PDA

View Full Version : Canned hunts?

IslandWanderer
06-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Anyone here willing to admit to trying a canned hunt like the ones for pheasants or boars? It's certainly not hunting, but it seems like a step up from buying meat at the grocery store.

leadpillproductions
06-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Id was thinking of doing a pheasant (hunt) lol

IslandWanderer
06-15-2017, 07:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I feel mildly ashamed just considering it, Lol.

Rhyno
06-15-2017, 07:23 PM
I use to do it a fair bit for pheasant in Ontario when I was younger, fun but not truely hunting IMO.

IslandWanderer
06-15-2017, 07:26 PM
I use to do it a fair bit for pheasant in Ontario when I was younger, fun but not truely hunting IMO.

I agree with you. I'm considering it only because my 8 yo son just started hunting last fall and I thought a pheasant trip might be good. I'm not sure it sends the right message though.

Surrey Boy
06-15-2017, 07:28 PM
I go on a canned hunt every Saturday. My neighbour feeds his Schedule C rabbits, releases them into my yard, and I hunt them.

One day my wife will have uneaten strawberries . . .

leadpillproductions
06-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Still be fun to shoot a lot of birds lol

Glenny
06-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Would like to do pheasant but I hear its super expensive. I would call it hunting cause you still have to knockem outta the air.

Ohwildwon
06-15-2017, 08:44 PM
Head over to the southern part of Sidney Island and fill your boots with Fallow Deer..

Landed there as a new young pilot in my early twenties, subsequently kicked off the private "stocked" fallow deer canned hunt...

Not without watching 100+ deer leeping through tall grass, through a large meadow, in the middle of summer!..

Felt like I was in Africa :smile:

By the way, there was a beautiful Beech Bonanza from the states..

Abandoned at the end of the grass runway, having landed with its wheels up!

FYI early 90's..

Squamch
06-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Head over to the southern part of Sidney Island and fill your boots with Fallow Deer..

Landed there as a new young pilot in my early twenties, subsequently kicked off the private "stocked" fallow deer canned hunt...

Not without watching 100+ deer leeping through tall grass, through a large meadow, in the middle of summer!..

Felt like I was in Africa :smile:

By the way, there was a beautiful Beech Bonanza from the states..

Abandoned at the end of the grass runway, having landed with its wheels up!

FYI early 90's..

Do you happen to know the property owner? It's all Indian of private land there now...no more LEH.

IslandWanderer
06-15-2017, 09:25 PM
I wish I could hunt fallow, but I think it's all private now.

allan
06-15-2017, 09:49 PM
I go on a canned hunt every Saturday. My neighbour feeds his Schedule C rabbits, releases them into my yard, and I hunt them.

awesome, just awesome !!

steel_ram
06-15-2017, 09:52 PM
I've been invited on a few pheasant "farm" shoots. If you don't have a good dog your not going to get any pheasants. You have a good dog and you'll get more birds than you put out.

RiverOtter
06-15-2017, 09:55 PM
As long as you call it what it is and it isn't detrimental to wild populations, I don't have an issue with it.

Gateholio
06-15-2017, 10:20 PM
A number of years ago I went with a bunch of friends to a ranch in Ontario to hunt wild boars with arrows and spears. It was really fun.Ultimately the boars couldn't run off the ranch due to the fence, but it's not like it was shooting livestock. (I've done lots of that, too) The boars ran, hid, we chased, set up ambushes and drives...Two days of pretty hard work and fun and the reward was some excellent free range boar meat. No regrets at all,it was fun and we weren't pretending we were that we were doing something something that we weren't.

shortrange
06-15-2017, 11:32 PM
A number of years ago I went with a bunch of friends to a ranch in Ontario to hunt wild boars with arrows and spears. It was really fun.Ultimately the boars couldn't run off the ranch due to the fence, but it's not like it was shooting livestock. (I've done lots of that, too) The boars ran, hid, we chased, set up ambushes and drives...Two days of pretty hard work and fun and the reward was some excellent free range boar meat.

I was in Texas a couple of weeks ago doing a boar hunt. It was a blast and you really had to hunt for the boars. I got some nice meat and will go back for more next year.

Argus
06-16-2017, 09:15 AM
I've done both a pheasant hunt and a boar hunt in the last couple years. I felt ambivalent about both afterwards, but my kid absolutely loved it. (Breaded pheasant fingers and brined/smoked boar ham assuaged my feelings of guilt.)

PM me if you'd like more details about either hunt.

IslandWanderer
06-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Awesome feedback as always guys! Thanks.

John

wideopenthrottle
06-16-2017, 10:58 PM

that was awesome surreyboy..i laughed hard.....got any good meals out them thar varmits