PDA

View Full Version : Staying Downwind versus Scent Lock Clothes

highcountry88
07-27-2007, 12:46 PM
What are opinions on the new scent lock type clothes out there? Do you think they can cover human odor? I am an old school always-stay-down-wind hunter, but some guys swear that this new fangled stuff works. Whadayathink?

daycort
07-27-2007, 12:55 PM
i believe the scent lock stuf works to a certain point. it is tuff to cover the scent up from your face and hands and feet. it is best to hunt with the wind in your face.

Gus
07-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Definitely doesn't hurt, but nothing beats the wind in your face. Its kind of a good back up for when the wind does an unexpectant swirl or something. I myself always use cover scents and i would swear by it. It seems that the animals still smell me, but just aren't sure what the smell is. It can buy you some time if nothing else. My 2 cents.

newhunterette
07-27-2007, 01:11 PM
What are opinions on the new scent lock type clothes out there? Do you think they can cover human odor? I am an old school always-stay-down-wind hunter, but some guys swear that this new fangled stuff works. Whadayathink?

I usually take our hunting clothes and wash them with no scent wash - I run a cycle of hot water and no scent wash thru my machine then wash the clothes and I make small little dirt satchet to put into my dryer to dry the clothes then they get these little dirt pucks into the pockets and into a dark bag into a bin until ready for wear again - seems to work for us

Ali

Gateholio
07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
scent lock can probably buy you a moment or 2 in some situations, but the wind cannot be defeated...

MB_Boy
07-27-2007, 01:25 PM
I wear Old Spice while hunting and it has still yet to help me actually see an animal while hunting, but it seems to "mask and cover" all other scents.

Fisher-Dude
07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
My understanding is that an ungulate needs only one scent molecule from you to detect you. And of course your scent is dispersed when you breathe. So, all the scent-lock in the world ain't gonna help ya if you're upwind - depending on how long you can hold your breath! :mrgreen: Nothing beats being downwind.

moosecaller
07-27-2007, 01:30 PM
The wind is free how much do these clothes cost? I have never had the need for it and I seem to score every year. I suppose it all depends on style of hunting and abilities. Whatever works for you I guess.

Elkhound
07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I wear Old Spice while hunting and it has still yet to help me actually see an animal while hunting, but it seems to "mask and cover" all other scents.

Old spice? No wonder you hunt, eat, sleep, and work alone:mrgreen: But I hear it's like an aphrodisiac to the farm girls in MB:wink:

BlacktailStalker
07-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Scent lock is a joke.
Test; Put your nose by my ass when I fart. If you can smell it, it doesnt work.
I remember in '42 my grandpa swore by scentlok lol. And his rangefinder.
I am a fan (well i use it) of earth scent cover up. It is nice to offer game a smell of something else to distract from it, the smell of human. SOme people believe in "misting", an array of smells to almost confuse the animal.
In the end, I believe that if the scent isnt native, they are immediately alarmed and big bucks n' bulls dont get big by waiting to see if they should run or not :)
Storing your clothes in pine boughs or cedar chips is also an option.
I never wear my hunting clothes while cooking or near a camp fire and prefer to hang them outside over night, renewing the earth scent every day or so.
I get awfully close to blacktail bucks so there has to be some success to my methods.

peterrum3
08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Personally I believe that all this scent lock, no scent soap stuff is another gimmick which is designed to catch the money out of your pocket and not game. I won't spend a cent on that stuff and I still fill my tags. Stick to the basics and like others have said here, stay downwind.

Chuck
08-11-2007, 12:06 PM
The importance of scent I think, is of prime concern to bow hunters, who must get very close to their target to connect. Being a gun toting still hunter, I don't place a high importance on scent-free clothing, but do regard wind direction when moving on hunt. I may get away with making a sound, but if my movement is spotted - I'm tagged and the game is up, especially if eye contact is made. No, I don't see the need for special clothing to better my chances in the type of hunting I do, however weather and other conditions where I hunt are my main concern.

diggerpax
10-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I've done the scent-lock thing taking all the steps- even the scent blocking gum. Scent-lock made a good deal of money off me, and salute to them for a great marketing plan. When the bull is down wind, you don't have a snowball's chance in hell. I've been winded in open country with barely a faint breeze from a couple hundred yards. Remember about 10 or 15 years ago when we all covered ourselves in elk piss? How dumb do we look now. Don't eat meat and you won't smell like a carnivore- right. Hunt the wind, or just settle for hiking a lot and eating beef.

todbartell
10-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Hunter Specialties Scent-Away Plus is what I usually use, on my jacket and pants before heading out. It is supposed to kill human scent and also add a fresh earth cover scent. I dont know if it helps much but I dont think it hurts any.

BlacktailStalker
10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I dont rely on anything except the wind. However if you are bowhunting, still in a stand or ground blind, dousing yourself with an earth scented cover spray or storing your gear in pine boughs or w/e, will help mask the strength of your scent that will linger if you arent moving. Obviously you cant contain your scent but you can mix it up with, possibly reducing the strength enough to not alarm the deer as soon.

Phil
10-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I prefer to allow my clothes to dry on the line for a day or two and wash them without any detergent. I don't buy scent free detergent. When in the field I like to rub a little scent gland on my clothes. It seems to work for me.

bighornbob
10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
I have heard of a law suit down in the states where some guys are suing Scent-Lock becuase they have proved it does not work.

BHB

Will
10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Scent lock is a joke.
Test; Put your nose by my ass when I fart. If you can smell it, it doesnt work.
Dam I wish I'd read this before I had a tiff about scent lock clothes with a Moron on another site..............:lol::lol::lol:

Gimmicks...all of it:wink:

Bowzone_Mikey
10-04-2007, 07:10 PM
scent loc doesnt work ...in fact they are being sued right now because of that the fact it dont work as advertised

this link ..has more links to follow

http://forum.bowzone.ca/showthread.php?t=7007