PDA

View Full Version : Late hatch for chickens??

Firstblood
07-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Up here outside the Loops I've been seeing tons of teeny tiny down covered spruce/roughy chicks lately. In years past they have been much bigger by this time of the summer and it made me think about survival rates for the spruce and roughies. We had a super wet cold spring up here and I didnt see chicks for a while, saw a couple families today that had tiny down covered balls. Any one else seeing this? the blues up high are doing better with chicks the size of spruce hens already. Im super stoked for the season but thought Id ask the wealth of knowledge that frequent these haunts.

Wild one
07-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Late here in burns as well and buddy says the same for Mcbride

lots of things seem behind though

two-feet
07-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Maybe a second clutch if the first didnt make it? Just a theory

walks with deer
07-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Yup even the fawns where very late this year..

Firstblood
07-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Yeah fawns too, saw three little bambis just today, still pretty little.

walks with deer
07-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Yes if you remember full rut was much later last year and snow was late and then stayed late..
The fluffy spotted fawns are just coming out for walks the last week.

NChunter
07-23-2017, 10:36 PM
Saw a ruffed grouse with one small chick yesterday on the island. Not sure if there was anymore in the bush. Hope there was.

decker9
07-23-2017, 10:49 PM
Iv noticed late as well, and something else, I haven't seen a single wasp this year, and hardly a hornet, but have noticed lots of bee's. 2 summers ago, I couldn't walk out my door without running into a wasp.

Salty
07-24-2017, 07:58 AM
A good example of animals adapting to conditions to ensure their survival, wet damp spring even in the normally dry areas this year so no doubt early nesting was a disaster. So they throw another crop in summer this time with much better weather. Last year there were large early broods all over the place with the nice dry spring, this year not so much.

decker that's good to hear. Lots of reports of bee numbers very low throughout the province in the last while, its a huge problem for farmers. Wasps? Meh.. they can stay low in numbers IMO. haha

Jetboat
07-24-2017, 10:47 AM
A month ago the grouse chicks were feathered and flying here in the north. Seeing lots of chickens and some mornings the rabbits are thick as can be in some areas.

butcher
07-24-2017, 12:28 PM
Same here. Seen lots of chicks flying in late June already. Definitely some second clutch chicks now.

VFX_man
07-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Up here outside the Loops I've been seeing tons of teeny tiny down covered spruce/roughy chicks lately. In years past they have been much bigger by this time of the summer and it made me think about survival rates for the spruce and roughies. We had a super wet cold spring up here and I didnt see chicks for a while, saw a couple families today that had tiny down covered balls. Any one else seeing this? the blues up high are doing better with chicks the size of spruce hens already. Im super stoked for the season but thought Id ask the wealth of knowledge that frequent these haunts.

heard them thumping in June north of loops. Was surprised that they were doing that so late. Makes sense now.

still no fawns seen on the cameras -- hope the cougar didn't get them.

Vfx

boxhitch
07-24-2017, 05:17 PM
A good example of animals adapting to conditions to ensure their survival, wet damp spring even in the normally dry areas this year so no doubt early nesting was a disaster. So they throw another crop in summer this time with much better weather. Last year there were large early broods all over the place with the nice dry spring, this year not so much.......Completely agree in regards to birds, have a late batch of quail running around the ranch.
But timing for deer never changes.........imho )http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/angry/stirthepot.gif

Salty
07-25-2017, 02:12 PM
The stir the pot smilie is fitting boxhitch, I've heard that last topic start all kinds of vigorous debate and some interesting theories :mrgreen:

walks with deer
07-25-2017, 02:48 PM
Boxhitch

I dont care the studies most the deer where late to breed and late to be born this year.

walks with deer
07-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Not much of a argument i see them daily...

Firstblood
07-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Saw some big blue chicks today and over a dozen spotted fawns. Also a double drop tine 4x who made me weak in the knees. Too bad I was at work and these deer know where they need to stay.

250 sav
07-25-2017, 10:18 PM
Maybe a second clutch if the first didnt make it? Just a theory

Most likely two feet is correct

Dog_River
07-26-2017, 05:13 AM
We just moved west of Kamloops and I have been wondering how the Chukar chicks have made out. I have not had the chance to do any scouting yet but I hope to get out with my Setter pup after Aug 1st. Last winter I did see quite a few Sharptail and that was encouraging and great to see.

Pemby_mess
07-26-2017, 12:18 PM
I haven't seen too many Chukars out in Lillooet yet. But I'm on the west side of the Fraser where they're none too numerous anyways. I am however positively inundated with grouse families on our property playing in the sprinklers with the chicken flock.

I had been wondering where the chicks were. I usually see them show up in June. I had been seeing quite a few singles (males I suppose) but the chicks had been conspicously absent until a couple days ago. Now they're everywhere - spruce, ruffed, and blue. I'm pretty sure I saw a ptarmigan with her clutch as well. Red crest and really furry feet - I'm at 400M. Is that possible or should I question my sanity. Do Spruce grouse have furry feet like that?

j270wsm
07-26-2017, 09:52 PM
Can't comment on grouse but the local mule deer fawns seemed to show up around the usual time in elkford

browningboy
07-26-2017, 10:48 PM
The fires will have tremendous impact on them

caddisguy
07-27-2017, 08:06 AM
I was seeing fawns late June but there were probably around before that, as they seemed pretty wise and steady on their feet.

Grouse not so much this year. I heard a decent amount of drumming while out bear hunting, but I have only seen 2 or 3 all year. I am thinking grouse will be few and far between (even by Region 2 standards). Hopefully i am wrong. The last 2-3 years were pretty darn good though.

skibum
07-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Around Kamloops, earlier this week, I saw a couple small spotted fawns - had to take a second look.

On the bright side, twin mulies.

boxhitch
07-29-2017, 09:24 PM
...I dont care the studies most the deer where late to breed and late to be born this year. okay........