters. Pick a small spot and don't hold at full draw too long.

Biggest one I see with new archers is looking for their arrow on release. Teach your self to hold your form till you hear the thunk of your arrow hitting the target. I tell everyone I have taught you are a statue once you release till that arrow makes contact

J_T
09-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Thanks I will keep it in mind. Anyone else out there? Dont take this the wrong way. But, Greybark offered to help you out. And you ask if there is anyone else out there. Yes, there are lots of others out there. But you'd be fortunate to have Grey take you under his wing. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge. He'll help you achieve your goals whatever they might be. And he'll make you feel comfortable in the community of archers out there. What you do with his gracious offer is up to you. Whether its be a better archer, become a hunter, or become a better person.

Spy
09-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Dont take this the wrong way. But, Greybark offered to help you out. And you ask if there is anyone else out there. Yes, there are lots of others out there. But you'd be fortunate to have Grey take you under his wing. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge. He'll help you achieve your goals whatever they might be. And he'll make you feel comfortable in the community of archers out there. What you do with his gracious offer is up to you. Whether its be a better archer, become a hunter, or become a better person.
I will second what JT said welcome to the dark side lol :-)

KBC
09-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Dont take this the wrong way. But, Greybark offered to help you out. And you ask if there is anyone else out there. Yes, there are lots of others out there. But you'd be fortunate to have Grey take you under his wing. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge. He'll help you achieve your goals whatever they might be. And he'll make you feel comfortable in the community of archers out there. What you do with his gracious offer is up to you. Whether its be a better archer, become a hunter, or become a better person.
Sorry if I offended anyone but I guess I took that first offer the wrong way. I didn't realize he was offering to help me out, just that he thought I should show up and start bugging people. To be honest the idea of that is a little intimidating being a total noob without a clue.
Once again I apologize if anyone was offended.

J_T
09-24-2017, 05:03 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone but I guess I took that first offer the wrong way. I didn't realize he was offering to help me out, just that he thought I should show up and start bugging people. To be honest the idea of that is a little intimidating being a total noob without a clue.
Once again I apologize if anyone was offended. Thanks for the respectful reply. I can understand how you might have mis understood Greybarks offer. Those of us who know him know he doesnt just say, "show up". As I suggested, he will make you comfortable and feel welcome. I was just trying to guess how many people he has helped out. Cant come up with a number there have been so many. Ken is a good man.

OutsyderBC
09-24-2017, 06:46 PM
join a club, attend a few shoots, put yourself out there and you'll make a few friends who'll get you on the right track. Archery and archers are good like that.

Uncle Ken is always good for it, a fine contributor to what we do (as is JT) the learning curve is less steep with experience along with you and making friends in this game is easy and you definitely get what you give.

Riverbc
09-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Sagitarrius Archers allow drop-ins for $5 every Wednesday night. 7-9 at the Abbotsford Fish and Game Club. Come on by and we'll set you straight. :)

KBC
09-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Thanks I will try and make it out. Wednesdays are tough unfortunately because of work schedules and babysitting availability but I do get the odd one free.

KBC
10-16-2017, 08:53 PM
I've been out to the range a couple times in the past week now. I seem to be able to put most of my arrows in about a 6" circle at 60 yards but there's always one out of 6 that I'm off a bit from getting antsy. A couple of my arrows seem to fly slightly crooked but I think that's normal that some will fly better than others? I managed to put one through the fletching on another so I'm down to 5 arrows. I guess I need to pick up some more.

My bow is set around 55 lbs. I don't find it too difficult to pull back. When should I be increasing the weight? Do I keep shooting as is or should I be slowly increasing as I go? I'm tempted to go up to the 70 lb max just to see what it feels like but I can see the advantage of sticking with a lower weight for now so I can shoot longer without getting tired. I am a guy though so bigger is better ha.