PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Draws

IronNoggin
06-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Due in by midnight tomorrow Folks! :wink:

Just thought I'd give a head's up for anyone interested...

Cheers,
Nog

sheephunterab
06-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Got mine in today! The deadline really seemed to sneak up this year!

sako79
06-21-2017, 06:02 PM
I was going to but I got drawn for Saskatchewan this year

Walking Buffalo
06-22-2017, 07:32 AM
I was going to but I got drawn for Saskatchewan this year

With Alberta being on a priority system with the option to apply only for the priority point,

You really should apply every year if you intend to hunt some time the future.

Deadline is 10:59pm PST tonight.

longrifle
06-22-2017, 07:41 AM
We got ours submitted over the weekend...Hoping to be chasing big mulw bucks come this November! :-P

'rifle

IronNoggin
06-22-2017, 12:58 PM
With Alberta being on a priority system with the option to apply only for the priority point,

You really should apply every year if you intend to hunt some time the future.

VERY Sound Advise!! In order to keep those points accumulating so you eventually will draw the hunt you desire, it is indeed important to apply for the points every single year!

Yesterday was a bit of a whirlwind of activity in this regard!
Coordinating all the various possible draws between three Alberta Hosts, with a couple of BC Hunters (with varying levels of priority), getting a new BC hunter online from the WIN card forward, and cutting another BC hunter right out of the loop (don't ask :() took a lot more hours than anyone would have guessed. Phone bill is going to be a tad hefty methinks, but Hey, they are IN THERE!! :twisted:

Best of Luck to all applying over there!!

Cheers,
Nog

butcher
06-22-2017, 01:40 PM
999 across the board this year.

Springer
06-23-2017, 04:29 AM
Draw Shmaa...Butcher we will kill some Deer with our pointy sticks without a draw.
Next year I plan on pulling my Muley tag ..

sheephunterab
06-23-2017, 07:07 AM
Mule deer buck and cow elk for me this year! Been nine years since I last hunted mulies!

srupp
06-23-2017, 03:00 PM
Put priority points in courtesy of my brother from a different Moyer. .so 999 this year..next year white tails and muleys..already excited for that adventure.
Srupp

Springer
06-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Better get on that Stair climber...Them badlands hills are steep and lots of em..

IronNoggin
07-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Draws are out.
Drew nada which was more or less expected.
Priority Points gained on all. :D

Best of Luck to those who had applied!

Cheers,
Nog

ramcam
07-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Zippo for Mule Deer

longrifle
07-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Mulw buck hunting I go...!!

'rifle

BCbillies
07-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Priority 9 for mule deer, elk, and pronghorn . . . looking good for 2018 and 19. :)

model88
07-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Antlered mule deer this year

Wild Images
07-13-2017, 03:14 AM
Priority 12 for Elk and Antelope for next year

Sportster
07-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Got mule deer buck draw this year. Never get LEH in BC and the area we apply for is heavily populated with mule deer. Go figure. ��

Blacktail
07-13-2017, 08:43 PM
1got mulie and whitetail doe and a third choice for elk on the suffield block
Wife got mulie buck

sheephunterab
07-15-2017, 11:20 AM
Antlered mule deer and 212 antlerless elk for me. Sadly no surprises!

Walking Buffalo
07-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Kananaskis BH ewe and that's all.

Too bad there are no ewes or trout in TJ's valley. :)

I have access to a property in 212 where the elk are in bow range from the hot tub.
Always figured that could make a good hunting video, with the right hunter.

Rackmastr
07-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Dad got a 212 cow elk tag in January and just waiting with fingers crossed for a couple antelope tags in the family come August!

IronNoggin
07-16-2017, 12:27 PM
... I have access to a property in 212 where the elk are in bow range from the hot tub.
Always figured that could make a good hunting video, with the right hunter.

LOL! If you're looking... ;-)
Make a great vid methinks!

Cheers,
Nog

Walking Buffalo
07-18-2017, 09:51 AM
LOL! If you're looking... ;-)
Make a great vid methinks!

Cheers,
Nog

I don't recall your picture being in the Woman Appreciation thread....

IronNoggin
07-18-2017, 01:49 PM
I don't recall your picture being in the Woman Appreciation thread....

http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gifExcellent response!! :lol:

Ain't at all likely to entertain any notions that way, but hey, if you need a second camera man... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

Norwestalta
07-30-2017, 08:00 AM
Dad got a 212 cow elk tag in January and just waiting with fingers crossed for a couple antelope tags in the family come August!

Antelope draws are out if you haven't checked.

Springer
08-03-2017, 03:33 PM
2 Trophy Antelope tags in our Family !!

Blacktail
08-03-2017, 03:47 PM
2 Trophy Antelope tags in our Family !!
What zone are you in

Springer
08-22-2017, 12:36 AM
102 and 118 I believe Roy. South of you a ways ...

srupp
08-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Congrads Phil..so happy Roxxy" finally got a draw..lol..
Elmer

sheephunterab
08-29-2017, 07:49 PM
Better pray for rain. Lots of ranches in 118 and 102 totally shut down to access because of fire hazard. It's bad down! Most of the antelope seem to be on agricultural fields right now. Likely due to poor grass on prairie.

fuzzybiscuit
08-30-2017, 11:36 PM
526 November cow Elk, 524 Antlered and antlerless Mulies in November and 530 late season Bull Moose. All undersubscribed draws. I 999'd everything this year except early season Bull Moose in 530. I had it last year so not much chance of getting it this year.

Add in general Antlered Whitetail and supplemental antlerless Whitetail and I should be able to find something to put in the freezer. I have 21 days off in a row from November 6th onwards so it should be a good season. Working a new 7x7 shift and it's certinally better for getting out and doing things than the 5+2 I worked the last few years.

Wish I had an early season Bull Moose in 530. Ran into this guy a week ago.

Anyone have a draw and want to go for a little boat ride?

https://s20.postimg.org/ngwgm7gkd/DSCN1332.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/bf12s27bt/)

Springer
09-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Yes TJ I have done some prayers for sure. Also going to make for competition for all the tag holders in any areas that may be open. Its Mid October for us so hopefully things turn around..Where do you stay while down there...I'm thinking maybe haul the trailer to Elkwater..manyberries is already booked up..

sheephunterab
09-04-2017, 07:26 AM
We usually stay in Foremost.

Springer
09-10-2017, 01:51 PM
OK thanks TJ.

sheephunterab
09-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Looks like four days of possible rain forecast. Sure hope it happens. Basically all of the big private ranches and some of the grazing reserves are shut right down to access.

Springer
09-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Yes lets take that rain and then some...I can imagine the Crankers you have seen down South doing the Antelope fencing project the last few years .. See you there in the area possibly..or foremost campground.

sheephunterab
09-13-2017, 07:14 PM
I'll be down week before season opens.

Springer
09-13-2017, 10:55 PM
Lucky Bugger, Just you with the tag or does V have one as well.
They had some prairie fires around Blindloss recently hey...
Looks like some rain in the forecast hey. That's crazy country to drive in if its to wet as well hey.

sheephunterab
09-14-2017, 08:03 AM
No tag....just down there working on the Onefour. Ya it looks like a bit of rain falling. When we hunted there last year they had a foot of snow week before the season and even the main 501 Highway was 4x4 in places for a day or two but it dried out fast. ZNot really much place to drive off the main roads down there. It's really a great old-fashioned foot hunt! Take your backpack. https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16715916_10155508884535400_4239641925536359512_o.j pg?oh=a0134b31b9885c9a6ade075f8d12df61&oe=5A5A4D98

Rackmastr
09-14-2017, 08:16 AM
I absolutely love that country and after 'living' in the heart of it for 2.5 years early in my career, I grew to love it even more. The prairies will always hold a special spot for me and the country down in 102 is pretty amazing.

I've watched the forecast every day for weeks now, praying we get more and more rain so some access opens up. Will remain hopeful as I love nothing more than going for long hikes and looking for antelope down there.

Kim and my Dad both have a tag in a northern zone in another 11 days, so two antelope hunts in a single year should make for some fun!

Springer
09-15-2017, 11:28 AM
The smile says it all..Is Vanessa's pack an Osprey ?
My sons are strong and full of energy, were looking forward to those long walks..I will have a pack for my shed antler obsession that i am sure i will find a few of etc.

Rackmastr
09-15-2017, 03:49 PM
The smile says it all..Is Vanessa's pack an Osprey ?
My sons are strong and full of energy, were looking forward to those long walks..I will have a pack for my shed antler obsession that i am sure i will find a few of etc.

There is a couple spots in 118 that I've hiked year after year and filled a backpack up in a few hours with sheds antlers lol. One day when we hunted it late November a buddy of mine hiked and had so many sheds that when they finally killed a buck he had to leave a pile of sheds so he had room to hike everything out.

Springer
09-15-2017, 05:56 PM
There is a couple spots in 118 that I've hiked year after year and filled a backpack up in a few hours with sheds antlers lol. One day when we hunted it late November a buddy of mine hiked and had so many sheds that when they finally killed a buck he had to leave a pile of sheds so he had room to hike everything out.

Thats to Funny Trevor, i was thinking the same thing will happen to me as well.
Where are ya'all staying during the hunt..

Rackmastr
09-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Thats to Funny Trevor, i was thinking the same thing will happen to me as well.
Where are ya'all staying during the hunt..

Either Foremost or we have a couple options on places to park a trailer, still in a bit of the planning stages.

Springer
10-21-2017, 07:24 AM
Well Rackmaster i never found any sheds...That is a sweet looking area and i sure hope to spend some time there again. Maybe this Spring i will go for a specific shed hunt . The Mule Deer numbers are definitely healthy there and i saw some decent ones. You Boys definitely did well on your hunt !! Congrats to all of you High Wind Hunters !!

sheephunterab
10-21-2017, 09:09 AM
How'd you guys make out Phil? Crazy amount of tags given out this year. Double last year.

Walking Buffalo
10-24-2017, 08:23 AM
How'd you guys make out Phil? Crazy amount of tags given out this year. Double last year.

Crazy?

How about closer but still not what they should be issuing?

Hope you had a good hunt Springer.

sheephunterab
10-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Ya a crazy amount of tags for a one week season. Guys were tripping all over each other. They need to look at ways to improve the experience of this hunt. Considering it's getting close to a once in a lifetime tag

Walking Buffalo
10-24-2017, 07:02 PM
Ya a crazy amount of tags for a one week season. Guys were tripping all over each other. They need to look at ways to improve the experience of this hunt. Considering it's getting close to a once in a lifetime tag

Last time I drew there was in a 600 tag season....

"They" need a fire lit under their chair. I have a match. Need some help in gathering the tinder....

sheephunterab
10-25-2017, 10:45 AM
That's way too many for some zones. There were around 140 last year...that seemed about perfect...lots of room for everyone and no cranky landowners.

Springer
10-31-2017, 12:44 AM
Ya it was pretty darn Busy out there TJ and the race to get ahead of everyone was on bright and early. Like when I get up to start coffee and trucks are full of guys that already had theirs and ate breakfast...
The wind was a Pain in the Butt to deal with to.
My boys had very limited time because of work schedules. they arrived Sunday night in the dark and I had us in our spot Monday Morning in the dark.
As the sun came up we just sat in the truck on the bald ass prairie and waited for the Pronghorn to come out of the Coulees. they started arriving and as we sat outside the truck for a wind block we waited for a decent Buck.. Younger not as experienced shooter son shot twice and missed and oldest son Layed out that same Goat when he stopped running.

Younger son continued to miss Goats the next day and we continued to laugh at him and his colourful language.
Oldest son went home with his Goat Tuesday morning and we continued looking , and missing lol it was 2:00 in the afternoon Tuesday when he finally connected on his Young Buck in that Awful high wind.
We tagged him and took him to an Old farmstead we found 5 minutes away and got out of the wind. Hung the Goat up and skinned and quartered him.. he actually fit in the Trailer fridge and the head in the freezer with some extra Duct tape help to keep the door mostly closed.

I saw some really good ones in and out of our zone during the hunt and piles of Mule deer as well.

I seasoned 2 backstraps up that were cut into thick steaks and wrapped with bacon. 3 days later in Archery Camp in Eastern Alberta we ate those unbelievably delicious steaks ....Myself and 2 BC hunters I hosted. Man I love eating Antelope , my favourite Big Game meat from Alberta.

It was fun keeping up with Rackmaster through texts...I actually knew lots of guys down there but was anti social I guess and we hung out in the trailer in the evenings.

Rackmastr
10-31-2017, 01:29 AM
Was great meeting you Springer and keeping in touch with you through the week. We ran into several people we knew over the course of the couple days and it was good to catch up with some, tell some stories, and keep in touch about what guys were seeing. It was great to get back into that country a bit and enjoyed almost the entire hunt though till Friday.

We had found a really cool buck we nicknamed 'Victor' on the Sunday morning and tried to re-locate him on Sun evening to no avail, but we had an idea of where he was at. Monday morning found us pounding some of that country and really picking it apart to find him, as my buddy Cody was 'up'. After a couple stalks on smaller herds and average bucks, we headed back to the truck to re-group. We were 500 yards from the truck when a herd went past us, and low-and-behold Victor was in the group. We grabbed some gear, swapped out a jacket and tried to make a play, but the herd was spooky and unsettled. At about 1 in the afternoon, we decided it was time to move on and see some new country. We only had 2 trucks in the general area we were in for opening morning but everyone was on different herds so it worked out pretty well.

I ended up shooting my buck at about 2PM on Opening day after driving a couple new roads we hadn't driven. Earlier we decided that we would 'alternate' who was the shooter for every decent buck we saw. We found my buck with a small herd right off a small dirt trail/road and went and gained permission. I loved the mass the buck had (pretty much a sucker for good mass on any game) and permission was gained in about 10 minutes. We made a quick stalk and I made an 80 yard frontal shot to end my 12 year tag. Wasn't planning on shooting one opening day but that's how it worked out! We had another truck drive up and chat with us, he said that they had passed the buck up 2 times earlier that day and had came back a 3rd time (my guess was to shoot him this time). Well, we had him hanging on the rack by then and I think he was a bit disappointed that he had passed on him 2 times.

The next day we hunted some of the strongest winds I have ever experienced, even living in Southern Alberta and hunting a lot of time around Magrath/Pincher/etc this wind was insane. It reminded me of the giant gusts that Mt Allan or Cadomin can experience, and the dust storms it kicked up were pretty wicked. What a day that was....

We hunted the rest of the week trying to get on the 'right' buck for Cody. We passed a TON of 'decent' bucks and likely passed one or two that were even a touch better than decent. We had a couple great hikes in some awesome country and put the miles on. I did find that some areas that traditionally have a ton of antelope during this week were void of antelope. A lot of eastern 118 and even South-eastern 102 were very quiet for antelope. In the past I've seen some of these areas filled up with them, so I think some of the storm that hit likely moved them around a bunch, and some areas seemed a bit affected by the fire right down south. All anecdotal and just guessing but it was interesting to see the numbers and pockets of areas that used to have good herds in them pretty quiet.

On day 5 Cody and I found a good buck and did a perfect stalk on 3 bedded bucks. We had a truck pull in behind us and realize we were on our bellies in the field and promptly turned around which was nice as it allowed us time to finish up our stalk. Cody made a great 220 yard shot at a waterhole to end the hunt by noon on Friday.

By Wednesday afternoon the crowds were pretty minimal (as expected) and each day it got less and less. Mon and Tues were obviously the busiest days, and yep on Sun/Mon things were pretty comical with how many vehicles were all over the place. I was happy to say that we only heard about 3-4 gun shots through the hunt (being in the right places I guess) and never once got buggered up or got into a 'bad' situation with other hunters, vehicles, etc. I've hunted the zone with 450 tags in the past and it does make things pretty interesting with pressure, landowner relationships, competition, etc. Having 262 tags made things busy for sure, but we were lucky to have a really enjoyable hunt the entire week.

I had a great hunt in country that I spent a lot of time in and was good to connect with landowners I haven't seen in a while and spend some time with great friends down there. Likely will be my last Alberta pronghorn tag (obviously some conversation points with priority system, allocation, etc) but I'll remain hopeful that I can continue to get 'back home' to chase mulies with friends and some WT every once in a while.

fuzzybiscuit
10-31-2017, 07:24 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great hunt. Congrats.

But I gotta ask, where are all the pictures? Lol.

I’m at a priority 4, so only another 15-20 years and I’ll get my shot. Can’t wait!

Rackmastr
10-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great hunt. Congrats.

But I gotta ask, where are all the pictures? Lol.

I’m at a priority 4, so only another 15-20 years and I’ll get my shot. Can’t wait!

Tried to add some last night from work but wouldn't upload. When I'm home and can sign into Imgur or a hosting site I'll add them up.

Walking Buffalo
11-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Tried to add some last night from work but wouldn't upload. When I'm home and can sign into Imgur or a hosting site I'll add them up.

:roll:

That's a cool buck Rack, wicked mass and extras. Glad you had another fun hunt in Alberta. :)

Rackmastr
11-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Haha here ya go!

http://i.imgur.com/oTiVlX5.jpg (https://imgur.com/oTiVlX5)

http://i.imgur.com/Zb5qTSM.jpg (https://imgur.com/Zb5qTSM)

Rackmastr
11-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Couple field pics from some bucks as well....mine is the first.

http://i.imgur.com/rsIM6mX.jpg (https://imgur.com/rsIM6mX)

http://i.imgur.com/Kyh7zla.jpg (https://imgur.com/Kyh7zla)

Rackmastr
11-04-2017, 06:57 PM
And here are the two bucks that my father and Kim killed back in September in a different zone. Overall a pretty amazing year for antelope.

http://i.imgur.com/1esMcRR.jpg (https://imgur.com/1esMcRR)

http://i.imgur.com/pB9PP3c.jpg (https://imgur.com/pB9PP3c)

Rackmastr
11-04-2017, 06:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BcbIdl1.jpg (https://imgur.com/BcbIdl1)

http://i.imgur.com/HBWHyEZ.jpg (https://imgur.com/HBWHyEZ)

http://i.imgur.com/e6ZmyLK.jpg (https://imgur.com/e6ZmyLK)

http://i.imgur.com/rA6yOIy.jpg (https://imgur.com/rA6yOIy)

Wild Images
11-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Great goat Trev

Hope my priority lasts anouther year

Walking Buffalo
11-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Good stuff Trevor.

It's been way to long since I have hunted Pronghorns, not sure if those pictures helped or hurt. :mrgreen:

It definitely was a great year to have a tag, lots of BIG ones....

sheephunterab
11-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Great goat Trev

Hope my priority lasts anouther year

I'd expect the ability of non-residents to draw tags in Alberta will be replaced with a partner licence in 2018. Hopefully you have a good buddy willing to give up his tag!

BDAJ
11-06-2017, 03:13 PM
I know this thread is going great with Antelope success in Southern Alberta, and I also had a tag but could not cash in. However, the tag soup will taste much better with the success of my Bull Elk draw in 102 this fall. It was a great hunt and this was my first ever elk. It's all down hill from here! Huge thanks to my father and a few hunting buds that made this hunt so memorable. Will post pics if someone could give me some helpers on how to do that on this site. For some reason, it won't let me upload.

Rackmastr
11-06-2017, 07:30 PM
I know this thread is going great with Antelope success in Southern Alberta, and I also had a tag but could not cash in. However, the tag soup will taste much better with the success of my Bull Elk draw in 102 this fall. It was a great hunt and this was my first ever elk. It's all down hill from here! Huge thanks to my father and a few hunting buds that made this hunt so memorable. Will post pics if someone could give me some helpers on how to do that on this site. For some reason, it won't let me upload.

You sure did great down there man! What a great area to hunt elk in.

Wild Images
11-07-2017, 05:53 AM
I'd expect the ability of non-residents to draw tags in Alberta will be replaced with a partner licence in 2018. Hopefully you have a good buddy willing to give up his tag!

Thankfully I do !

Been hunting with the same guy for over 30 years

Sucks to lose 13 years priority though

BDAJ
11-07-2017, 07:42 AM
You sure did great down there man! What a great area to hunt elk in.

Thanks Rack! It was a hunt of a lifetime, and I was truely fortunate for how things played out. I'll get a pic of the finished Euro posted on Outdoorsmen soon. He's hanging comfortably with his "cousins" that all resided in 102. And I'll try to get it on here as well.

srupp
11-18-2017, 02:52 PM

Just hearing of this change..when did this happen..flush 11 years for moose,7 for deer..etc etc..paid for nothing..
Ya sure my hunting partner is going to give up his moose, or mulie. .
Pretty cheesy bushleague" move alberta..yet alberta s coming here get their own animal..
Would have been nice to have a heads up to actually use the tags I'd paid for...

Steven Rupp

fuzzybiscuit
11-18-2017, 04:20 PM
I managed to find a antlerless elk up in 526. My partner and I both ended up getting one on the sixth day of the hunt. He also ended up with a nice 4x4 Whitetail. Not too bad for our first trip up to the Peace country.

https://s20.postimg.org/l1s29cyzx/6_FA4_AC18-_DB2_B-4_DAB-8_AEE-2_AF60_E18_A963.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ikgb23f3d/)

Just got back yesterday. A couple days to clean up and relax and I’ll be heading out for Whitetails and a 530 Bull moose draw.

Good luck all.

fuzzybiscuit
11-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Just hearing of this change..when did this happen..flush 11 years for moose,7 for deer..etc etc..paid for nothing..
Ya sure my hunting partner is going to give up his moose, or mulie. .
Pretty cheesy bushleague" move alberta..yet alberta s coming here get their own animal..
Would have been nice to have a heads up to actually use the tags I'd paid for...

Steven Rupp

All rumours at this point Steven. The speed at which change happens I suspect you will get next year to use those priority points if not a few years.

Wild one
11-18-2017, 04:28 PM
It sucks as a guy who hunts Alberta to loose the draw option but really don't blame residents not wanting to be in the same draw pool as non residents

if If you can still be hosted for open season opportunity not a big deal no different if an Alberta resident wants to hunt BC.

srupp
11-18-2017, 04:39 PM
If i understand it moose, mule deer would not be eligible for BC hunters? Doesn't mention elk, pronghorn , sheep..
I have it that TJ SHWANKY"is on the board deciding this..maybe he would explain. .?

Srupp

Rackmastr
11-18-2017, 04:45 PM
If i understand it moose, mule deer would not be eligible for BC hunters? Doesn't mention elk, pronghorn , sheep..
I have it that TJ SHWANKY"is on the board deciding this..maybe he would explain. .?

Srupp

Read all the documents in the files and you'll notice that mule deer is being discussed at the landowner level, and pronghorn/mulie/elk are being discussed at the non-resident level.

Some good reading in the documents though that goes through it all.

srupp
11-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Read it it does close the door to BC residents going to Alberta..now much easier to hunt Wyoming for pronghorn. .
No real reason to hunter host Alberta residents..i can no longer go back for reciprocal event...
I did the survey. .expressed my profound disappointment. .they keep all $$$$$ that I yearly paid out to get drawn?
It like the guide issue should be brought in over 5 years allowing us with 11 years priority to use the opportunity we have paid for..
Srupp

Rackmastr
11-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Read it it does close the door to BC residents going to Alberta..now much easier to hunt Wyoming for pronghorn. .
No real reason to hunter host Alberta residents..i can no longer go back for reciprocal event...
I did the survey. .expressed my profound disappointment. .they keep all $$$$$ that I yearly paid out to get drawn?
It like the guide issue should be brought in over 5 years allowing us with 11 years priority to use the opportunity we have paid for..
Srupp

Yes it would sure close the doors on a bunch of opportunity, and I've got a bunch of priority built up with myself and my wife....but...it is what it is and in the end the decision is up to the majority of Alberta residents and although I don't think this is the solution to fixing the long wait periods, as TJ pointed out its the easy fix for now. Still some great opportunity in the Alberta even without those draws for spending time with our friends and family. I'd hope that people don't need a 'reason' or have something 'reciprocal' to continue to enjoy hunting with friends or family.

Alberta (like several provinces and States) has some issues with their draw system and will continue to work it out to figure out the best processes to make it work best. I believe there is a lot better approach to creating a separate non-resident pool likely or something similar, so I did voice my opinion as well and encouraged others to do the same. I love hunting there and have enjoyed some great hunts there in the past few years.

Lets be honest, it does not cost any extra to add a non-resident to an Alberta draw, so the $$ spent on priority was being spent by the resident regardless.

srupp
11-18-2017, 05:19 PM
What opportunities remain?.?
That's it no more BC oil to Alberta..lol
In the long run..2% by bc residents?
Steven

Rackmastr
11-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Several opportunities in Alberta to hunt as a non-resident, I'd think they are pretty obvious actually.

Yes, losing those hunts would be horrible and the 2% I agree is minimal. In the end though, it will be the decision of the majority of AB residents and if they feel that they need to make the change, then as a non-resident there isn't much a guy can do other than voice your opinion. We've seen BC residents worry about small percentages (rightfully so) when discussion allocation and non-resident harvest, so this doesn't surprise me a ton.

I'd be upset to lose it, don't get me wrong...but I'll continue to find ways to enjoy hunting with my friends and family here, there and in other jurisdictions!

Wild one
11-18-2017, 05:58 PM
If BC allowed non residents to apply for LEH just like Alberta has for years I could understand the big huff

Really yes it sucks but Alberta residents have gotten the short end of the stick with the way things have been.

Maybe if everywhere in Canada had the same rules for non resident hunters things would be different. I have not seen much effort from BCs resident hunters to try and open doors for increasing opportunity for non residents. If anything most have tried to keep them out

It sucks but can you really blame them

srupp
11-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Can this process be done before next springs draws?
Again what opportunities remain..whitetail deer....?
Alberta s can come hunt deer , moose, caribou..
They are free to do as they please..however consider the $$ invested by non residents allow some remedy. ..
Steven

Rackmastr
11-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Can this process be done before next springs draws?
Again what opportunities remain..whitetail deer....?
Alberta s can come hunt deer , moose, caribou..
They are free to do as they please..however consider the $$ invested by non residents allow some remedy. ..
Steven

Whitetail deer, several archery hunts, non-draw mule deer, elk, moose, upland game birds, waterfowl a plenty, coyotes, wolves, black bears, etc.

You said it yourself...its only 2%. I'd imagine the $$ invested by non-resident Canadians on hunter host licenses isn't a 'game changer'

fuzzybiscuit
11-18-2017, 08:16 PM
There is a whole separate thread started by ‘Noggin dedicated to what may or may not happen in the future to the Alberta draw system folks:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?139840-Alberta-Bow-Association-Allocation-Policy-Survey&highlight=Alberta+draws

I think the spirit of this thread was the 2017 Alberta draws and the hunts that would come out of them. Things were going good so let’s try to keep it on topic.

Walking Buffalo
11-18-2017, 11:09 PM
If BC allowed non residents to apply for LEH just like Alberta has for years I could understand the big huff

Really yes it sucks but Alberta residents have gotten the short end of the stick with the way things have been.

Maybe if everywhere in Canada had the same rules for non resident hunters things would be different. I have not seen much effort from BCs resident hunters to try and open doors for increasing opportunity for non residents. If anything most have tried to keep them out

It sucks but can you really blame them

There is a lot of truth in this statement.

I am fully opposed to the proposed changes but it will be an uphill battle educating people why keeping the door open to NR is a good thing.
A major factor is the difficulty in which other provinces levy against NR hunters....

Years ago I started a thread here on HBC asking for thoughts on allowing NR Canadians access to the BC LEH,
not too much support for the idea...
My reasoning was to educate the concept that all provinces should share with All Canadians. Being greedy will cost you.
Nope, the MINE MINE MINE crowed loudly.

I hate the thought that Alberta may become more restrictive to access to our Wildife.
This is the wrong road to maintain a strong hunting tradition within ALL of Canada.

I especially hate it because the vast majority of hunters in favour of the change have no clue how many NR's are in the draw.
When I tell them, they stutter in disbelief, usually mumble that I must be wrong....

This change is only being considered for the belief that it will somehow alleviate the increasing wait times in the draw system.
The government and stakeholders know that this move will do NOTHING to improve wait times.
And yet they (F&W and stakeholders) proceed and pretend to be doing something positive.

Walking Buffalo
11-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Here is the thread I mentioned.

It was quite revealing and perhaps even sad to see how minds changed after the Outfitter allocation/policy agreement was released.

Would you support NR Accompany To Hunt permits for BC Sheep Grizzly Bear?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?70323-Poll-Would-you-support-NR-quot-Accompany-To-Hunt-quot-permits-for-BC-Sheep-Grizzly-Bear&highlight=draw+resident

I bring this up again as I strongly feel we hunters as a group are shooting ourselves in the crotch with this path to continuously make hunting more restrictive, generally forcing our NR friends and family into an exclusive commercial hunt.

I hope with time we can reverse this trend and learn to share.

sheephunterab
11-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Srupp

That would be Schwanky but you have it wrong my friend but never let the truth get in the way of a good story. This recommendation came out of a special committee of the AGPAC groups and will be presented to AGPAC for consideration. It will affect all draws other than bighorn sheep is my understanding. This is all public knowledge, including who was on the committee. I'd suggest maybe reading it before making wild and unfounded accusations. Have a great day!

sheephunterab
11-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Steven

If you actually read the committee recommendations, they are proposing a partner licence which would still allow non residents to hunt draw species.

sheephunterab
11-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Lets be honest, it does not cost any extra to add a non-resident to an Alberta draw, so the $$ spent on priority was being spent by the resident regardless.

Exactly! I get the frustration but talk of class action law suits for all of the money invested is a total non starter! At most it was $3 a year and as you point out it's still $3 regardless of number of applicants. So the non resident's share is $1.50 a year. I can't see many lawyers taking this one on!

srupp
11-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Hmm don't know what or who is on the committee. .folks from Alberta suggested you were on a/the commit ie. .hence the question..

Not suggesting anything..merely trying to get facts..hunter hosts suggesting partner scheme is not going to work...

You sound like you know which side of the fence you landed on this issue..
Yup a tad upset with what and how..but not as much as some..
Appreciate your view.
Srupp

sheephunterab
11-19-2017, 06:08 PM
You didn't ask a question...you made a statement. An erroneous one at that. I'm guessing I know who those folks in Alberta are and they should know better than to spread false rumours. How could my comments give any indication what side of fence I'm on? I merely provided some facts.

fuzzybiscuit
11-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Since this thread has gone down the crapper from the original intent and no one seems to want to get it back on track we might as well keep it going...

How do you all feel about letting Non-residents in on the BC limited entry draws? Probably be around the same 2% as non-resident applications in Alberta. After 25 years of putting in for a Rosie draw and not getting one it sure would be nice if I could keep giving my donation each year. But alas, I doubt one BC resident would want to see a non-resident get one of those coveted draws over themselves.

I hear people up here bitching all the time that they are not afforded the same privileges when it comes to out of province draws (BC & Sask) as people from elsewhere are in regards to Alberta. So the gravy train might be coming to an end for non-residents. How much sympathy do you think you’ll find on this side of the border?

And FYI...my BC resident dad puts in for Alberta draws each year and if I had a choice I’d keep things just as they are.

IronNoggin
11-19-2017, 08:22 PM
... After 25 years of putting in for a Rosie draw and not getting one it sure would be nice if I could keep giving my donation each year. But alas, I doubt one BC resident would want to see a non-resident get one of those coveted draws over themselves...

Apples & Oranges comparison, and you know it.
There are more than a few "select" draws in Alberta that NO Non-Res Canuck can get in on the way it is currently run.
If BC were to allow Non-Res Canadians into the draw (something I have historically lobbied for but will no longer) then why would anyone expect it to be any different. Over subscribed hunts such as Island Elk would be an obvious hold back.

Cheers,
Nog - The one not overly happy with what is developing in Alberta these days

Rackmastr
11-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Is a 13 year wait for antelope not comparable when looking in Alberta? What about a 14 or 15 year prairie elk tag? These numbers are obviously climbing.

It's not apples and oranges. Considering the only ones Alberta does not allow is goats (6 tags), bison and sheep and a few resident zones or hunts like Wainwright etc I'm actually thinking it's apples to apples to compare pronghorn and Roosevelt elk.

Walking buffalo had some great points...

Walking Buffalo
11-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Apples & Oranges comparison, and you know it.
There are more than a few "select" draws in Alberta that NO Non-Res Canuck can get in on the way it is currently run.
If BC were to allow Non-Res Canadians into the draw (something I have historically lobbied for but will no longer) then why would anyone expect it to be any different. Over subscribed hunts such as Island Elk would be an obvious hold back.

Cheers,
Nog - The one not overly happy with what is developing in Alberta these days

And the disease spreads....

sheephunterab
11-20-2017, 07:38 AM
How do you all feel about letting Non-residents in on the BC limited entry draws? Probably be around the same 2% as non-resident applications in Alberta. After 25 years of putting in for a Rosie draw and not getting one it sure would be nice if I could keep giving my donation each year. But alas, I doubt one BC resident would want to see a non-resident get one of those coveted draws over themselves.

Perception is not always reality but you hit the nail right on the head. The number of non-residents in the draw does little to statistically affect one's chances of drawing but many residents get miffed when they see a non-resident draw one of the tags they've been trying to draw for a dozen or more years. Add in that very few other provinces afford us the opportunity to draw alongside residents and it's not hard to at least see why many residents are pushing to have this practice stopped. You've got people in this very thread saying screw Albertans ever getting a chance to draw in BC now that this is happening despite the fact that BC residents have enjoyed that opportunity for decades. Again, no wonder Albertans are miffed. There seems to be an awful lot of take and no give. I'm open minded enough to see the big picture here but it's not surprising that many Albertans aren't and many in this thread will only have themselves to blame!

Rackmastr
11-20-2017, 08:41 AM
You've got people in this very thread saying screw Albertans ever getting a chance to draw in BC now that this is happening despite the fact that BC residents have enjoyed that opportunity for decades. Again, no wonder Albertans are miffed.

Likely the most dissapointing part of this thread is the instant "well if they aren't going to let us them screw them" attitude, or the suggestion that without being allowed to hunt draw species in Alberta they will no longer have a reason to host their friends in BC. I sure shake my head when I wonder what type of input they put into the consultation period. In my opinion we should be looking for big picture type thinking on how to move forward.

This is coming from a guy who has several years of priority built up with myself and my wife. Frustrating yes, and something I think could maybe be done better, but it's no wonder the conversation crumbles with a "me first" attitude. WB highlighted that pretty quick and the comments on no longer supporting Albertans having expanded opportunity here sure shows the issues we face moving forward in wildlife management.

Walking Buffalo
11-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Perception is not always reality but you hit the nail right on the head. The number of non-residents in the draw does little to statistically affect one's chances of drawing but many residents get miffed when they see a non-resident draw one of the tags they've been trying to draw for a dozen or more years. Add in that very few other provinces afford us the opportunity to draw alongside residents and it's not hard to at least see why many residents are pushing to have this practice stopped. You've got people in this very thread saying screw Albertans ever getting a chance to draw in BC now that this is happening despite the fact that BC residents have enjoyed that opportunity for decades. Again, no wonder Albertans are miffed. There seems to be an awful lot of take and no give. I'm open minded enough to see the big picture here but it's not surprising that many Albertans aren't and many in this thread will only have themselves to blame!

Shouldn't our gov and stakeholder reps be responsible and smart enough to propose and make decisions based on facts and realistic expectations of results?

They express the sole intent of the change is to decrease wait times, and they know this change will not do that, but the proposal is being made anyway....

Notice how no details of NR numbers were offered in the public questionnaire? I sure did. Numbers were given for other questions.... Seems that there was a desire to keep the public uninformed. This is pure politics, not wildlife and hunting management. AGPAC is doing nothing to increase hunt-able wildlife populations, they are simply managing hunting opportunity by slice and dice.

Are you in favour of this proposed change?

Are you in favour of BC relaxing their NR licensing requirements?

If you are in favour of easing restrictions on interprovincial hunting, how do we get on to that path where we all learn to give?

Maybe it starts by defeating this proposal?

Springer
11-20-2017, 09:11 AM
I reflect back on a fairly recent issue here in Alberta with the rules changing to Full Curl on Bighorn Sheep or making them draw tags for us. There definitely was some fear mongering happening . There was lots of pushback from Alberta resident hunters as we worried about our hunting opportunities for them...Well so far so good and we can still hunt them and the rules haven't changed yet.
I to have heard of this rumour of the non resident's not going into the draw pool anymore but the possibility of still Hunting with your BC friends on a Partner tag.
I hope this takes years to go through or not at all.
TJ i think the question was attached with your name because of your rooted involvement with Fish & Game rulings here and just for clarification of what you know is all.
For now Boys lets focus on the positives it still exists to bring your Family and friends over for some Hunts and maybe plan on using those draw tags up. I am sure theres a few more years this will go through discussions and heated debates but for now it hasn't changed..
I have enjoyed over the counter tags in BC and am very thankful for the opportunity to have been on those hunts. I imagine there will be an increase of BC licence plates here next Fall with folks using up their draws that they are entitled to regardless of what it costs for the draw entry. I believe in the pay it forward idea to help others out here in Alberta as they have done it for me and taken me along on Hunts in their home province.

Walking Buffalo
11-20-2017, 09:21 AM
No, Springer, these changes my happen much faster than you anticipate.
At least that is the plan unless there is blowback like the winds that effected the Sheep proposals.

Could they be in effect by this spring? Unlikely, but still possible.
2019? Yes.

sheephunterab
11-20-2017, 10:07 AM
WB have you run the numbers on the high odd draws or just the overall 2%? I have no idea what they are but am curious.

sheephunterab
11-20-2017, 10:10 AM
I reflect back on a fairly recent issue here in Alberta with the rules changing to Full Curl on Bighorn Sheep or making them draw tags for us. There definitely was some fear mongering happening . There was lots of pushback from Alberta resident hunters as we worried about our hunting opportunities for them...Well so far so good and we can still hunt them and the rules haven't changed yet.
I to have heard of this rumour of the non resident's not going into the draw pool anymore but the possibility of still Hunting with your BC friends on a Partner tag.
I hope this takes years to go through or not at all.
TJ i think the question was attached with your name because of your rooted involvement with Fish & Game rulings here and just for clarification of what you know is all.
For now Boys lets focus on the positives it still exists to bring your Family and friends over for some Hunts and maybe plan on using those draw tags up. I am sure theres a few more years this will go through discussions and heated debates but for now it hasn't changed..
I have enjoyed over the counter tags in BC and am very thankful for the opportunity to have been on those hunts. I imagine there will be an increase of BC licence plates here next Fall with folks using up their draws that they are entitled to regardless of what it costs for the draw entry. I believe in the pay it forward idea to help others out here in Alberta as they have done it for me and taken me along on Hunts in their home province.

Phil are you on crack? I have zero and I repeat zero rooted involvement with Fish & Game rulings. No idea where you got that impression other than from your own imagination. Geeze man, why spread BS rumours about me for nothing more than the sake of stirring up crap. I thought more of you!

sheephunterab
11-20-2017, 10:36 AM
No, Springer, these changes my happen much faster than you anticipate.
At least that is the plan unless there is blowback like the winds that effected the Sheep proposals.

Could they be in effect by this spring? Unlikely, but still possible.
2019? Yes.

The Environment boys are taking a huge reg change package to the Government in 2018! Don't discount how fast this could happen.

IronNoggin
11-20-2017, 11:42 AM
And the disease spreads....

Knee jerk reaction obviously.
I will continue to host Buddies from Alberta, as I do pretty much each & every fall.
And I will continue to push for opening the doors a tad more for our out-of-province brethren in the hunting clan down the road.

... This is pure politics, not wildlife and hunting management. AGPAC is doing nothing to increase hunt-able wildlife populations, they are simply managing hunting opportunity by slice and dice.

I guess it is this lack of transparency while hanging us out to dry that I am miffed at the most.
While it might not make a large difference, I cannot help but believe that were the actual numbers to be known, most Albertans would not only be surprised, but also be able to see through the smoke & mirrors game being played here. Unfortunately I do not believe that is about to happen until it is far to late to make any difference.

Are you in favour of this proposed change?

No Sir

Are you in favour of BC relaxing their NR licensing requirements?

As noted, this is something I previously lobbied for. And something I will most likely be doing again. So... Yes.

If you are in favour of easing restrictions on interprovincial hunting, how do we get on to that path where we all learn to give?

I am uncertain at this point. Many will and are reacting as I did in a knee jerk fashion - getting po'd over the perception of losing what one once took for granted. Perhaps the way to deal with it is to shrug that matter off, and get on with looking at our own situation, and how we might work that into an overall plan Canada wide. Again, I am not overly confident that would fly at this exact moment, but maybe once the dust settles down a bit...

Other than that, I am Wide Open to Suggestions!!!

Maybe it starts by defeating this proposal?

One can hope, but given the way it is being played, I am more than doubtful...

Cheers,
Nog

Springer
11-21-2017, 08:09 AM
No TJ i can't afford Crack, Taxes in Alberta are getting too high for that.
I guess how i got that impression was through reading your articles in The Alberta Outdoorsman for years.The magazine you write articles for. I have read your comments throughout the years and what you have relayed back to the readers from the outcome of Alberta F&G decisions, not AGPAC So i suggested yourself as knowing more about this issue that is all, and that you may be a resource for more clarification on this.
My Public apologies if this is out of context of what was heard on the receiving end. there was no intent of stirring up crap !What would be my gain for doing that ?
In post #63 you reference changes coming. I also read this on page 8 of the Alberta Outdoorsman as well as the Hunting community i know that are all discussing this on the sidelines.
With your involvement of the Antelope fencing project etc i took it you were involved more with F&G than you are...

sheephunterab
11-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Phil, all of this info is out there for the public to read. I've got no inside track or influence. I say again...zero. Unfortunately many people would rather gossip and fly off the handle than do a little digging for the facts. I was just trying to bring some context to this discussion by relaying the facts. Anyhow, apology accepted.

Walking Buffalo
11-21-2017, 09:23 AM
WB have you run the numbers on the high odd draws or just the overall 2%? I have no idea what they are but am curious.

I'll try to dig up some of the older data that I was able to sneak out of the system, from around 2010-12.

I just made a request to F&W Policy for the data they provided to AGPAC for this discussion, specifically for a detailed breakdown of the NR Special license data.
We'll see how timely and transparent they will be.

This is what F&W included in the questionnaire.

"In 2016, approximately 1000 non-resident Canadian special license draw applications were made, resulting in 300 licenses purchased. Non-resident Aliens are currently prohibited from participating in special license draws in Alberta.

Other jurisdictions reserve their special license draw system for residents. Currently, there are approximately 435,000 draw applications made annually in Alberta, resulting in significant wait times for some high-demand draw choices. Over 84% of non-resident special license draw licenses awarded are for Antlered Moose and Antlered Mule Deer. "

I've asked if NR Trophy Sheep are included in this total.
If so, that's 372 of the 1000 applications.

84% of 300 licences where for Antlered Moose and Mule Deer, approx. 252 licences.

Two NR Bighorn sheep licences were issued.

That leaves 46 licences that went to a mix of Elk, Pronghorns, and Whitetails.

It is interesting that 1000 applications resulted in 300 licences.
628 applications for 298 licences if Sheep were included in the original numbers.

That is an incredibly high success rate which could only be maintained if the applicants were applying for low priority draws, Priority 1 on average, (two years of applying). Even if Sheep were not included, the success rate is still very high, a P2 on average.
This leads one to suspect that NR's are not obtaining many high priority Special Licences, looks like they are typically just trying to get a low priority tag and enjoy a hunt with their family and friends.

Looking forward to seeing how this further breaks down to each species and in relation to Resident applications.

sheephunterab
11-21-2017, 10:51 AM
I suspect the number of NR applying for whitetail tags would be zero or close to it. I'd also suspect that elk would be quite low. I'm not sure the number of antelope tags issued in 2016 but 40 NR tags could be 5% or more and in some specific WMUs could easily run into 10% or higher. I suspect mule deer could be similar. I know there are at least two NR mule deer hunters in the zone I was drawn in this year out of a pool of 28 tags. There could be more I don't know. While the overall numbers are indeed very low, I suspect some specific WMUs have fairly high percentages. These stats kind of remind me of the way outfitters harvest is calculated. Perhaps we need to look at caps by WMU?

Walking Buffalo
11-21-2017, 12:19 PM
I requested the data breakdown to the species and wmu level.

Yes, likely very few to no WT draws, I'll guess half of the remaining pool is elk and half pronghorns.
There were 678 Pronghorn licenses in 2016. 25 NR licenses would be 3.7%. I suspect the real number is even lower as it was back in 2010/11.

I would have no problem supporting a % cap on NR special licences by wmu, as long as the cap is exponentially higher than the proposed 0%.
5-10%, no problem. Just as I support having Landowner licenses capped, not eliminated.

And if Alberta keeps NR special licences, it should be time to have BC follow suit with something more than a few words on a forum.

If F&W is forthcoming with the data, I'll happily compile it and share with all.
I suspect few people actually realize how few NR are hunting through the draw system.
Maybe an informed opinion will differ from one comprised from conjecture.

IronNoggin
11-21-2017, 12:30 PM
... And if Alberta keeps NR special licences, it should be time to have BC follow suit with something more than a few words on a forum...

I concur with everything you have said here.
And I am willing to commit towards working on BC "following suit" should Alberta keep those draws open.

As for expecting F&W to be forthcoming, I am not really holding my breath.
I do hope for a pleasant surprise, but surprise it would be.
And of course I wish you All The Best in that pursuit!

Cheers & Thanks,
Nog

Mule Buck
11-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Some draw wait times in Alberta are an obvious issue. Most draws are taking longer every time you are drawn. Some are becoming impossible.
There are many things that could be changed to help this. Of course removing non residents in the draw are one of these changes.
At least they are thinking of ways to improve the system and decrease wait times. It's a start of something that is long overdue.

Walking Buffalo
11-21-2017, 10:38 PM
Some draw wait times in Alberta are an obvious issue. Most draws are taking longer every time you are drawn. Some are becoming impossible.
There are many things that could be changed to help this. Of course removing non residents in the draw are one of these changes.
At least they are thinking of ways to improve the system and decrease wait times. It's a start of something that is long overdue.

Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

This is the first MAJOR hunting policy review in the last 30 years, and likely for decades going ahead.

Eliminating NR and Landowner licences are the ONLY changes that has been proposed to help deal with the Draw situation.

This isn't a start, this is an end.

Mule Buck
11-22-2017, 06:25 AM
If you say so. I see it differently.
When Alberta residents see no chance of their children pulling a tag, they push change. And this is the result. Not the end, but the beginning.
It would be even more effective if we had an Alberta hunters association that sought and disseminated the population, harvest, draw, outfitter, and landowner data. Then it wouldn't be such a mystery.

Walking Buffalo
11-22-2017, 12:26 PM
I suspect the number of NR applying for whitetail tags would be zero or close to it. I'd also suspect that elk would be quite low. I'm not sure the number of antelope tags issued in 2016 but 40 NR tags could be 5% or more and in some specific WMUs could easily run into 10% or higher. I suspect mule deer could be similar. I know there are at least two NR mule deer hunters in the zone I was drawn in this year out of a pool of 28 tags. There could be more I don't know. While the overall numbers are indeed very low, I suspect some specific WMUs have fairly high percentages. These stats kind of remind me of the way outfitters harvest is calculated. Perhaps we need to look at caps by WMU?

I received what F&W could offer.

While the data is not complete despite the standing AFGA resolution for a yearly license accounting.

No NR data compiled at the wmu level.

F&W commented that the NR special licence numbers are so small that it was not considered worth the time to do a detailed analysis.
NR sheep were not included.

2016 NR Special Licenses issued-
Total - 300
Applications - approx. 1000, Average Successful Priority Level - 3.3

WT - 1 out of 361 total licenses = 0.3%
MD - 149/10,188 = 1.5%
Elk - 32/1826 = 1.8%
Moose - 104/11,114 = 0.9%
Pronghorn - 14/678 = 2.1%

Total Licenses = 24,176
Total NR Licenses = 300, 1.2%

Yup, this proposed change will really help the draw wait time....:roll:

I'm sure that the fencing work you do every year has a greater impact than this would.

IronNoggin
11-22-2017, 07:16 PM
WT - 1 out of 361 total licenses = 0.3%
MD - 149/10,188 = 1.5%
Elk - 32/1826 = 1.8%
Moose - 104/11,114 = 0.9%
Pronghorn - 14/678 = 2.1%

Total Licenses = 24,176
Total NR Licenses = 300, 1.2%

Yup, this proposed change will really help the draw wait time....:roll:

http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif

Walking Buffalo
11-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Spoke with a couple of committee members. I have every reason to believe their words.

Seems the loudest voice calling for the end of NR Canadian Hunter Host licences (draw and general) IS as I suggested earlier,
APOS (Alberta Professional Outfitter Society).

APOS is again complaining that they are losing potential revenue with the allowance of Hunter Hosted NRs....

IronNoggin
11-26-2017, 12:26 PM
... APOS is again complaining that they are losing potential revenue with the allowance of Hunter Hosted NRs....

More than a bit of a reach IMO.
Most of those I know who travel to Alberta to hunt these tags certainly are not in any position to engage an outfitter!
Just "normal" hunters, without the deep pockets required to be personally catered to.

So, it appears that the residents are being sold a load of bunk suggesting their success rates will get better in order to secure their votes, which translates to direct support for the outfitters cornering the complete market for those from outside Alberta.
Hmmm... Smacks of something their ilk in BC might have dreamed up...

Surveys will close soon.
Here's the links if anyone is remotely interested:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VZD78H2

http://www.bowhunters.ca/

Nog

Mule Buck
11-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Get rid of all the outfitter allocations and non resident draws for all species residents need to draw for.

IronNoggin
11-26-2017, 04:03 PM
... and non resident draws for all species residents need to draw for.

I'm guessing reading comprehension wasn't your strongest point when (if?) you went to school... :roll:

Bottom line as has been well discussed here is that getting rid of those tags you mention regarding non-resident Canadians will NOT
make ANY difference in your realized draw success rates.

Guess it does make sense though if you're a spiteful bassturd who simply wants to take away from others... :-P

Cheers,
Nog

Mule Buck
11-26-2017, 06:39 PM
I'm not a spiteful ******* but find it offensive when a non resident is pretending to know how Alberta residents feel with respect to our draw issues.

IronNoggin
11-26-2017, 06:48 PM
I'm not a spiteful ******* but find it offensive when a non resident is pretending to know how Alberta residents feel with respect to our draw issues.

I am NOT at all "pretending to know how Alberta Residents feel with respect to your draw issues".
Nowhere have I ever said that I was.
I well understand the frustration most have (I have a LOT of Albertan Buddies & Family still there).
And I was a Resident who was active in Conservation there for decades so well understand many of the issues.

What I HAVE been saying is that the current tack the various groups are taking in regards to non-resident Canadians will do NOTHING to rectify those issues.
Yet those same groups are willing to LIE to you and suggest they will (while fully & completely understanding they are lying in this regard). You are being sucked into their scheme, and it is more than obvious you and many others are having perception difficulties understanding the TRUTH of the matter.

So yeah, continuing to beat the drum you just did is completely spiteful IMHO. ;)

Have a great evening...
Nog

Mule Buck
11-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Removing one single draw or allocation from a non resident/OG and giving it to our tax paying, opportunity restricted resident hunters would be a success.
I'm not sure why that is hard for you to comprehend. You would clearly rather politicize the issue to continue to try to make us feel good while using our limited resource.
This survey didn't just fall out of the sky.
Albertans are sick of it all. Nothing personal. Spiteful bassturd.

IronNoggin
11-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Removing one single draw or allocation from a non resident/OG and giving it to our tax paying, opportunity restricted resident hunters would be a success...

LOL! And once again, your stated notion is simply one of spite! :lol:
Won't make any real difference to you or any other putting into the draws.
But GhawdDammit, we sure showed those guys from BC! :roll:

I could see it if the resident draw success rates were to go up, say even as little as two percent.
But they won't.
And you (and every other Albertan) who thinks it will are going to end up waiting for exactly the same amount of time you did before this change.
Enjoy.

The real drive behind this is the APOS and their greed to hold all non-res access in their hands.
A shame you can't see it.
A shame you bought into the kool-aid being served so well.

Nothing personal. Spiteful bassturd. :grin:

Cheers,
Nog

Mule Buck
11-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Changes will happen. Some will lose. Just tired of seeing the residents taking it. You obviously aren't.

IronNoggin
11-26-2017, 07:32 PM
... Just tired of seeing the residents taking it. You obviously aren't.

You are not alone.
And I am right there with you (and my Friends & Family over there) in being tired with the way ESRD runs the show.
There ARE better ways, but they are set in theirs.
And their approach pretty much screws everyone almost equally.
I feel for you, and all the rest living over there.

I hope you find the changes beneficial down the road. Really.

As for myself, I completely understand that my limited impact does nothing as far as "residents taking it".
However believe what you want to believe. I am not here to change that.

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
11-26-2017, 10:15 PM
Changes will happen. Some will lose. Just tired of seeing the residents taking it. You obviously aren't.

Wow..2 way street..i hosted hunters and fishermen. .for critters mountain cariboo, 14 pound rainbows on fly, sturgeon, salmon,..guys want to come to BC to hunt their own big game or fish..however for the 1.2% difference you'd close the door...Hmmmm seems clear to me..
Srupp

Mule Buck
11-27-2017, 05:26 AM
These aren't fish. Or whitetails, or bears...
Some draw species are becoming once in a lifetime. Or less

sheephunterab
11-27-2017, 06:38 AM
Wow..2 way street..i hosted hunters and fishermen. .for critters mountain cariboo, 14 pound rainbows on fly, sturgeon, salmon,..guys want to come to BC to hunt their own big game or fish..however for the 1.2% difference you'd close the door...Hmmmm seems clear to me..
Srupp

For the record, this proposal does not advocate closing the door, just eliminating non-residents from draws. Non residents would still be able to hunt non-draw species (other than sheep), basically the same as BC, with a hunter host and there would be a partner licence created to allow Non-residents to still hunt draw species on a resident licence. And fishing would still be permitted as well. I've always been a fan of our hunter host system but honestly, after seeing the attitudes of a few on here, I'm changing my mind. Albertans have zero to gain from allowing non residents in our draws and nothing to lose if they are eliminated. To this point we've just permitted it out of kindness. Some of you need to remember that! It's not your right but rather a privilege that some seem to be taking for granted!

srupp
11-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Just lucky that most have a better attitude towards their BC friends. .pretty clear you are not a fan of BC hunters coming over..i appreciate the opportunity to come visit friends do some hunting..don't expect to hunt sheep...and enjoy Alberta friends coming over for hunting..
Having BC hunters draw tags..1.2 % difference..rounding error..it's a privilege and a treat to come hunt ...you have misjudged at least my attitude in regards to Alberta..a guest..no attitude..

Steven

sheephunterab
11-27-2017, 03:55 PM
How is that clear when I said I was a fan? You've put a lot of words in my mouth so far in this discussion...zero of which have been true. I've had several BC and Yukon friends over to hunt. It's the gimme gimme attitude of some that's turning me off. Perhaps try to understand what's driving this desire for change and offer a little support and understanding. You are correct it is a privilege...not to be taken lightly. You seem to miss the point that this isn't about math but about perception. If there's any hope of turning this recommendation around that perception should be that NR are eternally grateful for the opportunity. So far I'm not getting that from this thread.

Wild one
11-27-2017, 04:13 PM
I still don’t get all the complaints about Alberta putting non residents under the same restrictions BC does. Archery and GOS are still planed to be open to hunter host program. Hell even the ability for your Alberta host being able to put you in for LEH but give up there tag is better then BCs options to non residents. BC you have to apply to host and restrict it to 3 mu’s I believe and a set amount of days. Alberta walk in with resident buy tags hunt all of Alberta for the whole season if you choose. Then add in BC will deny hunter host in some GOS for some species outside of sheep.

Only BC resident I have seen on this thread that mentioned improving options for non residents is Nog

Maybe if more BC residents were lobbying to improve non resident Canadian opportunity in BC it would encourage other provs to keep or open their doors

Outside of the Yukon I don’t think there is a prob more restrictive then BC

IronNoggin
11-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Very interesting discussion of these issues on the Alberta Forum...
Seems a few Albertans are catching on as to how they are being played...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=334246

Unfortunately cannot get the Alberta Outdoorsman magazine here in town. If anyone can, and would be willing to provide a summery of TJ's article, I would be forever grateful...

Tomorrow is the last day for the survey's folks...

Cheers,
Nog

Mule Buck
11-29-2017, 05:12 PM
We should have just asked the non-residents what they want. They seem to think they are the most important

sheephunterab
11-29-2017, 05:28 PM
The gist of the article Iron is that it is proposed that hunting be allocated by opportunity rather than actual harvest and that could ultimately result in residents receiving fewer tags. Basically rather than outfitters getting 10% of harvest, they get 10% of tags (20% in the case of sheep and cougar). As outfitter success rates typically run higher than resident rates, much higher on species like sheep and elk and moose, that it could result in outfitters getting a much higher percentage of the actual harvest....ultimately reducing the number of tags available to residents.

Mule Buck
11-29-2017, 05:34 PM
Not that resident harvest rates are accurate anyhow. Terribly manipulated piece of data

sheephunterab
11-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Are you arguing that resident success is higher or lower?

Mule Buck
11-29-2017, 06:44 PM
No idea. Are you arguing that the data is accurate and representative of the true harvest? Is it mandatory?

sheephunterab
11-29-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm arguing it's what we have now and we should work to improve it to ensure a more equitable allocation of tags. Or we could just go with the opportunity based system I guess.

IronNoggin
11-30-2017, 12:16 PM
A fellow posted TJ's article on Canadian Gun Nutz. Here is the link for any interested - post # 29 in the following thread:

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1620032-Alberta-Bow-Association-Allocation-Policy-Survey?p=14351125#post14351125

Well thought out TJ. I agree with most. Thank you.

LAST DAY to answer the survey's folks!

Cheers,
Nog

sheephunterab
11-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Apparently Track's reading comprehension is not on par with yours noggin.....haha I never once discussed the NR draws in the article but that's his total take away. Sheesh...there's no winning on the internet!

IronNoggin
11-30-2017, 01:22 PM
Sheesh...there's no winning on the internet!

Ain't THAT the Truth!! :lol:

Have a Great Day TJ!

Cheers,
Nog

sheephunterab
12-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Haha...just looked again, that's not even the article being referenced in the AO discussion. It's in the December issue and focuses totally on allocating hunting by opportunity vs harvest. Too funny.

Norwestalta
12-01-2017, 01:10 PM
I’m a fan of the Alberta hunter host program and I don’t think any changes are needed. Wish every province and territory had this. I would like to see our residency requirements tightened up because I think that is the bulk of our problem here.

Walking Buffalo
12-01-2017, 07:38 PM
I’m a fan of the Alberta hunter host program and I don’t think any changes are needed. Wish every province and territory had this. I would like to see our residency requirements tightened up because I think that is the bulk of our problem here.

I suspect that might make more than a 1% difference. :)

Word is that TJ was right once again (:roll: ) in that F&W desires to have any changes made into law by this spring.
With a strong chance that this is yet another exercise with no action.
AGPAC meeting next week, and it is off to a final draft.
Supposed to be one more round of public consultation after the final draft is done.
We'll see....
Stay tuned. :)

Springer
12-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Well back to the Alberta Draws and chasing Antelope..My Boys were both hard pressed for time to hunt and very busy running their own businesses , so 2 days Max to hunt.
I had done some scouting the day before in country i had never been before. So i got permission forms signed at the Ranches and talked to some landowners..
The Boys arrived Sunday evening in Foremost and we were sitting in the Rolling hills in the dark waiting for the sun to come up the next morning.
As the light arrived slowly in the East so did the Antelope..
Aaron was the first one to Put lead into his Buck and we just stayed put for a half hour as other small herds kept passing through and Nathan kept scaring them off by shooting at them haha..

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5565_zpszaiqbzhg.jpg (http://s410.photobucket.com/user/Springer428/media/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5565_zpszaiqbzhg.jpg.html)

We took some pics , high fived then field dressed the Buck on the tailgate and stuffed him into the cooler full of ice blocks.

We continued to pursue the different herds and Nathan continued to miss....
The next morning Aaron headed for home and Nathan and i went back to Huntn in the 100 kmh winds...
It wasn't until 2:00 in the afternoon that the lead finally connected on a Buck and Nathan closed his 12 yr priority tag..

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5591_zps8rnobjle.jpg (http://s410.photobucket.com/user/Springer428/media/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5591_zps8rnobjle.jpg.html)

It was Gorgeous Country and i sure wish i had my shotgun and Bird dog at times when we found pockets of pheasants as well.
The Sweet grass Hills to the South sure were a pretty sight..

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5550_zpsr7qiepoj.jpg (http://s410.photobucket.com/user/Springer428/media/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5550_zpsr7qiepoj.jpg.html)

We went back to an Old Farmstead we found to dress out Nathans Buck out the wind and tumbleweeds. We quartered his Buck and headed for camp. With my Cooler back in Red Deer i had to improvise and stuff the quarters in the Trailer Fridge..We had to wait until the next morning to drive home because of the high winds and pulling a trailer , there were actually semis in the ditch and trains blown off the tracks, crazy southern Alberta winds.
So i got home quartered Aarons Buck and stuck them in the Shop fridge.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5605_zpslvx3tdza.jpg (http://s410.photobucket.com/user/Springer428/media/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5605_zpslvx3tdza.jpg.html)

It didn't take long to butcher these up and they will be thoroughly enjoyed . I Absolutely Love Antelope meat and in a few years i will get the opportunity myself to hunt them again..

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5504_zpswc1kvl5w.jpg (http://s410.photobucket.com/user/Springer428/media/2017%20Antelope%20Hunt/IMG_5504_zpswc1kvl5w.jpg.html)

Hopefully you BC Fellas will still get your opportunities to still come back for yours especially if your high priority now. I have hosted 2 Guys from BC for Antelope and have hunted with them in return in BC.
Cheers !!

Mule Buck
12-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Meanwhile a newly applying Alberta resident has no chance to be drawn for trophy pronghorn in Alberta in his lifetime. This based on the number of new applicants/yr exceeding the number of tags drawn.

IronNoggin
02-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Meanwhile a newly applying Alberta resident has no chance to be drawn for trophy pronghorn in Alberta in his lifetime. This based on the number of new applicants/yr exceeding the number of tags drawn.

Cry me a river. :evil:

You, and all other resident hunters were sold a bill of goods by the outfitters with backing from the bow association. They did not actually lie though, for you see by cutting Hunter Hosted Non-Resident Canadian Draws out of the picture, you will realize an increase in your success rates. At the recognized 1.2 % those draws represent, that equals an extra tag for you ONCE EVERY 100 YEARS!
Hope you and your lot are happy with that outcome. :roll:

The Alberta Fish & Wildlife Association passed ALL proposals internally (of course with support from the outfitters and the bow association). It now goes up to the Ministry there for approval. Since that ministry was in collusion for those proposals, that is likely simply a matter of a rubber stamp.

Rather nice of our neighbors to eff us over so finely eh?
Already a few I know over here are talking retaliation in the form of preventing any and all Alberta hunters from coming to BC on our hunting host program, and increasing fishing licenses for them by an exorbitant rate.
Part of me agrees, as I am pissed right off at their selfish, overly protectionist behavior. Behavior undertaken while being led by the nose into believing what they are doing will make a difference, when in fact it will not.
On the other side of the coin I am resistant to those suggestions, for I would hate to see us sink as bloody low as they currently are...

Bloody mess.
Once again proving to me just how gullible and self centered so damn many in the hunter's so called Community really can be... :cry:

Sadly,
Nog

fuzzybiscuit
02-24-2018, 07:49 PM
Shitty deal. I had hoped to get my dad up here for a early season moose hunt this year.

IronNoggin
02-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Shitty deal. I had hoped to get my dad up here for a early season moose hunt this year.

It ain't a Done Deal just yet. Given how well Alberta F&W functions at the upper levels, they may well (Hopefully!!!) miss the boat on bringing in those changes for this year. Alternatively, they are under pressure to do so from certain (I am fairly certain you might recognize "who") groups to Git 'Er Done. Let's hope their usual lackluster performance in that regard shines through once again, and you get that opportunity...

If you happen to be in a General Open Season area and not a draw, you will not be effected (yet) for that opportunity.
Do it now.

If F&W don't get this through by their own deadline (shortly) I would STRONGLY advise every BC Resident who might happen to have priority points built up over there to BURN them ALL this year. Otherwise you'll simply be tossing them in the trash....

Nog

Walking Buffalo
02-25-2018, 08:39 PM

You, and all other resident hunters were sold a bill of goods by the outfitters with backing from the bow association. They did not actually lie though, for you see by cutting Hunter Hosted Non-Resident Canadian Draws out of the picture, you will realize an increase in your success rates. At the recognized 1.2 % those draws represent, that equals an extra tag for you ONCE EVERY 100 YEARS!
Hope you and your lot are happy with that outcome. :roll:

The Alberta Fish & Wildlife Association passed ALL proposals internally (of course with support from the outfitters and the bow association). It now goes up to the Ministry there for approval. Since that ministry was in collusion for those proposals, that is likely simply a matter of a rubber stamp.

Rather nice of our neighbors to eff us over so finely eh?

Already a few I know over here are talking retaliation in the form of preventing any and all Alberta hunters from coming to BC on our hunting host program,
and increasing fishing licenses for them by an exorbitant rate.

Part of me agrees, as I am pissed right off at their selfish, overly protectionist behavior. Behavior undertaken while being led by the nose into believing what they are doing will make a difference, when in fact it will not.
On the other side of the coin I am resistant to those suggestions, for I would hate to see us sink as bloody low as they currently are...

Bloody mess.
Once again proving to me just how gullible and self centered so damn many in the hunter's so called Community really can be... :cry:

Sadly,
Nog

You recognize that IF these changes pass, this just lowers Alberta to the bar established first by BC....
Alberta would be sinking to BC's restrictions on NR access, nothing less.

Let's fight to race to the bottom....

Wild Images
02-26-2018, 11:40 AM
You recognize that IF these changes pass, this just lowers Alberta to the bar established first by BC....

Lets keep both ends open !!!!!!

Walking Buffalo
02-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Lets keep both ends open !!!!!!

I agree. That's my kind of fight. :)

If BC (and other jurisdictions) allowed NR Canadians to enter their draws in a controlled fashion, it would be MUCH harder for Alberta to become more restrictive.

sheephunterab
02-26-2018, 06:22 PM

The Alberta Fish & Wildlife Association passed ALL proposals internally

I suspect you mean Alberta Fish and Game Association and if by internally you mean after extensive open consultation with all members then you are right. :roll:

of course with support from the outfitters and the bow association Interesting seeing as APOS and AFGA voted differently on a number of the recommendations.

IronNoggin
02-26-2018, 08:14 PM
I suspect you mean Alberta Fish and Game Association and if by internally you mean after extensive open consultation with all members then you are right. :roll:

Then why the fear of releasing the survey results??
Open and understandable was supposed to rule that day.
Has it??

Are any of the "stakeholders" releasing any of the the results from their surveys?
If not, why not??

Interesting seeing as APOS and AFGA voted differently on a number of the recommendations.

Interesting is correct.
Only input I have from that is from a few in the many camps...
If by abstaining you mean "voted differently" I may understand some of it.

Care to enlighten?

Wondering...
Nog

sheephunterab
02-26-2018, 08:35 PM
Results are public. APOS didn't abstain...they voted differently. AFGA yes...APOS no....differently.

Jagermeister
02-27-2018, 12:51 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what does APOS mean? Is it an acronym for "a piece of shit"?

Rackmastr
02-27-2018, 01:14 PM

Ding ding ding!!! Winner here.

sheephunterab
02-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Haha...no APOS...Alberta Professional Outfitters Society

fuzzybiscuit
02-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what does APOS mean? Is it an acronym for "a piece of shit"?

Some would think so...lol.

srupp
02-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Ding ding ding!!! Winner here.

Hmmm I'm missing the boat again..my friends from Alberta can come and hunt whitetail, mule deer, black tail deer, moose, caribou,

General open season game..no not sheep or grizzlies. .oooops"
But when I went to Alberta. .it was elk, pronghorn, mulies, whitetail, black bear?..
Not sheep..
Now if this proposal passes..if I want to go to Alberta..it's whitetail..i can get my own tag..but mulies ? No if one of my friends wants to give up his own personal mulie tag..i would not even ask my friends to do this..maybe TJ" ?
To me this is nowhere close to how open BC is..am I missing something?
Steven

Walking Buffalo
02-27-2018, 07:21 PM
Hmmm I'm missing the boat again..my friends from Alberta can come and hunt whitetail, mule deer, black tail deer, moose, caribou,

But when I went to Alberta. .it was elk, pronghorn, mulies, whitetail, black bear?..
Not sheep..
Now if this proposal passes..if I want to go to Alberta..it's whitetail..i can get my own tag..but mulies ? No if one of my friends wants to give up his own personal mulie tag..i would not even ask my friends to do this..maybe TJ" ?
Steven

Yes, Srupp, the boat is over here.

If these proposals pass, You could still hunt Any General Licence (except Bighorns) under the current Hunter Host program. Just like in BC.
That would allow you to hunt everything we have except Bighorns, Bison, Goats, and Goats.
Elk, moose, black bear, Mulies and WT are still available to you, where and when and how they are a general tag.

You revived another aspect that would keep Alberta slightly above BC, if passed, you could be "gifted" a Resident's Special Draw licence (LEH).
Can't do that in BC. Just get tags from your buddy's Aunt or Uncle that doesn't hunt anymore....

Keep those letters flowing. ;)

Rackmastr
02-27-2018, 07:27 PM

Not sheep..
Steven

Alberta would allow you to hunt anything that's non-draw species, similar to BC's laws.

Yes, you're missing something Srupp.

sheephunterab
02-27-2018, 08:10 PM
That would allow you to hunt everything we have except Bighorns, Bison, Goats, and Goats.

Actually the NR draw for bighorns would still exist and there is a non licence bison hunt so really only critters unavailable are goats and antelope.

You are missing quite a bit Srupp and no you can't partner on my mule deer tag! ;)

Wild one
02-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Basically Alberta is going to be like BC?

sheephunterab
02-27-2018, 08:32 PM
Kind of but not really, NR will still be able to hunt the prime draw hunts on a partner licence and Alberta will still have a couple NR sheep tags available via draw.

srupp
02-27-2018, 08:48 PM
I do appreciate the time and effort to explain the proposed changes..i always enjoy coming to Alberta and meeting friends old and new..and yes do some usually quality hunting.so my priority points system was the equivalent to BC LEH draw system ?
Now the restriction would limit where and when i could hunt...general open season..
There are that many moose I can just drive over buy a tag and go moose hunting general open season..? Restricted to remote areas outside the rut?
Thanks TJ..I'm sure you were joking about not giving up your mule tag for a BC guy..lol can't blame for trying..
Thanks guys
Steven

sheephunterab
02-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Just giving you a hard time Srupp and yes, my posts are for information purposes only. The amount of misinformation and conspiracy theories surrounding this are mind blowing. One of the member groups may be softening their position on this a bit and AGPAC has until March 15 to write up their recommendations to government. There will likely be a few changes from what what originally put forward by committee.

Rackmastr
02-28-2018, 09:12 AM
I'm still working on buttering up my Alberta buddies to partner tag with me in the future just in case....lol

Wild one
02-28-2018, 09:50 AM
I'm still working on buttering up my Alberta buddies to partner tag with me in the future just in case....lol

I taught 2 of my Alberta buddies how to hunt so I have leverage lmao

srupp
03-03-2018, 12:27 AM
Hmm my great handsome friendly intelligent Alberta is here next week..going to ply him with wine..great food cooked by Susan..in a hope to get back to hunt Alberta this fall..may have to throw another 14 pound rainbow via flyfishing trip this summer?
Hope situation doesn't change..
Steven

Springer
05-30-2018, 02:44 AM
Well the draws are out for 2018 and the only changes I see are for the cancellation of the Bison Hunt. All this fear mongering for nothing.....But maybe the following year possibly ? I have no idea. Just Happy I can still Host a Non resident and they can use up their points they paid and applied for ..

fuzzybiscuit
05-30-2018, 07:21 AM
A whole lot of hurt feelings for what turned out to be nothing this year.

Will it change in the future? Who knows? If I was a BC resident though, or really any out of province resident, and sitting on a bunch of priority points I’d be looking at using them up while I still could.

From what I could make out of it the rumour is based in fact and it is only a matter of time before the ability of non-residents to apply for limited entry draws will be affected.

I’d bet dollars to donuts though that there will still be a lot of people complaining about losing a pile of priority points next year if the proposed changes happen even though they have essentially now been given a one-year warning to use them.

Springer
05-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Couldn't agree with you more FB.

sheephunterab
05-30-2018, 02:09 PM
The suggested changes should be coming out of AGPAC very shortly then will be available for public consultation before next year's reg changes.

srupp
05-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Well the draws are out for 2018 and the only changes I see are for the cancellation of the Bison Hunt. All this fear mongering for nothing.....But maybe the following year possibly ? I have no idea. Just Happy I can still Host a Non resident and they can use up their points they paid and applied for ..

Thanks Phil for keeping up on this, I appreciate all the hunter hosts from alberta..and the many fine folks, landowners....
Yup lets burn them points up....come on moose..mulies..pronghorn. ..sasquatch...
We will chat on your upcomming visit. .flyfishing..travel trip..
Cheers
Steven

Springer
05-31-2018, 12:46 PM
Yes we can work on that Muley for sure, Just have to make up my mind soon on which zone..lots of choices.. As far as the BC trip yes its should be fun. Sturgeon Fishing and Gold Panning with River Monsters as well as Fudd Ruppsters Guiding services for more Gold !!!!

srupp
07-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Hmmm thank you Phil for saving my wifes life.
Was a great trip..man Fords are expensive to run..lol
Some gold, some laughs, great food.
And I get to hunt Alberta trophy mulies this november..
Steven

Rackmastr
07-11-2018, 05:55 PM
And I get to hunt Alberta trophy mulies this november..
Steven

Me too...wife drew a tag, should be a great time!

Brez
07-11-2018, 07:46 PM
Me too...wife drew a tag, should be a great time!
I drew 102, where is your wife's tag Trev?

Rackmastr
07-11-2018, 09:45 PM
I drew 102, where is your wife's tag Trev?

Super fun zone man, I love that area in 102 and enjoy hunting it any chance I get.

She drew up in 158 by Drumheller

scottwh
07-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Got my Moose tag this year! Should be a good hunt out there!!! Good luck to all!

Brez
07-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Super fun zone man, I love that area in 102 and enjoy hunting it any chance I get.

She drew up in 158 by Drumheller

Yeah really looking forward to it and the scenery. I'll be going with Pierre Tessier. Good luck to you and your wife.

Rackmastr
07-12-2018, 04:49 AM
Yeah really looking forward to it and the scenery. I'll be going with Pierre Tessier. Good luck to you and your wife.

Great guy to go with as well. Some of the biggest mulies I've been lucky enough to see was when I was living and spending most of my time in 102. Look forward to seeing how you guys do!

Blacktail
07-12-2018, 07:49 AM
I will be hunting moose in the 506 this fall

Wild Images
07-12-2018, 10:31 AM
102 Bull elk

Hoping for Speedy Goat as well

longrifle
07-13-2018, 10:44 AM
I drew 102 bull elk and will also have another antlered mule deer license...My wife drew antlered mule deer and also should be receiving an antelope draw as well. Its going to be a busy fall! Good luck to all!

'rifle

butcher
07-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Got 204 mule deer. Will be there last 10 days or so of the season.

IronNoggin
07-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Good to see that there is some decent success among our BC crew this year.
Sounding like this may well be the last year for that access, so likely a damn good idea to burn up those priority points.
I'll be left dangling with a bunch it seems...

Best of Luck to those who drew! :smile:

Cheers,
Nog

Brez
07-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Good to see that there is some decent success among our BC crew this year.
Sounding like this may well be the last year for that access, so likely a damn good idea to burn up those priority points.
I'll be left dangling with a bunch it seems...

Best of Luck to those who drew! :smile:

Cheers,
Nog

Gosh I hope not! I'm at priority 11 on pronghorn and plan on going next year.

butcher
07-13-2018, 10:18 PM
Ha me too. Hoping for one more chance or I’ll have to buy a hunt in the states.

Rackmastr
07-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Gosh I hope not! I'm at priority 11 on pronghorn and plan on going next year.

Sure a good possibility that it may be done....time will tell!

walks with deer
07-13-2018, 11:20 PM
bull moose very happy.

Sportster
07-14-2018, 12:55 AM
No Alberta draws for me this year. But my three Alberta buddies all did really well. So the two trips I do to Alberta every fall are still going to be a lot of fun.

ajr5406
07-14-2018, 02:37 PM
148 mule deer for me.

IronNoggin
07-14-2018, 05:24 PM
148 mule deer for me.

Rather fine place to draw IMHO. :wink:
You have boots on the ground lending a hand?

Wondering...
Nog

Rackmastr
07-14-2018, 10:46 PM
Got 204 mule deer. Will be there last 10 days or so of the season.

Should be some great mulies there and love that late season stuff!!!

Springer
07-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Muley Buck for me around home along with my son Aaron who pulled his plus Antlered Moose.
Nathan the middle son got Muley Buck out East along with some BC guy from here...
Cant wait to start Bowhunting .

srupp
07-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Hmmmm lucky SOB from BC....

BC Steven

IronNoggin
07-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Hmmmm lucky SOB from BC....

https://bigshotsbc.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Owned.gif

https://bigshotsbc.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Cheers.gif
Nog

kodeman
07-25-2018, 07:02 AM
151 antlered Mule Deer for Me...woohoo!!!!!

Mik
07-26-2018, 09:01 PM
Moose tag for me in around GP

Norwestalta
08-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Anyone get a speed goat draw? Got mine finally.

Jordan f.
08-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Nothing but anterless whitetail for draw.

But we'll be chasing mountain muleys and elk on the general season archery tags!

Rackmastr
08-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Anyone get a speed goat draw? Got mine finally.

Awesome stuff, congrats!!

We had 3 AB pronghorn tags last year, hunted 2 different zones and had a great time. I truly love hunting them almost as much as anything out there. Big prairie mulies in the rut may take the cake for me...lol

northof49
08-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Am level 16 for sheep....not long now unless the close it to non-res

Jordan f.
08-27-2018, 07:59 PM
Am level 16 for sheep....not long now unless the close it to non-res

I hope we keep allowing BC hunters to come here!

sheephunterab
08-28-2018, 08:11 AM
Northof49 you should be guaranteed a tag next year unless some of those that have been 999ing suddenly put in. There's 17 people with more priority than you but all 999'd last year.

Jordan f.
08-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Northof49 you should be guaranteed a tag next year unless some of those that have been 999ing suddenly put in. There's 17 people with more priority than you but all 999'd last year.

Isn't the quota really low (2?) for the non-res trophy sheep. With 17 people ahead, I wouldn't say it's a guaranteed thing at all.

Maybe I'm looking at the draw info wrong? Never paid much attention to the non res stuff, so I might be driving outside of my lane here.

sheephunterab
08-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Those 17 all 999'd their draws last year so if they do again North is at the top.

Jordan f.
08-28-2018, 02:36 PM
Those 17 all 999'd their draws last year so if they do again North is at the top.

I'd say it's pretty likely a chunk of those guys pull their tag over the next couple years. I'm not saying it's impossible. Just more likely he pulls it sometime in the next 5 years.. rather then guaranteed next year. And that is assuming he can put in every year seriously.

But at this point we are talking about a lot of what if's about a guy I've never talked to before. So long story short I hope he pulls it soon and gets to enjoy our beautiful mountains.

sheephunterab
08-28-2018, 03:27 PM
I said it was guaranteed if the 999 guys stayed 999 in my first post.....not that it was guaranteed...sheesh. Having watched the draw stats very closely over the years I'd say his odds are very good but no...not guaranteed.

srupp
08-28-2018, 03:42 PM
i appreciate the chance to come to Alberta and visit friends and strangers..and hunt trophy mulie and open season whitetails...I could never afford a guided hunt...and appreciate this chance at this.
keep up the great shows TJ
steven

Jordan f.
08-28-2018, 05:41 PM
I said it was guaranteed if the 999 guys stayed 999 in my first post.....not that it was guaranteed...sheesh. Having watched the draw stats very closely over the years I'd say his odds are very good but no...not guaranteed.

My bad. Was kinda mislead by the way you worded it. I probably don't need to rain on the guys parade regardless.

Rackmastr
08-28-2018, 06:19 PM
I wont get the chance to draw the Non-Resident Sheep tag in Alberta, but man oh man if I did, I'd spend the last 2 weeks of November with a bow in my hand chasing them in 410. Left too much unfinished business there in 2010, and that hunt is sure an amazing experience for so many reasons.

longrifle
08-29-2018, 07:24 AM
Gettin' stoked for my upcoming elk hunt! The countdown is on...

'rifle

Norwestalta
08-30-2018, 06:49 AM
i appreciate the chance to come to Alberta and visit friends and strangers..and hunt trophy mulie and open season whitetails...I could never afford a guided hunt...and appreciate this chance at this.
keep up the great shows TJ
steven

Good luck and enjoy yourself. I think albeeria has a great thing with the hunter host program and let's the average working stiff a great opportunity to hunt abroad.

Springer
09-03-2018, 08:09 AM
I 100% agree with you Norwestalta.

Wild Images
09-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Good luck and enjoy yourself. I think albeeria has a great thing with the hunter host program and let's the average working stiff a great opportunity to hunt abroad.

And vice versa. Lost opportunity in either direction is gone for ever.

I have hunted Alberta with the same guys for 30 years and had them in the mountains here

102 Elk and Antelope this oct

Lets not lose it for future hunters !!!!

Norwestalta
09-04-2018, 01:45 PM
And vice versa. Lost opportunity in either direction is gone for ever.

I have hunted Alberta with the same guys for 30 years and had them in the mountains here

102 Elk and Antelope this oct

Lets not lose it for future hunters !!!!

See ya there.

Wild Images
09-04-2018, 05:07 PM
See ya there.

I'll be the short guy :)

srupp
09-04-2018, 07:07 PM
Have met the most amazing folks in Alberta..familly actually.not a bad experience
Steven

Norwestalta
09-04-2018, 08:55 PM
I'll be the short guy :)

My mistake. We’re hunting in 104. Staying in milk river.