PDA

View Full Version : Water proof back pack ??? which to get

gameslayer
07-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Hello Gang :-D
I am getting serious about buying a back pack for alpine hunting & deep expiditions and have noticed there does not seem to be many water proof ones. From what I can figure I need an external frame for packing game. Is the reason most seem to have a rain flap only cost (obviously a good reason ) . I will be re-reading all the other threads searching back packs as well but was looking for the easy way out by hearing from you expeirenced ownwers on the good one to get. My buddy told me to order 2 based on my research. He was at wholesale sports last weekend but said the selection was terrible :icon_frow . I am a big guy as well so ordering one on line with out knowing how they fit kinda worries me, but if there are other guy's that have found a brad that works that is good to know as well. Say a add for Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame Pack from cabelas but noiticed it is not water proof but looks to be what i want.
I hunt mule,white and moose want to start to hunt elk high alpine critters in near future.
thanks in advance to any replies.

BCrams
07-28-2007, 01:32 PM
No such thing as a real water proof pack unless you go with a dry bag with pack straps on them.

I wouldn't go with the Cabela packs either.

Gateholio
07-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Back packs aren't 100% waterproof, so I pack everythign in zip locs and garbage bags, been doing that since I was a little kid, and it always seemed to work...8)

kutenay
07-28-2007, 01:52 PM
I have had a lot of packs and used them year-round for many years, Gates is right and no pack is H20 proof, well, maybe the new Arcteryx Naos, but, it is not really suited to hunting.

The BEST hunting pack I have EVER had/used is the Mystery Ranch NICE frame-load sling-Crew Cab-6500 bag combo with extra pockets. I have both the original NICE and the new Overkill version and 100 weighed lbs. is comfortable with these, even at 61 with damaged legs. They fit big chests, bull necks and heavy shoulders real well and also a bit of a "beer gut" ....not that any HBC guys would EVER drink.......welllllll.........

Now, the bad news is that these are slow to get, VERY expensive and can take a bit of time to get used to, BUT, they ARE worth the $$$$$$ and will last a lifetime. Mystery Ranch has the best customer service I have ever had and you simply cannot do better.

I would buy a NICE Overkill frame, two Fliptop pockets and a Crewcab with additional top pocket for a 1-3 day hunting pack or to pack meat to horses, quad ot truck; I would add the 6500 bag plus two Longpockets for backpacking trips and this entire ensemble will do it all.

Go to www.mysteryranch.com

Derek_Erickson
07-28-2007, 02:07 PM
If your looking for a solid alpine pack seriously look into this one, Ask Phil how he likes his

http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm

Krico
07-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Buy a quality pack, with a $30 waterproof pack cover and you're good to go. Like gatehouse said, a few plastic bags can work wonders too-I like to wrap my clothing and sleeping bag for extra insurance.

JMac
07-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Good Info. IMO if you want to save major space in your pack use waterproof compression bags. One for your SYNTHETIC/WOOL clothes and one for your sleeping bag. I use the yuppy ones made by Granite Gear (silicone) year round.

BlacktailStalker
07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Eberlestocks are nice, looking at the J104 for this years bivy elk hunt.

Derek_Erickson
07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Blacktail, My dads got the 104, I think theyre discontinued, if I remember right, the 107 has got a few more adjustments to it, theyre really nice packs

BlacktailStalker
07-29-2007, 12:42 PM
The J105 is discontinued as of last year, they replaced it with the J107 and the J104 which is the same as the J105 but not quite as firm a frame.
But thanks for the thought !

One Shot
07-29-2007, 07:43 PM
No such thing as a real water proof pack unless you go with a dry bag with pack straps on them.

I wouldn't go with the Cabela packs either.

X2 - As said there are no 100% waterproof rucks. Pack all your gear in plastic bags. Ziplock makes some big ones may have to order on line from the US. There are waterproof slip covers avaiable for rucks but you may have to search. I have one for winter reversable with woodland and desert.

gameslayer
08-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guy's I am hitting the web sites suggested and doing some reading. Seems like a good pack does not come cheap. Most of the packs suggested it seems like de-boning is manditory. In most cases that would probably be what I would be doing( No expert I must say) but I am hoping some deep elk and Moose expidition are in the futre as well or quartered up deer. Do most of you de-bone your game?

Sako_Halfcok
08-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Check out bad lands packs, i dont think there 100 % water prrof, nor do i think you will find a 100% water proof, pack but bad lands makes very ice packs, bvery high end, but not cheap by anymeans

http://www.badlandspacks.com/

Stone Sheep Steve
08-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Absolutley get a pack cover. Pack material can suck up moisture and add uneccessary weight to your pack and things will get steamy. Not great for optics even if they're waterproof.
I just bought a new one and it was under $15.

Worth their weight in gold, IMHO!

SSS

Dirty
08-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Check out these package deals on the Eberlestock website
http://eberlestock.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=E&Category_Code=PP

BCrams
08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
A Barney. Period.

300WM
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
A Barney. Period.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/41eyD_j8MjL_SS500_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5698&limit=recent)

swampthing
04-17-2010, 07:57 AM
I agree that no packs are waterproof. Water resistant, yes. Get a plastic rain cover. I use a j107 and have there brand rainfly. It doesnt completely cover the pack when your rifle is in the scabbord but it helps.

yukon john
04-17-2010, 08:20 AM
pack covers are good, they get torn of if your hunting on horses though, I use a entire can of silicon on mine at the start of every season, it stays pretty dry, anything important goes in a seal-line bag

MikeH
04-17-2010, 08:33 AM
I use dry bags ziplocks and a goretex bivy bag.Eberlestock makes nice packs still have to pick one up.

boxhitch
04-18-2010, 08:06 AM
A $40 coated nylon or goretex pack cover will get you further than a $10 plastic POS.
The cover will shed rain from the bag, but leaves the straps and back pad exposed to soak up all they can hold. Then the bottom of the cover becomes a basin to hold more.
Try a poncho that covers you, your headgear and the pack. Its like a portable fly camp.
Kifaru had the best available, but discontinued now.

bigshooter
04-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Sea to summit drybags, get three or four different sizes and use them to organize as well.

boxhitch
04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Or strap the dry bag to a freighter frame.

bigshooter
04-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I used a large sea to summit drybag to keep my stuff dry tubing the cowichan river last summer. The bag was ( IN ) the water for 2 hours and not one drop when we got out.
I use a 1 litre bag in my fanny pack, once the bag is rolled up it keeps all the small stuff tight. No rattles and everything stays dry plus if the fanny pack zipper opens on a stick or something the loose small stuff will not fall out. Great bags

Kye
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
I pack all my gear in large ziplock bags. Keeps everthing organized, compresses your gear down and most importantly if you drop your bag in water everything stays dry.

smoothbor
04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
I own a wilderness wanderer from kamloops tough tough pack and fits larger people great, they are costly around 750 for the one I have but the best i have ever had, used on sheep, elk , moose and a grizzly hunt, although it is not water proof but can get a rainskin for it and i do put sleeping bag and some clothes in dry sac inside, you cant go wrong with this pack.

ThinAir
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I would suggest getting a good nylon pack cover (with a hole in the bottom for drainage).
Pack anything you want to keep dry in a waterproof compression sack inside your pack.

When I'm in the high country I always bring a good heavy duty plastic bag for storing my pack in at night. The pastic bag also allows me to pack my de-boned meat cleanly.

I've played around with zip-lock bags,poncho's,etc....I found this system works best for me.

As far as packs go.....Mystery Ranch:-D

Butcherman79
04-20-2010, 11:36 PM
I just received my Mystery Ranch Nice frame 7500 today and have spent all night playing with it. I am looking forward to use it on a hunt this fall.

The service was great when I called and order it. Was told it would take about 4 weeks but I got it in 3 week and a day. They are pricey I paid about 850.00 for mine, that was with the exchange, shipping, duty, gst and pst the government wants there share.