PDA

View Full Version : LEH Dilemma

johnk
07-29-2007, 05:49 AM
A good friend of mine got a November shared hunt for 2 moose along with his partners, his father and daughter. Regrettably his father, who has taken more moose and mulies than most, just passed away.
My question is this; with only two surviving members left in the draw, is his father's part transferrable and/or with only two of them can they still take two bulls?
I know there is a plethora of hunting knowledge/wisdom on this board so any response will be appreciated.
Thanks, Johnk

hunter1947
07-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Yes they can ,four of the group hunt get picked for two moose out of the four ,or three that put in for the shared group hunt. It don't matter who out of the group take the bulls ,just don't shoot more then two. But say there were 4 of you on this hunt and there was open season for spike-fork bull moose or a moose having 3 points on the brow palm that was open the same time as your Shared hunt time for your LEH ,the two that have not shot a moose can take a moose as long as they have a moose tag and it meets the hunting regs for that species.

Steeleco
07-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Not to cause an argument, but does the group not have to be the same as the group submitted? why else would you have to submit all your cards together? I'm not sure you can parachute in a new member? That said, the two remaining group members can still hunt as a group and get one animal each.

Phil
07-29-2007, 08:51 AM
LEH draws are nontransferable, however if your friends call the ministry and explain their case you might get lucky and get placed in their hunt. Regardless, the remaining hunters can still shoot two moose and their is nothing stopping you from joining the hunt as long as you don't pull the triggger if you see a moose.

moosecaller
07-29-2007, 08:54 AM
3 or 4 members in a shared hunt = 2 moose tags. As I read it there are 2 members left which = 1 moose tag. This is a sticky one because there (sadly) is only 2 of the orignal 3 members left. I know the tag is not transferable. I think it may come down to a what if scenerio "what if one of the members could not make it" could the 2 still make 2 kills? Do all the members of the shared hunt have to be present? This is one for possibilities?? These tags were issued on the premiss that there were 3 hunters entering and issued as such, now 1 is gone so the conditions that had to be met are no langer valid.

oldtimer
07-29-2007, 09:10 AM
To my knowledge there is nothing in the regs that state ALL the members of the group have to be at the kill. So I would say that you are still entitled to your 2 moose. Just to be sure check with your CO but I believe I am correct. Mike

jessbennett
07-29-2007, 10:06 AM
in a shared hunt, your group members can be hunting at different times. you all dont have to be there at the same time. you just have to keep other members informed if you shoot a moose, to make sure the group limit is not exeeded.

moosecaller
07-29-2007, 10:46 AM
What I was trying to say was the conditions for this group hunt are null and void. I am sure if you contact the conservation office they would say it is no longer valid for 2 tags.

mainland hunter
07-29-2007, 01:08 PM
the group drew for 2 bulls so take 2 bulls if you can.

KodiakHntr
07-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Doesn't matter how many are still around, the original permit is still valid, and is good for two moose. 2 hunters. No problem.

KodiakHntr
07-29-2007, 02:30 PM
And no, you can't transfer the third parties LEH to someone else.

moosecaller
07-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Play it safe anyone can TELL you it's ok to go ahead and fill your 2 tags ultimately it is you who has to answer to the authorities. Unless those giving you the advice are willing to step up and pay whatever fines you may get if they are wrong in advising you! Come on guys step up. Talk is cheap, but do you know for sure? I'm not sure I am guessing as well but my thought is err on the side of caution. Do you really want to be responsible for someone getting into trouble? Those of you that have said fill the tags may be advising a fellow hunter to do something illegal and unethical, is this right? My advice is still check with the powers that be and DO NOT take the advice thrown out here as coming from a legal all knowing source.

BANG!
07-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm with Mainland Hunter and Kodiak Hunter. One member of the original group can't participate (my condolences to his family) - but two other members of the original group can still harvest two moose (provided they meet all other requirements of the original LEH application).

You probably can't replace the original member (how would the authorities do that in a fair way?) - but you can go along on the hunt (as photographer or camp bitch!) - just as Phil said though, the new guy, if one goes along, can't pull the triger.

Steeleco
07-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Moosecaller has a very good and valid point, so that got me looking in the regs.
I found this section in the LEH paper, on Pg4

If a member or members of a Shared Hunt
group cannot participate, the others may still
hunt.The member(s) that was not participating
may decide to join in the hunt later, but they
must first update the Harvest Details section of
their Limited Entry Shared Hunt authorization
before starting to hunt. If the other group
members have already taken the group’s quota,
then the Limited Entry hunt is over, and they
may not participate. However, if they wish, they
may still hunt for Moose in any general open
seasons that may be available.

This for me is all the proof I would need, the reason the member of the group cannot make the hunt is irrelevant.

While this fellows passing is very unfortunate, I would go out and have the best hunt possible on his behalf!!

Caveman
07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
A shared hunt between three means they can take two moose, regardless or not if all participants are present. Two will need to be there to take two animals, but the third will have to fill out the paper work as well, in this case someone with power of attorney I'd guess. You, going along changes nothing other than you can only take something in open season while there. I've been part of a shared hunt where one couldn't make it due to work, and this is a more of a special circumstance that ours, so take two.

hunter1947
07-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Out of the 3 group members that put in for a shared group hunt ,if one can not make it they the other two are still allowed to take TWO MOOSE. They all get picked but can not shoot over there quot which is two moose. With the deceased person gone there would of had to be three or four people that got picked for their shared hunt in order to be allowed two moose. Am i missing something hear ????.

Caveman
07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Out of the 3 group members that put in for a shared group hunt ,if one can not make it they the other two are still allowed to take TWO MOOSE. They all get picked but can not shoot over there quot which is two moose. With the deceased person gone there would of had to be three or four people that got picked for their shared hunt in order to be allowed two moose. Am i missing something hear ????.

A Shared hunt of three, are allotted two moose tags, as opposed to a group hunt of three, would get three moose tags. Group Hunt, goes in as one ticket so if it gets pulled they all get a tag. In the Shared hunt they go in separately, if one gets pulled they all get pulled, but only two animals with a shared group of three or four hunters, or one animal for a shared hunt of two hunters. The subtle difference between "shared" and "group" hunts. If the third in the party can't attend they can still take the two moose, but the third will have to cancel his paper work, but would still be eligible for the open season.

hunter1947
07-30-2007, 01:03 PM
A Shared hunt of three, are allotted two moose tags, as opposed to a group hunt of three, would get three moose tags. Group Hunt, goes in as one ticket so if it gets pulled they all get a tag. In the Shared hunt they go in separately, if one gets pulled they all get pulled, but only two animals with a shared group of three or four hunters, or one animal for a shared hunt of two hunters. The subtle difference between "shared" and "group" hunts. If the third in the party can't attend they can still take the two moose, but the third will have to cancel his paper work, but would still be eligible for the open season.
There are no more group hunts for moose ,just shared ,i phoned the Victoria wildlife branch ,if one member out of the four get picked you all get picked ,there for you are allowed two moose. Any of the four members can shoot the moose till they reach there quot.

Caveman
07-30-2007, 01:49 PM
There are no more group hunts for moose ,just shared ,i phoned the Victoria wildlife branch ,if one member out of the four get picked you all get picked ,there for you are allowed two moose. Any of the four members can shoot the moose till they reach there quot.

Yes, but a group of three also get two moose. A group of two get one moose. So in the group of three, if one can't make the hunt, the two remaining can still take the groups two moose. At least that's the way I understand it. That's why our hunting party of six always put in for two shared hunts of three so if by chance someone can't make it there is still two tags to fill. Good chance that one of the two groups will get drawn each year. Technically each hunter can only take one of the moose in each group until the quota is filled.

hunter1947
07-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Yes, but a group of three also get two moose. A group of two get one moose. So in the group of three, if one can't make the hunt, the two remaining can still take the groups two moose. At least that's the way I understand it. That's why our hunting party of six always put in for two shared hunts of three so if by chance someone can't make it there is still two tags to fill. Good chance that one of the two groups will get drawn each year. Technically each hunter can only take one of the moose in each group until the quota is filled.
That is exactly what my above wording says ,and yes if three put in for the shared hunt two out of the three shared members are allowed to take two moose ,or any of the three that go along can shoot the moose ,as long as you don't exceed your quote of two moose. And if two people put in for a shared hunt and one of you get picked then you both get picked and you are allowed one moose ,That's WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING THE HOLE TIME.

Caveman
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
That is exactly what my above wording says ,and yes if three put in for the shared hunt two out of the three shared members are allowed to take two moose ,or any of the three that go along can shoot the moose ,as long as you don't exceed your quote of two moose. And if two people put in for a shared hunt and one of you get picked then you both get picked and you are allowed one moose ,That's WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING THE HOLE TIME.

So What You're Saying Is That It Is Clear As Mud I found this all some what confusing and like you was just trying to clear it up so it was easier to understand for everyone. Relax Wayne, Those pain killers going to your head? Just Kidding :wink: Take care of the leg.

moosecaller
07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
No one that has been putting their "expert advice" to these poor unfortunate folks has said if they are wrong they will help them out of whatever pickle they get into if any. I ask the question again what if you are wrong? Would you advise a fellow hunter to break the law? Ask the proper authorities! Save yourself any more possible grief, do it right! This is an extremely rare situation I do not think by second guessing or giving the wrong advise we are helping this situation in any way! Please check in with the MoE to get the right information. I know this is the only way you will get the straight answers to your unfortunate problem. Best of luck and my deepest sympathy to your family.

Steeleco
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
What pickle??, like I posted earlier the reason that a person cannot make the hunt is irrelevant, the "group" has two tags, if the group now only consists of two people then each person is allowed one moose each. The answer is in print already!!

I agree that maybe those involved should make a call to be 110% sure, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they referred the person to pg4 of the LEH regs!!

Gateholio
07-30-2007, 07:28 PM
No one that has been putting their "expert advice" to these poor unfortunate folks has said if they are wrong they will help them out of whatever pickle they get into if any. I ask the question again what if you are wrong? Would you advise a fellow hunter to break the law? Ask the proper authorities! Save yourself any more possible grief, do it right! This is an extremely rare situation I do not think by second guessing or giving the wrong advise we are helping this situation in any way! Please check in with the MoE to get the right information. I know this is the only way you will get the straight answers to your unfortunate problem. Best of luck and my deepest sympathy to your family.

moosecaller, the correct answer has already been given, The regulations posted.

If 3 or 4 people were awarded a (3-4 person) shared hunt, they can shoot TWO moose, between ALL of them. If only TWO hunters can go, they can both shoot ONE MOOSE EACH.

If 2 people were awarded a (2 person) shared hunt for 2, only ONE moose may be shot. If only one hunter goes, then he can shoot ONE moose.

This is spelled out in black and white, already.

johnk
07-31-2007, 06:12 PM
To all those who answered this thread, it is with great appreciation that I thank you, both, for your compassion and obvious passion for this sport. In my position at Tunkwa Lake Resort I have frequent interactions with CO's so I figured I would phone them but then Andy McKay(Merritt CO) stopped in today to spend a couple hours on the lake checking fishing licences so I put the question to him. As many of you answered the two of the original three drawn for the LEH can each take a bull.
I will be accompanying on this hunt as it is in my home Management Unit but strictly for sentimental reasons. My friend who got drawn definitely needs no help but I've hunted with him and his dad as long as I've known them so I'm sure it will be a memorable November.
Once again, thanks to everyone who had valuable input to contribute. This is one of those instances that you realize how valuable this discussion board in particular is. Johnk

Jelvis
10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Johnk remember it's not over till the fat spike/fork is down. So what's the answer john?
If I wore your hat it would go right over my eyes, nose and chin cuz friend you got knowledge.
Did you score a moose? Jel-

swampdonkey
10-30-2008, 09:09 PM
still entitled to 2 bulls my wife broke her ribs and hip a few years back and my dad and i were still able to take 2 moose

Caveman
10-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Johnk remember it's not over till the fat spike/fork is down. So what's the answer john?
If I wore your hat it would go right over my eyes, nose and chin cuz friend you got knowledge.
Did you score a moose? Jel-

The draw is for November. for most of us it's still October for at least one more day Jel.

Gateholio
10-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Guys, this thread is from 2007
:biggrin:

Caveman
10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Guys, this thread is from 2007
:biggrin:

How'd Jelvis get it out of the Archives Then :shock: