PDA

View Full Version : Early season Elk on the Muskwa

Grasp
07-08-2017, 07:24 AM
Hey Guys,

So I have a jet boat trip planned for myself and my old man up the Muskwa this year. We'll be dropped off on Aug 24th for a week. Going for about an 8 hour ride so we'll be pretty deep. This is his dream hunt of a lifetime and I am very excited to be able to take him. He's from Ontario and has never hunted Elk before. If anyone has any tips for this area or early season Elk hunting in general I would greatly appreciate it. I don't even care if I am able to harvest on this trip I just want to do everything I can to make sure Dad can put one down. And he doesn't give a shit about rack size. That's why i chose this unit, it has a 3 point season. I would have booked later but the outfitter just didn't have the dates available that worked with our schedule. I've been on two Elk hunts before (both unsuccessful) and have read Corey Jacobsen's Elk 101 site multiple times so I feel like I have a good handle on the theory. But as we all know there is a big difference between knowing the theory and being able to close the deal. This will be primarily a rifle hunt. I am bringing my bow in case it looks like I have a chance with it. I have worked as a forestry engineer for 15 years so getting around in the mountains is no problem for me and I'll have my GIS dept make us lots of maps of the entire area we might be in. We're bringing our own camp and assume we'll set up not too far off the river and day hunt from there. From what I understand we shouldn't have too worry about hunter pressure. Thanks for any help you can offer and I wish you guys the best in your upcoming hunts this year.

Cheers,

J

Huevos
07-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Never been in the area so cant help you there. As far as early elk go, the bulls will most likely be high to get away from the flies. You might be able to use a locator bugle to find them. The bulls will be sizing up the competition for the upcoming rut, so a new sounding bugle might peak interest. If they do come take a look, they will probably come in silent for a sneak peek, so patience. Find a good spot to glass some slides, send out a locator bugle and stay put for a while. Good luck.

604redneck
07-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Another member and i are planning on heading up in my jet boat this year.

Takla
07-08-2017, 02:30 PM
ive hunted the Prophet River for yrs,7-49 find fresh sign then work the area bugleing at first and last light will help locate a shooter...once found especially with cows stay on them without spooking and youll get yur bull
goodluck on yur trip

takla

Stillhunting
07-08-2017, 02:54 PM
I find game to be on North aspects in the early season, more often than not.

Grasp
07-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Really great info so far guys! Thanks for all the tips!