PDA

View Full Version : Healing Sciatica Pain

KingBuckHunter
06-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Hi my friends and fellow hunters,

To those who suffer sciatica nerve pain (lower back, thigh and leg pain due to bulging discs), what remedies do you use to make yourself feel better? Just wanting to be healthy for this hunting season 😊

My remedies are stretching, therapy and drinking pineapple juice!

Fisher-Dude
06-27-2017, 10:05 PM
Go see a chiro who has ART training (active release therapy).

Hurts like hell, but it's worth it.

And stretch those hamstrings.

markathome
06-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Ditto for active release therapy. My chiro took my blown up ankle (wicked hard wipe out early days of WB mountain bike park) that never really properly healed... and brought me to a pain free place where I regularly run much further than is recommended by the surgeon general!

It was 100% active release therapy that put me back together.

dabber
06-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Stretching, good posture ,lot's of walking. It seems the busier I am the better I feel.
I drink but it's not pineapple juice..
The best advice I can give is to those that don't have back/sciatic problems. Don't try and be a Super Hero, get help, take a second trip or don't do it. Some times are bodies are slow healing or just don't.

ajr5406
06-28-2017, 05:47 AM
I have had the same issues, originally from a herniated disc about 8 years ago, and it still flares up.

The best things you can do is improve your flexibility and improve your core strength. See a good physio/chiro and get a good treatment program and stick to it.

Also, avoid sitting as much as possible. Sitting increases the pressure on your spin 4 fold, so try and stand when you need to sit and move as much as possible

Ride Red
06-28-2017, 06:08 AM
Core strength is key with a stretching routine. I compressed a vertebra 30% with a bad fall close to 20 years ago now, but you'd never know it. Posture and staying hydrated are also something to be mindful of.

allan
06-28-2017, 06:22 AM
The right stretching and the right chiropractor did amazing things for me, I went a whole year before I could find the right chiropractor that could get it right for me. I had damaged my SI joint from a wakeboarding fall and I could hardly walk straight for over a year because, I now use a good chiropractor and a physiotherapist that uses dry needling, (sorta like acupuncture) to keep things in check.
You might want to post your location so someone in your area might point you to the right Chiro in your area that worked for them.

Wentrot
06-28-2017, 06:26 AM
I had the misfortune of dealing with a herniated disk and stretching multiple times a day saved my life. Amazing how well it worked to heal the darn thing.

ACE
06-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Get your back X-Ray'd ..... CT-Scan or MRI. Do this before any chiropractor 'adjustments'.
Core strength and being hydrated are important.
If you're an older person, you're healing time may be longer.
Don't let your body pain work on your head .....

Toadhunter
06-28-2017, 07:33 AM
why pineapple juice

Bugle M In
06-28-2017, 09:27 AM
Get your back X-Ray'd ..... CT-Scan or MRI. Do this before any chiropractor 'adjustments'.
Core strength and being hydrated are important.
If you're an older person, you're healing time may be longer.
Don't let your body pain work on your head .....

^^^this.
I have a birth defect I never new about until it all went south.....
Tried much of what everyone has said here (hasn't helped me.....)
Find out what's going on 1st. (core strengthening is always a good thing)
As for stretching/Chiro....I'd wait til you know what your situation is 1st.
Chiro can help, Stretching can help, especially if the pain is due to just tight muscles.
IMS or dry needling if it is tight muscles....I would do that before a Chiro.
Actually, if you are really tight, massage and IMS treatments are advisable "before" doing Chiro.
Inversion table helps a lot of people as well....but go slow at 1st.....really...go slow.
Active release is something I am not sure I have tried....but if others have found help...then it is always worth trying.
(I know I will be asking around now)
Walking, not sitting for sure.
Hydration is great advice as well.
If all people knew what nerve pain can feel like, they would all be taking steps it keep a strong core.

Hope you get better soon, and that it doesn't last forever.....it sucks when you can't stand due to back/nerve pain.

eastkoot
06-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Dr. Ho.. As seen on TV..

weatherby_man
06-28-2017, 01:29 PM
I tired it all when my sciatica was at its worst the only thing that truly helped me was acupuncture. Took about 6 treatments before it was gone. Actually since doing that I have not had a recurrence of sciatica (2 yrs). I would recommend it for anyone, and dont worry about the needles, I had the best naps ever while the needles were in and I was in a quiet room laying down.

Ron.C
06-28-2017, 02:03 PM
I also suffered from sciatia. Was horrible and it took a couple years to finally sort out the treatment that worked for me. I have a very particular stretch that works wonders, but if I don't do it properly it hurts like a *******. My recommendation is let the medical professionals determine the best way to treat your condition. Too easy to cause yourself more pain or aggravate the condition by grasping at straws and trying a treatment that worked for another.

TPG
06-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Walking, core exercises and traction or an inversion table were the only things that got me through the day. Even after six months of chiro and physio 3-4 times a week I needed surgery to fix my herniated disc. If it's bad enough that it affects you daily I'd pay to have a CT scan done and skip the long wait. I think it's between $800-$1000 to get done privately but I'd say worth it to know exactly what you're dealing with. Try to keep in mind that everyone's injuries are different and what worked for one person might not for another, but as long as it's not doing damage it doesn't hurt to try. And try to take it easy as much of a pain as that can be to do.

ForealBoreal
06-28-2017, 07:30 PM

sumonda
06-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Oh yeah I know that pain well!... L4 disk. Absolute agony for a month in bed.. lots of pain meds for 5+ years I was super careful with my back. Its been 8 years now and I can say I'm about 90/95% on a good day, I get a reminder once in a while if I do something stupid, but for the most part I'm pretty much as good as I'm gonna get. Dr. said surgery was a last resort for my case and that if I was careful it would heal up on its own. I wish you well and hope you heel as I did. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone!

KingBuckHunter
06-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Pineapple juice with ginger and flax seeds. One month of consumption can reduce the pain.

ajr5406
06-29-2017, 08:04 AM
Thank you all for your input, my faith in others' genuiness and kindness to help people out is temporarily restored.

Try not to lose hope. Its a long road... When I did mine about 8 years ago it was extremely painful for about 3-4 months before it started to get better.

Core strength, stretching (with proper form - very important) and mobility will really help. Back extension are your best friend (from a prone position, pushing up gently with hips still on the ground) will help push that disc back into place.

It will take some time, but slowly it will get better.

steel_ram
06-29-2017, 09:18 AM
Go see a chiro who has ART training (active release therapy).

Hurts like hell, but it's worth it.

And stretch those hamstrings.

Yup! It hurts so good. The release is amazing. You will learn how to apply pressure to those points yourself with such high tech tools as soft balls, rolling pins etc. If your chiro is just a 10 min appt. back cracker, find somebody else.

Exercise helps to keep those joints fluid. I do some light trail running and that keeps things moving. Yoga classes help as long as you can keep your eyes from popping out of their sockets.(unless you go to old lady yoga)

I know everyone is looking for the magic pill for an easy fix, but really that's pretty much a waste of time for lazy people.

rocksteady
06-29-2017, 12:08 PM
I also use an inversion table... 20 minutes a night hanging not quite upside down.. relieves the effect of gravity..

I have had scoliosis since about 15 so used to back pain.. (Scoliosis is the curvature of the spine...mine is both side to side and twist)

RossP
06-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Also go to the health food store and get spray Magnesium, we are all deficient in Magnesium, both the wife and I have compressed disc's and the spray magnesium has helped us greatly, we are no longer on pain killers daily.

Wolfdown
06-29-2017, 12:16 PM
I've struggled with lower back pain and left testicle pain for years but because it was so inconsistent (few days every free months or more) I never got it dealt with or checked out. Fast forward to about 10 months ago and it had gotten progressively worse and I had relatively bad back pain along with again left testicle pain (think of it like a migraine in your balls) some days being really really bad that I could hardly move and left testy aching all day! Finally had enough and saw my DR and got tests etc etc CT Scan etc etc. Turns out I have three bulging discs that are hitting nerves causing the testicle pain. He said there wasn't really options to help me out surgically right now and that if it didn't get better cortisone shots might be an option, which I didn't want! I'm too young for that.

He recommended physiotherapy, massage and chiro. Today I've been pain free for 4/5 months. I think that chiro worked wonders for me and it's important to remember that it's a process!! It's not going to get better after one or two sessions! (Probably worse) but stick with it and I'm sure it will eventually get at least somewhat better!

Good Luck!

Bugle M In
06-29-2017, 03:42 PM
if people only knew how bad back/nerve pin can be, they would all take the time to exercise core muscles etc,
and take time to get help before it gets bad....I handled the pain that was intermittent for years, not knowing that
it could end up ruining my day to day life.
I wish I could just stand there and "wash the dishes":shock:....let alone stand and have a conversation.
Do take peoples advice on here...get it looked at...see if it is anything like bulging discs or curvature etc.
Doctor will tell you to exercise...and, if overweight....lose it!
You would be surprised how many doctors will blame being "overweight" as the problem to just about everything.
(I'm not....so they all ways tell me it's "not that" etc).
All the advice on here can help...some more than others....just be sure you know what is going on 1st.
Otherwise you can waist money on this and that, and just be further in the hole...
If doctor doesn't send you for at least a CT....then sometimes it is best to pay out of pocket.
Once you know what or if anything is "not normal"....then you will be better off to take the right steps.
Some things suggested are less problematic...such as massage or ims or ART.
Chiro is great as well.....but I would rather know up front if there is a "structural problem"...IMO.
Inversion is something to also try once you know.
What ever you do...if it makes it worse....stop.
From all thee reading on forums with back and leg pain.....a lot find success with Chiro.
The other being inversion table.
Some said acupuncture....
That all being said, I used a Chiro, but it made it way worse....cause I had a pars defect (not completely formed vertebrae).
That's why I say it is always good to know before you try some of the treatments.

Laurp99
06-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Last year while loading the camper onto the truck I pulled a hattrick!

I put my back out, damaged the sciatic nerve and discovered I had a hernia a few months later!
I went to the chiropractor and had physio, my back got better after a month or so but it took about 8 months for the pain in the nerve to finally disappear.
The Chiropractor helped me more than the physio treatments, I know how to stretch and have a gym membership but rarely did took advantage of this.

Stretching and exercise is more of a daily routine for me now, hate getting old!
Staying in shape is the key for me to help prevent these type of injuries.

Hunting season's a coming and retirement is only a few years away so I can't afford to get hurt again. :-P

walks with deer
07-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Thc and rough sex fixes it...

Just kidding stretching,hydration, see a doctor and good light shoes.. and not to much time sitting..

goatdancer
07-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Thc and rough sex fixes it...

Just kidding stretching,hydration, see a doctor and good light shoes.. and not to much time sitting..

You forgot "medicinal" rum........

VFX_man
07-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Look into "Arnica Montana" in the purple tube - 6 little tabs under your tongue.
http://www.arnica.com/category/arnica-uses/
http://www.boironusa.com/products/arnica30c-pellets/

My wife is keen on homeopathic options and it took me a whole to come around to trying this. It works.

Granted, you should get yourself checked out . . . but whenever I have had heavy exercise or yard/garden work . . . If I do not take this, I have a lot of muscle ache.

Even last fall, when my motorcycle and I had a disagreement in the direction of travel -- I started on this immediately and had no post crash ache or pain [other that the road impact points] after rolling for 20-25 yards down the asphalt.

Cheers, VFX

stan
07-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Do what the fisherdude says gotta be right, the man is a absolute wealth o knowledge, just post on hunting b c and you'll get all the most accurate info from the most qualified.guns, medical, political, environmental, trucks all you need to know .