PDA

View Full Version : mountain goat hide care?

SaintSix
07-23-2017, 04:43 PM
I have a mountain goat tag this year to a area where I've seen them around. it'll be a fly in hunt for last 2 weeks of Sept and ill be out for 2 weeks. I've read a lot of post about capeing and turning the ears nose lips, but what I was wondering about is do you wash or clean the hide, remove blood? if so what do you use? Even if I shoot it early I wont be flying out to fast as I have a caribou tag as well. How long can I expect the hide to last with a average temperature of around 6C?

j270wsm
07-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Possible to put it in a big plastic bag and sink it in a lake stream and keep it cold?? Could take salt.

shouldnt hurt the hide to wash with water.

Rupert Retired
07-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Don't put it in a plastic bag!! Take some salt. Stretch the hide out as best you can, try to flesh it (a bit) every day. Rub salt into it. You might try to dry the wet salt out, and re-use it. If you're flying in, then take a 5 lb or 2 kg bag of salt in with you, and stash it beside the lake, you won't have to pack it. Better yet, take twice that amount! If you get the goat the first day or so, you will need lots of it. I would say, if there is blood on the cape, wash it, yes, then let it dry, but apply lots of salt to the hide. Turn the ears and lips, and apply lots of salt. If there is only a few days left before you get picked up, then the ears and lips aren't as important, just throw it in the freezer when you get home. The ears are tricky, for sure, take a good scalpel type knife, there are a bunch of options, including a real cheap carpet cutter. If you try to remove the blood from the hair, do it immediately, the first day, before you prepare it at all, then let it dry, do not try to do it again or anything like that. After the initial skinning and cleaning, it should start to dry, with salt and with the sun if possible. If it starts to rain, cover it. You really want to preserve the salt absorption qualities.

ryanb
07-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Keep it dry, flesh it well and salt it heavily. Like a 1 cm layer all over the whole hide. Anywhere that still looks wet after 24 hours, salt some more. Letting it get dry and stay dry are key. Trying to wash out a goat with long hair is going to hinder that process.

Rupert Retired
07-23-2017, 06:03 PM
ryanb - I agree totally with your post. However, I get the idea he is flying in and then hiking. So, 1 cm salt on the hide might be unrealistic, although certainly desirable! But if he is back-packing, the salt will be in short supply, and he needs to preserve it. We used to take a 5 lb box, between two hunters, and had to ration it accordingly, depending on the time left to get out, and what we had to salt. We have dried the salt and re-used it during previous hunts of this type, although it is not desirable, but sometimes necessary.

Huevos
07-23-2017, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about washing the hide. Better to keep it dry. The tanning place will put it through a cleaning process to get it white again. good luck.

BCbillies
07-23-2017, 06:31 PM
I'd consider washing around the exit hole and that's it. You're in the mountains for some time so I'd be prepared to flesh and turn everything. For a backpack hunt 5 lbs will do life size and 2.5 lbs for a shoulder. Weather and bacteria can cause you problems if you're not prepared.

SaintSix
07-24-2017, 01:41 PM
I have a big watertight container (protein powder container) full of salt that I will stash at the drop off point, which I shouldn't be more then a 1-2 days from. I guess my biggest concern was, If I don't wash the hide in the river will the blood stain the cape?

BCbillies
07-24-2017, 06:24 PM
I have a big watertight container (protein powder container) full of salt that I will stash at the drop off point, which I shouldn't be more then a 1-2 days from. I guess my biggest concern was, If I don't wash the hide in the river will the blood stain the cape?

The blood will come out in the bleaching process unless you want to go with the natural look of the hide and not bleach it (the odd person does this). For sheep it is highly recommended that you wash the cape as they will stain and you won't typically bleach it.

07-24-2017, 07:20 PM
There is several good responses to your questions, that sad, if you have never split the lips, or turned ears, I would also recommend talking to your taxi, or at least you tube it ....... It's easy to make a mistake if your new to it. Be sure to remove as much fatty tissue you can before salting. It just makes liquid of your salt. Heed what the several guys have said, your trophy of a lifetime is well worth it. You get to appreciate them for years to come ...... Or suffer from slippage down the road which you won't be happy about.

BowRunner
08-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Or if you don't want to be fussed too much, a European Mount for the head and a rug for the hide. But you'll still need some salt.

SaintSix
08-10-2017, 02:06 PM
I've watched a few youtube videos and also talked to a local taxidermist who said I was more then welcome to come join him and watch if any early season animals come in. So here's to hoping early success for hunters on the Island!

08-10-2017, 02:15 PM
I've watched a few youtube videos and also talked to a local taxidermist who said I was more then welcome to come join him and watch if any early season animals come in. So here's to hoping early success for hunters on the Island!

wow that's a terrific offer by the taxi ...... Go for it.

I appreciate my man cave and mounts more and more, they take you back with memories of lots of blood sweat and next to tears pain you endure to fill such tags. My mountain back back hunts have been some of my best life experiences.

When you look after your quarry while afield, the years of reward will be with you forever.

Looking forward to to your Story and pics upon your return, best of luck to you.

CT