PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunters...???

bigwhiteys
07-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Where are all the "I'm about to head out..." threads from the Sheep hunters... We've got just over a week until the opener!

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/rams1.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/rams2.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/rams3.jpg
http://www.bchuntingblog.com/mypics/rams4.jpg

Good Luck All!

Carl

Gateholio
07-23-2007, 09:22 PM
No sheep hunting for me this year..We are very short staffed and no way I can get away until September sometime....

Even had a good offer, too! :(

Stone Sheep Steve
07-23-2007, 09:25 PM
I've had to pull out of my planned early season sheep hunt. I didn't realize it conflicted with the big opener for Snowshoe Hares:(.....................:-|.

SSS

mark
07-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Looking at them pics makes me feel like a loooser for not going! I just dont know where to start? I sure wouldnt pass up an invite from an experienced sheep hunter! (hint, hint). I presume your heading out soon Carl??

Kitimat Killer
07-23-2007, 09:30 PM
im headed out for stones on the 30th of july can't waight:-D

Stone Sheep Steve
07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
im headed out for stones on the 30th of july can't waight:-D

Planning on getting to "half slam" status in one season??8)8)

SSS

Kitimat Killer
07-23-2007, 09:34 PM
oh ya man im going to give it a try why not never think im going to get this chance again in my life time:mrgreen:

bigwhiteys
07-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I presume your heading out soon Carl??

Nope not for the opener... I've got a wedding and a move to go through in August, so it's going to be a later season hunt for me...

Carl

bearheart
07-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Good Luck!!!! Carl

7 mag
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Of coarse there are those of use that got screwed on the Spatz wash out this year, No sour grapes.
We'll just hammer a thumper at home i guess.

Kitimat Killer
07-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Of coarse there are those of use that got screwed on the Spatz wash out this year, No sour grapes.
We'll just hammer a thumper at home i guess.
ya im going to find out about the spats road when i go up cuz thats my moose hunting spot plus my dad's got grizz up there i'll let you guys know when i get back

bcmulie
07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Sadly, no trip up north for me this year...new job with not enough vacation time to do all the hunting I want to do. Good luck to everyone who's able to make it up there.

bcmulie

livingston
07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Awesome pictures of some beautiful animals!!

September can't come fast enough, I sure am getting excited to go seeing what I might be in store for.

I sure wouldnt pass up an invite from an experienced sheep hunter! (hint, hint). I presume your heading out soon Carl??

I couldn't pass on the invite it's going to be my first sheep hunt and my first backpack hunt in years.

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts, I have been packing and unpacking my gear once or twice a week going through it all and checking it, trying out my headlamp around the house, putting my rifle on the pack for fit etc...:mrgreen:

Kitimat Killer
07-23-2007, 10:47 PM

September can't come fast enough, I sure am getting excited to go seeing what I might be in store for.

I couldn't pass on the invite it's going to be my first sheep hunt and my first backpack hunt in years.

My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts, I have been packing and unpacking my gear once or twice a week going through it all and checking it, trying out my headlamp around the house, putting my rifle on the pack for fit etc...:mrgreen:
i know im doing the same here haha thatswhat i did today and tomorrow set my tent up to let dry out before the trip man im so pumped for the trip but im really waighting for the big horn hunt in november

WoodOx
07-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Sounds like lots of fun guys.

University conflict for me, so my party is flyin out on the 18th of August.

Quite excited - lots of training, haven't packed my backpack yet though.

hitch
07-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Nice photos Carl!

I'm headed out this Sunday for 2 weeks. Can't wait! I'm raring to get up there. Hoping for decent weather and big heavy curls!:twisted:

Mitch

bigwhiteys
07-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Good Luck Mitch! Fly-in? Riverboat? Hike? Horses?

Carl

Fisher-Dude
07-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Good luck to all the early birds! I have to wait - going for Rockies/elk/goats later. I'll live vicariously through those that head up for the Aug 1 opener! :-D

Shade Tree
07-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I am going at the end of Sept. up the Muskwa. I hope the weather breaks up north for you early Aug. backpackers, good luck to all you guys!

newhunterette
07-24-2007, 09:58 AM
No sheep hunt for me however the hubby is heading out later in august for his sheep hunt - sometimes I have to push that man to go - I tell him work will be here when you get home but you only live life once and to enjoy what you enjoy doing now get packing :)

Good luck to all those who are going

Ali

srupp
07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Well after the tremendous spring we had with the world record grizzly bear MONSTER..Tim and I head out for STONE SHEEP and goats on Saturday...

I want to thank all those that e-mailed and called me during my "fit" with Spatsizzi..its difficult to let 2 STONE SHEEP LEH TAGS PLUS A GOAT LEH PLUS A CARIBOU LEH JUST GO UNUSED but thats the way it goes this year, it was not a good deal for us.

We have found a spot no where near Spatsizzi and we are flying in for 20 days...
So in the past 3 years we have 2 animals WAY UP THE b&c WORLD ALLTIME RECORDF BOOK..:mrgreen:caribou and grizzly.

I am sorry and apologize for my whining...I am not known for that..however dreams die hard..and it was tough walking away from a 25 year dream.

SO we will see what we see..I will take some video and some photos..as we dont anticipate anyone in where we are going.
Again THANK YOU for all the encouragment hopefully this my 7th stone sheep hunt will be charmed..

Steven Rupp

Bman
07-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Those pics are sure to get the sheep fever running high! I leave Sept 6th for my sheep trip... but might take a look see for a Mt. Goat next week since I am will be in the area and the LEH draw date opens Aug 1st.

Mik
07-24-2007, 11:24 AM
ya im going to find out about the spats road when i go up cuz thats my moose hunting spot plus my dad's got grizz up there i'll let you guys know when i get back
When are ya headed up?
Never mind, I see your previous post...July 30

Sieg-MM
07-24-2007, 12:36 PM
I think I'm getting more and more excited by the minute! Leaving on July 27. Three more sleeps and I'll be living the dream. Should put us in our spot a few days early to glass.

We have quite the line up of hunters....4 rookie sheep hunters :-D Should make things really interesting. I have lots of confendence in the group... pently of desire. There's no going half way. Good luck to everyone.

one-shot-wonder
07-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Good luck Sieg-MM, you guys will have a blast no doubt!

Shoot the one I never did last year.....:cry:

No northern trip for me this year it looks like I will be chasing southern sheep instead, they are cooler anyways! :cool: It sure would be nice to start my hunting season this up coming month but I will have to wait like the rest of us down here!

SHAKER
07-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Leaving on the 27th. .300 win mag driving tacks, pack loaded for the 8th time, and the tidy tank is in the back of the truck full of fuel. Oh yeah, It's time for the horrible July to end and get back to hunt'n. :twisted:

one-shot-wonder
07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
and the tidy tank is in the back of the truck full of fuel.

Planning on road hunting for sheep?:wink:

You're not alone I know of one other guy on here that will be sheep hunting from a Duramax....:mrgreen:

270WIN
07-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Good i am not the only guy doing that i thought i had an adiction or somthing wopps wait i do.
well as you all now sheep for me this year but look farward to all the pictures and stories.

hitch
07-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm hiking in off the highway, Carl. Have a little spot picked out. We'll see how it goes.

How about yourself, what's your mode of transport?

Mitch

BCrams
07-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Count down has come to the final few days and then off sheep hunting! Have a great hunt everyone!

77hunt
07-24-2007, 10:51 PM
will be on the road in a couple of days for my first stone backpack hunt!!!
packed and repacked way to much lately almost go time!!
most likely have packed too much gear be got the pack weighing in at 57 lbs then add the rifle. tough sleeping these days in hopes of a good ram
later and good luck

bigwhiteys
07-24-2007, 10:57 PM
most likely have packed too much gear be got the pack weighing in at 57 lbs then add the rifle. tough sleeping these days in hopes of a good ram later and good luck

57 lbs + rifle isn't really that bad... I am at 57lbs W/Rifle and Gear for 10 days. Make sure you keep track of what you actually USE and don't use... That could make the difference in your packweight for next time. I always brought too many clothes only to find I wasn't wearing them.

Good Luck!

Carl

Fisher-Dude
07-24-2007, 11:07 PM

You're not alone I know of one other guy on here that will be sheep hunting from a Duramax....:mrgreen:

:roll: You own a Duramax One Shit - remember to get her in park so the doors unlock when that ram runs across the road! :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
07-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Won't be making 'er up in August- too much other stuff on the go now.

Guess that just means more for the other lucky folks who get to head out and pound bush for Stone's next month.:wink:

mwj
07-24-2007, 11:27 PM
wow awesome pic's carl. self employed and don't think i can get away till about mid aug. but rest assured i'm out there. my "missing ram'" was the completion of my b.c. slam. tried for another dall tag this year but no luck. best of luck to all those sheep hunters out there .(you will never get a big one if you shoot the first one you see)

Deaddog
07-25-2007, 06:16 AM
I am waiting until BC Rams pushes all the big rams off those high steep peaks, We are going in on the 16th for ten days to hunt the rams in the valley bottoms... Thanks Rams!!!

srupp
07-25-2007, 11:13 AM
great BCRAMS..push em all the way to THE POND I wont have to even leave the shack...

Steven

harbinger
07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
:)Got my velcro gloves and rubber gum boots, I'm good to go for Aug 1!

hitch
07-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Harbinger,
I hear your going just to be a packer. Pretty nice hunting partner!!:twisted:

Mitch

harbinger
07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Small price to pay for the snoring... :twisted: Ilooked into surgery and you can't just go get it done, you have to have sleep apnia.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I am waiting until BC Rams pushes all the big rams off those high steep peaks, We are going in on the 16th for ten days to hunt the rams in the valley bottoms... Thanks Rams!!!

Looks like I'll head back to the top after you guys push them back up. Not heading in until Aug 20th. The rams should be nice and tired by then! Thanks DD!!:-D

SSS

Ramshot
07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
No stones for me this year. Got a date with the Rocky mtn Bighorn we could not get on last year:) Plus my cousin who got a mature full curl ram in Spences Bridge with me a few yrs back drew the South Thompson sheep permit8). Gotta tie one up for him Nov 1 opener! Should be a fun season.

SHAKER
07-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Well best of luck to him, How are you going to cover up your noisy walk'n with a diesle motor you can't hear???? Not mention leaving a day early cuse ya just have the power to make it up the hills!:mrgreen:

Cummins power baby!:twisted:

Unfortunatly the boat we're going up in will probably have a Chev in it. But hey sometimes you just have to let the bow tie motor do a little work.!

I'll call you about that sled when I get home!

scuba
07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
not going til mid september, stone sheep, goat and grizzly. fly-in 17 days.

Smokepole
07-25-2007, 11:26 PM
:)8 more days till we leave on our hunt. Maybe I should start training:rolleyes:

mooseknuckler
07-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Looks like I'll head back to the top after you guys push them back up. Not heading in until Aug 20th. The rams should be nice and tired by then! Thanks DD!!:-D

SSS

Well I'm not leaving until August 31st, so I'll be looking for left-overs!

srupp
07-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Hmmm weighed all my gear for the flight in..59 pounds thats my pack rifle tent sleeping gear everything including clothes ..sheesh by hunts end IF no sheep ill be eating the tin foil pouches the freeze dried food came in..the sparks off my fillings creates quite a nite light show...

not all this will need to be carried daily some will be left at "base " camp and we will go out to a second tent "spike "camp for 3-4 days in different directions
Steven

Leaseman
07-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Sounds like a lot of you are going to be having some trips of a lifetime...
Bring us back lots of pics and good huntin'

Mike
8)

hunter1947
07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
57 lbs + rifle isn't really that bad... I am at 57lbs W/Rifle and Gear for 10 days. Make sure you keep track of what you actually USE and don't use... That could make the difference in your packweight for next time. I always brought too many clothes only to find I wasn't wearing them.

Good Luck!

Carl Carl i went up mt finlayson to the top with 30 pounds in my back pack ,i had to stop 5 times for about 3 min each time ,but i made it up there in 1hr ,it was a tough grind ,:icon_frow. You are in good shape to make it up there and back down in 1,1/2hr with 57 pounds in your pack.

srupp
07-26-2007, 05:24 PM
From Prince George to Fort Nelson steady legal highway speed..no stops how long /how far..thank you..

Steven

bigwhiteys
07-26-2007, 05:49 PM
From Prince George to Fort Nelson steady legal highway speed..no stops how long /how far..thank you..

10 hours.

Carl

frenchbar
07-26-2007, 05:50 PM
not sure how far it is. but it takes roughly 7.5 hrs from prince to ft nelson.

Krico
07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Steven,

It's just over 800km. At legal speeds with a few stops for fuel, food, restroom breaks you will be 9-10 hours. If you haul a$$, you can get there in under 8 hours. From WL I would expect it to be a 12 hour drive if you don't wish to risk a speeding ticket.
Cheers, and good luck!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-26-2007, 06:11 PM

Steven

Make sure you cut through Hudson's Hope to drool on those mulies8). Shaves off some time as well.

SSS

hunter1947
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
George is the halfway point from Vancouver to Nelson ,20hr overall.

bigwhiteys
07-26-2007, 07:19 PM
If you are on a mission, going straight through and want to do it in that one day, Go straight through Chetwynd and take the Braden Rd or the 237 Rd. which come up on your left (braden is before kiskatinaw 237 is AFTER), with either choice you'll bypass Dawson Creek and it saves you 1/2hr - 45mins. It's much faster then going Hudsons Hope, but not as scenic.

Carl

srupp
07-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks all....
One last nite shift and then no more lights and sirens and emergency medicine and such then the REAL excitement starts...

steven

mark
07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I take it the leg is feeling better?? Smack a big one Steve! :biggrin:

srupp
07-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks Markk..no leg is still somewhat numb..:cry:however as they say.."better life through judicious use of parmacudicals"I only have this year and "maybe " next before knee replacement so..I will never harvest my STONER sitting on a couch having a pitty party..."GET ER DONE" :mrgreen:

steven

hitch
07-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Just finishing my last night shift as well Steven and then no more lights and sirens for me either. Headed out Sunday morn. with Harbinger(packer). Looking for that elusive 40" er!

good luck, all you sheep hunters!

Mitch

harbinger
07-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Yo Hitch,
Steve's lights and sirens are from an ambulance, not from the "guys" you party with. Is that what the "boys" are calling it now? "night shift?":-|

Packer (not that kind):-D

srupp
07-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I was doing my LAST CHORE before we leave at 6am...and that was the gun range fired a couple rounds everything looked perfect when I glanced down range at MOVEMENT!!! MOVEMENT ON ANY GUN RANGE IS NOT GOOD.. and there was a good sized black bear walking accross the gun range shooting alley at about 200 yards....hmmm now was that rifle REALLY sited in for dead on @ 200???? lol that was on a very hot day at 1:31 this afternoon..what a great gun range they even have moving targets...lmao..

Steven