PDA

View Full Version : Hunting north east of Fort Nelson.

glen8221
07-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Hi Guys, I've been hunting 7-B since 1982 and am looking to try a new area. Just wondering if anyone can pass on some advice on Elk and Moose in the Ft. Nelson area. Looking at two weeks in September. Have been to Ft. Nelson a few times but never hunted there. I have looked at Google Earth and it does show some good roads in the area. Are Quads allowed in this area? Thank you in advance for any advice or local knowledge.

ve7iuq
07-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Hi Guys, I've been hunting 7-B since 1982 and am looking to try a new area. Just wondering if anyone can pass on some advice on Elk and Moose in the Ft. Nelson area. Looking at two weeks in September. Have been to Ft. Nelson a few times but never hunted there. I have looked at Google Earth and it does show some good roads in the area. Are Quads allowed in this area? Thank you in advance for any advice or local knowledge.

Quads? You need insurance on any public, meaning forestry road used for hauling logs, etc. anywhere in the province.
For moose north of Fort Nelson, just go to any area that looks like good moose habitat. There will be moose, if it is country the moose like.

Takla
07-09-2017, 08:49 AM
ive hunted all around Ft.Nelson since the late 80's so know it well.There are moose in every direction but Elk pops are better to the south west.If i was you id be looking in 7-49.Check your synopsis on ATV useage,theres restrictions on early morning use.
Best to time your trip for the rut.For moose we always went in on sept 14th and usually had at least 1 bull down by the 18th/19 that was consistant over 20 ys hunting in there.
goodluck

canucks6
07-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Down the Sierra believe it was 160 to 180 k somewhere. Been quite a few years. Get on the WALRUS spur road. Most moose activity I saw in 5 years all over that area.

Surrey Boy
07-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Moose used to be everywhere along the Komie.

Thunderstix
07-11-2017, 09:26 PM
There are lots of moose up the SYD and Komie etc.....and as for early morning quad restrictions.....lived there 10 years and that is the first i have heard of that.....in Alberta yes.

Bustercluck
07-13-2017, 05:44 PM
I put a trip in there last year. Didn't see any elk. Lots of moose. I think the name of the road was komey or comie (not sure of the spelling). It was a long ways in and the road was made up of some kind of material that stuck to everything and turned to concrete. Fortnelson seems like a pretty diverse place for different game. You just have to go a couple hours in a different direction and you'll find almost anything you want to hunt. We were hunting around the natural gas wells. Quads were fine. It was hard to get off the road anywhere though. The guys maintaining the wells were pretty friendly, they kept showing us pictures of a giant bull they were seeing almost every day.

Thunderstix
07-13-2017, 08:15 PM
The Komie takes off left at the 121km marker on the Aierra Yoho Desan Road. Dont go left here ans you keep driving to the Helmut which is at the 188km marker if my failing memory serves me correctly.