PDA

View Full Version : Side by side shopping.

Rotorwash
06-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Ive been wanting a side by side for a while now and I think I might just buy one.

But which one to buy...

Ive looked at the canam commanders and the polaris rangers and rzrs. is there other units I should be looking at?

Im shopping below the 15k mark and want something thats going to take a beating well , be easy to maintain.

any advice?

palmer
06-10-2017, 11:42 AM
I have a Yamaha Viking, two years now and its been great. Its great for hunting but not a race machine. I like the three up front seating, lots of room

tipper
06-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Commanders are nice but outdated with shitty clutching and gearing. Polaris has been building pretty junky stuff the last few years so I would stay away from them
Like the above mentioned the Vikings are nice but noisy and single cylinder.
Demo a can am defender xt if you want a ranger type bike but built way better.

moosinaround
06-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Honda!!!!!

tipper
06-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Honda!!!!!

Do your research before you consider a Honda lol

David
06-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Honda!!!!!

I've never had the success with Honda ATVs that everyone else has had... every single one I've owned has had transmission issues. EVERY. SINGLE.ONE.

Having said that, there are two good things about Honda:
1) Fuel Mileage
2) Since Yamaha no longer makes the Rhino, I believe Honda has the narrowest SXS with a dump bed. Both things I really want when hunting (bed for game, narrow width to get down cut lines). Of course in their narrowest offering, the 4x4 system isn't that advanced.

If it were me, I'd look for a minty used Yamaha Rhino.

Me.

PS
The above is based on ATV experience of me moving from Hondas to Yamahas and my Dad sticking with Honda. I go places he can't, with a transmission that actually works but I also use about 25% more fuel with the same size engine (not a typo).

Island Idiots
06-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Honda pioneer 500

srupp
06-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Hmm never been stranded in a Honda in 30 years.non was a side by side..seen the best tricked out amazing side by side Honda..$50,000..!,!
Good luck
Steven

S.W.A.T.
06-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Commanders are nice but outdated with shitty clutching and gearing. Polaris has been building pretty junky stuff the last few years so I would stay away from them
Like the above mentioned the Vikings are nice but noisy and single cylinder.
Demo a can am defender xt if you want a ranger type bike but built way better.

Hard to fathom Polaris building junkie stuff when they are clearly the leader in the industry. We have two rangers, a 800 crew that will go just about anywhere, now fast but will get you there, and a ranger xp1000, more comfortable, faster and more power. I wouldn't consider anything other then a ranger especially as a hunting buggy. Can carry good weight and lots of gear and the sky is the limit when it comes to options

JDR
06-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Keep in mind if you will be using it to hunt up north at all, some of the ATV corridors have weight restrictions. Used to be 500 kg, not sure if it still is.

S.W.A.T.
06-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Keep in mind if you will be using it to hunt up north at all, some of the ATV corridors have weight restrictions. Used to be 500 kg, not sure if it still is.

Where is this found?

If your in the market I would suggest finding a friend with one, regardless of brand figure out what you want, what you like and what want. Keep in mind for the money you can get a pretty good Toyota

JDR
06-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Where is this found?

http://www.muskwa-kechika.com/management-area/access-management contains the following zip file with routes:

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/tasb/slrp/lrmp/fortstjohn/muskwa/maps/access_routes_legal.zip

AgSilver
06-10-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm super interested in a 50" SxS too. If only I could convince my wife of the benefits.

Best I can tell, the candidates are (in no particular order):

Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail
CFMoto ZForce 500 HO or 800 Trail
Honda Pioneer 500
Polaris (a couple of models I think)

any others?

KodiakHntr
06-10-2017, 09:22 PM
We use the honda 500's at work. Kind of a POS really. Under powered, no box, 5 speed tranny with hand flipper shifting, no low range...

S.W.A.T.
06-10-2017, 10:42 PM
I'm super interested in a 50" SxS too. If only I could convince my wife of the benefits.

Best I can tell, the candidates are (in no particular order):

Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail
CFMoto ZForce 500 HO or 800 Trail
Honda Pioneer 500
Polaris (a couple of models I think)

any others?

Honestly I would steer clear of the Moto and the Honda.

We tried the Honda's out under a few different conditions and for the money you can do better. There is a reason the Moto is cheaper.

Bang for the buck you can't go wrong with the big 3, Polaris, Arctic cat or can-am. If you don't over abuse them they last and hold their value more so then most "toys". Some brands more so then others. Like anything else they all have the good, bad and ugly pro's and cons. Something to consider is size, family size and hp. Bigger machines require trailers but the more sporty machines that fit in the truck box don't have the box or payload capacity.

I'm particular to Polaris machine's as we have two and work them daily. Use them on the farm, trail riding and hunting and fishing trips. Our models aren't racers or jumpers but we got everywhere the sport models do, just not as fast. But half the time those guys are waiting for us anyway because we pack the chainsaw​, air compressor, axe, tool kit, cooler, firewood, boat etc.

New Bow Hunter
06-11-2017, 03:54 AM
My suggestion would be to contact a local ATV and pick the members brains. Some of the members put their machines through some extreme situations. They will give you the best information.

We purchased a Yamaha Rhino three years ago with 30 hours on it. We have taken it to some rough places.
As stated there is a lot of engine noise and I wish it was a twin cylinder instead of a single.
Find an independent ATV mechanic and get there advice.

PM me and I'll send you a number of the mechanic we have used.

Ferenc
06-11-2017, 04:30 AM
Keep in mind the ranger has a bench seat,so you'll have to hang on a bit tighter during the fear factor times you may encounter... as opposed to some of the other sxs...overall having the opportunity of riding in one... its quiet,cooler weather I was a lot warmer... engine heat....stayed also a bit cleaner overall from the mud slinging also.

browningboy
06-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Polaris, never had an issue, all my buddies have been fine

albravo2
06-11-2017, 07:59 AM
I've had a Yamaha Rhino for about 6 years now. Very reliable, tough and capable.

It is noisy from inside because the engine is right there, but I find they aren't that loud from the outside. I rigged a windshield and heater for mine. Waaayyy more comfortable than a quad, and the dump box is pretty handy.

S.W.A.T.
06-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Check out www.snowandmud.com for chats, forums and general discussion about anything really. Lots of fellow minded folks there and good information that could possibly help you make your decision.
Cheers

blackhawk19
06-11-2017, 08:20 AM
I have a Polaris Ranger . 2 years old, use it for hunting and use it every day on the farm . Not a problem . Had a Yamaha Rhino before and the ranger is twice the machine

Frango
06-11-2017, 08:22 AM
A friend of mine just bought a Honda 1000. That machine is awesome. Crazy power, diif lock, no belts The problem is I think he paid like $22 k .Good toys are expense or like my friend always says being rich is expensive.

tipper
06-11-2017, 10:22 AM
A friend of mine just bought a Honda 1000. That machine is awesome. Crazy power, diif lock, no belts The problem is I think he paid like $22 k .Good toys are expense or like my friend always says being rich is expensive.

I always here the no belt no problem. The tranny on the Honda is junk and i'll take changing a belt any day over buying a new transmission.

cootersnake
06-11-2017, 11:10 AM
I have a Kawasaki teryx4 and the thing is awesome. I would imagine the 2 seater version would be just as good. They are pretty compact but still have lots of room in the seats. There is F all for a box in the 4 seat version. I would absolutely buy one again if I was to do it all over.

Good2bCanadian
06-11-2017, 12:43 PM
I have my eye on the Yamaha Wolverine.
Looks to be a great side by each.
I heard rumors that 2018 is getting a bump in power.

t-rexer
06-11-2017, 09:25 PM
08 Kawasaki teryx only problem is finding the time to use it outside of hintingbseason

Drillbit
06-12-2017, 12:48 AM

If I was going to buy a SxS, that's what I'd buy too.

Frango
06-12-2017, 07:57 AM
I always here the no belt no problem. The tranny on the Honda is junk and i'll take changing a belt any day over buying a new transmission. I don't know where you are getting your information from, Honda transmissions are bullet proof. I am a member of a quad club and you would be hard pressed to find many people saying that the tranny's in Hondas are junk. Like life shit happens and things break.

Shortmag300
06-12-2017, 07:59 AM
X2 on the teryx 4 I have over 10,000 km on my 2012 and I have taken it to hell and back . My father who has had a broken backcan ride all day with me and not get sore in the bucket seats.and everything is inside the cage so no fenders to tear off in tight areas

Rotorwash
06-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!
I've been researching all of the models you guys put out there. I think I am favoring the polaris 570 ranger fullsize. It just seems like you get alot for the price.I stopped by a dealer today and went over them. the 50" rzr seems like it would be great getting more places but the box on the ranger has me all but decided between the 2. I cant see fitting a bear moose or elk in that small rzr box, a deer maybe. that new general looked like a great unit but it was just way past what I am able to pay right now. I have still got to hit the yamaha and honda/canam shops. Theres no kawi shop anywhere near me so I might have to road trip to check one out.

REMINGTON JIM
06-12-2017, 08:56 PM
I have my eye on the Yamaha Wolverine.
Looks to be a great side by each.
I heard rumors that 2018 is getting a bump in power.

YUP i think the Yammy Wolverine is a Serious contender ! :smile: RJ

canadiancon
06-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!
I've been researching all of the models you guys put out there. I think I am favoring the polaris 570 ranger fullsize. It just seems like you get alot for the price.I stopped by a dealer today and went over them. the 50" rzr seems like it would be great getting more places but the box on the ranger has me all but decided between the 2. I cant see fitting a bear moose or elk in that small rzr box, a deer maybe. that new general looked like a great unit but it was just way past what I am able to pay right now. I have still got to hit the yamaha and honda/canam shops. Theres no kawi shop anywhere near me so I might have to road trip to check one out.

Run don't walk away from the Polaris dealer, they have serious issues going on right now. I had a rzr 1000 and the thing fell apart in 1000 miles. It was mainly used for trail riding with the occasional mud hole and fsr. Front diff, reverse chain, rear driveshaft balance issues, oh and they catch on fire. After owning new Polaris snowmobile and a rzr I would never own another Polaris.

Rotorwash
06-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Run don't walk away from the Polaris dealer, they have serious issues going on right now. I had a rzr 1000 and the thing fell apart in 1000 miles. It was mainly used for trail riding with the occasional mud hole and fsr. Front diff, reverse chain, rear driveshaft balance issues, oh and they catch on fire. After owning new Polaris snowmobile and a rzr I would never own another Polaris.

Wow!! What years if you dont mind me asking?

Rotorwash
06-12-2017, 11:51 PM
So has anyone tried out the canam defender?

Stroodle
06-13-2017, 06:16 AM
Been using the CanAm Defender in the 800 for a couple years at work - worked out a couple of bugs on the first year model and the new ones seem to be working very well. I personally have been running my Yamaha Rhino for years and have just over 27,000km on it. I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market today. If the Yamaha Wolverine would step it up to a 1000 I'd be all over it like a fat kid in a candy store. I have not had any good luck with any Polaris I have ever dealt with. Haven't used one in a number of years but it's hard to get convinced to try again after such crap that was put out when I was trying them. Good luck and regardless what you get, you will enjoy the ride over an ATV almost guaranteed!

swampthing
06-13-2017, 07:16 AM
Lousy to see all the bad polaris problems! We have about 10 side by sides for work. Mostly polaris 800s in both full and mid size. We have never had a failure! Not even a burnt belt. They do wear out suspension bushings way too fast though. They have anywhere from 2500 to 8000 miles on them. My latest company side by side is a Yamaha Viking. As said its not a powerhouse but its an extremely smooth, well handling machine. I really enjoy it

S.W.A.T.
06-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Lousy to see all the bad polaris problems! We have about 10 side by sides for work. Mostly polaris 800s in both full and mid size. We have never had a failure! Not even a burnt belt. They do wear out suspension bushings way too fast though. They have anywhere from 2500 to 8000 miles on them. My latest company side by side is a Yamaha Viking. As said its not a powerhouse but its an extremely smooth, well handling machine. I really enjoy it

Every machine has its problems, the reason you hear so much about the Polaris line is because they are leaders in the industry. When you sell the most it's easy for everyone to point the finger at the flaws.

It's all about what you want and don't want. Many options out there for sure but if you want quality and durability stick with the north American brands

Grumpa Joe
06-13-2017, 07:39 AM
I bought a Yamaha Viking last year. Wanted something that would seat more than 2 people without having to go to the longer wheelbase. I believe it is 4 " wider than a standard SxS. We've had 3 full sized guys in it for extended drives without discomfort. It isn't business class by any means but better than economy for sure. I have gone into places with it that I never thought it could go. Plenty of power to move three adults, all their gear, 2 Elkhounds and game.

Do your research and look at the available models. As said above, every manufacturer and model have good results and supporters as well as the occasional lemon.

canadiancon
06-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Wow!! What years if you dont mind me asking?

2015 rzr 1000 and a 2014 pro rmk. The rzr belt drive system sucks, if you go in water above the tires it fills the belt housing and you cook belts, for a 22000$ machine it was poorly built, I would hate to see it if I actually drove the thing hard. My snowmobile blew up an engine at 800 miles, front a-arms came apart. Again it wasn't rode near as hard as a mountain sled should be. My buddy has a can am maverick he has rolled it twice, swamped it jumped it etc and hasn't even cooked a belt.

Darksith
06-13-2017, 03:07 PM
lots of Yamaha Rhino's out there. They won't be the fastest thing out there, but its for hunting not racing. Also I find that top speed really means nothing as most of the riding we do in BC is trail riding...you want decent low end. If I was to do it all over again I wouldn't change much, I would still buy my rhino 700...maybe even the yamaha Rhino 450 simply bc it can pass all of the weight restrictions in BC in places like the Muskwa Ketchika management area. How much power does a guy need? Why pull all that extra weight? The 450 will still drag out a moose, and it has a winch. The smaller the machine the more places it will go and an even bigger deal is the easier it is to get out of sticky situations!

If I had $15k, I'd buy a used machine and refit it...you can redo the engine or replace it for under $3k if you pay someone to do everything. All new axles and running gear is $2k, upgrade the tires and clutch system $1800...buy the machine for $5k and you are styling with a great like new ride and have cash to spare for custom items like Tracks for winter ;)

Darksith
06-13-2017, 03:09 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13886477_10154195404685358_6420806540430542494_n.j pg?oh=e0a145c8f5c81e4dd08791e6464468b6&oe=59D7F807
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13533261_10154105831770358_3793445112541819446_n.j pg?oh=8a998f99426495202952e80a6257d844&oe=59E3E95D
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/1501561_10152104969880358_1876061987_o.jpg?oh=73a8 c78f79cacc9500ed791e5d9c772c&oe=59A20010

browningboy
06-13-2017, 09:36 PM
The konker has a wicked one, 250cc and it's a 8 passenger but good on fuel, large dump box but all instructions are in another language

AgSilver
06-13-2017, 11:32 PM
For all of you with the 60" wide models, do you ever find them limiting? (i.e. have you ever said "damn, I can't get through there" and then a quad goes through?)

Just thinking about the options.

tipper
06-14-2017, 06:13 AM
For all of you with the 60" wide models, do you ever find them limiting? (i.e. have you ever said "damn, I can't get through there" and then a quad goes through?)

Just thinking about the options.
Yep. I can't go places that I used to go on the quads but i'm ok with that. being safe and comfy with tons of cargo space and able to talk with buddy is worth it.

tipper
06-14-2017, 06:18 AM
So has anyone tried out the canam defender?

Demo one! Night and day compared to the ranger. I almost went the polaris route but after trying one of these out the quality, the cab storage and layout the clutching and gearing pretty much everything about them is better.

jacksondog
06-14-2017, 06:38 AM
I know 2 people who have recently purchased new side by sides, one Polaris General and the the other is a Yamaha Wolverine, both are very happy with their choices and were cheaper than a Can-am.

Rotorwash
06-14-2017, 10:13 AM
I like the canam defender. there seems to be a lot of thought put into the cockpit and storage areas. I know one guy that owns one and is really unimpressed with it tho, I suppose you get that with any product. I do like the rotax engine in them.
they are 62" wide and alot heavier than the ranger tho. a few thousand more as well.
I wish that 50" rzr had just a little more storage.

elksmasher
06-14-2017, 11:14 AM
My 2013 570 RZR, just dusted its belt last fall,4500 miles. It has been a great comfortable machine .There is no comparison to a quad. Much safer more comfort,drives like a car. Packed deer and all the gear ,backpacks,chainsaw fuel ,cook stove,slings, chain, winch and baddog bumper,spare belt and tools.200ft of cable,etc.No problem.
Will go just about anywhere.Check the RZR Forum lots of great and neccesary info on it. Really easy to service as well.

Darksith
06-14-2017, 01:31 PM
being able to fit your SxS in the back of your truck really gives you way more options down the road too! Think about that before you buy a bigger model, not to mention fitting down some of the smaller trails and tighter corners
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-9/13501793_10154101539735358_8658277664506082575_n.j pg?oh=7b007c4f50bc05f46c8549c808c2f050&oe=59D668BB

Good2bCanadian
06-14-2017, 01:47 PM
My 2013 570 RZR, just dusted its belt last fall,4500 miles. It has been a great comfortable machine .There is no comparison to a quad. Much safer more comfort,drives like a car. Packed deer and all the gear ,backpacks,chainsaw fuel ,cook stove,slings, chain, winch and baddog bumper,spare belt and tools.200ft of cable,etc.No problem.
Will go just about anywhere.Check the RZR Forum lots of great and neccesary info on it. Really easy to service as well.

If you ever need to replace your suspension bushings. Look at DK Off-road out of Alberta.
I bought their complete eurethane kit to replace every bushing on my XP and they have outlasted the stock bushings incredibly.
About the only issue I have had with my xp was the bushings. I greased them regularly and they still wore out bad.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-14-2017, 02:05 PM
If you go with a new polaris ... get the Turf mode delete kit ...
that said I have a 2006 Polaris ranger 700

awesome machine and will go literally anywhere I point it with the locking diff and good tires ... Never really came across a point where I couldn't fit on a 2 track ATV trail if I did its a rare case and a chainsaw would take care of that issue in a hurry

ROY-alty33
06-14-2017, 03:35 PM
Kept me from purchasing one last year, but about half the machines up there were SXS.
Arctic cat trail would be my purchase.

Rotorwash
06-17-2017, 10:17 AM
For the guys with the 50" rzrs, how do you pack your game out? It seems to me like theres not enough room in the box but I hear of guys doing it

KodiakHntr
06-17-2017, 02:43 PM
In chunks probably, the same as us guys with atv's do...

Stroodle
06-20-2017, 04:42 PM
The weight restriction topic is a valid concern. I was nailed in the Sikinni River area with my rhino a couple years back - CO was on the sat phone for an hour collecting information about the weight of my machine and what he could do. He was trying to arrange for a helicopter to come in from FSJ and have it flown to the airstrip on my dime plus confiscate it. My rhino is 1142 lbs/518kg.(owners manual) It is one of the lighter SxS's out there. 18kg over limit. I ended up loosing the use of it for the rest of the trip, couldn't use it to haul out our gear and had to pay a fine that if wasn't paid in 30 days would potentially cause the loss of my hunting license. I stopped going to that area because of this. Others in that area didn't seem to be affected by the rules, such as the guide/outfitter in the area that pulled up days later in his Ford pick up! Small rant, but basically the weight issue can be real. Oh, and it doesn't matter if you have 3000 lbs of moose/elk/buf stacked in your trailer behind your machine, because that would be ok. Crazy rule??

Rotorwash
06-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Ouch...!! doesnt make any sense to me..

IslandWanderer
06-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Every time I see the title I think it's about shotguns. I must really want that coach gun I've been looking at.

Darksith
06-20-2017, 08:03 PM
The weight restriction topic is a valid concern. I was nailed in the Sikinni River area with my rhino a couple years back - CO was on the sat phone for an hour collecting information about the weight of my machine and what he could do. He was trying to arrange for a helicopter to come in from FSJ and have it flown to the airstrip on my dime plus confiscate it. My rhino is 1142 lbs/518kg.(owners manual) It is one of the lighter SxS's out there. 18kg over limit. I ended up loosing the use of it for the rest of the trip, couldn't use it to haul out our gear and had to pay a fine that if wasn't paid in 30 days would potentially cause the loss of my hunting license. I stopped going to that area because of this. Others in that area didn't seem to be affected by the rules, such as the guide/outfitter in the area that pulled up days later in his Ford pick up! Small rant, but basically the weight issue can be real. Oh, and it doesn't matter if you have 3000 lbs of moose/elk/buf stacked in your trailer behind your machine, because that would be ok. Crazy rule??

exactly...thats why I might go with a used 450 vs some of the 660's, 700 or even bigger rigs

Rotorwash
06-21-2017, 09:19 PM
I think the polaris rzr 570 trail is 996 lbs.

sled-fiend
06-22-2017, 07:03 AM
YUP i think the Yammy Wolverine is a Serious contender ! :smile: RJ

I agree, so much so that I bought one a few months ago. I love it!

firebird
06-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Ill 2nd the TEryx. they are a tank and built in nebraska. Lots and lots of value for your money.

tipper
06-23-2017, 09:04 PM
The teryx is is a great machine for sure! I researched these damn things for over a year.. Read up on different forums etc. talked to folks that owned them, tried a few out.
I only wish mine would fit in the box of a pickup..keep that in mind like others have posted.

bloody bellies
06-23-2017, 09:36 PM
I have a 2013 can am xp 1000, works great for hunting, and for just exploring, very comfortable seats, and has snap when needed, by buddy has a kawi, lots of northern outfitters use these, they have a space behind the seat for storage, good machines

604redneck
06-23-2017, 11:07 PM
I've never had the success with Honda ATVs that everyone else has had... every single one I've owned has had transmission issues. EVERY. SINGLE.ONE.

Having said that, there are two good things about Honda:
1) Fuel Mileage
2) Since Yamaha no longer makes the Rhino, I believe Honda has the narrowest SXS with a dump bed. Both things I really want when hunting (bed for game, narrow width to get down cut lines). Of course in their narrowest offering, the 4x4 system isn't that advanced.

If it were me, I'd look for a minty used Yamaha Rhino.

Me.

PS
The above is based on ATV experience of me moving from Hondas to Yamahas and my Dad sticking with Honda. I go places he can't, with a transmission that actually works but I also use about 25% more fuel with the same size engine (not a typo).
Once you put real miles and abuse on hondas you will know why they are best. Yamaha a close second.

firebird
06-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Ya one thing about the Teryx is it sits pretty high. Just the way it's designed, roll cage is tall. You sit in it like a utility machine it you can see the terrain an where your wheels are. My father in law has a Can am 800 and it's like off-roading in a corvette. You can't see what track your on or what's under your wheels. It kicks the Kawis butt in a straight line but I kill him with torque.

My teryx plays in the mud on the weekends, pulls the utility trailer gardening with my wife once and awhile and also does it's duty during the hunting season. And feels comfortable doing it all.

Dads got a 50" wildcat 800. It's like the little brother. Fast fun and a blast to drive, low and nimble. But it's not a serious machine, built light duty as well.

I find the Yamahas are a wide machine.

The Honda pioneer was actually the machine I was going to buy but my Honda dealer is a d!ck and is a little more utility than the Teryx. Kawi was priced much better too. Glad I didn't buy the pioneer. (I have a 2001 foreman that's still going strong, I love Honda)

Can am am I don't see why you pay 5k more for it made in Mexico and expensive parts/ add ons.

Polaris, never owned one but know 3 guys with po po sportsmans, various years and nothing but problems and our dealer is pricy

Buckmeister
06-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Find anything yet? I always believe these are a great alternative to the modern SXS as these could be called the "original" sxs....one for sale right now on Kijiji
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kamloops/1951-willys-jeep/1271765681?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1951 Willys Jeep

Rotorwash
06-26-2017, 08:36 AM
No I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I keep going back and forth between brands and models. So far I'm leaning towards the 50 RZR tho.

I like those old Willys. Now that would be a fun project

Rotorwash
07-01-2017, 12:04 PM
I ended up going with the RZR 900 trail. Not exactly the ideal hunting machine with such small cargo area, but it was the one the wife was the most comfortable in and liked driving the best. I think I'll just need to fab up a trailer for hauling larger game out with. Sure is fun to drive!!

S.W.A.T.
07-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Great unit, not much of a hunting buggy and not really sure what they are capable of towing as far as a trailer goes but will be tins of fun in the back country. Enjoy your purchase and congrats.

okas
07-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Can-Am seems to be the one now i had the other crap and they all crap for what you pay its just some are better

okas
07-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Find anything yet? I always believe these are a great alternative to the modern SXS as these could be called the "original" sxs....one for sale right now on Kijiji
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kamloops/1951-willys-jeep/1271765681?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

1951 Willys Jeep YUP when it is down just leave it in the bush like all the other heavy stuff

okas
07-02-2017, 06:08 PM
hondas are nice for sure but really are farm use

Goose
07-13-2017, 09:29 PM
Just a random question, but what about the sxs's from companies like John Deer (diesel), Kubota, etc. They all have 4x4 options, some offer diesels, most have dump beds. their built strong and reliable. they go decently fast (for hunting purposes) they are cheap and easy to repair. im not sure on the cost of these machines, but I cant see them being much more than 15. but im probably wayy off

I dunno, just throwing out a thought......cheers!

S.W.A.T.
07-13-2017, 09:37 PM
Just a random question, but what about the sxs's from companies like John Deer (diesel), Kubota, etc. They all have 4x4 options, some offer diesels, most have dump beds. their built strong and reliable. they go decently fast (for hunting purposes) they are cheap and easy to repair. im not sure on the cost of these machines, but I cant see them being much more than 15. but im probably wayy off

Wouldn't say cheap and easy to repair, good luck finding a scan diesel mechanic

Darksith
07-13-2017, 09:47 PM

I have a friend with a Kubota. I have been working on his as much as mine...no different, maintenance is maintenance. The idea of having a diesel is intriguing though, its much more plentiful in the bush in case of emergency, and I can see the advantage if you also drive a diesel truck, just the same as if you drive a gas and have a gas SxS...only pack 1 type of fuel, and diesel is easier to pack more of via tidy tanks.

S.W.A.T.
07-13-2017, 09:55 PM
Grandpa loves his Kubota, not much of a speed demon and really heavy. Excellent around the farm though

hawk-i
07-14-2017, 06:29 AM
I've got a Polaris ranger 570 midsize with power steering. ....got it last year and have over 4000 kms on it now...absolutely zero problems.

My son bought the same model and his has been great as well.

I installed a 2 inch lift and added 27 inch tires...still fits in the box on my truck and is easy on fuel.....best hunting ATV I've owned and I've been doing this since the early 80's.

Rotorwash
07-14-2017, 08:34 AM
I see that they make a diesel ranger as well.

S.W.A.T.
07-14-2017, 10:10 AM
I see that they make a diesel ranger as well.

Yes but as I mentioned before good luck finding a diesel SxS mechanic.

Again extremely heavy, although there are some pretty cool options for the diesel model like gen sets and compressors and welders