PDA

View Full Version : Elk on the kootenay river

stixnstones
07-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Just curious about taking my little jet boat up the kootenay river somewhere for opening day for archery elk. Was wondering if this would be a good idea? Anyone done it with success? Thx

Whonnock Boy
07-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Just go do it, but be sure to check the Greyhound schedule before leaving.

71_camaro
07-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Lol what a message.guessing its ugly

Bugle M In
07-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Just go do it, but be sure to check the Greyhound schedule before leaving.

:tongue:............^^^

stixnstones
07-28-2017, 05:28 PM
That's enough outta you whonnock boy.

moosinaround
07-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Worst that will happen is you will burn some gas, best that could happen is you arrow an elk! Go for it, that's why you have a boat! If I lived down there I'd put fuel in for a trip up river! Go for it!! Post pics please! Moosin

rocksteady
07-28-2017, 06:19 PM
No elk near the Kootenay.. All up in the high country:roll:

Whonnock Boy
07-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Lol.... I seem to recall a comment from you. "Out came the calf at 300 yards."
No elk near the Kootenay.. All up in the high country:roll:

rocksteady
07-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Lol.... I seem to recall a comment from you. "Out came the calf at 300 yards."

That wasn't the Kootenay, that was some other river.... Fraser???? Yeah, that's it.. It was the Fraser...

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-28-2017, 07:48 PM
That wasn't the Kootenay, that was some other river.... Fraser???? Yeah, that's it.. It was the Fraser...

:confused: Must've been, nothing to see here folks! Move along, move along.... :wink:

Have a great trip stixnstones, lots'oluck!

stixnstones
07-28-2017, 11:34 PM
Thx moosinaround. I will. Was hoping for some better info. I m not looking for everyone's honey hole.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-28-2017, 11:57 PM
No one can tell you how it'll go for you! You've got to get out and do it.

I do not have a boat and have yet to try any jetboating, but how can you go wrong with time spent in the beautiful country here in the EK?! It's an excellent idea for a trip for you. As for me, I am liable to be out Wingshooting for Ruffed Grouse while you are on your Elk Hunt.

Great time guaranteed if you play safe and know what you're doing. Not too many folks have those boats I suppose.

J_T
07-29-2017, 06:19 AM
Is it a silent boat? Elk dont really hang around and wait like moose. They hear or see you, they're gone. Might be a nice day on the water and there is nothing wrong with that. But you want to manage expectation.

123.brewski
07-29-2017, 07:52 AM
I've heard jet boats out there. Sounds fun, braap, braap, braap....bugle,bugle....braaaap braap, bugle, bugle.....

monasheemountainman
07-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Thx moosinaround. I will. Was hoping for some better info. I m not looking for everyone's honey hole.

what better info were you hoping for? Oh ya man there are lots of elk along the river...lets talk about it on an open forum!!! just sayin....you got the boat giver a rip, sounds like an absolute blast!

Boner
07-29-2017, 08:33 AM
I've heard jet boats out there. Sounds fun, braap, braap, braap....bugle,bugle....braaaap braap, bugle, bugle.....

Haha yeah. Like the quad buglers.

okas
07-29-2017, 12:20 PM
i was thinking Columbia river

.300WSMImpact!
07-29-2017, 02:59 PM
bring your gong, watch the show, get out and walk, use it to get to hard to get to places and watch the private land, not worth it in my opinion, good luck

belongtotom
07-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Just for general interest , THERE ARE ELK along the Kootenay River in the fall some big herds are spotted each fall , and there is a small herd that lives here year round . That is the good news , the bad news is a lot of land along the river is Indian land , so ask questions . There are a lot of internet experts passing somewhat inaccurate info . Ask questions and enjoy !

moosinaround
07-29-2017, 06:19 PM
Boys are pretty tight lipped 'round them parts when it comes to elk. Good hunting to ya, I'm jealous, I want a boat in a bad way. Moosin

Bugle M In
07-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Columbia River is a better choice for elk hanging around by the banks etc, as someone already stated.
Elk in the EK....you're better off asking a rancher for permission these days.
Elk aren't up in the high country as they once were...biggest reason is most likely wolf populations etc.
Not saying there not there...but not like they were....and it sounds like the elk population has taken a
"big hit" lately in numbers by "some reports".
Also...you may see some elk on the banks in the early morning and late evenings, but ya....not like moose.
Doesn't hurt to go try, if that is your hearts desire.
Better off looking for fresh sign, then get off boat and go in and hunt them....IMO

stixnstones
07-30-2017, 01:34 PM
I hunt Cranbrook when I can for elk n always cut my tag. Was hoping to try something a little different.

Elkchaser
07-30-2017, 02:30 PM
I'll be running the kootenay above canal flats in the next few weeks. More for the boating though, most areas along that stretch are relatively accessible by truck. Been in EK for couple years and have been itchin to run my boat up there. I will look for possible areas to just park and hunt from. Other options are boat launches in wardner, ft Steele and skookumchuk, although skookumchuk is looking a little steep right now. As was already said lower kootenay above kookanusa (right up to canal flats) has lots of PL and IR. Some islands down there that look good though. Water levels will make for fun boating this fall. Way things are going (37 degrees in shade right now) and no precip on horizon, chasing elk using water holes might be a good tactic this fall!