PDA

View Full Version : Places to glass for deer in BC

ForestWalker10
06-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Hey, I'm new to hunting, been doing loads of research and gone out a few times to try and find places to glass. Haven't really found anything I'm looking for. I was hoping to find some information on places I could go to glass, or places I can explore to find my own spots to glass, if anyone has any guidance as to where i could go, it would be much appreciated. Thanks. I live in Abbotsford.

dereke
06-18-2017, 09:24 PM
I would start by giving your location and some people will may shed some light...

IslandWanderer
06-18-2017, 09:25 PM
I live on the Island, and unfortunately our deer only live in suburbs and on farms.

ForestWalker10
06-18-2017, 09:41 PM
I live in abbotsford. So region 2, region 3, perhaps even 4 i might go as far as. thanks. :)

twoSevenO
06-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Where do you live? The terrain in region 2 really does not offer good glassing opportunities. It is simply too thick, for the most part. Much more productive are the open and/or cleared areas north of here in region 3 etc. There you can actually park your truck and glass for miles in different directions.

Of course, the other option, even for region 2, is to just get up high above the treeline and glass the high country. You won't be able to back your truck up to one up here, but you also won't hear the country sound like downtown Baghdad come dusk.

http://i.imgur.com/1z6puXu.jpg

ForestWalker10
06-18-2017, 09:48 PM
That's alright, Id prefer hiking in to more remote areas if need be. So like, just drive down service roads in region 3. park my vehicle and walk in somewhere. find a good vantage point? id like a little more detail. doesnt have to be "your" spot, but somewhere that's a good place to start exploring. Picture didnt load before. Yeah, if i could go to that place or something nearby just like it, that would be perfect. just to get a start you know? i have no friends or family that hunt so im learning the skill on my own.

Fella
06-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Google earth is a good place to start. Zoom in on an area that you'd like to explore and see if there are any big openings such as cut blocks, meadows etc then figure out how you're going to get to those spots.

Seth
06-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Google Earth. Zoom in on an area that's within your allowable driving radius for the day or weekend, then scroll around for the nearest road system that gets you within glassing distance of the alpine or slash you'd like to glass. First and last light are your best times but if you stare hard and long enough looking for parts of animals, not whole animals, you'll be rewarded.

ForestWalker10
06-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Awesome, thats a great idea. thank you.

scotty30-06
06-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Hiking websites can be helpful aswell...tells trail conditions to summit....also get to check out pics from summit to get an idea of glassing possibility...once you find a "hiking" trail you like then you can use it for a bit to get into a different spot....or can do what I do....follow a blacktail trail in region 2.....theres only up or down in region 2....other regions you get less abuse trying to get to summit...also depends what kind of deer your looking for....wouldnt be at the hardcore summit if I'm looking for whitetail....kinda like man tracker lol "know your land, know your prey"

twoSevenO
06-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Honestly, the best way is to befriend hunters ... people who have been hunting for a while. That's by far the easiest and fastest way to learn. Other than that, Google earth. It can be terribly deceiving though. So don't be surprised if you show up and the terrain is nowhere near as open or easy to hike through as it looked on your computer screen.

Having said that it's still a great tool to tell you that you're not wasting your time hiking an hour through some thick stuff only to come out onto a road you could've just driven up yourself.

There's really no magic formula. It kind of depends on what you like. I prefer to just look for spots that don't have a lot of roads through them, that look somewhat open, and then just go and take a look or go for a hike. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it ends up a bust.

ForestWalker10
06-18-2017, 10:16 PM
Ok. Good tips. :) Im looking for white-tail but depending on what i see more of and know where they are will give me a better idea of which tag to get, white or black.

scotty30-06
06-18-2017, 10:30 PM
They are cheap enough...get both and a bear tag and cougar tag ;p

caddisguy
06-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Keep in mind there are currently no openings for Whitetail in Region 2. There are some whitetails in the Fraser Valley though (Hope and Chilliwack) area so you should be careful to identify the species.

For Whitetails, you will want to check out the Okanagan.

ForestWalker10
06-19-2017, 05:28 PM
ok rad. thanks for the tip.

blackwater moose
06-19-2017, 05:35 PM
where on the island do you live ?

Seth
06-19-2017, 06:08 PM
where on the island do you live ?

He he lives in Abbotsford. (Original post)

plumberjustin
06-19-2017, 07:26 PM
If you wanna get out of the truck and do some glassin, try hitting empire valley out near 100mile/gang ranch. No vehicle access spots where you gotta hike it or horseback. Plenty of deer around, many ridges and valleys.

Keta1969
06-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Those open areas look great, but you'll usually find the deer especially bucks just in the timber or on the edges. Learn to look for shapes like a rump or leg or ears etc. and then watch and wait. Some deer I've spotted were after looking at a cut block for ages and been convinced there were no deer and then see a shape that just looks out of place and there he is. It's hard to describe but you have to relax your eyes and have patience. For me seems like they are easier to see when I quit really looking hard for them.

Leaseman
06-20-2017, 09:31 AM
You are 45 minutes away from some great areas to glass and hunt!

Get out and explore!!

Drive the Coq and hit some of the side roads.....8)

Stillhunt
06-20-2017, 11:13 AM
The gov't has already done the hard part for you...
Drive road.
Find sign " watch for deer "
Turn left or right.
Sounds too easy, but it works...

06-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Ok. Good tips. :) Im looking for white-tail but depending on what i see more of and know where they are will give me a better idea of which tag to get, white or black.

don't Pidgeon hole yourself with a species yet... if you are new just get out there and explore. looks like someone has given you a rough start. use that.
When you get home Google earth the location, or better yet if you have the money get a GPS that has satalite imagry.. sometimes the pics are old but it still helps...
Start by driving around everywhere, get out for short hikes looking for sign. Get the feel for where you are. Do not be afraid of road hunting to get your self dialed in.... Then get the boots on.
Heli slashes are great places to find deer here on the island,,, maybe they use "the choppah" to log there too?
South facing basins are your best bet... south side grows green faster.. Though in September sometimes the deer are on the north side in the cool....

so....
1) map book
2) drive around till you find something you think is worth it..... or use that hiking site mentioned
3) get out and hike it
4) get home and google earth the shit out of it.....
Repeat

Chopper
06-20-2017, 03:05 PM
uuhhhhggg ... couldnt IMAGINE starting from scratch ...

best of luck