PDA

View Full Version : Hunting squirrels with pellet gun, do I need license? Can I hunt anytime?

BackdoorAlex
06-11-2017, 09:39 PM
I'm brand new to hunting, I spend a lot of time in the woods where I always see grey squirrels running around. I figure they would make a nice tasty meal and I could pick them off clean with my pellet gun.

I'm wondering if I require a hunting license and if I can hunt them all year. The pellet gun is under 495 fps and doesn't require a gun license.

I also read somewhere that hunting with a pellet pistol is not allowed. I have a crossman 1322 pistol where I added a stock, is it still classified as a pistol? (Picture attached)

http://imgur.com/P1m5oHD

Thanks

brian
06-11-2017, 10:58 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland/wildlife/species/species_lists.htm#third

Grey Squirrels are Schedule C animals (invasive non-native species) which means you can hunt them anywhere, anytime, any method (as long as it is not breaking any other law like a no shooting bylaw or using landmines), no license required. If your sub 500 fps air rifle can kill quickly then go for it. Just make sure you are killing the grey squirrels and not the black squirrels.

Here is what the hunting regs define a pistol as

Handgun – is a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm (12 in.) in length.

So you are out of luck if your Crossman has a barrel shorter than 12" (measured by the barrel end to the bolt face... or whatever is at the base of the chamber in a air rifle).

Steeleco
06-12-2017, 05:21 AM
You also need to know your local bylaws. If those woods are in city/town limits you may not be allowed to hunt with anything.

E.B.
06-12-2017, 06:42 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland/wildlife/species/species_lists.htm#third

Grey Squirrels are Schedule C animals (invasive non-native species) which means you can hunt them anywhere, anytime, any method (as long as it is not breaking any other law like a no shooting bylaw or using landmines), no license required. If your sub 500 fps air rifle can kill quickly then go for it. Just make sure you are killing the grey squirrels and not the black squirrels.

Here is what the hunting regs define a pistol as

So you are out of luck if your Crossman has a barrel shorter than 12" (measured by the barrel end to the bolt face... or whatever is at the base of the chamber in a air rifle).

Black or grey squirrels are both variations of the eastern grey squirrel. Sub 500 fps is really marginal power and usually is only around 450 fps. Manufactures exaggerate fps and want to be on the safe side of the law. Squirrels are tough and not that easy to kill will minimum power. No license required but by-laws may apply.

caddisguy
06-12-2017, 07:04 AM
Keep in mind, you can't differentiate Grey squirrels and Douglas squirrels based on color.

Grey squirrels are very large (ugly IMHO) bushy tailed squirrels that move fairly slowly and awkwardly. They are typically found in city parks where there are few predators and they displace the native Douglas squirrels (also grey in color) and raid bird nests.

Douglas squirrels (again, also grey) are what you will commonly see in the bush around Region 2.

I spend 60+ days/nights a year in the bush in Region 2 and have yet to see a Grey squirrel (only Douglas) I do not think they hold up well in areas with predators (bobcats, lynx, cougars, owls and other birds of prey) as they are quite large, slow and akward. I see them all the time in city forests (or other greenspaces)

I am not saying they doesn't exist outside municipal areas, but it would be quite rare.

Be sure to know the difference between Grey squirrels (large, ugly, slow akward moving, grey or black) squirrels and Douglas (small, stealthy, moody) squirrels.

Jelvis
06-12-2017, 07:07 AM
I'm thinkin trapping wood cover squirrels for the pelts but hey I hunted squirrels as a kid way back.
-- don't think it's as simple as people think to shoot a squirrel now.
Check trapping regs.
Jel -- good luck finding the answer.