PDA

View Full Version : Bulkley and Skeena Rivers Closed

IronNoggin
06-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Recreational fishing closure announced on the Bulkley and Skeena rivers
http://www.mybulkleylakesnow.com/16473/recreational-fishing-closure-announced-bulkley-skeena-rivers-2/

Cheers,
Nog

elknut
06-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Well new the shit had to hit the fan sooner or later!....The past few years the Chinook fishing has been going downhill real bad ...Some locals say the June fishery was great but according to the test fishery he was full of shit!...Sockeye fishing was however very good and I cant see them closing that unless it falls of the page too..Watch out Kitimat! ....Looks like it will be the only fishery .....Dennis

S.W.A.T.
06-16-2017, 08:37 PM
I'm all for industry and I understand it would effect many lively hoods but maybe it's time to slow down on the commercial fishery

Whonnock Boy
06-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Maybe?......
I'm all for industry and I understand it would effect many lively hoods but maybe it's time to slow down on the commercial fishery

S.W.A.T.
06-16-2017, 08:53 PM
Us folks up north are dangerously close to seeing what is happening on the Fraser. It's sad,

06-16-2017, 09:04 PM
No surprise here, DFO and the federal politicians not giving a rats ass about our West Coast Salmon fishery and its management. Expect more and more of this, all over.

Duh?? What's happened to our fishery ?

Manage to Zero ........ That appears to be the goal and the lack of support for our wild fish, and the growth of the sickening fish farms up and down the coast.

Manage to Zero.

Caribou_lou
06-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Well, Chinook have been on the decline since the 90's. Just sad to see they are cutting back the resident rod anglers that do the least damage to the population. Still allowed to hit the river to catch and release steelhead and trout though...

dryflyguy57
06-19-2017, 07:30 AM
No surprise here, DFO and the federal politicians not giving a rats ass about our West Coast Salmon fishery and its management. Expect more and more of this, all over.

Duh?? What's happened to our fishery ?

Manage to Zero ........ That appears to be the goal and the lack of support for our wild fish, and the growth of the sickening fish farms up and down the coast.

Manage to Zero.
Exactly what DFO has planned. Divide and conquer with plenty of time to do it.

tubby
06-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Time to keep the FN off the river. If the runs are in that bad of shape everyone should be closed.
Same bullshit down here on the Fraser, except our runs are in far worse shape.
And still constant FN openings. Only a matter of time before both systems are netted to extinction!!!

303savage
07-09-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm all for native tradition rights. I am not for them using our technology. That means no firearms, nylon net, motorized transportation...

Surrey Boy
07-09-2017, 12:54 PM

As long as we share the Pacific with China, and the rivers with Indian Bands, we're doomed.

It's a Tragedy of the Commons, Diner's Dilemma.

Ride it out and take what you can.

markomoose
07-09-2017, 08:20 PM
I feel bad for the people up there who's business depends on fishing/fisherman.I think you will see more FOR SALE signs this season?

S.W.A.T.
07-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Bought a new fly set up yesterday, talking with the shop owner who I spend several dollars at every year was wondering why I haven't come in yet, says business is down 75%. Wondering how the guides are surviving

Whonnock Boy
07-09-2017, 08:57 PM
This too will be blamed on the NDP. It's meant to be a joke, but not really.....

boxhitch
07-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Did anyone take time find out the reasoning by DFO?

Dear Members,

On June 15, 2017, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) arbitrarily closed the Skeena River to recreational salmon fishing, while allowing ocean harvest and First Nations fisheries. Originally DFO had advised that Skeena closures would be due to low salmon abundance.

On June 23 the DFO informed Vancouver Sun reporter Gordon Hoegstra that the fisheries were closed due to potential conflict between First Nations fishing nets and recreational anglers.

Please add your voice using this draft letter to the Minister calling for fair treatment for resident food fisheries. The Federation calls on Minister LeBlanc to reserve this decision and retain fair access to the resource for all Canadians. We will continue to stand up for the rights of resident anglers to fish for food.
Download the letter here. (http://bcwf.net/images/stories/Committee/Fisheries/Tidal_Waters_Fisheries/2017memberletterskeenariver.pdf)

S.W.A.T.
07-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Did anyone take time find out the reasoning by DFO?

Low return,

River opened on Saturday though

elknut
07-19-2017, 01:06 PM
If anyone gets Noel Gygers emails you can access lots of information ...Some of which is the current and past test fisheries.....These show a very disturbing low number of fish returning to the Skeena River..Any idiot can see that the fishery is in trouble..Causes are many ....too many to list or argue about but ...Don't count on good fishing for awhile ...Dennis

Rupert Retired
07-19-2017, 03:43 PM
DFO management is not the issue. Global warming contributing to declining salmon runs - what can they do? Also, closing ocean fisheries (where in a lot of cases only a very small percentage of the catch may be heading for the river in trouble) might make you feel good, but it doesn't get the job done, and causes all kinds of disruption to the ocean fishery, including all three sectors.