PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 for grizzly

Timber Wolf
06-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Have a grizzly draw going to be packing my tikka 30-06 will this be enough?

06-22-2017, 09:50 AM

My hunting partner shot his grizzly last year with a 30-06 shooting 180 grain Barnes TTSX. It worked perfectly.

Timber Wolf
06-22-2017, 09:52 AM
That's the bullet I fire and was planning on 180 grain thanks for the info

Ltbullken
06-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Worked for me using a 168 gr TSX with a MV of 2925fps (24" barrel). That's my story below.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?137106-6-Seasons-of-Griz-Hunt-Success!!&highlight=ltbullken+griz

IslandWanderer
06-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Right tool for the job = .338.

Chopper
06-22-2017, 10:31 AM
30-06 with a 180 barnes = Death

Chopper
06-22-2017, 10:33 AM
If your running a 30-06 with a 180 timber wolf, It has to be quality ... partition, accubond,tsx. If you run some kind of soft point, at close range a G bear could soak it up and eat you. Just saying

tyyota
06-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!

Wild one
06-22-2017, 11:31 AM
The Grizzlies I have seen shot with a 30 06 seemed to die just like being shot with a big mag

tomahawk
06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
30-06 with a well constructed 168 to 180 placed properly in the animal is as deadly as any.

180grainer
06-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Bear unaware of your presence when you pull the trigger. Plenty of gun. Grizzly wounded and now you have to go into an alder thicket to put him down....I can think of a better rifle.

wideopenthrottle
06-22-2017, 02:16 PM
^^^^^that is well put 180 grainer.....

about 4 or 5 years ago I was moose hunting up north.....
we were a group of 5 but split up and were working a new area...this was day 3 of the trip...

I was on a long exploratory walk near the end of the day and as it was getting dark I heard a cow that was wailing non stop and splashing around in a swamp just past the end of a cut block I was about 2km from the road I started on but traversed through some timber and found another network of cut blocks that were accessible from a different road..

as I slowly moved across this newly discovered cut block towards the cow, I was letting off really quiet bull grunts and got a grunt reply from a different side of the cut block...unfortunately dark was coming fast, but I kept trying to pull the bull out of the fringe timber .....instead he stayed in the timber as he moved towards the extremely loud cow.... he definitely wanted to go to the cow instead of showing himself to me and light was too low to shoot....it was way after dark before I made my way out to the road to meet 2 others and told them about the wailing cow and the grunting bull near by....

later back at camp, I convinced the whole gang that we needed to go back to the spot I had heard a wailing cow...so the next morning we made our way to the skid trail that I had crossed a short distance through the timber from the block I was in the night before....

As we left the truck, we split into two groups, with 3 of us heading up to my cut block and the other two going a different direction....as they had further to go we waited 15 minutes for them to get into the thick before we started up the skid trail....as we were getting loaded up one of the guys says to me "hey, you have a 30-06 right?"....I said yep...."I love my m70 stainless classic"...he said "I found this bullet in my truck console you might as well have it cuz I don't have an 06"...I asked what size it was but he didn't know the weight.....he pulled it out and said "look it has a silver tip (soft lead with flattened tip IIRC), it is a silver bullet...it will be a lucky bullet or magic bullet" he said and we all laughed...I said "ok if it's lucky, lets give it a go"....I loaded it last into the mag so it would be first out the tube.....

After we got into the bush about 200 yards I heard a faint grunt and said "shhh and stop" also hand signaling for the guys behind to take a shooting position....at about 50 yards a nice bull pops out onto the trail and I aim boiler room and shoot....it does not even flinch so a second one goes into the hump/spine area (at the same time one of the others I am with lets a shot out of his 325 wsm go -his was low hump area as well)....the moose still stood there so I put one more into his head this time and he dropped.....when we gutted him out we found where all the bullets hit and what damage they did.....shockingly, the magic bullet had struck a big rib close to where the heart is but lower.....the rib was broken cleanly and all the lead fragments deflected down to the rib cage....none of the fragments were into anything that would be fatal....my second shot and buddies first shot were within 3 inches of each other just below the spine on the hump..i was amazed at how much more meat damage (blood/bruising) on the far rib cage from his bullet than my second shot (180 grain Winchester ammo)......

I would have never believed anyone telling me a 30-06 could bounce off a moose but it basically almost did.....maybe the powder was compromised or something as well as the soft point but it was a boiler room shot that would not have been fatal....

I am sure there are some that wont believe me but I know it is the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps...yes!...if they are still standing, i am still shooting

srupp
06-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Hmm imo the 30..06 is sufficient. .if used with premium ammo.mmy choice TSX..while fine bullets noselar" partition are not what you want to use for grizzly..they are designed to lose 40 % on in pact. .not what you want when trying to break the front shoulder down and anchor the bear on the spot he was shot.
I specifically use a Sako, in .338 win mag with TSX .225 grain..all give me the best chance in the outcome of a grizzly encounter
The Sako is smooth, reliable accurate.
The .338 win mag has plenty of killing power at reasonable ranges
The.225 grain is large enough to make a large hole and allows plenty of powder in the case when reloading..
TSX is 100% reliable, dependable always retaining maximum mass..95%.ideal for blowing through even the largest grizzly shoulder between 70..150 yards..the ideal shooting distances..yet will stop a bear much closer trying to get at you.

Using a reliable rifle you are familiar with and premium ammo..it is a good choice..as is 7mm remember mag,300 win mag.

Congrads on your grizzly tag..good luck straight shooting.
I'm available if you want to chat grizzly hunting..send pm with ph #
Cheers
Srupp

BgBlkDg
06-22-2017, 03:57 PM
This young fella above is, IMO, the premier Grizzly expert on HBC and I very seldom disagree with any of his hunting opinions, but, must do so now.

NO offence, bud, nobody here has more genuine respect for you and your opinions than I do and all I will say is as follows.

I do not, by choice, shoot Grizzlies or Black Bears. I DO NOT oppose hunting them, in fact, strongly support it and consider it necessary for REAL environmental management.

However, of the Grizzlies, I have been at the kills of since the mid-1960s, I have seen MORE clean kills with Nosler Pt. bullets than all others combined and the last was a good boar in the Gato Creek drainage, with a 180NP from a .300WM. This combo also took a recent record bear on the mid-coast and has whacked many as well as in the .30-06.

I prefer a .338WM, but, for anyone honest enough to admit that the recoil MAY be an issue, the .30-06 is next in functional capability and more so than any 7maggie or whatever. I had a Ruger MKI 7RM in my mitts when the most gorgeous bear I have ever seen since my first in April, 1956, walked out about 40 feet from us in the Whiteswan and was NOT scared.

My then .338 was home in Nelson, feeding issues and I was WANTING it bad! I have BTDT with a .30-06 as a BCFS L/Oman some 50 years ago and like a nice '06 with 200NPs over RE-22 to about 2650. I am too damned old, gimpy and a bit more gut than I should have, so, I prefer to use what is easiest for me under field conditions.

I am, though, now experimenting with the 225TTSX in my Dakota .338 and am VERY happy to have your recommendation on this as I value your advice most highly.

IslandWanderer
06-22-2017, 04:10 PM
Bear unaware of your presence when you pull the trigger. Plenty of gun. Grizzly wounded and now you have to go into an alder thicket to put him down....I can think of a better rifle.

^^^ this comment sums it up.

This whole thread reminds me of guys who talk about why their half tonne can carry a camper when it's clearly overweight. Get the best tool for the job. Just like I hope we all do at work, right?

KimberKid
06-22-2017, 05:06 PM
Anyone taken a grizz with a .308? Wouldn't be my preferred rifle but I am curious! Don't currently have a bigger rifle, but don't plan on grizzly hunting for another couple years.

srupp
06-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Good points..yes NPwill work for moose elk bb" and NP have taken plenty of grizzlies..my personal choice..opinion is take out their front shoulder drive those bone fragments through the lungs..
Nosler" specifically designs their bullets to fragment on impact..TSX is designed to completely hold together.
That you have survived many encounters with G bears is a strong statement to the effectiveness of your shooting, rifle, ammo selection.
I specifically recomend Tsx over Nosler in this specific hunting situation, for new hunters going after their first gbear.
I respect your experience in so many aspects of hunting, gear, rifles..you talk with authority based on experience.
Cheers
Steven

boxhitch
06-22-2017, 05:24 PM
Keep in mind the modern grizzlies really are not the super monsters that some would have you believe. They are the same skin and bone and guts they have always been, so the same old cartridges and bullets work now that worked 50 years ago.
For large tasks use a heavy-for-caliber round and consider the appropriate limits.

And don't rely on a single shot from any rifle to do the job cleanly. It may but best sop is to group a nice pattern of at least 3 holes given the chance

gmachine19
06-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Good points..yes NPwill work for moose elk bb" and NP have taken plenty of grizzlies..my personal choice..opinion is take out their front shoulder drive those bone fragments through the lungs..
Nosler" specifically designs their bullets to fragment on impact..TSX is designed to completely hold together.
That you have survived many encounters with G bears is a strong statement to the effectiveness of your shooting, rifle, ammo selection.
I specifically recomend Tsx over Nosler in this specific hunting situation, for new hunters going after their first gbear.
I respect your experience in so many aspects of hunting, gear, rifles..you talk with authority based on experience.
Cheers
Steven

Luckily my sako kodiak 338 shoots both at less than 1 moa. All i had to do was switch out my talley quick detach to EAW swivel mounts. Damn thing was expensive!

ChronoShooter
06-22-2017, 05:37 PM
On a lark I bought a 375 Ruger. Only thing is the boys found out about it, and now I have to actually use the thing or I'll never live it down.

todbartell
06-22-2017, 05:38 PM
it's sufficient, use a controlled expansion 165+gr bullets. I packed a 30-06 as a backup grizzly rifle on one of my hunts, loaded with 200gr Barnes TSX

358mag
06-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship

IslandWanderer
06-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Are people saying the 30-06 is ineffective? I don't think they are saying that. Is there a better tool for the job? Of course there is. Otherwise, why would larger calibers even exist?

srupp
06-22-2017, 10:16 PM
I would gladly loan my Sako out to a newbie grizzly hunter who won the coveted tag.
However i believe that familiarity with your weapon more than makes up to a little more fps, hitting power etc.
I have some suggestions on rookie gbear hunters tactics etc if the hunter wants some ideas..
However i agree with others on this site the 30..06 will do the job use premium ammo at reasonable ranges on a bear that is unaware your in his postal code.

I have seen hunters who are shooting way more rifle than they are comfortable with..however google Justin Otts you tube video of him harvesting a monster coastal grizzly..a rodeo for sure..
What is most interesting is one of Justin and my conversations where he had choices of calibers of weapons and then choices of size of ammo for the weapon of choice.i believe Justin bear was over 9 feet...and before i even seen the bear I asked Justin if my recomendation" on the bigger premium ammo..165 GR. Versus my recomendation of closer to 200 grains was valid..and ft er this first encounter of harvesting a huge grizzly he agreed whole heartidly .
It all changes when it's you and Mr. BEAR. In the woods..theoretical meets reality..and your very survival depends on choices you have already made..you really want a rifle when the bear brings knives to the fight..YOU started..levels the field somewhat.
Yes 30..30, s have harvested bears..but there are better choices of calibers..optics..ammo...choose wisely..
Cheers
Srupp

Pinewood
06-22-2017, 11:36 PM
Can you provide a link to that youtube video please Srupp? I can't find it searching Google. Cheers.

scotty30-06
06-23-2017, 03:47 AM
30-06 180 grain top notch ammo...wiiiithhh a 45-70 as a back up....if nothing else it's an excuse to the wife why you need a new gun hahah

E.B.
06-23-2017, 06:46 AM
30-06 has been used to kill moose for 100 years. Grizzly are not as big as a moose. You do the math lol.

IslandWanderer
06-23-2017, 09:43 AM
30-06 has been used to kill moose for 100 years. Grizzly are not as big as a moose. You do the math lol.

Lol, if we followed this logic we'd never search for tools that's are better suited for the job. Horse and buggy worked for a 100 years, who needs cars? Internal combustion engine worked for a hundred years, why use electric cars?

sawmill
06-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Lol, if we followed this logic we'd never search for tools that's are better suited for the job. Horse and buggy worked for a 100 years, who needs cars? Internal combustion engine worked for a hundred years, why use electric cars?
Hunt much? Bigger ain`t better sometimes, as had been said shoot what you feel perfect with. I`v taken 2 grizz and 28 blacks with a .270. It ain`t what you shoot so much as HOW you shoot. On anything never take the shot unless you are dead steady and well within range and pick your spot. No friggen head shots. Get sweet with your rifle and you will be fine. I`d shoot one tomorrow with my .06 (.270 got burned in a house fire) .06 in the right hands will take anything in North America. Big guns can make you flinch. I hate being beat up by a rifle. Screws your accuracy.

IslandWanderer
06-23-2017, 09:59 AM
I've never been bothered by recoil and the only two rifles I use are a .338 (with muzzle brake) and a 45-70. I guess I should be more considerate of the smaller-framed guys on this site.

Wild one
06-23-2017, 12:33 PM
It all comes down to one thing putting a hole in the vitals. Pick the weapon that you trust your ability with first not what has the most punch. Do you need a big mag no you can get the job done with less. Is the extra power nice if things go side ways yes

smaller caliber rifles, bows, and black powder have taken grizz without issue. They can get the job done just fine

Big mag hits harder but you still need to put the shot in the right spot

For myself and many others our accuracy with the big mags is not the same. We have all seen the super hero at the range with the big mag who can't keep a good group. Also seen guys who keep tight groups

Guy has to choose what fits him best big mag or lighter caliber depends on the shooter

Lots of choices out there that will work fine for grizz been in on 30 06 kills and know of those who used a 270(getting light here). Heard of things going sideways with both lighter caliber and big mags neither caliber failed the shooter did

srupp
06-23-2017, 12:54 PM

Not a really fair comparison..apples to oranges.

Grizzlies will kill you..given a reasonable opportunity..like shooting it and not getting the bear dropped..letting it get adrenaline pumping.
It happens when moose get startled..never had one come after me..yet...
Steven

srupp
06-23-2017, 01:00 PM
The Justin Ott videos are on you tube monster grizzly bear ..there are 2 or 3 separate segments.

Steven

Linksman313
06-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Are people saying the 30-06 is ineffective? I don't think they are saying that. Is there a better tool for the job? Of course there is. Otherwise, why would larger calibers even exist?

This is>>>>>
Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!

bOING bOING bOING :) Happy Friday our Island Friend! I couldn't help it

Ltbullken
06-23-2017, 04:18 PM

Griz are TOUGH. Put 3 x 168gr TSX @ 2925fps into my griz at 120 paces and none of them exited. He was done for sure on the first shot, not going anywhere but not dead.

https://image.ibb.co/bNAeqv/tsx2.jpg

LBM
06-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Griz are TOUGH. Put 3 x 168gr TSX @ 2925fps into my griz at 120 paces and none of them exited. He was done for sure on the first shot, not going anywhere but not dead.

https://image.ibb.co/bNAeqv/tsx2.jpg

Interesting how if they were all shot at the same distance how they all mushroomed differently.

LBM
06-23-2017, 06:22 PM
I would gladly loan my Sako out to a newbie grizzly hunter who won the coveted tag.
However i believe that familiarity with your weapon more than makes up to a little more fps, hitting power etc.
I have some suggestions on rookie gbear hunters tactics etc if the hunter wants some ideas..
However i agree with others on this site the 30..06 will do the job use premium ammo at reasonable ranges on a bear that is unaware your in his postal code.

I have seen hunters who are shooting way more rifle than they are comfortable with..however google Justin Otts you tube video of him harvesting a monster coastal grizzly..a rodeo for sure..
What is most interesting is one of Justin and my conversations where he had choices of calibers of weapons and then choices of size of ammo for the weapon of choice.i believe Justin bear was over 9 feet...and before i even seen the bear I asked Justin if my recomendation" on the bigger premium ammo..165 GR. Versus my recomendation of closer to 200 grains was valid..and ft er this first encounter of harvesting a huge grizzly he agreed whole heartidly .
It all changes when it's you and Mr. BEAR. In the woods..theoretical meets reality..and your very survival depends on choices you have already made..you really want a rifle when the bear brings knives to the fight..YOU started..levels the field somewhat.
Yes 30..30, s have harvested bears..but there are better choices of calibers..optics..ammo...choose wisely..
Cheers
Srupp

Watched the video, not sure what you mean by a rodeo,, shoots bear it goes behind a hill walks up shoots it again then
a couple more times well its laying there.

srupp
06-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Hmmm might be angle of entry..what it hit..hide..lungs..muscle meat,....bones....
Great bullet performance..
Steven

b.c hunter 88
06-23-2017, 08:42 PM
Barnes ttsx only way to go. shot lots of bears and and using the Barnes now i am a firm believer. grizzly are not something to be messed with. strongly advice shooting once a week till ur hunting trip........ shot placement is everything its the difference between a kill and a attack. i have shot bears with 308 3006 300s and now i have a 338 win mag. i have had grizzly draws i got one this year and killing lots of black bears as well as being on hunts i have seen a few charge after being hit perfectly they move fast we had one took 8 shots to put it down...... grizzly could be allot worse make your first shot count i prefer 338 in the fact of a charging bear how ever the 3006 will work saying shot placement is good. i have had to go in after wound bears a few times dont put yourself in this situation most times i have been throw this is new hunter get trigger happy take your time make it count.
best of luck to you pm me if you need info ill help out my best.

sawmill
06-24-2017, 09:29 AM
I've never been bothered by recoil and the only two rifles I use are a .338 (with muzzle brake) and a 45-70. I guess I should be more considerate of the smaller-framed guys on this site.
Yeah, I`m 5 foot 11 and weigh 165 pounds.Not much extra meat on my bones. Big guns beat the snot out of me. Traded a 7 mm Sako for a 243 Browning lever and love it. Oddly enough I bought my Bruno .06 from a big BIG native friend ,brand new, he said it kicked too much. This guys nickname was Sumo, like a wrestler. I love that rifle too, it`s my go to gun for hunting when the season is getting short.

06-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Like most things bigger is better and this situation is no different but that statement comes with a caveat.....only go as big as you can shoot accurately! A .338 would work great but if you flinch heavily and therefore can't shoot it accurately this can easily result in chasing a wounded bear through thick bush where a well placed shot from a 30-06 can easily result in a dead bear. Know the capabilities of you, your caliber and the bullet of choice and keep the shot distances within that affective range and you will have a dead bear! Good Luck!

Wild one
06-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Like most things bigger is better and this situation is no different but that statement comes with a caveat.....only go as big as you can shoot accurately! A .338 would work great but if you flinch heavily and therefore can't shoot it accurately this can easily result in chasing a wounded bear through thick bush where a well placed shot from a 30-06 can easily result in a dead bear. Know the capabilities of you, your caliber and the bullet of choice and keep the shot distances within that affective range and you will have a dead bear! Good Luck!

Could not agree with more ^^^

Ltbullken
06-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Interesting how if they were all shot at the same distance how they all mushroomed differently.

Bullet on left, the first shot, squared both shoulders (retained 100%! weight). The other ones hit only one bone.

rimfire
06-26-2017, 09:22 AM
+1 for Shot placement and properly constructed bullets. Those features kill more animals every year than big calibers. If you can shoot that 30-06 accurately, it is more deadly than the guy who shoots a big bore magnum poorly.