PDA

View Full Version : Cow scapula?

VFX_man
06-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Anyone know of a place in the Lower Mainland that might have these?

Looking to create a moose call [to simulate a moose scraping on a tree]. Called a few butchers and they tend to not de-bone the cow and the shoulder blade is attached [cut-up] for certain cuts of meat.

Cheers, VFX

walks with deer
06-26-2017, 12:19 PM
I have some in my yard I live in kamloops...yes they work well for raking and are light.

Codes44
06-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Have found a couple of these in the bush in recent years. Honestly, there are other props you can use to simulate a bull rubbing some brush that may be easier to find. Seen guys use little plastic shovels, anything somewhat hard and flat like wood or plastic rubbing against trees and brush should do the trick. Keep your eyes open for bones while you are out and about in the mean time! Good luck.

Hillerbillyvan
06-27-2017, 11:31 PM
Yup, use the snow shovel trick call in a bull then you'll have your scapula lol
If your heading down the valley at all try Gords game cutting in chilliwack, I got some there after forgetting to keep from my moose

boxhitch
06-28-2017, 06:44 AM
Bone does make a more realistic sound, but its not hard to fool a bull when he is using his stupid brain.

I have used a piece of plywood about 1/4" x 10" x 20", rectangular, no special carving or 'tines', and it makes a good lunch tray too.

A beef cow scapula has a wicked rib on it that makes a poor handle, but it can be carved off. They have a better blade thickness than a moose scapula too, the leading edge will last longer.

VFX_man
06-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Cool, thanks everyone! -VFX

Big Mac
06-29-2017, 08:55 AM
I made my own and it works awesome and l also use it for Elk also remember it is a sound they hear all the time and another thing to think about is the scapula get very brittle l know first hand and you do not want it to break when your working big barny up

ekul246
01-12-2023, 05:02 PM
I’m cleaning up a couple scapulas. Was thinking of soaking them in a bit of vinegar and water to get off the last bits of stink off of them.
what do you guys do to purge the stink?

bcsteve
01-12-2023, 05:11 PM
I gave two moose scapula last fall after posting them on here. I've seen guys with either an empty quart of oil or a plastic mickey with the bottom cut out mounted on a stick. I just use my fiberglass call to scrape as well. They seem to like it.

Edit: Actually found a video about it. https://youtu.be/isq075SmYSo

Arctic Lake
01-12-2023, 06:59 PM
Find a butcher/ processor that bones out cows . When I say cows I’m talking about Holsteins that are passed their prime milking days and are sent to auction and picked up by processors to bone out for ground beef ! I would think any of the processors in the valley . Johnston Packers for one . Lots of dairy cattle in the valley .
Arctic Lake
Anyone know of a place in the Lower Mainland that might have these?

Looking to create a moose call [to simulate a moose scraping on a tree]. Called a few butchers and they tend to not de-bone the cow and the shoulder blade is attached [cut-up] for certain cuts of meat.

Cheers, VFX

Bigdoggdon
01-12-2023, 08:14 PM
I use a deer scapula, I drill holes through it to give it a more hollow sound and keeps it nice and light

Opinionated Ol Phart
01-12-2023, 09:17 PM
The closest I ever called a bull I got him to about 40 ft by stomping and scuffling my feet in a small patch of buckbrush. Shot behind the ear and he dropped instantly. Took longer to get my heart rate down to normal than I took to get him to come up toward me !

MOOSE MILK
01-13-2023, 12:48 AM
Cut off the bottom of a plastic mickey whisky bottle, whittle a stick about 14" long to fit in snugly in the neck, use the stick as a handle, and scrape trees etc. with the cut-off portion, works very well.
MM

ekul246
01-13-2023, 12:37 PM
I’m cleaning up a couple scapulas. Was thinking of soaking them in a bit of vinegar and water to get off the last bits of stink off of them.
what do you guys do to purge the stink?
Does anybody soak them in vinegar and water to get the stank out?
What about tea tree oil and water?