PDA

View Full Version : Chetwynd *******s.

KodiakHntr
07-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Been working in Chetwynd off and on (one week on, one off) for July, and the same for August. Long story short, one of my buddies that I work with hauled his boat up from Mackenzie where we are supposed to be working (long story again) so we could do a little lake fishing. Got out one night last week, on Thursday, drug the boat back to town, parked it at the apartments where we are staying at 11:00pm, by 5:00am the 1975 Mercruiser 7.5 horse (mint, absolutely mint) was gone.
So if any of you local guys happens to hear of one for cheap, can you send me a pm or email or whatever, and we'll go deal some local justice and perhaps get his motor back?

Thanks a bunch.

mark
07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
That sucks, did you just park it and leave it unhooked? If so im not surprized they stole it!

Chuck
07-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Couple years ago, I left my fishing boat on its trailer with everything on or in it overnight, cuz I was too tired to put it away properly the evening before. About 3 am, the wife got up to go to the bathroom and happened to glance out the window at the boat, which was lit by the nearby street light. Here's a guy already unscrewing the motor from the transom. So she lets out a holler at the door and the guy takes off like a streak. I got up already and was miffed - had a chance to use my .410 and missed out. Bought a locking clamp from Cabelas soon after, and hide my stuff away properly so no one is tempted. I have noticed the shoppers who use the alley by day - looking.
Sorry about your bad luck!

Kechika
07-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Theives must die

Woodrow
07-24-2007, 09:20 PM
im sue when the coppers are done checking everyone for seatbelts they will get right on the missing motor case,I HOPE YOU CATCH THEM FIRST!

Guido02
07-24-2007, 09:33 PM
If you have any previous photos etc , can you post or e mail to me. I am in Chetwynd, Hudson Hope and Fort St John on a regular basis. I have many clients in each location who can keep an eye and ear open

Vossie
07-24-2007, 10:26 PM
*******s, this is exactly why I left Africa. I'm passing through chetwynd soon when Moose season opens. Will keep my eyes open.

mrdoog
07-25-2007, 02:50 AM
"Theives must die"
-Unfortunately in this country it will be of old age, because property crimes aren't important.
Even though the owner of this boat probably worked at least 2 weeks after taxes to pay it off.
Some low-life, meth smoking freak steals it, sells it to another low life for pennies on the dollar. He puts a "clean" plate on the trailer and takes his family out fishing.
Daddy brags to the kids about the "deal" he got, and the cycle continues.
Pi**es me off it does.
Then the cops turn around and blame us, the owners for not locking our doors, or spending money on anti-theft devices. Easy targets they say.
Screw that, keep your bloody hands off my stuff, ,,,
g'night.

hunter1947
07-25-2007, 03:46 AM
That sucks all right ,post some pic up hear on the forum if you have any.

Wildman
07-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Chain the motor to the boat next time......we all learn the hard way. That does suck and I'm sorry to hear it.

BearSniper
07-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Sorry about your boat:cry: It does piss one off.

But the real source of the problem is our right wing extremist Govt in Victoria.

6 years ago they closed 50 % of the jail beds in the provincial system and implemented " home based" incarceration. We have all seen what a disaster that is. So a petty thief will never see jail. Its a simple fact that a crook in jail can't steal- even if its only for a month.:evil:

All those jail beds were closed to "balance the budget", pay for the Olympics, and pave the Squamish highway. Now we're actually deeper in debt, the Vancouver convention center is 100% over budget, and crooks still roam the streets stealing.

By the way, B.C has the highest crime in the country and the lowest Police per citizen ratio as well. Now you know where law and order is on the Govt's priority list. Dont' get me wrong, I am a "conservative" individual, not a "slash and layoff , cut costs to the bone" neocon.

I took up hunting out of frustration because theres no open season on right wing extremist politicians:wink: ooops , can I say that ? I took up hunting because I love it

Gun Dog
07-25-2007, 08:49 AM
But the real source of the problem is our right wing extremist Govt in Victoria.
By the way, B.C has the highest crime in the country and the lowest Police per citizen ratio as well. Now you know where law and order is on the Govt's priority list. Dont' get me wrong, I am a "conservative" individual, not a "slash and layoff , cut costs to the bone" neocon.

Police staffing is determined by the individual city/town/municipality, not the Province. So complain to your local Mayer.

Criminal law (and sentencing) is Federal, not Provincial so complain to your local MP.

RCMP Constables all come from the RCMP Acadamy in Regina so if you want more of them, that's Federal too.

Macgregor
07-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I know a guy in Chetwynd that has lived there for years. I'll ask him if he's heard anything. Unfortunately, knowing a little bit about how these guys work, it,s probably long gone from Chetwynd by now. Keep your ears open in nearby cities as well.

BearSniper
07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Gun Dog

A couple of points of correction

The provcince controls the number of RCMP in the Provincially Policed areas not the municiplaities. Further, each time Surrey wants more cops , they have to ask Victoria first. The RCMP are under contract, to the Province first, and are not the "true" provincial police force as in Ontario and Quebec. And yes, complaining to my local MLA about law enfocement issues is fruitless.

Second, sentencing is NOT a federal issue. Most property crimes are, or used to be senteced to two years less a day, which means the Judge would send a guy to a provincial facility like Ford Mountain, not Matsqui. 2 years less a day are comforting words to a crook on sentencing.

True, theft is a criminal code federal offence, however, 2 choices of jails are available to the judge on sentence. That does not mean sentecing is "federal".

My point is, crooks get away with murder, literally, and stealing boat trailers, while law abiding hunters are persecuted for leaving ammo in glove boxes etc, or failing once to lock up a rifle.:(

In Alberta, the crook would get 6 months. I stand by my statement. Just look up Justice ministry stats on sentencing province by province, you'll see.

I feel bad for the honest guy whose boat was stolen. And I feel angry that in this province, no one is held to account. Thats all.

Gun Dog
07-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I guess a lot of BC are Regional Districts that are under Provincial control. But even Vancouver has a shortage of officers. (Maybe Vancouver is a poor example because they're a little strange.) But sentencing guidelines are still Federal even if the perp ends up in a BC facility. (BTW, a real criminal was on Bill Good a few weeks ago and he said a Federal prision was the best thing that ever happened to him. They have real drug rehab and real counselling programs and that's where he got his life in order. So you're right -- if the Province spent real money on rehab there would be less crime.)

I haven't heard a good reason why different provinces have different incarceration rates since they all work from the same guidelines. Maybe Alberta judges are more conservitive as a whole.

Frango
07-25-2007, 10:50 AM
We had a close call in Chetwynd as well.A couple of years ago we where to meet one of our hunting buds in Chetwnyd then head out to our normal spot.We where to meet him in the bar at the hotel.It was 10pm.We went in, met him and ordered a beer.I needed to get something from the truck.when I went out 2 guys where trying to unload one of the quads from our trailer.I yelled at them they took off nothing lost.Since then we try not to stop in Chetwynd.The quads where chain locked to the trailer,I think that helped.

BlacktailStalker
07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Oh man, If I caught somebody unloading my gear, I would knock them the f*ck out.
I hate pieces of sh*t that do this, even more so after recently losing a trail camera.
When I moved into my place, a week later a guy came over and told me to watch my boat motor, as he lost his not long ago.
So when I went to put an outboard lock on it, (it was already bolted through the transom) I noticed the sicaflex had been peeled away and the bolts were 3/4 unscrewed. Obviously someone already attempted to take it and got spooked.
A few days later somebody was in my back yard at 2 a.m so I opened up my door and let my doberman out. Well she can make the fence in 1.2 seconds and it took them 4 lol. I let her pin the guy for a minute while I lectured him and told him to tell his crack head buddies what's gonna happen if they are seen within 5 houses of mine. I think the conversation involved mentionings of a 45 gallon barrel and lime :)
That was 2 years ago and there hasnt been a problem since.
I have a motion sensor lock on my quad with 110 decibel alarm, trailer coupler locks etc etc.
You can never be too carefull. Yeah it costs money but the cost is 100 times that to replace anything and as we all know, inusurance is a joke when you need it.
Cops, are a waste of a phone call, secure EVERYTHING and within reason, carry out your own law enforcement.
I hope everyone who ever lost anything gets it back or at least has good fortune for the loss, and as for the crooks, well, what goes around comes around.

http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/
Best $200+/- you'll ever spend, especially if you stop over anywhere on hunting trips and have quads/trailers.
That 110db alarm is loud and with it you'll sleep better. Everybody knows that up north things go missing often and end up on some guys remote farm or in alberta to never be seen again.

oscar makonka
07-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Theoretically folks should be able to leave anything anywhere and nobody should bother it. Theoretically i should also be able to leave a stack of $1000 dollar bills laying in the driveway and if anyone touches it I should be able to blow their little heads off and sell them by the pound for dogfood.8)

BearSniper
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Stolen Boats and Cars

Yes its damn frustrating and a pain in the ass. :-? However its encouraging to read that good hunters and outdoorsmen would pass by an unprotected boat and leave it alone. That represents decent honesty which is lacking these days. The sad fact is we just can't trust as much as we used to.

I think we as hunters and outdoors people can do alot to set a good example and practice honesty and good ethics at all times.