PDA

View Full Version : taking the kid first sheep hunt

riflebuilder
07-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Me and my brother are taking our kids on thier first mountain hunt for sheep and goats. It should be the hunt of a life time and I hope that they get hooked for life. We are going up the tuchodi it should be great. All we need is a couple of big slow rams for the boys......

highcountry88
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Way to go on taking the kids...there is no life like it. I have taken my kids hunting since they could drag a gun through the bush.

Seems just like yesterday, my son nailed his first deer..now he is a Yukon sheep guide 150 miles north of Whitehorse, getting camp ready for another season of big Dall rams, moose and caribou.

This year HE is taking ME hunting....

Have a great hunt and let us all know how you did....

Timbow
07-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Awesome! That's one of my lifetime goal is to take my kids backpacking for sheep.

frenchbar
07-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Good luck with your trip with the boys riflebuilder,i also will be taking my 2 youngest sons with me on their first alpine muley hunt this fall starting sept 9th going to back pack in hopefuly we will have some pics to share with ya all of some moss when we return.

dana
07-24-2007, 10:46 PM
That's awesome. I hope to do my first sheep hunt with my kids. Figure that is when I'll make it a priority to get up North. Figure a family fly in hunt for sheep, moose and bou will be great when the kids are both in their teens. As for now, we'll be hitting some easy access alpine come the Sept 1st youth season and see if my 11 year old son can hammer a monster muley. :)

riflebuilder
07-25-2007, 12:15 PM
thanks guys I will be sure to post some ics of the boys and thier Rams.

Ramshot
07-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Good luck riflebuilder! Very good area for what your looking for. Would you be going up with Mr.Scott? We will be going up Tuchodi September for elk and maybe a round about trip for rams8) You will have a great experience.

riflebuilder
07-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes we are going with Guy Scott. He is a great guy

Ramshot
07-27-2007, 07:25 AM
I have known Guy for a long time. He took me up the Muskwa/Tuchodi in the mid 90's and got me hooked on jet-boating:-D You will have an awesome time with him. He's a great jet-boat skinner!

newhunterette
07-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Me and my brother are taking our kids on thier first mountain hunt for sheep and goats. It should be the hunt of a life time and I hope that they get hooked for life. We are going up the tuchodi it should be great. All we need is a couple of big slow rams for the boys......

have an awesome time - we took our oldest daughter on her first moose hunt a few years ago and was how she wanted to spend her 16th birthday - your enjoyment will be more seeing your sons faces - best of luck and straight shooting

Ali

Big Bucks
07-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Ramshot you still have your jet boat?

Ramshot
07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Yep:-D. Put a new impeller in her and she's good to go Sept 7 up Tuchodi. Can't wait to hear them bulls bugling.

Big Bucks
07-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Ramshot When you got your ram , who was on the trip with ya?

riflebuilder
07-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Days left the boys are driving me nuts

Ramshot
07-30-2007, 08:52 AM
BigBucks, been a few stones on them trips8) Which hunt you talking about? Send me a PM. Don't want to hijack thread.

riflebuilder
08-04-2007, 09:13 PM
12 days to go. New scope on the boys rifle, off to the range on Monday for another shooting session. The wife is ready to kill me as there is hunting gear all over the house. I know that no matter how many times I go over things something is going to be left behind. Got the boys eating oatmeal to get their systems in line. Wish us luck.

Brambles
08-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Whats getting them eating oatmeal going to do for them? Have'nt heard that one before!

riflebuilder
08-11-2007, 05:42 AM
Just heard from a friend who is taking us in that he saw 25 differnt rams in the secret spot. My boy is already saying he gets to shoot the big one and that he will let me just have a squeeker as I am too old to carry the big ram off the mountain. Of course he just upgraded his pack to now include the food and 15 lbs or salt hahaha

riflebuilder
08-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Great news the oldest son decided to join us on the trip so now it is 3 fisrt time sheep hunters and my brother. I couldnt care if I shot anything. Two weeks in the mountains with the boys is a dream come true. I can't believe how excited they are. Life is geat when you are in the hills. To have both of my boys with me is going to be great.

WoodOx
08-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Congrats rifle, I am sure youll have an awesome time.

Me and my Dad are going together with two others for 11 days of sheep on the 19th.. its both of our first sheep hunts

riflebuilder
08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks Agaucher , I hope you and your dad get a good ram just not as big as mine....Ok if its bigger i can live with that. Have a good time. Off to the range with the boys right now.

riflebuilder
08-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Leaving today. The boys were up to 1:30 talking about the Hunt. My brother and his son got here last night. this is going to be a geat trip even if we don't shoot anything.

Ramshot
08-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Have a good one riflebuilder! The jet-boat trip itself will have them boys jumping:mrgreen:. Say hello to Guy from Darrell in Kamloops! Can't wait to head up there:wink:. 21 days-8hrs-14min!

The Hermit
08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Way to go on taking the kids...there is no life like it. I have taken my kids hunting since they could drag a gun through the bush.

Seems just like yesterday, my son nailed his first deer..now he is a Yukon sheep guide 150 miles north of Whitehorse, getting camp ready for another season of big Dall rams, moose and caribou.

This year HE is taking ME hunting....

Have a great hunt and let us all know how you did....

Every father's dream... to have their kids grow up and out-do dad! Well done!

riflebuilder
08-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Just got back last night, everything is soaking wet. It was like hunting in Port Hardy in February. But we did see sheep. I had a chance at one ram but he was saved as the fog rolled in and when it cleared he was gone. The boys did great we walked their buts off and they only complained a little. My brother and his son were on one mountain and saw 5 rams headed down to the saddle that me and my boys were on. Well we weren't as we were only halfway across to the saddle looking at other sheepon top of the hill. By the time he got ahold of me one the radio the rams had already crossed the saddle it would of only been a 50yd shot at two legal Rams. but thats why we call it hunting. We hustled over but they were out of range. After that the rains came pounding back and we had to pull out. the concelation prize was my brother getting a good goat at the last minute.

daycort
08-29-2007, 02:26 PM
good job on the goat. yes it has been sh!ty up here the last 2 weeks but guess what. it is raining again today. i was going to venture into zipper lip creek for four days but i don't think i would get across the river now.