PDA

View Full Version : Deer Defence Suggestions

Iron Glove
07-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Our cabin borders on an area of Crown Land and the Tulameen River, we've been walking our dogs there 2-3 times daily, sun, snow, all year 'round for the last 14 years.
There are deer there, from Spring to Fall, of course they high tail it when hunting season starts.
Over the years we've noted the deer getting more aggressive, often "stalking" us when we have the dogs along. They've pretty well lost all fear of humans and dogs.
We regularly encounter black bears, have run into Bobcats, Cougar and a young Grizzly, no problems, the only critters we fear are the deer.
Our older dog was turtled by a doe years back, she now tends to ignore them. Our younger dog ran into 2 does a month ago, he was startled, moved towards them ( they were maybe 10 ft. away on a very small rise ) the deer snorted, he came back to me immediately. The deer then proceeded to stalk us the rest of the walk, keeping 10 - 30 ft. away, behind, in front, beside us. The dogs were leashed for safety.
I've tried hollering at the deer, throwing rocks and sticks at them, buggers just keep it up.
I appreciate that in many cases the deer are protecting a fawn and we try to avoid conflict but damned if I'm gonna cease the walks.
So, question of the day is "What is the best non lethal deer defence suggestion."
Have a slingshot and steel shot, don't want to do any harm, just scare the buggers off. :mad:
I apply every year, and fail every year, for a doe LEH, figured I could eliminate at least one of the offenders. :lol:
Any ideas what the legal implications of shooting one in "self defence" are ?
Could tell the story of our then neighbour tearing off with her Hubbie's 30-06 to shoot a deer that had cornered their Lab but that' a story for another day.

DarekG
07-06-2017, 09:43 AM
I thought this thread was going to be a joke so I wasn't prepared to provide a serious answer... Rubber buckshot? Bear spray? Punch them in the snout?

elknut
07-06-2017, 10:02 AM
The best answer would come from a CO....Everyone else is assuming you have the right to shoot an animal..In a legal hunting season I was told by CO's that you do have the right to defend yourself but must self report asap..When in doubt go to the source...Dennis

J_T
07-06-2017, 10:09 AM
I carry a 5' walking staff with a nice burl on the end. The deer know I will use it. I also have used paintball guns. If you freeze the paint balls, when you carry them they thaw a bit. When you use them, they have both impact and marking tendencies. While having coffee on the deck, we watched two does stalk a guy walking his dog this morning. He was doing what he could to avoid them.

ajr5406
07-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Have you tried a punch in the face...?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw

Iron Glove
07-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Some good advice - keep 'em coming.
The frozen paintballs sounds promising. I tried out the slingshot with steel balls on the shed I'm tearing down, methinks might be too much penetration.
Yes, will ask the CO to be certain of my rights - the deer probably has more rights. :mrgreen:
"Punch to the face", intriguing but that's getting a little too close for my comfort.

Mosin
07-06-2017, 12:07 PM
You can buy predator urine in liquid and pellet form from places.(online) sprinkle some of that around where u walk. I'm sure the does would leave the area asap if they happened upon wolf urine. Might make them a little more afraid in general.

J_T
07-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Yes, will ask the CO to be certain of my rights - the deer probably has more rights. :mrgreen:
In my jaded experience if you ask a CO, you will get their 'opinion'. If they like wildlife (IE are a protectionist), they'll advise you not to, if they view urban wildlife as a conservationist or nuisance, they might suggest deterrents are a good idea. I wouldn't put much value in asking a CO.

bigredchev
07-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Bring a stun cane from canadaammo

Keta1969
07-06-2017, 01:19 PM
How about Bear bangers. Easy to carry and sound like a gunshot.

finngun
07-06-2017, 02:09 PM
Sotty with bean bag shots...if ya can find them..

Iron Glove
07-06-2017, 03:09 PM
How about Bear bangers. Easy to carry and sound like a gunshot.

Thought of them ( have lots ) but the deer are really close when we see them, would mean firing at something 10 ft. away.

07-06-2017, 03:38 PM
I like the big stick idea.... and the paintball idea..... but I think your going to be better off with the stick....

Iron Glove
07-06-2017, 04:05 PM
I like the big stick idea.... and the paintball idea..... but I think your going to be better off with the stick....
Sherwood or CCM ;-)
Wood or composite ;)
My goalie sticks are to hard to wield, I'll have to practice with a forward's stick to get the swing right.
Deer defence, Real Canadian style. :mrgreen:
The frozen paintball / slingshot is attractive to me.

07-06-2017, 04:14 PM
lol, my dad has a couple of walking sticks he had picked up.. mostly I think parts of straight roots? lol he has sanded and varnished them to be used as a walking stick and a "confidence" booster for dogs when he is out walking....

I would think that if a deer does go after your dog, it will be close to you.. and wacking it in the head with a decent stick should change its mind..... or get you killed one or the other.....
paint ball is way more fun but might get you in trouble,,, and at best be a pia to carry

adriaticum
07-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Have you tried a punch in the face...?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw

that roo would be in my soup

goatdancer
07-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Bear spray the nasty critters.
Or like some others have stated, carry an ' attitudinal adjustment instrument '. I make my own and carry them all the time when I walk my dog. Have had many comments about my stick.

Keta1969
07-06-2017, 05:42 PM
If they're that close, a good blast on an air horn might produce results.

rocksteady
07-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Pack an umbrella and open it quickly at them.

Maybe the intimidating posture will scare the hell out of them..

OoDark
07-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Long cattle prod for close up. Long range pain ball would be safest for the deer. However they do have pepper guns, like paintball but pepper powder. Not sure if it has long term effects.

Mosin
07-06-2017, 06:32 PM
What the heck? Lol I'm hurt. No one likes my wolf urine idea? They would clear the area quick...no? Gardening stores sell it.

Iron Glove
07-06-2017, 08:47 PM
What the heck? Lol I'm hurt. No one likes my wolf urine idea? They would clear the area quick...no? Gardening stores sell it.

I think that our dogs would go nuts if there was wolf piss around.
Mind you, their noses would be stuck in the ground so much they'd never notice any deer. :D
So far this week tho' no deer encounters, too damn hot for everyone here.

Buckmeister
07-06-2017, 08:58 PM
I too suggest an air horn, but maybe get the dogs used to the sound first.

Kill-da-wabbit
07-07-2017, 12:13 AM
Seriously - don't laugh.
Get your buddies, a six pack or 3 and mark you own territory. It may not do as well on the deer, but it will keep the predators away provided you dont have a bunch of garbage attracting those bears. It helps keep your camp predator free in the fall as well.

J_T
07-07-2017, 03:55 AM
I'm not sure urban deer worry about human piss or wolf piss. I have wolves and deer passing through my cameras all the time.

The positive thing about paint-balling, is you may be able to build a case that the aggression is from one particular animal, and then you might be able to use the services of a CO and have the animal culled. The one with all the paint on it, is the one people will know to avoid.

caddisguy
07-07-2017, 07:15 AM

My brother used coyote urine to get rid of a raccoon. Now he has a coyote problem lol

Iron Glove
07-07-2017, 07:45 AM
The positive thing about paint-balling, is you may be able to build a case that the aggression is from one particular animal, and then you might be able to use the services of a CO and have the animal culled. The one with all the paint on it, is the one people will know to avoid.

I like that idea. :)