PDA

View Full Version : goat hunting newbies

On my two feet
06-17-2017, 10:26 AM
So won a LEH goat tag for 4-01a, not asking about exact place to go but possibly what this general area is like. I am goin with brother in-law and neither of us have been goat hunting so I would love any advice on what to expect, gear, etc. The tag is for sept10-nov.30th, is it best to hunt early in september because of possibly less snow? We are both dads also and wondering about how dangerous goat hunting really is or is it more how dangerous the mountain range is. Any advice experienced goat hunters can give would be amazing.

monasheemountainman
06-17-2017, 10:39 AM
goat hunting can be scary as hell, but super fun!

dellis
06-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous.......goat hunting is probably safer than driving to work:shock:

Learn to identify billies and do not shoot a nanny. We are losing many goat seasons lately from too many nannies being killed.
Good study here. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/docs/goat_orientation_08Utah.pdf

Have fun. Here's some fuel for you. Billy I killed with a single shot 45-70 and cast bullets. Solo hunt.

Darcy:)
http://i.imgur.com/bH6023W.jpg

Canadian Dad
06-17-2017, 12:14 PM
And obviously hunt where Dellis hunts! On my goat hunt there was ZERO level ground. Kept sliding off my sleeping matt. Partner had to tie the goat to a tree to keep it from sliding farther down the slide.
OP, make sure your gear is good quality, you are in excellent shape and like Dellis said, have some good glass for positive ID (and saves on climbing to an ineligible goat).
Plus make sure you have realistic expectations. Weather and inability to actually get close enough for a shot ie cliffs and slides can make for some frustration.
Enjoy the country, good luck and have fun!!

rocksteady
06-17-2017, 12:17 PM
4-01 Flathead Valley

the repository for every relocated bad attitude grizzly bear ever trapped by the COS...

just an fyi

Rob
06-17-2017, 01:14 PM
4-01 Flathead Valley

the repository for every relocated bad attitude grizzly bear ever trapped by the COS...

just an fyi

Interesting...is that true?

ryanb
06-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Always think about whether you can retrieve the animal safely before you shoot. Too many goats are splattered at the bottom of the mountain or shot in really gross dangerous spots that you really don't want to have to go into. Patience is key, and don't shoot a nanny.

Rayne
06-17-2017, 02:31 PM
I also am a first time goat hunter and drew a tag for an adult only. Now I'm confused I know i don't want to shoot a nanny but how hard is it to identify horns being long enough? I know horns must be 10 cm. ie is it fairly easy ?

rocksteady
06-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Yes.. it is true... been good friends with the bear biologist for a long time...

ryanb
06-17-2017, 04:07 PM
I also am a first time goat hunter and drew a tag for an adult only. Now I'm confused I know i don't want to shoot a nanny but how hard is it to identify horns being long enough? I know horns must be 10 cm. ie is it fairly easy ?

There are a lot of goat sex ID resources on the Web. A kid will have obviously short horns. If you aren't sure, err on the side of caution.

Travalanche
06-17-2017, 04:22 PM

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=quiz.mountaingoatquiz

Brez
06-17-2017, 05:43 PM
In a word....Yes.
It's my experience that to get to goats, you gotta go through grizzlies - at least in the Kootenays.

swampthing
06-17-2017, 05:53 PM
The billies will usually be alone or with another billy. Are you guys backpacking or doing day hunts? They can be taken both ways. The terrain goats live in can be scary but common sense prevails. I have scared myself trying to retrieve dead goats. They live in some pretty cool country though. Hunting in goat country always makes for a pretty scenic day! Its great that you guys are dads so you will be able to share your newfound goat wisdom with your kids. Enjoy yourselves.

Brez
06-17-2017, 05:53 PM
It's REALLY hard. Do lots of research and take a good long look at any goat before pulling the trigger - and I mean it could take an hour or more. A small goat with small horns looks pretty much like a good goat with good horns. A Big goat is easier but not so easy to find. I had a friend shoot a good goat and I kidded him about it being a nanny and guess what? We had to check for balls to find that it was indeed a nanny. He felt terrible till he had it checked by an experienced CO who also thought that it was a billy. So a lot of reading. Val Geist published some stuff as he hunted them quite a bit.
That nanny was alone. I've seen good billies in groups of 3 or 4. There are always exceptions to the rules and the only rule that's true for me is that I will find the exception.

On my two feet
06-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the info and advice, I have one more question my tag is good from sept.10 to nov.30. What is the best time to go for a goat hunt? Do they act or move differently depending on time of year? In my head the time to go would be right when the tag is good so that the weather is good?

Brez
06-25-2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks for all the info and advice, I have one more question my tag is good from sept.10 to nov.30. What is the best time to go for a goat hunt? Do they act or move differently depending on time of year? In my head the time to go would be right when the tag is good so that the weather is good?
Do you want the better table fare or best trophy mounted? Best eating is early. best trophy (longest hair) is as late as you can but then access can be a problem. Really late and snow can be your friend as it pushes the animals down the mountain and your footing is more solid. Added bonus is no leaves at this time. they are frequently in the trees and alders so don't just look on steep, open terrain.Just before the snows and after freezing is very dicey (big pucker factor) as ice will form on the rocks. Get crampons. Get rid of any fear of heights. Approach from above if possible and wear white clothing, just showing bits and pieces of yourself. They can be very curious and I've had to stand and yell at them when they have gotten too close (under 10 yds) to scare them away. Read all you can on them and there is lots to read

Rackmastr
06-25-2017, 09:06 AM
I'd say for a first time goat hunter I'd aim for a late Sept hunt. A bit of the best of both worlds or a mix at least. Thanksgiving weekend is usually decent as well for both weather/snow conditions and also having the goats down a touch lower and haired up a bit.

That being said, for a first-timer, any time you can be out there hunting them is great, so if you have a couple trips planned then you'll have flexibility with weather and conditions. My guess is from Nanaimo its a 'one trip' plan though, so I'd aim for early Oct or late Sept personally for a first trip. Mid October if you want to ensure a decent hide and often times still decent weather.

BgBlkDg
06-25-2017, 10:01 AM
WEATHER, often is THE issue and the Kootenays, is as variable and often harsh as anywhere south of the Arctic.

I have been at Butt's, two days past opening when the snow storms were ferocious and I would NOT have ventured off a beaten path. I am more concerned about this than Grizzlies and I worked alone there in the bush for months sans break and also ran a 75 person camp at Sage Creek, under canvas.

So, be prepared for fine weather OR really shitty conditions and gear up accordingly. I also tend to prefer one of my .338WM rifles for this area and backpack hunts there, but, have seen a one shot kill on a Grizzly there with a .270Win.

GET FIT, really, really FIT and practice field position shooting as much as you can. Take good hiking poles, Kahtoola alloy crampons and spare, broken in boots. Lots of socks, foot powder and blister kit, also some T3s for pain---you WILL hurt a bit, if you get out and hunt hard.

Brez
06-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Heed what Rack and BBD have told you. Many times I've waited too long and not been able to go because of weather. Don't take the first one you see (unless of course it's a toad). The more goats you look at, the better you will be able to judge them. If you have a chance to hunt muleys closer to home where there are goats, or just go hike this summer where there are goats, do so and look them over.

BCbillies
06-25-2017, 11:15 AM
How many days you have planned for the trip? The longer you go the better your chances as you'll be able to wait out the crappy weather. Other than in November (when billies are more predictable as to where they will be regardless of weather) the weather affects where they hang out. Bad weather then down lower in cliffs/timber. Clear skies then up high generally. For you since you are going to be new to the area and new to goat hunting you should be going for the best weather possible and to cover some ground, get to know the lay of the land and where the goats hang out. When a guy knows an area well you can hunt in the crappiest weather conditions and still find the goats as you get to know their patterns. Goats will generally follow the snow line and be pushed down accordingly. Lots of factors to think about. What type of hunt do you prefer? Alpine (multi-day backpack) or spot and stalk from below (camp at the road, truck, creek).

This fall I plan to do an 8-10 day coastal goat hunt so I picked the latest I can go and still do an alpine hunt without getting dumped on with a foot or two of snow. I plan to go deep involving a full day of hiking at high elevation to get to base camp. I looked at weather patterns over the last 15 years and picked Sept 13-23 which gives me enough time to ride out some crappy weather which is bound to occur. The easy part is drawing the tag, half the fun is planning the trip, the other half is exploring the terrain/locating a decent goat and the memorable part really begins once the tag is cut . . . enjoy the journey and the addiction!

On my two feet
06-25-2017, 03:41 PM
We are planning to probably hike in and set up camp in the alpine because we have never tried hunting this way and seems really cool if the weather is ok. Planning on a 8-10 day hunt so in my head it was goin to be sept 10-20th or 18th to 28th that's why I wondering about the goats behavior but I would rather be hunting before a ton of snow comes in. Gonna look at average weather patterns and hum and haw some more. I work for myself so I can go either week and my hunting partner is flexible too so hopefully I can make a decision soon.... Haha

BCbillies
06-25-2017, 05:05 PM
We are planning to probably hike in and set up camp in the alpine because we have never tried hunting this way and seems really cool if the weather is ok. Planning on a 8-10 day hunt so in my head it was goin to be sept 10-20th or 18th to 28th that's why I wondering about the goats behavior but I would rather be hunting before a ton of snow comes in. Gonna look at average weather patterns and hum and haw some more. I work for myself so I can go either week and my hunting partner is flexible too so hopefully I can make a decision soon.... Haha

I like your time commitment and overall plan. Every week you delay the hides get better . . . you'll likely be fine with the Sept 18th - 28th dates. We'll swap stories when all is said and done this year.

untilthelastbeat
06-25-2017, 06:30 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?124034-2015-Goat-Hunt-Story

Here's a link to my first goat hunt a couple years back. Something to get ya fired up. It's a hell of a learning experience. If I can say anything do not cheap out on your boots, optics or packs. I'm willing to bet you can get away with lesser quality gear in other areas but if any of those 3 things are not up to the task you will not be having fun.

northof49
06-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous.......goat hunting is probably safer than driving to work:shock:

Learn to identify billies and do not shoot a nanny. We are losing many goat seasons lately from too many nannies being killed.
Good study here. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/docs/goat_orientation_08Utah.pdf

Have fun. Here's some fuel for you. Billy I killed with a single shot 45-70 and cast bullets. Solo hunt.

Darcy:)
http://i.imgur.com/bH6023W.jpg

Nice solo goat and self pic there Dellis. Thx for the share. Likely not many taken with 45-70

604redneck
06-25-2017, 08:39 PM
WEATHER, often is THE issue and the Kootenays, is as variable and often harsh as anywhere south of the Arctic.

I have been at Butt's, two days past opening when the snow storms were ferocious and I would NOT have ventured off a beaten path. I am more concerned about this than Grizzlies and I worked alone there in the bush for months sans break and also ran a 75 person camp at Sage Creek, under canvas.

So, be prepared for fine weather OR really shitty conditions and gear up accordingly. I also tend to prefer one of my .338WM rifles for this area and backpack hunts there, but, have seen a one shot kill on a Grizzly there with a .270Win.

GET FIT, really, really FIT and practice field position shooting as much as you can. Take good hiking poles, Kahtoola alloy crampons and spare, broken in boots. Lots of socks, foot powder and blister kit, also some T3s for pain---you WILL hurt a bit, if you get out and hunt hard.
Start posting some pics. You have lots of good stories, would love to see some country and animals. Also some gear .

j270wsm
06-25-2017, 09:24 PM

As others have said....November goats have amazing hides. My son and I both got goats 4yrs ago(Oct 5 and nov 20) Evans goat had short hair and mine had an amazing coat. Personally I'd wait until early to mid October before I'd start looking.

I spend a lot of time sledding where you have your draw and we usually have 2-4' by the middle of December

Brez
06-26-2017, 08:28 AM
One more thing...bring a pair of good, broken-in, leather gloves. I don't know about the Flathead but every goat hunt I've been on I've managed to grab hold of Devil's club, rose bushes, or any other thorny plant that can grow in the area. It will save your hands for sure.

BgBlkDg
06-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Start posting some pics. You have lots of good stories, would love to see some country and animals. Also some gear .

I had some neat pix from 1960s and a few from later, but, lost them in a basement flood in Nelson, 1969 and another in Maple Ridge, 1993. I have a very few as I never have been much of a photographer, just did not interest me and so never bothered.

If, I can find the few I do have, I might try to post these, but, never have seen any point to photographing gear and even "country" as I lived there and can/could see it as and when I chose.

My books, photos, papers and so forth are in storage as this house is small, we are slowly getting ready to move to (probably) Nelson and I am always happy to show people my guns, etc, in person and even assist people with fitting packs, etc, using my own gear. I did a lot of this from when I joined here until about 2012 when we had the spinal issues.....and, still will if someone requests it.

Photos, were not a big deal with the folks I worked with and most could not be bothered with the extra weight of cameras, etc. Things now are much different, but, my cell is simple, 5+years old and I have no intention of wasting $$$$ on one which takes pix......which is why I can afford the guns. gear and so on which are important to me.

ElliotMoose
06-26-2017, 09:58 AM
To the OP - Have you ever hunted Flathead country before? It can be a pretty physically demanding hunt but some of the most beautiful country you will ever see. As mentioned earlier, they do have a pretty good grizzly population and a couple of the boars roaming around are awfully grumpy. We had one stalking us deep in a drainage after I took shots at a goat. It's almost as though they have learned that a gunshot means a gut pile and they head straight for it, similar to a dinner bell. I would always have someone with me carrying a close-range bear stopper (45-70 for me) as the bush can be thick in some of those drainages and the visibility is less than ideal for a scoped rifle.

I wrote this thread a couple years ago and it is all in 4-01, though a different sub-zone than you will be hunting. We didn't get to make it back up there that year so I never continued the thread but it will give you a good idea of what the country looks like.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?121277-2015-Quest-for-goats&highlight=quest+goats+2015

I actually have the draw this year and will post as the season goes on, starting with our scouting/trail clearing trip in August. We have always went up there the 2nd week of september for the elk opener and it seems the billies are always at the top of the mountain in spots that are more or less inaccessible. We are going to try to push it back another couple weeks this year in hopes that the billies will be lower but we have also woken up to snow up there at the beginning of september especially in the higher drainages. Later in October and into November are pretty well a writeoff for that draw as the snow gets deep and it gets deep fast. We pulled in there thanksgiving for a moose draw one year and had 30cm of snow fall overnight. Ended up having to leave our trailer in there until the spring

All in all there is a healthy goat population throughout the valley and if you put in your time you should be able to track down a decent billy. One thing I can't stress enough is to think about your shot before you take it and where the goat will fall. Lots of horror stories of animals turned to soup because someone was too eager to shoot while the thing was standing above a 100 foot cliff. Shoot me a PM if you'd like and I will take a look at my map at where zone A is and see if I can't think of a road or trail that will put you into goats. Google earth is a helpful tool but some of the faces and mountains look a hell of a lot less steep than they actually are so If you can manage it I would try to do a weekend hiking/scouting trip in august.

Cheers,
Chris

wideopenthrottle
06-26-2017, 11:57 AM
this is a few neophyte comments but here is all the advice/planning I got on my first goat hunt....we are going to go up past most of the trees....we will go up until we start to cross the main goat trails going side hill around the peaks..when we get to the trail that scares the crap out of us we go back down 1 level and follow that trail around the mountain peak....we start on the south side as that is where you get the least amount of vegetation surviving summer drought and worked our way to the north side (that had trees and some snow).... be very careful crossing creek beds on the steep slopes especially with rocks and pebbles present....try not to look down too much.....good luck

decker9
06-26-2017, 01:14 PM
One more thing...bring a pair of good, broken-in, leather gloves. I don't know about the Flathead but every goat hunt I've been on I've managed to grab hold of Devil's club, rose bushes, or any other thorny plant that can grow in the area. It will save your hands for sure.

Solid advice!! You'll be glad you did.