PDA

View Full Version : We may have some work to do.........

Seeker
07-21-2017, 10:02 AM
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/202342/Oinkers-on-the-loose (https://www.castanet.net/content/2017/7/20245635_10155534656362445_8371720366367516661_n_p 3236738.jpg)

If this is the case, we could have feral hog problems soon. For those of us that like bacon(and who doesn't) we should do everything we can to ensure none survive! Rest of the story on Castanet.net

DarekG
07-21-2017, 01:51 PM
I've always wanted to hunt some boars... Link to Castanet article?

Dannybuoy
07-21-2017, 02:00 PM
I think he was being funny , feral pigs are different , not just domestic hogs out of their pens .

HarryToolips
07-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Now if we do see a oinker in the middle of the woods, and were sure that no one is around who would own the animal(s), and they are unmarked or tagged, are they therefore considered 'feral' and we can legally harvest them??

IronNoggin
07-21-2017, 03:37 PM
... feral pigs are different , not just domestic hogs out of their pens .

LOL! The description of feral pigs is just that - domestic pigs that have escaped their pen! :lol:

And yeah, they are Wide Open here in BC as in many other jurisdictions.
Just be damned certain they ain't got anything even close to resembling a fence around them! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Buckmeister
07-21-2017, 05:13 PM
^^^^^^ What IronNoggin said. As soon as a domestic pig escapes it's fence/pen it is considered feral and is considered "fair game" if found on crown land or private land that you have permission to hunt and within the prescribed hunting season and M.U.'s. They really do not want a "wild boar" problem in BC. I know of someone who shot a feral pig a few years ago. There had been some escaped pigs a number of years further back, and this particular feral came from that I believe. This feral pig had already developed a razor back.

VFX_man
07-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Interesting read -- http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/history-of-feral-hogs/

I hunted them down in California -- word had it that these particular ones were introduced by William Randolph Hearst. He imported some Russian Wild Boar to stock his private game preserve at Hearst Castle.

Apparently, everything went along fine and dandy until the boar refused to cooperate and escaped into the surrounding countryside. Over the years the Russian Boar began to breed with escaped barnyard pigs that had formerly belonged to neighboring farmers.

For a couple decades it seemed as though nothing was happening on the pig front, but the hybrid pigs, known as feral pigs to Fish and Game Biologists, were merrily breeding away and expanding their numbers in the wild backcountry of the coastal mountains. Heard some have pushed 800 pounds.

As for my success . . . I just ended up getting stalked/hunted by a Mountain Lion. Never saw it, just felt it, saw a ground bird get flushed behind me and found the fresh tracks on my way out [that were not there before].

boxhitch
07-21-2017, 06:10 PM
So when is a beef feral? When off its trad territory? Mmmm burgers and franks

DarekG
07-21-2017, 06:45 PM
Domesticated pigs are actually one of the few species that goes feral after its put back in the wild.
Within months they will grow hair, tusks, and they'll eat anything the can they are omnivores - So ground nesting birds and eggs, hares, etc. They are pretty nasty.

But I still want to hunt some bacon. :cry:

goatdancer
07-21-2017, 07:42 PM
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/202342/Oinkers-on-the-loose That is a funny picture.

Stillhunting
07-21-2017, 07:51 PM
My co-worker and I each saw one on different blocks up near Turtle Valley this week, but those had nothing to do with fires.

Dannybuoy
07-21-2017, 08:49 PM
So when is a beef feral? When off its trad territory? Mmmm burgers and franks
Yeah , I predict there will be some rustling charges in the news in the future of some gullible hunters .:grin:

Dannybuoy
07-21-2017, 09:17 PM
LOL! The description of feral pigs is just that - domestic pigs that have escaped their pen! :lol:

And yeah, they are Wide Open here in BC as in many other jurisdictions.
Just be damned certain they ain't got anything even close to resembling a fence around them! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
There may be something to this .... I figured that it surely meant the pigs that resemble the feral hogs in the states that are hunted , (there was a farmer in the lumby area that raises them) other areas I am sure . I would think that any feral pigs would be of this variety but ?

Bernie O
07-22-2017, 10:06 AM
To even joke about taking advantage of someones misfortune during this time is beyond my line of thinking. These animals belong to some hard working people who have suffered a severe set back in life.

Darksith
07-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Still haven't seen anyone harvest a farel pig in BC...always rumors, a friend of a friend. There was even a big article in FSJ about it and they found a skull and it appeared the animal was eaten by a grizz...I don't believe that pigs would survive our winters with the number of predators around personally. If they would, we would probably see pics from lucky successful hunters from Im not telling creek

Wild one
07-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Still haven't seen anyone harvest a farel pig in BC...always rumors, a friend of a friend. There was even a big article in FSJ about it and they found a skull and it appeared the animal was eaten by a grizz...I don't believe that pigs would survive our winters with the number of predators around personally. If they would, we would probably see pics from lucky successful hunters from Im not telling creek

Than can survive our winters look at Russia. Alberta has them as well seen pics and know people who shot them. But most have never seen the pigs in Alberta so numbers must be low

there was wild pigs Harrison way my Dad seen them when I was a kid but have not heard any sightings for sometime. Predators in BC might be why

Seeker
07-25-2017, 01:02 PM
To even joke about taking advantage of someones misfortune during this time is beyond my line of thinking. These animals belong to some hard working people who have suffered a severe set back in life.

This is not an attempt to get a free ticket because of someones misfortune (such as do looters), this is more of a concern over the effects of wild pigs on native wildlife habitat. They are incredibly destructive and once a breeding population is established, very hard to eradicate.

If they can recover the pigs, great, if not we better be on it quickly......

skibum
07-25-2017, 01:40 PM
I think wild pigs could survive our winters, but we don't have the food sources in BC forests to sustain a wild hog population - (or the large industrial farmlands)

I used to get excited about some wild bacon, but it is mostly a pipe dream fed by videos from the southern states.

Some states have banned wild pig hunting to stop dudes from "accidently" letting them go on their property to create a new hunting revenue source.