PDA

View Full Version : Bull moose draw 3-35

Rayne
06-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Hey guys got lucky enough to get an October draw but have no knowledge of this area or about moose hunting for that matter. But am hoping to get up there and scout it out prior. Anyone know if the moose numbers are decent around there? Or will finding a bull be like looking for a needle in a hay stack? How effected is the area with Wolves and griz? Thanks everyone and best of luck to all this upcoming season.

HarryToolips
06-18-2017, 08:38 PM
There is moose there, and a decent amount of sign, but yes lots of preds...

Seymourarm
06-19-2017, 02:15 AM
Hey guys got lucky enough to get an October draw but have no knowledge of this area or about moose hunting for that matter. But am hoping to get up there and scout it out prior. Anyone know if the moose numbers are decent around there? Or will finding a bull be like looking for a needle in a hay stack? How effected is the area with Wolves and griz? Thanks everyone and best of luck to all this upcoming season.
Do people just look at a map and enter draws? Do u know most bridges were washed out years ago.? I believe they are repaired. But u entered without knowing that?

Rayne
06-19-2017, 05:40 AM
I got a moose draw last year aswell so I put into a random area not really expecting to get the draw with reduced odds

Rayne
06-19-2017, 05:42 AM
Also how does a map show a bridge is washed out. Once again thats first hand knowledge. I know there are tons of fsrs up there. Was just asking a couple questions knowing our pred problem is out of control everywhere else

Wolfdown
06-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Do people just look at a map and enter draws? Do u know most bridges were washed out years ago.? I believe they are repaired. But u entered without knowing that?
Someone sour they didn't get a draw?

Whonnock Boy
06-19-2017, 11:12 AM
I put in for the Spences Bridge or Kamloops lake sheep draws every year never having hunted there. I put in for Rosie Elk on the Island or up Stave every year never having hunted there. I put in for draws wherever I wish, having hunted there or not based on where I wish to explore and hunt. The number of draws given out for any specific area are based on harvest success rates, and account for those who will be successful, those who will go but be unsuccessful, and those who simply do not even attempt a hunt. Your chances of getting a draw in any one given area are the same regardless.

Seymourarm
06-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Someone sour they didn't get a draw?
No, not sour at all. I have to hunt alberta this year. I'm just surprised how many people enter in an unknown spot. A bridge in 336 was out a few years ago, I encountered several convoys that had driven a long way to get to upper seymour. They were stuck hunting a much less productive area.

Rayne
06-20-2017, 10:01 AM
Anyone have any information on the area rather than just wanting to bicker lol

monasheemountainman
06-20-2017, 10:21 AM

nope, get out there and check it out...

Seymourarm
06-20-2017, 05:06 PM
I'd start by finding out condition of perry river road, it gives you a lot of area. My family not at seymour for the summer yet, so unable to ask them. U could try getting hold of daniels store in seymour arm. They are on facebook. Last fall I was told no logging was to take place up that way(Ratchford creek) wich is just north of your zone . If they aren't logging that road is pretty much abandoned. Do you use atv?

Rayne
06-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Have access to a side by side.

TreeStandMan
06-20-2017, 06:05 PM
I got a goat draw up there this year, and from googling around far as I can tell the Perry River road has been repaired after bad washouts a few years ago, but I'm really not sure. I'll be heading out for a bit of scouting in August, so I'll know for sure then. Looks like amazing country. I can't wait to get boots on the ground, but I too am quite interested to hear from anyone who has been up that way lately.

Good luck to you with your moose. If I see a group of moose hunters up there I'll be sure to say hi.

Seymourarm
06-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Have access to a side by side.
Except maybe the southern section of 3-35 it's steep, I'd definitely use atv, there is some new logging cuts, but the ones you see on Google earth are mostly grown over . Most of 3-36 is grown over now, way less logging than in old days. Do u live close enough to drive to sicamous? Thar section of highway gets lots of moose on it, u may be able to stay closer to highway, I never spend time at that end of unit

Seymourarm
06-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Is your goat for 3-35 ? they used to give a lot for 4-39 just east. Awsome
mountains in that area.

Seymourarm
06-20-2017, 06:42 PM
I got a goat draw up there this year, and from googling around far as I can tell the Perry River road has been repaired after bad washouts a few years ago, but I'm really not sure. I'll be heading out for a bit of scouting in August, so I'll know for sure then. Looks like amazing country. I can't wait to get boots on the ground, but I too am quite interested to hear from anyone who has been up that way lately.

Good luck to you with your moose. If I see a group of moose hunters up there I'll be sure to say hi.
You can enter your zone via a few awsome drainages in 3-36 via the gorge road if you look at Google map, you'll see the logging road a go nearly to end, may even be easier to access high ground from that side.

Rayne
06-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Sounds good treestand man. Interested to hear how your goat hunt goes I got a draw for 3-16 a for an adult goat this year aswell looking forward to getting into goat country too. Yes I'm close enough to drive up but its 4.5 hours so to get a general idea of where to start looking is a huge help.

skinarama
06-21-2017, 12:14 PM
I also won a sharex moose draw in 3-35, and have been spring bear hunting there a few times this spring. I have seen 3 giant grizzlies and only a couple blacks. Moose sign is few and fAR between. Good luck!

Jelvis
06-21-2017, 01:25 PM
---------------------------------------------MU 3-35
------------------------------------------ Perry River

-- Accessible mainly from Perry River logging road system, this is rugged hunting country.
Moose, mule deer and lots of black bears.
Occasional grizz and mtn goat, also caribou, in the northern part.

Jel -- good luck hunting in MU 3-35 hunter --

TreeStandMan
06-21-2017, 01:43 PM
You can enter your zone via a few awsome drainages in 3-36 via the gorge road if you look at Google map, you'll see the logging road a go nearly to end, may even be easier to access high ground from that side.

Thanks for the information, Seymourarm. I've spent hours on Google Earth, but I know that once I'm there it'll all be so much more gnarly. The specific sheep zone is 3-35, 36 (Zone A).

Rayne: I'll be in touch after I head up there, probably during the first week of August. The more information we can share, the better!

VFX_man
06-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Also how does a map show a bridge is washed out. Once again thats first hand knowledge. I know there are tons of fsrs up there. Was just asking a couple questions knowing our pred problem is out of control everywhere else

Not sure if this will cover all of the wash-outs. But know it's accurate on one location that will impact me. BUT, figure that will reduce hunting pressure. I can get in there, but will take some work.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dka/Engineering.htm

Cheers, VFX

Rayne
06-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info and heads up guys. Is the mule deer population decent? Might have to suffice with a buck if I can't find a moose. Looks like I'm headed up alone might have a buddy come up for a couple days. But no one wants to take time off when its not there draw. I'm going to head up October 7-15. Should be enough time to catch a glimpse of a bull. Do you moose hunters find calling efficient? Never tried it

TreeStandMan
06-21-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm not the best moose hunter, but I know some guys that make it happen every year (GOS up north). They set up in a blind or a stand and cow call. Finding a place with good sight lines is key. I've called a bunch of moose into range like this, but have never had one come in with with the three brow tines or ten points required. Obviously this tactic is for the rut.

skinarama
07-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Was up there scouting this weekend and I have some bad news. The Road on the east side of the Perry river is totally blocked by a slide at around the 8 km mark. I mean completely unpassable. Not even on a horse are you getting through. The west side has a couple of sketchy wash outs as well. Saw a young cow moose, a porcupine, about 500 bear scats, and a dead cougar on the highway. Good luck out there!