PDA

View Full Version : First Lite

BCHoyt
07-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Just placed my first order of First Lite gear.. Cant wait to get it and try it out for bow season! Got their new Obsidian pant and Chama midweight 1/4 zip shirt.

Wentrot
07-23-2017, 06:19 PM
Really great stuff, you won't be disappointed.

todbartell
07-25-2017, 02:25 PM
have both items and they're amazing. I am/was a Sitka fan but First Lite merino products is all I want to wear these days!

Trojans16
07-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Just ordered those pants as well. For those who arent picky they have some of their old versions on sale at the moment as well.

TARCHER
07-25-2017, 08:23 PM
have both items and they're amazing. I am/was a Sitka fan but First Lite merino products is all I want to wear these days!
eat some fat skinny. shorts and t shirt for me lately

BCHoyt
08-26-2017, 07:23 AM
So I finally got to put the First Lite gear to the test yesterday on opening day... The Obsidian pants are amazing, super comfy, kept me cool in 25 degree weather, durable when crawling under logs.. The 1/4 zip Chama I wore all day long and I didnt feel warm at all.. This stuff is amazing and Im ready to start selling all my Sitka gear now!

czarguy241
09-13-2017, 12:46 PM
I was looking into new hunting pants, how are the obsidians in the rain?

thanks,
Andy

RadHimself
09-16-2017, 03:45 PM
I like the corrugate guides a bit better for the stretch... but i have a set of kanab's as well.... both are incredibly comfy, dry fast and are quiet

todbartell
09-16-2017, 07:28 PM
been hunting this fall in the COrrugate pant, really like it. Dries super fast when wet

BCHoyt
09-17-2017, 07:30 AM
Had my Obsidians soaked completely last weekend hiking thru wet bush... Dried in about 30 mins once back in the open..

tailgate77
09-30-2017, 07:14 AM
I also got a pair of Obsidian pants this year. They are awesome! Superior to the original Knaabs. The pockets are great and the fit is perfect. So comfortable, kind of feel like I am wearing pajamas! But the seem really durable. I got the new Cypher pattern, which I feel is superior to Fusion(no green, darker shades of brown) Highly recommend these pants! I also have four Chama's. Wear them everyday. Couldn't imagine life without them!

todbartell
09-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Just did a few days hunting in the Knab merino pants (Obsidian has replaced this pant), the Knabs were good, but plenty warm in the +20 to 25 temps I was hiking in. Aerowool long sleeve shirt is a great base layer, and I threw on the Chama 1/4 zip hoodie when I would stop to glass early in the morning or evening. Uncompahgre is super warm, I throw that one on at night in camp and it doubles nicely as a pillow when stuffed into the stuff sack for my sleeping bag

BrodieG
10-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Im thinking of trying the Obsidian or the Corrugate guide pants. Anyone have both and prefer one over the other?? Looking for something I can wear all season and just layer under as the season progresses.

todbartell
10-03-2017, 01:46 PM
I have both, haven't worn the Obsidians yet (too fat, got a size L on a smoking buy when Grouse River tanked) -- have two pair Corrugates and really like them. Merino Obsidian will be warmer

nazarow
10-03-2017, 02:17 PM
I find the corrugates a little warm in the first place. Haven't tried the obsidians yet but don't think I would need any warmer. Can always throw some base layer underneath if you need.

BrodieG
10-03-2017, 06:44 PM
I think im going to give the Corrugate guides a go this season

redigar09
10-03-2017, 10:00 PM
where in BC sells first lite? hate not being able to try stuff on.

Wentrot
10-04-2017, 06:01 AM
I have both, haven't worn the Obsidians yet (too fat, got a size L on a smoking buy when Grouse River tanked) -- have two pair Corrugates and really like them. Merino Obsidian will be warmer

If you plan on staying fat let me know if you want to sell the obsidians.

ajr5406
10-04-2017, 06:58 AM
where in BC sells first lite? hate not being able to try stuff on.

Grouse River used to. I think I saw a small selection at Bass Pro I in Tswwassen to. I also think Vantage Point Outfitters on the island has some as well. I agree with you though, as much as I’ve heard they make awesome gear, I’d want to try before I buy.

todbartell
10-04-2017, 09:08 AM
If you plan on staying fat let me know if you want to sell the obsidians.

:mrgreen: .

ve7iuq
10-19-2017, 08:58 PM
I also got a pair of Obsidian pants this year. They are awesome! Superior to the original Knaabs. The pockets are great and the fit is perfect. So comfortable, kind of feel like I am wearing pajamas! But the seem really durable. I got the new Cypher pattern, which I feel is superior to Fusion(no green, darker shades of brown) Highly recommend these pants! I also have four Chama's. Wear them everyday. Couldn't imagine life without them!

Wondering where you could get them in southerly interior, region 3?

tailgate77
10-22-2017, 07:26 AM
I order direct. If you know someone who has a US mailing address and could bring then across, it could save you some bucks in tax and duty. Not sure where in BC sells, aside from Vantage Point. I find the sizing true, which is good. Some brands sure don’t!

Shuswap guy
01-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Just placed my first order of First Lite gear.. Cant wait to get it and try it out for bow season! Got their new Obsidian pant and Chama midweight 1/4 zip shirt.

Hey Hoyt, I see here that you ordered First Lite gear. I am in the process of doing the same and wanted to ask what the charges were across the border?

Did you get dinged for shipping, brokerage, and duty?

Can you remember approximately what said charges were?

I cant seem to figure out when duty and brokerage are applied and when they aren't.

I buy direct from Mystery Ranch and get dinged like crazy for duty and brokerage... yet I buy from Black Diamond or Patagonia and get charged $15 shipping only.

todbartell
01-07-2018, 12:19 AM
18% duty is safe bet for offshore built clothing. add 12% BC tax and $10 border fee

twoSevenO
01-07-2018, 12:45 AM
18% duty is safe bet for offshore built clothing. add 12% BC tax and $10 border fee

If you bring stuff across yourself and keep it to $250 or less you won't be charged anything. Closer to $500 with nexus. At least that's what I have been getting away with and I have been shipping stuff to Blaine and bringing it across for 10+ years.

Even if they make you go in and pay you will just pay 12% tax. They don't bother with duties unless it's tobacco or booze.

Shipping across the border, yes, they will automatically ding you for duties in addition to tax, which I really have a problem with because if you decide you don't want the item and want to ship it back ... good luck with getting that duties/tax money back.

If possible. It is much, much easier and cheaper to just ship to a parcel receiving business in Blaine and go and get it yourself. I pay $3 per package and do it all the time.

Best haul so far, without having to pay tax is $650usd. They are definitely more lenient to Nexus holders. If I had known I would have gotten Nexus sooner. Lol.

Not sure what the "border fee" that Bartell is mentioning is though ...

todbartell
01-07-2018, 01:00 AM
Canada Post charges $9.95 to handle a package going across border

Shuswap guy
01-07-2018, 03:33 PM

Copy that, and it's made offshore without a doubt. Very good, thank you. Will mail to US post box.

Sitkaspruce
01-07-2018, 07:40 PM
FL is only going to be selling direct, like Kuiu, in 2018.

Start looking south of the border for deals, I saw a bunch at Midway, FL, Black Orvis and many others. Not much north of the border. You will pay the duty, unless you know someone who has a box near the border or has family members south.

Cheers

SS

todbartell
01-08-2018, 12:57 PM
some nice looking stuff offered for 2018

tailgate77
01-09-2018, 09:08 PM
The Catalyst looks really intriguing.

SR80
01-10-2018, 07:32 AM
Ive got my eye on that corrugate jacket, looks pretty slick.

firebird
01-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Only selling direct now?

I was getting Fl from MilArm in Alberta.

Sitkaspruce
01-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Only selling direct now?

I was getting Fl from MilArm in Alberta.

Milarms is done.

Yes selling straight from the company now, just like Kuiu.

Cheers

SS

firebird
01-10-2018, 08:24 PM
Darn, I hope in the process the items don't end up more expensive. I thought that MilArms pricing was pretty decent, I never complained.

I slowly switched to Sitka and then started acumulating some FL and was planning on getting more. We will see lol

Ryo
01-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Most of the US dealers are clearing out stock because of the shift to direct-sale. If you have a way to purchase to a US address (use a shipping broker in Blaine, drive over to pick it up), it's a good time to stock up.

KBC
01-13-2018, 10:09 AM
I've read on another forum that prices will be lower.

Squamch
01-14-2018, 08:10 AM
I ordered a neck gaiter awhile back, used it the first time yesterday while snowshoeing. Holy crap it's awesome. Don't need to do the toque over a baseball cap to keep my ears warm, just pull it up so it covers my ears, drop a baseball cap over it and rock on. Neck stays warm even though we were in the clouds. I'm sold!

jim2325
02-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Bit late on this tread but here's a question.

Does anyone have any experience with the First Lite Vapour Ultralight 2 layer rain gear? Does not really make sense to buy rain gear that is light in weight if it is also "light" in performance. Thoughts?

firebird
02-09-2018, 06:26 AM
Bit late on this tread but here's a question.

Does anyone have any experience with the First Lite Vapour Ultralight 2 layer rain gear? Does not really make sense to buy rain gear that is light in weight if it is also "light" in performance. Thoughts?

ive got the 'old' boundary stormtight jacket and pants. Minimalist design and nicely packable, I believe it's a little heavier than the new VAPOUR. But I wouldn't be afraid of buying for fear it's 'light in performance'. I have a stormfront set I use for all day rain wear. But the 'old' boundary stuff is my just in case packed set. I'd have no fear wearing it all day either in the bush

tailgate77
02-14-2018, 10:23 PM
I have the vapour jacket. Not right for the coast. I bought it to have as a emergency layer in my pack. Wear it in a downpour, it wets out pretty fast. The SEAK is much better for all kinds of rain, and thats how those two pieces are intended to be worn. I will wear my Helly Hansen or Arcteryx when it is pissing.

firebird
02-25-2018, 05:54 PM
When are the new products going to be up for sale?

Wentrot
02-25-2018, 07:03 PM
I was told mid march

tailgate77
02-27-2018, 10:42 PM
March sometime for pre-order, shipping July.

Steelpulse
03-02-2018, 02:46 AM
Have some good sales right now, I picked up cirrus ultra light puffy jacket. Heard they fit tight but this jacket intrigues me something useful for my hunting I think. Any experience here?
also waiting on a pair of guide shorts. Look amazing

firebird
03-02-2018, 05:57 AM
I'm not sure about the Cirrus. But the uncompahre puffy fits big

Steelpulse
03-14-2018, 05:09 PM
Just got the cirrus puffy, amazing all I can say is it seems like one awesome jacket. Also ordered the seak rain jacket. Awaiting arrival but expect nothing but greatness

mmckimmi
03-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Just got the cirrus puffy, amazing all I can say is it seems like one awesome jacket. Also ordered the seak rain jacket. Awaiting arrival but expect nothing but greatness

Let us know what the seak is like when it shows up. I've been eyeing one up to replace my lobster red beta lt...