PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Lower Mainland!

Wolvaroo
07-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Made it my resolution to harvest my first animal in 2017 and now that I've got all my licensing in order I'm here making the obligatory "New hunter looking for mentor" post!

I'm a hands-on learner so I'd love to start out shadowing someone rather than sponging up media on my own.
If anyone out there around Vancouver doesn't mind bringing along a 31 year old new guy I'd love to tag along, even in a purely observational role.
Ducks off the Dyke, Grouse in the hills, Ungulates in dense brush, it all sounds good to me!

tuner
07-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Congratulations on acquiring a new favourite hobby!
When the season draws closer PM me,I'll take you along if your still in need of someone to tag along with.

monasheemountainman
07-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Good luck dude, welcome to hunting you are gonna love it!

Wolvaroo
07-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Tuner, thank you so much for the offer! I may very well take you up on it!

scotty30-06
07-08-2017, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the site and to the lifestyle....I am in delta ....do you have any/or some of your own gear?.....whats some of your goals to pick up....i have taken some guys up and showed them some tracking and navigation wilderness skills aswell as hunting....if your gonna be up there you better know what to do in bad situations...hell we are all still learning....but having some wilderness skill is essential to solo hunting....so what's some of your goals?

Wolvaroo
07-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Hello Scotty!

I have held off on buying any hunting specific gear untill I have a better understanding of what I should be buying..Right now I have a 12ga O/U, a .303, and a scoped .22, some camping gear, and an old low end geocaching gps. I have some money put aside for when the season starts. Unfortunately I have a few expensive hobbies so money is always a small concern.

I've been on a some multi-day hiking and canoe trips before but can't say I have any real wilderness skills honed.

I don't really have any specific goals for this year. If I was to start right away by myself I was planning on heading out with a friend with a 4x4 on some FSRs looking for rabbit or hare. Seemed like a reasonable place to start with what I had. I don't have my own freezer, boat, or truck, so my options are limited.

Edit: I just ordered a decent hunting knife and set of binoculars, any other "Must-Have" Gear?

Fella
07-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Hello Scotty!

I have held off on buying any hunting specific gear untill I have a better understanding of what I should be buying..Right now I have a 12ga O/U, a .303, and a scoped .22, some camping gear, and an old low end geocaching gps. I have some money put aside for when the season starts. Unfortunately I have a few expensive hobbies so money is always a small concern.

I've been on a some multi-day hiking and canoe trips before but can't say I have any real wilderness skills honed.

I don't really have any specific goals for this year. If I was to start right away by myself I was planning on heading out with a friend with a 4x4 on some FSRs looking for rabbit or hare. Seemed like a reasonable place to start with what I had. I don't have my own freezer, boat, or truck, so my options are limited.

Edit: I just ordered a decent hunting knife and set of binoculars, any other "Must-Have" Gear?

Boots. If your feet hurt you're gonna have a bad time.

rimfire
07-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Boots. If your feet hurt you're gonna have a bad time.

And not just any boots. Make sure you buy good ones. Nothing worse than blowing out the treads on a $75 pair of Canadian Tire specials. While hiking out a deer. While fully loaded. In a foot of snow.

Wolvaroo
07-12-2017, 03:59 PM
I Feel kind of stupid for forgetting I threw out my old boots last year.

Just ordered a pair of Asolos.

Pinewood
07-16-2017, 01:56 PM
What kind of Binos did you get? I would buy the very best ones you can afford or even not really afford. You will never wish you had bought lower quality...

Wolvaroo
07-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Leupold Acadia 10x42. Was planning on getting the Mojaves but they were sold out.

Fella
07-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Leupold Acadia 10x42. Was planning on getting the Mojaves but they were sold out.
I have a pair of the Acadias. They're certainly more clear than the redfield rebels I started out with so you should be happy with them for a few years at least

Wolvaroo
07-16-2017, 03:20 PM
For my knife I picked up a North Arm Lynx and have some Big Bill Wool outerwear on the way. I'm not sure the PNW is the ideal place for hunting in wool, but I literally had no winterwear anyway (even after living in ON for 7 years) so it'll see some use either way. I think my Tilley Hemp hat or a toque will suffice for headwear.

Any good gps/map android apps? Consensus on the internet is that modern smart phones mostly beat out dedicated handheld GPS units these days. Although I do geocache so I've had an eye on a Garmin Oregon for years.

Any other recommendations? My CORE instructor swears by a "Butt-Out".
How about consumables like game bags?
Backpacks? Rigging?

I know a lot of this depends very heavily on what I end up hunting, where, and with whom, but surely there are some givens I'm missing.

Fella
07-16-2017, 03:36 PM
I hunt in wool, it's a great choice. Quiet, doesn't stink and stays warm when wet. Get a set of merino baselayers and some raingear and you're set.

Also great choice with thr Lynx. I have one as well and provided you know how to sharpen you'll have no issues with it.

Wolvaroo
07-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Made some more purchases:
A butt-out and gutt hook, Wool gloves, Polyester Long Johns, a sling for my Enfield and .22, and some wool hiking socks.

I know I still need a good backpack (I have an old Army Surplus one that is heavy and not great).

Wild one
07-26-2017, 09:52 PM
Don't go gear crazy and save money for going hunting

every new hunter I have taught ends up with a bunch of gimick crap they regret buying

Keep it simple and focuse on the basics weapon, boots, binos, pack and knife

scotty30-06
07-27-2017, 04:23 AM
^^^^^^this is worth listening to....you dont even know if ya like this shit yet lol get some basic gear....come out for a few hikes and see how it sits with you.

Wolvaroo
07-27-2017, 07:12 AM
Everything I've picked up so far (minus the butt-out and gutt hook) can pull double duty for hiking and winter camping so I'm good there at least! It all fits with my "Retire to the Yukon" end game plan. Just need to convince the wife...

Boner
07-27-2017, 07:28 AM

Knife sharpener, and at least one exacto knife. You can do a lot of skinning work with an exacto knife and keep your good knife sharp.

Wild one
07-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Here's a small bit of advice learn to deal with a downed animal with just 1 knife. Reason is everyone has that moment of crap I forgot or lost that tool.

Gut hooks work nice but I can split the belly on a deer with my knife faster than I can find the gut hook in my pack and no need to switch tools to finish the job

As for the butt out tool in my opinion it is more useful for threatening to use it on lazy hunting partners than on a deer lol

I am really a down to the basics hunter so some may not agree but my pack is nice and light making it easier to hike all day

Wild one
07-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Knife sharpener, and at least one exacto knife. You can do a lot of skinning work with an exacto knife and keep your good knife sharp.

Exacto knife for skinning is great advice.

DeepJeep
07-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Although you dont need a range finder, I like them as they are handy. The first thing I do when I get settled somewhere is range ridge lines, tree lines, etc so I know approximately how far of a shot it would be.

I just bought a new one and my old one will be going on sale sometime soon here. Keep an eye out.

DJ

Wolvaroo
07-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Yeah. Threatening the butt out on the missus was worth the $20 already! Range finder is in the category of things I'll likely be picking up next season unless I really miss them this season.

Depending on what I end up hunting this year I've got my eye on a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .308 maybe paired with a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42.

Asco
07-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the rabbit hole. You need a havalon and some 10x42 EL's

Mostly it's about getting out there. You always make do
enjoy.

ajr5406
07-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Once you have the basics (rifle, scope, binos, boots, raingear), hunt this season with what you have and decide what you really "need". Better yet, get a hunting partner and share some of the gear (camping and cooking gear, range finder, coolers), so you can split the costs.

Before you you get a decent pack, use what you have and work out what you really need in a pack.

Boits and optics are really the non- negotiables in my opinion.

Wolvaroo
08-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Anyone going snowshoe hare hunting this long weekend?

WWBC
08-12-2017, 07:04 AM
Sounds like your off to a good start.

My recomendation as a relatively new hunter myself is. Grab your daypack and pre-pack it with everything you think you need ( this will evolve over time) and leave it by the door. Then when you have an opertunity to get out side just grab and go. Solo hunting is a great way to get started, this way all you have to worry about is you and your hunting.

Find a spot you think looks good and hunt it hard. Check your wind, look for sign and areas you can glass from or still hunt through. Make a plan and see how it plays out and adjust as Needed.If there's squirrels around see if you can move slow enough to still hunt past them. You'll be amazed what you learn by just being out there doing it even if the area isn't great. Just hunt it like it is.

As for gear- buy a wind checker bottle, make sure your kill kit is in order and if you have rain pants in your pack put them on before field dressing.

Good luck-- I'm sure there will be more opportunities to join people in October.

Wolvaroo
08-12-2017, 10:21 AM
I already keep my hiking and fishing gear packed up and ready to go, just a matter of repacking it for hunting season.

Thanks for the tips!

IronFox
08-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Hi Wolvaroo,

sounds like we are in the same boat. Where do you live? I'm super stocked to harvest my first animal this year as well.
I'm happy to share the info I already gathered and maybe meet for beers in the near future.

Gear and Rifle/Bow is ready to go and can't wait for the season to start.

Wolvaroo
08-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Hey IronFox! I'm in Richmond. Picked up some extra work on the weekends and got myself a Tikka T3x Lite in Stainless Steel with a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x-10x in 40mm recently. Really looking forward to getting out there!

brian
08-25-2017, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure the PNW is the ideal place for hunting in wool

wool really works well for day hunts in the PNW where you can anticipate getting a good place to dry out at night. Nothing wrong with it. In fact your poly base layer is going to stink to high hell after a few hunts. I hunt mostly with wool and fleece. I'll pack a couple of extra layers or rain gear if I am expecting a ton of rain or I will be far from my truck.

I will reiterate, you don't need a ton of gear! Resist the pressure to get all the latest scent blockers, doe piss, calling aids, Super X ozone camo etc etc etc. They are gimmicks designed to lure in hunters, not game. What you should do is read everything you can about your quarry, then get out there as much as possible and scout or hunt. Then read some more, then get out there some more. Then read some more... learn everything you can about their behavior. You never know when a little trick or knowledge of behavior will pay off. last year I bagged a deer because the night before I stayed up late watching youtube videos about deer communication and how callable a snort wheeze was for a deer. Of course I didn't have the fancy calling tube the guy in the video was selling but hell, my pitiful sinus clearing snort wheeze worked anyways. Good hunters know the habitat, know the terrain, and know where they are more likely to run into whatever it is they are hunting. Good hunters don't need to buy gimmicks to kill their animals!

A few notes on what has been mentioned in this thread. A Range finders are only useful if you hunt very short range like bow ranges or really long range. They are completely not needed for average rifle shooting. All you need is a little pocket knife to gut a deer. I've done all mine with a small 3" folding knife. Plan on getting the animal out. Consider its size and location carefully. If you are going to drag the whole animal then bring a rope. Bring some bags to pack the heart liver and lungs etc. Bring meat bags if you are going to quarter or de-bone. Not having this sort of forethought will really bite you once the adrenaline of the kill shot is over and the real work begins! Happy hunting. I envy you for having the first season, so many wonderful lessons to learn! Enjoy it!

scotty30-06
08-26-2017, 01:54 AM
Iron fox and wolveroo do you guys have any areas picked out or are interested in....I would be willing to show you guys a spot or two to get ya started...or at least meet up for a beer and point ya in the right direction.

tuner
08-26-2017, 06:47 AM
Once you have the basics (rifle, scope, binos, boots, raingear), hunt this season with what you have and decide what you really "need". Better yet, get a hunting partner and share some of the gear (camping and cooking gear, range finder, coolers), so you can split the costs.

Before you you get a decent pack, use what you have and work out what you really need in a pack.

Boits and optics are really the non- negotiables in my opinion.
This is a great piece of advice, the basics are the only requirements, everything else is a luxury,and in some cases,
become a burden.

ajr5406
08-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Camo really isn't necessary for deer etc but if you don't want to spend the stupid amounts of cash required to purchase top line camo clothing such as first lite and Sitka etc, check out your local Winners store. I just picked up a camo Under Armour Ridge Reaper hoodie for $35, down from the usual $85 that you will pay at the hunting stores. Should be a nice early season piece and can layer it under a heavier jacket as the weather cools.

But really, a season under your belt will really help sort you out in terms of what you really need. I'm still new and have a couple of seasons under my belt. I'm sure glad I didn't spend all the money up front on the things I thought I needed back then. Spend your hard earned cash in gas instead if gimicks

Fella
08-27-2017, 05:15 PM
I hunt in wool pants on the island. They work extremely well even in the rain and dry off quite quickly.

albravo2
08-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Iron fox and wolveroo do you guys have any areas picked out or are interested in....I would be willing to show you guys a spot or two to get ya started...or at least meet up for a beer and point ya in the right direction.

Take this guy up on his offer!

Not only is it very generous, I find I'm much more forthcoming with good advice (especially regarding where to hunt) after a beer or two.

No matter what, you're on the right track. Plan to get out alone, or with an old friend or new friend, and you won't be disappointed. There is something magical about hunting season, even if you just get a ton of exercise carrying a gun (or bow).

Have fun!

stro52
08-27-2017, 05:47 PM

Can anyone get in on that lol?

scotty30-06
08-27-2017, 06:08 PM
^^^^thanks man....im a solo hunter mainly always a nice change of pace....plus will show them a bit abput survival.....at least some tips to help in emergance situatuion

Snip3r
08-28-2017, 10:41 PM
Hi, I too would love to come along and learn.

i'm also very new and have my hunting license and PAL.

Anyone kind people out there who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes...?

Snip3r

IronFox
08-29-2017, 02:28 PM
^^^^thanks man....im a solo hunter mainly always a nice change of pace....plus will show them a bit abput survival.....at least some tips to help in emergance situatuion

Hi Scotty, I'm very flexible for location, since I will be working in the OK Valley. I'm currently aiming for 3-18, 8-9/ 8-12, I would love to chat and take your advise.
Yes, If you are free for a beer or willing to take a newbie on your side, please connect over private message :)
Where abouts are you located?
Cheers, IronFox

IronFox
08-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Take this guy up on his offer!

Not only is it very generous, I find I'm much more forthcoming with good advice (especially regarding where to hunt) after a beer or two.

No matter what, you're on the right track. Plan to get out alone, or with an old friend or new friend, and you won't be disappointed. There is something magical about hunting season, even if you just get a ton of exercise carrying a gun (or bow).

Have fun!

Absolutely agree Albravo, would you mind sharing what your top picks are for things to buy, read or to prepare for a successful season?
I already gathered extensive knowledge in the back country, and therefore have all the gear for light and efficient game scouting.
Thanks,
Adrian

IronFox
08-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Hey IronFox! I'm in Richmond. Picked up some extra work on the weekends and got myself a Tikka T3x Lite in Stainless Steel with a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x-10x in 40mm recently. Really looking forward to getting out there!

That's an amazing Setup for your first year! I have pm'd you with contact info.
Cheers.
Adrian

scotty30-06
08-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Im in vamcouver....wpuld be able to show you places around there.....might be in penticton area in october will pm you closer to that date

IronFox
08-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Im in vamcouver....wpuld be able to show you places around there.....might be in penticton area in october will pm you closer to that date

That's fantastic the closer to home the better :) I'm in Vancouver as well. OK Valley for business.

Wolvaroo
08-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Sorry for the late reply; stopped getting notifications for some reason.

I'm free nearly any weekday evening and almost always on the weekends except Sept 2nd.

I would absolutely love to take you up on the offer.

scotty30-06
08-31-2017, 12:44 AM
No worries pal....I sent a pm