PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing on the Squamish

jassmine
07-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Hey everyone,

Saw a few guys fly fishing out on the Squamish.
To me it seemed a tad early, is it worth it to give it a try already?

Mulehahn
07-19-2017, 09:40 AM
It just opened for pinks on Saturday. Won'tbe too many, if any, yet but they are in the area. My guess it is a few who just wanted to get out, explore and have some fun. If they catch a fish it is just a bonus. After all, opening day is opening day; hard to resist!

Wild one
07-19-2017, 09:49 AM
More than salmon in that river

good place to target bulls

Mulehahn
07-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Didn't think the bulls would be in this time of year. But then again, I don't target them this time of year so I don't really pay attention to it. Good to know.

Wild one
07-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Didn't think the bulls would be in this time of year. But then again, I don't target them this time of year so I don't really pay attention to it. Good to know.

Always some in there year round but they have there prime times

knothead
07-19-2017, 08:29 PM
There's resident bulls in the river year round but of course there's better times of the year to fish them. In the spring before freshet when the fry are moving and fall with egg patterns. Most people Spey fishing are actually hoping for the magical steelhead unicorn but end up catching bulls as they will hit on the same patterns.

ajr5406
07-20-2017, 11:37 AM
I love swinging big flies for steelhead in Squamish in late winter. Bulls are there pretty much year round as well as Dolly's and big resident rainbows. Its a blast to fish... To be honest, salmon are my least favourite species to fish for in Squamish.

Last pink run a buddy and i hit it mid run on the Mamquam and landed 48 pinks on spey rods between us in 2 hours. Virtually every cast yielded a fish, mostly fishing scandi's too!

jlirot
07-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Anything at Furry Creek yet? I like to take the kids there and fish from the beach. Pinks are a great way to get the kids excited about fishing! They taste like shite (too mushy for me) but they're fun to catch!

albravo2
07-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Pinks are starting to come in. Bit of rain today which will help too.

The easy spots start to get a bit crowded but never like the Vedder.

My fave is early, early morning just downstream of the rail bridge over the Mamquam. Nice place to fish and usually just a few folks there. Park by the SPCA and walk a couple hundred yards.

BigD_83
07-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Anything at Furry Creek yet? I like to take the kids there and fish from the beach. Pinks are a great way to get the kids excited about fishing! They taste like shite (too mushy for me) but they're fun to catch!
I had a grad student in yesterday who said yes. He pulled a few.

Riverbc
08-14-2017, 09:38 AM
My 8 year old grandson says it's time!!

https://i.imgur.com/FPJbmnd.png