PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting

Big Bucks
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
This is the first time i will be hunting for Elk , i was wondering what was the best time to elk hunt , and when are they rutting , whats the best time to call them ? any info would be great thanks

30-06
07-27-2007, 05:05 PM
im guessing rut would be late september till late october..just my guess

hunter1947
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
The best time to be there would be for the pre rut ,that starts up around Sept 1 to Sept 15th ,that is when they are looking for the cows to become his gals ,this is the best time to bring in the big guys in ,they are very vocal at this time and will come in better at this time of the year ,then latter in the season. The second rut is good to ,but not as good as the pre rut ,the cows that did not get bread in the pre rut will come into estrus 21 days latter ,that would be the last week of Sept into the first week of Oct ,but at this time it is not as hot as the first rut.

Jelvis
07-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Last week in August til end of first week in October, Hunt in the early Sept up to end of third week in Sept. Hunt rock slide funnels, set up a spot and call. Bull will answer and might show himself for a shot. Elk hunting can require a 300 yard shot or a shorter shot, so sight in good. Hoochie momma call is best for beginners and works in the Gold Creek area in MU 4-3 and the likes. Bull elk have been known to come straight into the caller so be prepared and have fun and good luck in 07, Jellyvis.

hunter1947
07-27-2007, 07:35 PM
One more thing to remember when you are in elk country ,elk can almost be anywhere ,so expect to see them when you don't expect it ,be on Gard at all times ,and when you smell something like a cow barn ,you are real close to the herd ,then slow down and crawl ,be real alert because they are only a short distance away ,you then set up at a good vantage point and give a few cow chirps ,this might arouse the big guy or the satellite bulls ,if it is a big herd there might be 3 or 4 smaller bulls and one of them might almost be the big guy's equal ,be very alert and don't move ,they have it all ,eyesight ,smell and hearing . good luck :wink:,hunter47.

Woodrow
07-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Ive only been hunting elk for about 4 years and every time I GET CLOSE TO ONE i MAKE A Mistake and the big guy buggers off, I love it, personally I think that they are the best thing to chase in the bush, other than women!

hunter1947
07-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Big bucks ,if you want more info about the personality of the beautiful bull elk and there gals just send me a Private message and i will try and help you in any way i can :wink:,wayne.

Mulies
07-28-2007, 07:46 AM
I've heard that Elk are getting a lot harder to bugle in. They have learned that quite often its a human at the other end of a challange. You well be better off if you stick to just cow calling. If you get close to a herd of elk and listen you well hear that the cows and calfs are very vocal. They chirp back and fourth all the time almost. If you can get down wind of a herd and cow chirp you might draw the bull out to herd you back into his harem or a satalite bull might come in and try to steal you alway from the herd bull. What ever happens if you get cows calling and bulls bugling and you are somewhere in the middle it well sure get the adrenalin pumping.
Good luck and have fun!!

Big Bucks
07-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys for all the info , i'm going to be hunting for them up in 7-5 , 7-6 , 7-7 , hopefully it all goes well ,i'm not to sure if there is that many elk there though we will just have to see.

Frango
07-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Wayne is on the money when he said that elk can be anywhere. Last year my hunting partner and I got a nice 6x6 in the most oddest place. We had made a couple of bugles then cracked a beer and had a not very quiet conversation, because we where not really expecting a bull to be there, when he called back. We had worked the herd early in the morning and had decided to go way back in the bush away from the herd in the evening. This guy was a very very long way from the herd and was not part of the herd that we worked that AM at least not that we noticed. So yes they can be just about anywhere. We have hunted 7-6, 7-7 in the past and have never seen elk, but good luck!!

30-06
07-28-2007, 12:23 PM
i seen a few in 7-8 last year in beginning to middle october..i can't wait to hunt then around here in 8-5 this year