PDA

View Full Version : wild life that dosnt belong

scotty30-06
06-22-2017, 02:25 AM
Hey everyone after reading the moose in abby thread got me thinking.....where else have people seen wildlife where it dosnt belong....i remember seeing a ring necked pheasant in my back yard in North delta....first and only time I have ever seen that....and yes I know delta has pheasants....just not normally in North delta...so anyone else have sightings or experience with this?

pnbrock
06-22-2017, 07:20 AM
used to have grouse stealing cherries off our tree when i was a kid .old 64 across from watershed.

northof49
06-22-2017, 10:40 PM
Once saw a billy in the middle of a pine plateau with no visible mountains. Was the colour of mud and looked like had been to hell and back. Searching for new digs I guess. Sure had me do a double take.

MichelD
06-22-2017, 10:47 PM
I had a beaver in my back yard pond once. I live in East Vancouver near Victoria Drive and Hastings Street.

No joke, this was a web-footed, bucktoothed flat tailed beaver.

Ohwildwon
06-22-2017, 10:53 PM
There was a marmot living on the beach in White Rock a few years back, east of the pier....

Made the local rag, figured it had hitched a train ride...

Disappeared after a couple months...

Hillerbillyvan
06-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Ive actually come across a few, hard to make your buddys even believe you sometimes
Couple that stand out in my memory rite now would be the turkey I saw in backside east harrison
And the lonely cow elk hanging out with a large group of muley in a buddys field sunshine valley-merritt
I was in a stand trying to fill a doe tag, didnt even occur to me as possible at first so when she entered the field way off in the distance all i thought was WOW how can a deer that friggin big have no antlers!

ACE
06-22-2017, 11:31 PM
Saw a large gaunt wolf going through some bags of garbage at the big pull-out just south of Lytton .... early morning.

scotty30-06
06-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Maybe wasn't garbage in those bags lol

Steelpulse
06-23-2017, 12:22 AM
Not to wild but pheastant running along the shore in boundary bay while duck hunting. Obviously just a released bird

scotty30-06
06-23-2017, 01:23 AM
^^^^why do you say that....my friend lives in Ladner and sees them a fair bit

Fella
06-23-2017, 06:18 AM
Theres a large covey of Quail that live at the top of the mountain that I live on. Threw me for a loop when we first moved here because I thought they were only in the Okanagan

caddisguy
06-23-2017, 06:29 AM
Good thread! Lol

Whitetails on trailcam in Chilliwack/Hope area

Wolf on Langley bypass near 56th (going after goslings and goose eggs)

2 wolverines ... live one eating dead one, also Langley bypass near 56th

Not sure if this one counts but we were driving down an FSR about 25kms from any residential area and no campers... it was around 1am and we spotted a house cat on the road. There had been a missing cat sign posted at the nearest gas station a couple weeks prior... not sure if it was the same cat (it didn't want anything to do with us) but was surprised to see a house cat in an area with bobcats, coyotes, cougars, coons, etc

wideopenthrottle
06-23-2017, 06:58 AM
I used to see deer and pheasants on Annacis Island about 10 years ago before it was all built up

Wild one
06-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Seen species in places most don't think they belong so many times now I think little of it. Watched populations grow in areas they were never seen in the past. Animals expand their range and travel where they please they don't listen to humans

Things are ever changing and lots of animals go unnoticed when they are in small numbers or a secretive species

wideopenthrottle
06-23-2017, 08:39 AM
I was reading recently about a bird that has been wildly successful in expanding their range....https://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2017/04/05/these-spangly-hummingbirds-are-moving-north-to-alaska/#1dab085c5f9e

lovemywinchester
06-23-2017, 10:16 AM
A few interesting sightings here in Kamloops. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising considering we are surrounded by bush. I live on the Thompson and I had a badger in my backyard a few years ago when the river was high. My neighbor had a photo on his phone. It ran across the street and laid in a gravel drive for a while. Never heard anymore about it. Another cool one is a lone Billy that shows up at Paul lake on the big bluff on the north side. Not sure where he came from but he was there for a year or two. Haven't heard if he is back this summer.

VFX_man
06-23-2017, 10:54 AM
In Oakland, California . . . Mountain Lion killed by a car 200 meters from my old house. Knew something was up, since for the week prior I had a wild Turkey staying on my roof. Guess the lion pushed the flock down into the neighbourhood. Berkeley California had a Mountain Lion that the police had to shoot as well.

Also a Red Fox in San Francisco's Telegraph hill/Fishermans Wharf. Actually had deer cross the Golden Gate Bridge in traffic.

Generally speaking, I was never shocked. California is a desert most of the year and the watered landscaping attracts prey . . . where there is prey, predators follow!

People claimed we [man] were encroaching into "their" territory, but man was artificially supplying a resource through irrigation that allowed them to expand their range and population since there was more food. Never straight forward black/white reasons. California spend thousands of dollars trying to determine why deer were leaving the protected lands along the San Francisco Peninsula and crossing the highway [and getting killed]. When they announced the study, I told my wife, "Mountain Lions". 2 years later guess what the expensive study revealed? Mountain Lions were there, so the deer were fleeing. Gheez

Cheers, VFX

Blair
06-23-2017, 12:51 PM
I saw a three point Blacktail in Glen Park at East 23rd and Windsor (near Fraser Street), Vancouver one day when I was getting ready to go to work. That really surprised me.

scotty30-06
06-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Lol I wouldn't have gone to work....would have hung out with that all day hahah....stupid blacktail addiction lol

IronNoggin
06-23-2017, 02:03 PM
In Oakland, California . . . Mountain Lion killed by a car 200 meters from my old house. ... Berkeley California had a Mountain Lion that the police had to shoot as well.

Interesting just where you'll find the big kitties - once you afford them Blanket Protection that is (as California chose to do).
Kind of like our Sea Lion problem out west here...

Cheers,
Nog

tuner
06-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Wild turkeys in west pavilion FSR near Lilloett.

VFX_man
06-23-2017, 03:53 PM
I saw a three point Blacktail in Glen Park at East 23rd and Windsor (near Fraser Street), Vancouver one day when I was getting ready to go to work. That really surprised me.

My hood!!! Guess I know where to set up my tree stand for archery season.:lol::D

northof49
06-23-2017, 06:26 PM
1992..... couger in underground parkade of Empress Hotel downtown Victoria

HarryToolips
06-23-2017, 08:51 PM
A 300 and something pound woman came out of our local lingerie store...

northof49
06-23-2017, 11:19 PM

HT....you scoping out the lingerie traffic again?

ACB
06-23-2017, 11:33 PM
I'v got a couple cougars living just down the street, mostly just come out at night. Oh ya, the dog chased a bear out of the yard this evening. Must know the seasons over.

Hankenhunter
06-23-2017, 11:52 PM
Monster rack fallow deer. North side of Nicola Lake about 10 years ago. Never saw it again.

scotty30-06
06-24-2017, 01:33 AM
My friends dad saw 4 wild boar from his jet boat near the far tip of Harrison lake...where in a tiny cove with gravel beach they saw the boat and gone....but that was about 12 years ago now.....cool to heat about the grouse by the delta watershed....i grew up in sunshine Hills and our nabours saw a cougar in the bog late 90's even had a picture of back leg and tail I remember seeing.

Jelvis
06-24-2017, 08:21 AM
The tiny delicate sparrow, so small. so tender, so wild but is on the bottom of the pecking order.
Jelly -- His eye is on the sparrow --

Wild one
06-24-2017, 08:43 AM

Now that is scary lol

ajr5406
06-24-2017, 09:11 AM
2015: a cougar in the ravine behind our house in cloverdale. CO's closed the bridge over the ravine for a week because of the cat.

blackhawk19
06-24-2017, 09:13 AM
vultures staying year round and elk in sooke

northof49
06-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Monster rack fallow deer. North side of Nicola Lake about 10 years ago. Never saw it again.

Thats odd for sure.....must have been farm escapee

Stone Sheep Steve
06-25-2017, 06:23 PM

There's a farm not far downstream.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Never saw it myself.....but a friend's friend caught a badger in the Mission area of Kelowna. CO didn't believe him until he showed up on the property and witnessed it for himself.

SSS

walks with deer
06-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Wildlife belongs where it shows..

I saw a nanny mountain goat 3 km South of down town merrit

caddisguy
06-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Wildlife belongs where it shows..

I saw a nanny mountain goat 3 km South of down town merrit

Except schedule C species :D

And snakeheads

albravo2
06-26-2017, 01:00 PM
A cow moose with two calves up near the Elaho River, about 40 minutes from Squamish.

Blair
06-26-2017, 01:58 PM
My hood!!! Guess I know where to set up my tree stand for archery season.:lol::D
I think you might get old waiting for it to happen again! Better bring a lunch.

Blair
06-26-2017, 02:01 PM
A cow moose with two calves up near the Elaho River, about 40 minutes from Squamish.
I have seen lots of moose tracks up there. Right on the road.

ducktoller
06-26-2017, 07:32 PM

Yelp all up the west side of the sea to sky highway!

Laughed as I've been told it myth they are in whistler area a few times. Funny that I photographed a cow in soo river

Ohwildwon
06-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Yelp all up the west side of the sea to sky highway!

Laughed as I've been told it myth they are in whistler area a few times. Funny that I photographed a cow in soo river

Soo River drainage is excellent habitat for moose!

The bog north of Function Juntion, in which they relocated a swamp donkey from a few years back, not so much...

Livewire322
06-27-2017, 10:34 AM

I had one jump out of the trees 10 feet from my truck as I was driving down the Elaho mainline a few years ago.
I managed to get a few blurry photos of it before it got off the road.

WWBC
06-27-2017, 12:35 PM
There was a Black Vulture in Kincolith BC a few years back. Normally they live in central and South America. The locals had been feeding it fresh salmon and ornithologists were flying up to take pictures. It must have took an Alaskan cruse from down south.

MichelD
06-27-2017, 01:48 PM

I have found many moose droppings there.

Codes44
06-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Was renovating a house near downtown Kelowna in late September and got to the job site (after hunting all morning of course) there was a giant old 5x5 muley buck laying in the backyard. Easily the biggest buck I've ever seen.

wos
06-27-2017, 08:24 PM
On saterday evening I saw a young cow moose in the middle of the hwy at Skagit crossing #2 in manning park. Just a little unexpected.