PDA

View Full Version : Moose Draw in Region 4-38

DarekG
06-16-2017, 07:01 PM
After years of trying my family finally got a group LEH draw for Moose in 4-38 specifically Zone D which looks like the mountains behind Revelstoke. To be clear I was entered into the draw as an afterthought this was mostly my Dad's and brother hope - Not to say I'm not excited, just that I have no idea what this hunt entails.

I'm trying to get familiar with the area and know what I should be prepared for. I've hunted the area before but for bear in the summer, never in October or November.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/limited-entry-hunting/zone-maps/region-4/moose_4-38_39_d_e_f.pdf

Looks like we'd be around:

Keystone Peak
Standard Peak
Carnes Peak - and Creek
La Forme Creek
Wesley Creek

The hunt is taking place hopefully in October but we have until the end of November. I looked up historical weather data and it seems like that region will have a fair bit of snow during that time? Can anyone recommend FSR's or other routes that would get access into the backwoods, or is it hiking only? How would an ATV do? What do the FSR's look like that time of year?

It looks like we might be close enough to retreat to a motel during the night so camping might not be an issue. (To be determined.)

Any information is greatly appreciated!

bruce0580
06-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Pm me.
Ill help you

walks with deer
06-16-2017, 08:21 PM
The moose hunt there was created for extermination.
There is still moose but eat your wheatys.do a scout trip and take two weeks

Fisher-Dude
06-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Yup, moose have been reduced in the area from >1600 to <300 to help with caribou recovery.

Still some there, just don't expect one around every corner. And be aware of the road closures, esp. Downie. Carnes is gated at 9 km for the mine.

DarekG
08-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know of cabins or other hunter-friendly accommodations in the area? Hoping there are a few as its so close to Revelstoke.