PDA

View Full Version : Can you eat wolf???

OceanMon
07-16-2017, 01:13 PM
From what little I know, seems like people don't eat wolf. Why not?

If you do, how do you cook it?

Thanks!

monasheemountainman
07-16-2017, 01:22 PM
uhhh... cuz its a fuggin dog

scoutlt1
07-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Thanks!

Check with Andrew Weaver. He may have some ideas. :)

carnivore
07-16-2017, 01:35 PM

He probably has some ideas for preparing Crow on which he will be dining soon.:mrgreen:

139grainsofhell
07-16-2017, 01:36 PM
You try it and let us know how it is��

mpotzold
07-16-2017, 01:39 PM

Yes it's coming- not before the 18th!:razz: And that will include all predators!:shock: You must eat what you shoot!:-P

Fella
07-16-2017, 01:57 PM
You can eat all living creatures. Should you? No.

Bear Chaser
07-16-2017, 02:26 PM
I shot one on a fall hunt a few years ago. After I had finished the caping, fleshing and salting I decided to tidy up the skull as much as possible. Since I was sitting by a campfire I just tossed the little bits of flesh into the fire to dispose of it as I went. When got to picking out the brains with a stick I just threw them in the fire as well. I have to admit that the smell of the cooking grey matter reminded me that it had been a few hours since my last meal. I was tempted for a few seconds at least.

landphil
07-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Well, our very own member Big Boar ate coyote while he was still with us, with no ill consequences. I'd sooner eat wolf than coyote, or even cricket flour for that matter. I'd probably cook it over a fire with lots of garlic, salt and pepper. Letting out a long, loud howl at the conclusion of the meal may be appropriate too. ;)

It looks like sea lion and seal might be good things to add to the menu as well, might help the salmon populations recover too. :)

rocksteady
07-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Ate wolf at a game banquet one year, not. Ad with half a crock of weisers in your belly first

Steeleco
07-16-2017, 02:43 PM
I met a member here that had just ate wolf stew. Said he's not do it again, but some at the function liked it.

J_T
07-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Ever been to South America? Ever notice on some menus red meat falls under the category of "lobo"? Dog was a constant at the butchers in the markets in small towns.

Edzzed
07-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Don't they eat dogs in Asia, I wouldn't order that nor would I try horse meat. I did try alligator once and it was good.

OceanMon
07-16-2017, 03:45 PM
So it seems from the responses that the reason people don't eat wolf is "because it is a dog.".

It seems weird to me that this would be a reason since many non-hunters would give the similar reasons for not eating rabear or deer.

Yes, they eat dog in Asia. It is quite popular with some I've had it. Grilled dog is not so bad.

Don't people eat cougars?

If there isn't a valid reason not to, maybe I'll try wolf.

IslandWanderer
07-16-2017, 03:48 PM
I posted a wolf recipe on here a while back. I've never had it, but the guy who wrote the recipe and posted it online seemed to think it was delicious. Lots of marinating in wine as I remember. I hope to try it this fall.

IslandWanderer
07-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Here it is, with link to the website.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=331925&dateline=1495959826 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?331925-IslandWanderer)IslandWanderer (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?331925-IslandWanderer)
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-online.pngCutblock Creeper

Join DateMay 2017LocationVictoriaPosts255

Re: Wolf hunting tips
Excerpts from the website: http://www.chrisdevonshire-ellis.com...meat-152.html/ (http://www.chrisdevonshire-ellis.com/preparing-cooking-wolf-meat-152.html/)

"Beer & Red Wine Marinade
Liquid: Half Dark Beer, half strong red wine (Cabernet or Shiraz)
Ground black pepper
Decent slug of rock salt
Small Handful of juniper berries
Rosemary
Bay leaves
I left the wolf in this for one week. The aroma of the meat however was still very strong, and I needed to do something about it. Then – brainwave: a whisky marinade. Keeping the beer/wine marinade to one side (to reduce and use later as a sauce), I created the following marinade to finish the tenderizing, again enough to cover the meat:

Whisky Marinade
Liquid: Half regular malt or blended whisky, half vodka, plus
Half cup of a big smoky whisky such as Laphroaig or Lagavullan

This was left for 24 hours. Upon smelling it again at this time, the powerful gaminess had been reduced and partially replaced with a strong smoked smell (which is why the half cup is important) that complimented the aroma of the meat."

"While all this is going on, you need to prepare and cook the meat. This was boned, and then sliced into medallions. These were then quickly pan fried, for about ten minutes, not too long or it becomes tough. Serve on a plate with the side dishes and sauce and enjoy. Accompany with chilled vodka shots (“Toktoy!” is Mongolian for Cheers) and a strong red wine, preferably a Hungarian or Bulgarian red if you can get them. It was extraordinary. Delicious, to gourmet standards and I may have just written the best and only recipe for preparing and cooking wolf. Enjoy! "

OceanMon
07-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Cool! Thanks!

ACB
07-16-2017, 04:06 PM
Wolf? I think they would be great walked, with high heat and peanut oil, or was that WOK-ED! If one showed up to that dog festival in China I don't think they would turn their nose up to it.

rocksteady
07-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Depends on how it's cooked...

cougar hams are great...

fry the living heck heck out of it nothing is palatable

shortrange
07-16-2017, 04:13 PM
I ate dog once in Shanghai many years ago. Some street vendor guy was selling sticks of roasted meat and he was cooking it over a brazier. It smelled great so I tried some. It was savory. He said it was dog. Since I already had eaten some when I got that info it was too late to turn back. In China they call it "fragrant meat". Put it on your bucket list for sure. As for horse, I had it a few times and it is like beef. Just leaner. When you eat any meat be sure you know exactly where it came from. Otherwise you are taking a risk. I probably shouldn't have eaten dog from a street vendor, but then I was younger and stupider ;)

tipper
07-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Nearly threw up reading this. HYDATID is not something to play around with!

IslandWanderer
07-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Nearly threw up reading this. HYDATID is not something to play around with!

It's bad news, but at least it'll slim a person down for beach season.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-16-2017, 07:21 PM
The tape worm thing may or may not be an issue! lolz

landphil
07-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Cook it well. It prevents the urge to drag your butt across the carpet after. :lol:

HarryToolips
07-16-2017, 08:45 PM
^^^lol......hey OP, have you ever eaten at your local chinese smorg???

07-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Glad im not the only one who thought of Dave with this thread. He would be proud!

OceanMon
07-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Hydatid eh? I think I'm sufficiently scared to not eat it now. Anybody want to convince me that it shouldn't be that much of a concern?

KodiakHntr
07-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Pretty sure the smell of a dead one will convince you not to eat it......

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Hydatid eh? I think I'm sufficiently scared to not eat it now. Anybody want to convince me that it shouldn't be that much of a concern?

Cook above 160 Degrees and "hydatid" (not to be confused with tardigrade) cysts will be destroyed as shall other parasites. Worst case (unless they matastize in an extremely extraordinary way - CNS et al) is mebendazol and a tape worm abortion yet this won't be an issue in the general way of things. Don't lie - You were scared to eat it in the first place to ask a pack of internet strangers to advise on the matter.

As always, use internet forums such as HBC as high entertainment yet do not seek advice online. There are professionals for such. They're a worthy investment.

Besos!

walks with deer
07-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Hmm I have eaten pussy wolf cant be that bad...

my wolf receipe is as fallows..
1.skin the animal
2.build a large fire.
3.throw whole carcess on fire.
4.drink a bottle of whiskey and watch sizzle.
5.eat a shitty cup of mr noodles.
6.go to bed.
7.whatever is left in morning throw on the coals..

Option b always miss them when you shot at them to keep your knives clean.

IslandWanderer
07-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Cook above 160 Degrees and "hydatid" (not to be confused with tardigrade) cysts will be destroyed as shall other parasites. Worst case (unless they matastize in an extremely extraordinary way - CNS et al) is mebendazol and a tape worm abortion yet this won't be an issue in the general way of things. Don't lie - You were scared to eat it in the first place to ask a pack of internet strangers to advise on the matter.

As always, use internet forums such as HBC as high entertainment yet do not seek advice online. There are professionals for such. They're a worthy investment.

Besos!

Well said sir!

redthorn
07-18-2017, 05:07 PM
Here it is, with link to the website.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=331925&dateline=1495959826 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?331925-IslandWanderer)IslandWanderer (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?331925-IslandWanderer)
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-online.pngCutblock Creeper

Join DateMay 2017LocationVictoriaPosts255

Re: Wolf hunting tips

Excerpts from the website: http://www.chrisdevonshire-ellis.com...meat-152.html/ (http://www.chrisdevonshire-ellis.com/preparing-cooking-wolf-meat-152.html/)

"Beer & Red Wine Marinade
Liquid: Half Dark Beer, half strong red wine (Cabernet or Shiraz)
Ground black pepper
Decent slug of rock salt
Small Handful of juniper berries
Rosemary
Bay leaves
I left the wolf in this for one week. The aroma of the meat however was still very strong, and I needed to do something about it. Then – brainwave: a whisky marinade. Keeping the beer/wine marinade to one side (to reduce and use later as a sauce), I created the following marinade to finish the tenderizing, again enough to cover the meat:

Whisky Marinade
Liquid: Half regular malt or blended whisky, half vodka, plus
Half cup of a big smoky whisky such as Laphroaig or Lagavullan

This was left for 24 hours. Upon smelling it again at this time, the powerful gaminess had been reduced and partially replaced with a strong smoked smell (which is why the half cup is important) that complimented the aroma of the meat."

"While all this is going on, you need to prepare and cook the meat. This was boned, and then sliced into medallions. These were then quickly pan fried, for about ten minutes, not too long or it becomes tough. Serve on a plate with the side dishes and sauce and enjoy. Accompany with chilled vodka shots (“Toktoy!” is Mongolian for Cheers) and a strong red wine, preferably a Hungarian or Bulgarian red if you can get them. It was extraordinary. Delicious, to gourmet standards and I may have just written the best and only recipe for preparing and cooking wolf. Enjoy! "

Why? And who?!? would ever, ever waste a half cup of good Lagavulin on marinating a piece wolf? If you find this guy that respects his Scotch so little, please put him in contact with me so that I can take care of those bottles for him

OceanMon
07-18-2017, 05:29 PM
Why? And who?!? would ever, ever waste a half cup of good Lagavulin on marinating a piece wolf?

Probably someone who really respects the animals he shoots.

REMINGTON JIM
07-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Thanks!

Of COURSE u can But like Crow and Skunk will taste shitty I Suspect ! imo. RJ

300rum700
07-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Probably someone who really respects the animals he shoots.

There's more to hunting and conservation than just killing for food. That's fine if you don't want to kill anything your not going to eat but don't put yourself on a pedestal if you can't see the value in harvesting wolves without eating them.

blu-nsr
07-20-2017, 06:24 AM
Although I'm certain it would be safe to eat a wolf, the main reason for not doing so is rather simple....

Have you ever smelled a wolf being skinned?! If you're willing to put any part of that critter in your face after peeling one out you have larger issues than what to marinade with!

two-feet
07-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Vilhjalmur Stephansson wrote "my life with the eskimo" , a hell of a good read. He lived off the land for years and years, eating all of the delicious meats the Arctic has to offer, including fat caribou and seal. He said his favorite meat of all was wolf.

rimfire
07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaHxYlcjICA

These guys ate coyote...

303carbine
12-02-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanks!

Some like to eat dog, I prefer what some call cougar.:mrgreen:

tuner
12-02-2017, 12:35 PM
uhhh... cuz its a fuggin dog
Enough said!!!

HappyJack
12-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Why? When we have moose, elk, deer and bear meat to dine upon?? They could feed wolf to all the down and outs at St. Vincents I suppose.

dracb
12-02-2017, 01:41 PM
I ate dog once in Shanghai many years ago. Some street vendor guy was selling sticks of roasted meat and he was cooking it over a brazier. It smelled great so I tried some. It was savory. He said it was dog. Since I already had eaten some when I got that info it was too late to turn back. In China they call it "fragrant meat". Put it on your bucket list for sure. As for horse, I had it a few times and it is like beef. Just leaner. When you eat any meat be sure you know exactly where it came from. Otherwise you are taking a risk. I probably shouldn't have eaten dog from a street vendor, but then I was younger and stupider ;)

A lifetime and couple of million airmiles ago when I first started working offshore a wise Honduran geo gave me some advice when I walked up to a street vender's cart. That was: "El que come de la calle, Muere en la calle". This translates to "He who eats from the street, dies in the street". I should have listened to and heeded his advice. Just about everytime I had health issues it was because I ignored that sage advice and fed from a street vendor stand anywhere from Africa to Asia to South America.

Poor Vern actually died from hepatitis.