PDA

View Full Version : August moose hunt?

HappyJack
07-28-2017, 09:17 PM
We are heading up to 7-21 for an august moose hunt, does anyone else on here hunt the early any bull moose hunts? Our pull out day is August 12th and that gives us a couple days to set up a nice camp, get in some firewood [if the bans are off] and have a good look around before the opening on the 15th.

HappyJack
07-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Only keyboard hunters??

monasheemountainman
07-30-2017, 11:41 AM
guarantee fire bans wont be off. I would not waste my time with an aug moose hunt but thats just me...i prefer cold nights and no bugs

HappyJack
07-30-2017, 11:53 AM
guarantee fire bans wont be off. I would not waste my time with an aug moose hunt but thats just me...i prefer cold nights and no bugs

So do we but the odds of getting a bull moose are way up there if you aren't forced to count points. One thing most hunters don't realize is that the meat from an august bull is prime and seems to have a higher moisture content, which makes for very nice meat. We go up to 7-21 but I think there might even be some openings closer to PG these days?

IslandWanderer
07-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Only keyboard hunters??

Lol, I wish I could but I live in Victoria. No moose. No early season.

climber250
07-30-2017, 12:20 PM
We are heading up to 7-21 for an august moose hunt, does anyone else on here hunt the early any bull moose hunts? Our pull out day is August 12th and that gives us a couple days to set up a nice camp, get in some firewood [if the bans are off] and have a good look around before the opening on the 15th.

Did that 6 years ago. Shot a moose on 15th at 9am, butchering was a disaster, mosquitos and flies were a nightmare, was very hot day. Had to place all the meat to plastic bins and into the creek in the shade. We waited till sundown, than hauled it back to Van for meat not to spoil. Wont be doing that again!

moosinaround
07-30-2017, 12:34 PM
I may drive up for a couple days! It will have to be a gimme moose though, I don't like packing meat in the heat! Skin them and get em to a cooler, and hopefully your no allergic to wasp stings!! See ya up there, moosin

northof49
07-30-2017, 12:49 PM
guarantee fire bans wont be off.

unlikely to be a fire ban in the Peace at that time.

todbartell
07-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Haven't hunted moose in August but dealt with plenty of bull elk in early Sept temps reaching 25c. Get them gutted and skinned ASAP, it's crucial to let the body heat escape as quickly as possible. Gutless method is best, cut down to the big leg bone / hip joint to let the heat out. Hang them in the shade as you pull them off. A portable cooler setup is a must have, or at least access to a cooler/meat locker within 24 hours.

bcsteve
07-30-2017, 01:06 PM
One thing most hunters don't realize is that the meat from an august bull is prime and seems to have a higher moisture content, which makes for very nice meat.

If you can make it home without the meat spoiling.

northof49
07-30-2017, 01:07 PM
Water will be your friend. Make sure you have everything you need to get it to a cooler quickly. Check which meat coolers are available and hours for drop off. Dont dump one and then start trying to figure out what you need, or how to get it out. Have and know the plan before you pull the trigger. ATV vs packboards, powersaw, rope, flashlights, etc, etc. Bust it open and get it cut up fast to cool down and get the game sacks on quickly to help keep the flies off. Do not drop one in eve and leave whole over night or you will likely end up with bone sour. If in eve watch out for griz while working in the dark. Be sure to wipe down well with water/vinegar after hanging in cooler to get rid of the blowfly eggs. Good luck.... will be fun.

Ferenc
07-30-2017, 01:15 PM
One of my buddies hunts moose always in August, his type of hunting is out of a tree stands overseeing licks.. he has been very successful..as mentioned call around for the meatcutters in the area... the coolers do fill up fast as most locals already know and have a moose already picked out... good luck with the hunt.

Trapper
07-30-2017, 01:26 PM
when i use to hunt moose in the early season we always took a gen. and freezer works great. don't rely on the coolers they fill up fast

BRrooster
07-30-2017, 01:28 PM
We got one on Aug 15 a couple of years ago. Evening hunt. 7-22. Skinned and cut what we could till Midnight . I sat up with a lantern and shotgun till sunrise and son number one took him into Mackenzie and had him in a locker asap. Didn't loose any meat. Some good eats that guy was. He was a young 2x3 . Had a generater and
16 cu ft deep freeze another time , that worked well. Stopped in Quesnel an loaded up several more bags of ice to pack around the quarters. Made it back to Kelowna
late the next day with out losing anything. Kept the meat dry but cold. Friend of mine did a fly in from FSJ and had had his deep freeze plugged in at the airport.

Remember to leave your 10 square cm's of hide on every quarter.

Blainer
07-30-2017, 02:38 PM
I have shot a few in August, you must have your ducks in a row. Get hide off asap, if you can get to a cooler the first day, Great, if not you will weather the night in the shade with hide off, but must be in cooler early day 2.

Sitkaspruce
07-30-2017, 07:43 PM
unlikely to be a fire ban in the Peace at that time.

Already is one and with temps to 30 deg by net weekend, they could still be on.

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/DisplayBan.asp?ID=502#CampfireBans

Cheers

SS

HappyJack
07-30-2017, 09:52 PM
Did that 6 years ago. Shot a moose on 15th at 9am, butchering was a disaster, mosquitos and flies were a nightmare, was very hot day. Had to place all the meat to plastic bins and into the creek in the shade. We waited till sundown, than hauled it back to Van for meat not to spoil. Wont be doing that again!

If you can make it home without the meat spoiling.

We used to do all the things guys suggest, now we just field dress them take off the feet and heads and whistle them straight to the meat cutters in Pouce Coupe. We used to take them to Russells in Chetwynd but I believe they aren't open anymore. It's quite a bit faster to do that than it is to skin and quarter and fight with bugs and worry about bears and spoilage. A lot of times we manage to take them in whole,and they only charge like $75 to skin them for you. And on the trip home all the meat is wrapped and frozen, so we can travel fast on a cool night or bring a freezer and have lots of ice blocks in the bottom.

Wild one
07-31-2017, 06:27 AM
Sounds like you know what your in for from past hunts so giver hell and good luck

Maybe doing the same

blackhawk19
07-31-2017, 07:16 AM
good luck.tough time to go

Ubertuber
07-31-2017, 12:05 PM
We've bagged many moose in Aug, never had an issue with dealing with the meat. I'm not sure why some think it is difficult.
Gutless, into game bags, hang for evening, and then off to the cooler. If you can't figure out how to deal with a moose in warm weather, you probably shouldn't bother trying as it's very difficult. :)

HappyJack
07-31-2017, 12:50 PM
We've bagged many moose in Aug, never had an issue with dealing with the meat. I'm not sure why some think it is difficult.
Gutless, into game bags, hang for evening, and then off to the cooler. If you can't figure out how to deal with a moose in warm weather, you probably shouldn't bother trying as it's very difficult. :)

Lol-- that's right don't encourage too many others to compete for our fuzzy horned bulls!! The largest I took had a 53 inch spread and was 986 lbs on the butchers scale, skinned and quartered

pnbrock
07-31-2017, 12:54 PM
i don't need meat bad enough to deal with bugs and trying to find cooler space in 30 deg weather ...good luck though

Boner
07-31-2017, 01:19 PM
I've done the Aug 15 any bull season a few times. In my experience it's a hard hunt in the heat. My luck was first thing in the morning after a night of rain, after a heat spell. I might do it this year, depending on the weather.