PDA

View Full Version : Syringa Park Sheep Tag!

44magman
06-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Hey guys, my wife got drawn for the Syringa Park sheep tag. We just moved to Castlegar 2 weeks ago and do not know the area at all. If anyone is willing to share some info I would greatly appreciate it. With such low odds we are going to work hard and at least put a solid effort in as we will never see a tag like this again!!

Thanks in advance,

Brez
06-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Lucky you! Damned newbies anyway! lol.
Well you got 90 days and it's minutes away. LOTS of miles ahead of you. You can follow them to the tops of the mountains and find where they go for Sept. I hear there haven't many seen over the winter and through the spring. They can be pretty much anywhere. by opening day. I'm not familiar enough with the area to be of any help to you but just put lots of miles on. I will see if them that know will share, though.

Canadian Dad
06-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Wow you are lucky. I have seen many rams in the summer but have heard they disappear higher up when hunting season starts.
A huge advantage is to scout or spot with a boat in Arrow lake. During hunting season this could make life a little easier as the climb is nicer when you have an inkling there is something up there.

44magman
06-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys!

J_T
06-16-2017, 01:06 PM
I think you had best look quick and keep asking Ministry wildlife biologists for information. The Ministry is proposing to close that LEH down, as they don't believe there is much of a herd left there. Only 12 animals observed last winter.

Ride Red
06-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Get out in a boat and view the mountainside from the lake. Beautiful steep country only minutes from town. Order a pizza and have it delivered to the dam for pickup Lol.

Brez
06-16-2017, 08:40 PM
I think you had best look quick and keep asking Ministry wildlife biologists for information. The Ministry is proposing to close that LEH down, as they don't believe there is much of a herd left there. Only 12 animals observed last winter.
My friends have been going that way all winter and that's the number they have too.

Shortmag300
06-18-2017, 10:56 PM
My son saw 23 today dirt biking one of them was a full curl there's hope for your wife yet.

44magman
06-19-2017, 07:43 AM
That's wonderful news!!

VLD43
06-19-2017, 08:48 PM
44 Magnum
I took a really nice Full Curl Ram in Syringa in 2009. I contacted the local CO up there, and he was quit helpful and very friendly. If you are scouting up there, I am told there is a quad trail on the south side of the lower arm of Arrow lake. You can glass across the lake to where you will be hunting. There is a haul road off broadwater road just past the dam, that will take you up to the local gun club. I was told that rams hang around that area up in the rocks. I saw rams right down in the residential area on broadwater rd and all the way up to deer park. I had heard the marina area was a good place to see sheep, but never saw any there myself. The topography in that area is steep, but not to difficult, but be careful as there are some pretty steep and dangerous canyons or creek beds. Just keep your wits about you and be careful when walking on all the pine needles. They can be slippery on the steeper slopes. I tried backpack hunting for a while up there, but found, the foilage was to dense. The sheep tend to feed across the slopes, and come down to the lake and feed along the shoreline sometimes. I found the most productive way to hunt that area was to spot and stock from off the road. While this is not the most exciting way to hunt sheep, it did surely work for me. If I have missed something, or you have any further questions please feel free to "PM" me, and I will do my best to help you. Good luck with your draw. Be persistent and hopefully you will succeed.

44magman
06-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Thanks VLD43!!

VLD43
06-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Thanks VLD43!!

Your Welcome & good luck. We will expect a riveting story later this year.

scottwh
06-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Sad to see the sheep numbers dropping there. I lived there for 2years around 2003 and seen tons of sheep in there! Good luck with the draw!